Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2023, 13:56   #46
BHPian

Re: Citroen C3 Aircross Review

Today's Automotive market is immensely competitive.
Looking at this product, both on road and in images, it seems straight from 2010-2012, when Duster was launched by Renault.
I feel PSA (Citroen) is a decade late in launching this product.
No USP at all, typical French approach to launch a new product in their new market.

1 model, 1 Variant, 1 powertrain equates to nothing but a big failure.
If someone is in market in that segment, will this car be under his/her consideration or not is a serious question.
Adding to its woes, there are new facelifts, all new global product launches happening in the same segment which are offering hygiene and first in segment features.

This all will come down to pricing, but still difficult it would see the light beyond factory carpark.
Sudeep_Kimster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 16:02   #47
BHPian

Another dead on arrival product. Do better Citroen.
Bhodrolok is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 20:29   #48

I don't get why many are upset about not having the newest fancy features that make THEM happy. Different cars are for different needs and wants. Sometimes it's fine to accept a product as it is, thinking it might work for someone else, instead of rejecting it on a platform that's super influential like this.

Thumbs up to Citroen for this. I like Citroen's way of sorting the most basic like ride & handling and other usability problems for our conditions instead of just adding a checklist of features. It feels like they put a lot of care and thought into making a solid reliable product. I think the rear camera is a last-minute concession to peer pressure

And, I've got this fun idea of how cool it would be to have this car with an AWD option too! You know, like the Yeti, that would make for an incredibly fun and fantastic vfm mid size package.
neith is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 23:23   #49
BHPian

Started off their Indian Market with a a very good product in the form of Citroen C5 Aircross. But Citroen C3 Aircross even though seems to be a practical product but lacks many basic features

1. Keyless entry / go - This is a very useful feature as we don't have to take the key out of our pocket . For absent minded people like me its a wonderful feature as i zip up my pocket and remains intact .

2. Automatic Climate control - We are in 2023 and we don't have automatic climate control . Come on Citroen what is your product strategy .

3. Automatic variant - the market is moving towards automatic . Not everyone is a enthusiast who wants a manual these days . People want a No nonsense car which can be pondered in traffic with ease .

4. Halogen Headlamp - World is running in LED's and projector and they are bringing in a very basic halogen headlamp (Cant comment much because maybe the response of the halogen reflectors are good ). They could have atleast given a halogen projector.
Other major omissions which may not be basic are sunroof , auto headlamps , illuminated glovebox , cruise control , 6 airbags etc. The only way ahead for this car would be the way Citroen is going to price it . The pricing should undercut all its rivals to have hopes of staying alive in the market .
sriniadk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 09:17   #50
Senior - BHPian

A lot of misses here. I was really looking forward for the automatic version. I thought Citroen had learnt their lesson with the C3, but no. They have made the same blunders again. With a more powerful petrol engine and an automatic transmission, this would have made wonders and freshened up an overcrowded segment. Why do I get the déjà vu feeling that they are going to do a big blunder again on the price front?

Thank you Citroen, but I am holding on to my Ford EcoSport which is superior to this car in many aspects. Good luck selling this car in the Indian market.
Old 8th August 2023, 11:59   #51

We can expect a better-equipped C3 Aircross in the next iteration (like they did for C3).
I can live with the features they offer if this car manages to do better than Ertiga and Carens in a crash test.
Old 8th August 2023, 12:52   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriniadk View Post
4. Halogen Headlamp - World is running in LED's and projector and they are bringing in a very basic halogen headlamp (Cant comment much because maybe the response of the halogen reflectors are good ). They could have atleast given a halogen projector.
Its like Alloy wheels - It is expected to be there regardless of whether steel wheels will do the job or not. One thing is true, its very expensive to have a properly working LED headlamps, not just LED headlamps for the heck of it.
Kosfactor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 14:03   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1211 View Post
... I mean common we are not upgrading from an Ambassador ...
When you partner with Hindustan Motor's parent group who still think the Ambassador is the best vehicle ever made, why do expect them to not think that.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 15:08   #54
Senior - BHPian

Autocar expects Citroen to price this at 11.5 L to have a chance at success.

This one at 11.5 L and the awaited automatic at 12.5 L can be a great pricing. Would you buy it at that price ?

A cruise control and automatic at 12.5L would do it for me.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th August 2023 at 17:25. Reason: Fixed linked URL.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 15:21   #55
BHPian

Quote:
The Citroen C5 Aircross comes with a MacPherson strut suspension with "double progressive hydraulic cushions" at the front and a twist beam axle with single progressive hydraulic cushions at the rear.
That is from the C5 Aircross review.

What about the C3 Aircross? Does it have the cushions? It isn't explicitly mentioned.
Old 8th August 2023, 18:32   #56
Senior - BHPian

After going through several reviews, what I could make out was:

It has an engine, enthusiasts will like. Especially if we compare it to the naturally aspirated competition.

It rides well, is comfortable and handles good too.

-- --

Unfortunate that Citroen chose to go towards the wrong cost cutting path.

People expected a mini C5 and they offered a maxi Kwid.

-- --

I really liked what Triumph did with the 400. They announced the price first.

The reviews were done, knowing what people are going to get for the money.

Had Citroen done the same, the reviews would have been slightly different.

Knowing what part of the 4.3 metre segment the Aircross is going up against, the reviewers, perhaps, would have seen it differently.

Right now, almost everyone is comparing it to the top end variants of the competition, which in all likelihood, it wont compete against.
ashutoshb is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 00:18   #57
BHPian

My observations -

1) Citroen C3 Aircross looks very good, (subjective personal opinion) and the paint schemes are brilliant.

2) This would've looked awesome with LED lights all around, perhaps an aftermarket kit will do it later.

3) The engine, although a 3 cylinder, is potent for the class and offers good torque.

4) Ride quality seems good and handling is apparently great.

5) Interior seems missing a LOT of features, that are now part of any car upwards of 10 lakhs.

6) More than features missing, the materials, quality, fit and finish is a HUGE let down. It just looks downright cheap and feels like from 20 years ago.

7) Competition is HOT in the 10-15 lakh bracket.

8) You want a cheap 7 seater, get lower variant of Carens or mid variant of Ertiga.

9) You want a cheap 5 seater, you have a choice of like 5-10 different cars.

10) Seems like this car would appeal more for the rural areas, but their dealership network is sparse.

If it was me, I would've named it C4 Aircross, made it premium with automatic and all gizmos and launched it at 15-20 lakhs (just like they did in China a couple of years ago).

Hard to see a reason why buy this, at any price? This car to me is in no mans land.

Last edited by inwester : 9th August 2023 at 00:20.
inwester is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 01:42   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Autocar expects Citroen to price this at 11.5 L to have a chance at success.

This one at 11.5 L and the awaited automatic at 12.5 L can be a great pricing. Would you buy it at that price?

A cruise control and automatic at 12.5L would do it for me.
The 7-seater configuration is a gimmick. Practically, C3 Aircross is a spacious 5-seater for most people.

Looking it as a 5-seater SUV, I recall the Brezza VXI AT is only 11.15L ex showroom with the bigger, smoother 4-cylinder 1.5L engine with a 6-speed AT. The current generation of Brezza feels a lot better inside than this car. Also has better fuel economy, and a whole list of features the C3 Aircross is missing. The AT even has paddle shifters.

Yes, the C3 Aircross is a longer vehicle, but I don't see Citroen getting away with charging 12.5L for the AT, a 1.35L premium over the Brezza automatic when the C3 Aircross feels cheap right from the time you pick up the key and open the door using those handles. It doesn't have the big car premium feel to make you believe it's the better choice. Citroen will only get a few buyers who want the bigger boot or the 7 seats for very occasional use.

With the current configuration of the C3 Aircross, Citroen will need bombshell pricing. It might work if it is ~2 Lacs above the C3 Shine. That'll be approx 9.6L for the manual and 10.7-11L (ex-showroom) with a good automatic, cruise control and hill hold. If Citroen need to charge more, they would have been better off making it a proper premium product that can fight with the Creta. This one can't.
guptad42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 07:00   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptad42 View Post
The 7-seater configuration is a gimmick. Practically, C3 Aircross is a spacious 5-seater for most people.

Looking it as a 5-seater SUV, I recall the Brezza VXi AT is only 11.15L ex-showroom with the bigger, smoother 4-cylinder 1.5L engine with a 6-speed AT. The current generation of Brezza feels a lot better inside than this car. Also has better fuel economy, and a whole list of features the C3 Aircross is missing. The AT even has paddle shifters.

Yes, the C3 Aircross is a longer vehicle, but I don't see Citroen getting away with charging 12.5L for the AT, a 1.35L premium over the Brezza automatic when the C3 Aircross feels cheap right from the time you pick up the key and open the door using those handles. It doesn't have the big car premium feel to make you believe it's the better choice. Citroen will only get a few buyers who want the bigger boot or the 7 seats for very occasional use.
I agree the Brezza would have better interiors. But with respect to interior space and boot space, the C3 Aircross seems to win hands down. The dimensions speak for themselves. The best in Creta segment wheelbase speaks volumes.

Also with regards to the engine, the 1.5 NA on Brezza is average at best. Going by the reviews, the 1.2 turbo of Citroen is way more powerful and a fun engine. I had driven the C3 and can vouch for the same. The added weight hasn't dulled the performance of the Aircross. Then there's the ride and handling factor which Citroen seems to be best in this class. Forget Brezza (whose steering doesn't even return to centre), this seems to be one segment up best in class!

The pricing would be crucial, but given a choice between Brezza VXi AT and C3 Aircross AT at 12.5L, I would undoubtedly pick the C3 Aircross.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th August 2023 at 23:06. Reason: Capital letters
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 08:39   #60
BHPian

Even if I wanted to buy this thing, even if it has ticked all the right boxes, that darn power window switches behind the handbrake will always remind of the Alto 800 that I drove in the Jurassic era. It's also an ergonomic disaster. A car is an aspirational product, more so in the case of the C3 Aircross, which a lower segment buyer may eye. But that eyesore power window switches will always remind of the past. Am willing to bet money many Indians will stay away because of this small factor - why will they spend over a million rupees in a car that will keep reminding them everyday of their first cheap ride? Car makers should stop infantilizing Indian buyers.
driver52001 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks