Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2023, 10:28   #61
BHPian

Re: 2023 Tata Nexon Facelift Review

A good upgrade to an already decent vehicle. Now they need to launch an upgraded EV version and add adaptive cruise control and it would become the perfect vehicle!
Old 7th September 2023, 10:54   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorDev View Post
Here are some problems identified in the new Nexon, as discussed in Gagan Choudhary's video:
To add, the way in which the left switch panel on the steering wheel does not align with the center screen as well as the right one does (at least in this unit) is enough to irritate me on a daily basis. The steering 'looks' fresh but I'm doubtful that it will age well. If it scratches up it will become dull and the switches already sound very cheap.

2023 Tata Nexon Facelift Review-snapshot.jpg

I do not know how in this day and age there's such inconsistencies even between different units of the same car. For instance a relative of mine and I both have a Tiago manufactured within a month of each other. My clutch bite point is completely different to the other car, the fit of the rear hatch is worse in mine and my rear seats once folded take a lot more force to lock back into place, that too just on the left side latch. Strong QC has never been Tata's forte and I do not really see them improving in the near future.

Having said all that the rest of the interior and exterior changes are just stunning. The addition of the 360 cameras are really does add to the overall safety. There are still niggles in the system as pointed out in the video but most of them can be (and should be) sorted out with software updates. However there's no hiding the fact that QC issues do really take away from the ownership experience, more so than other limitations with the package itself since the latter is more likely to be known to the buyer beforehand.
sravankrishnan is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 12:00   #63
BHPian

Nexon has something for everyone, I belive that the biggest addition in this facelift is a proper A/T. I would have bought a nexon if it had a proper AT few years ago.

As usual it'll take few months to figure out the variant distribution.Wish tata had ditched the AMT would've kept variant distribution cleaner. A car costing more than 10 L should have a proper auto box.

We can expect the fully loaded variant to cost around 17L OTR, if space is the main criteria for a buyer there are other options available in that price point.

When a new model undergoes Road testing, wonder what gets tested? Pretty basic things like placement of buttons on steering wheel close to thumb contours can't be ignored.

If I am buying the fully loaded top end, I would wait for at least 6 months to know how serious these electronic related niggles are.
Old 7th September 2023, 12:08   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Great review as always!

As good as the Nexon looks, I feel there are just too many individual panels on the body in some places which does not make the car look clean.

Take example of this. In order to increase the width of the black wheel arch cladding they have an additional panel on the door. Expect this to come off in case of a minor brush in traffic.
The typical Tata bashing is on in this thread, some deservedly so, but congrats this one is peak nitpicking.

I can't even comprehend how someone can come up with stuff like this.

Go dig up some pics from the Hexa review. As an owner I've had two instances of the cladding brushing in traffic, one at decent speeds, and nothing happened. I hope it'll be bolted on securely on the Nexon too.
TROOPER is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 12:24   #65
Senior - BHPian

Tata Nexon facelift looks decent enough in base-spec Smart trim

Tata Motors recently unveiled the Nexon facelift. The compact SUV gets several design updates inspired by the Curvv concept. While the higher variants come loaded with a tonne of tech and features, the base trim does not look too terrible either.

2023 Tata Nexon Facelift Review-screenshot-20230907-121727.jpg

The entry-level 'Smart' variant of the Nexon gets the same striking LED daytime running lights and gloss black front fascia as the higher trims. However, the black plastics make the front bumper look a bit bland. It gets black door handles, body side cladding and wheel arches, and black ORVMs with integrated turn indicators.

2023 Tata Nexon Facelift Review-nexon1.jpg

As expected, the interior looks relatively dreary compared to the higher variants. The Smart variant gets a grey dashboard with a manual AC, a semi-digital instrument cluster and the new 2-spoke flat-bottom steering wheel. However, there's no touchscreen infotainment system and it also misses out on features like electric sunroof, ventilated front seats, 360-degree camera, and cruise control; among others.

2023 Tata Nexon Facelift Review-nexon2.jpg

The Nexon facelift will be offered in four trims: Smart, Pure, Creative and Fearless. The same 1.2-litre petrol and 1.5-litre diesel engines will be carried over. However, this time, the petrol engine will get a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic option.

2023 Tata Nexon Facelift Review-nexon3.jpg
TusharK is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 12:47   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Yes, no DPF. You can ride without the fear of clogging. As I mentioned in another post, just run any car for a minimum of 1000 kms a month in a mixed 50:50 city-highway cycle and you can enjoy your car for years to come.
Sorry, I am still not able to follow the need for highway runs if there is no problem DPF getting clogged as the DPF itself is not present. Or am I missing something here.
Old 7th September 2023, 12:52   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Great review as always!

As good as the Nexon looks, I feel there are just too many individual panels on the body in some places which does not make the car look clean.
If you think on a long term, having more no of child panels instead of one big panel is in best interests for insurance companies, Tata motors sustainability goals, environment and customers.
steadfast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 12:56   #68
BHPian

With such similar power and torque figures, how is the overall drivability as compared to a VAG 1.0 TSI used in the VW Skoda 2.0 cars? Apart from the TC AT vs DCT difference, how would the manuals performance be in comparison to each other? Is there a big difference.
Old 7th September 2023, 13:03   #69
BHPian

An awesome review as always. A huge thumbs up!

But as I see it, no point coming out with a car that has futuristic design elements when in reality, cars given to customers undergo poor QC, have uneven panel gaps, poor fitment and reliability issues. Moreover, that petrol engine isn't fun to drive around with. No point having a DCA with it. TATA should work on getting the fundamentals right.
Old 7th September 2023, 13:13   #70
BHPian

Here's a video explaining the DCT transmission from Punch Powertrain, believe this is the same tech employed in the new Nexon:

vinair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 13:42   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx71 View Post
Sorry, I am still not able to follow the need for highway runs if there is no problem DPF getting clogged as the DPF itself is not present. Or am I missing something here.
Cross posting from my reply on
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5616208 (Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India)

Quote:
Quoting your post, you have the answer right there. The car's mechanicals are such that they are meant to run for as much as possible regularly. 4000 km per year is equivalent to keeping it idle.

It's the daily running that keeps all the parts in place. When the car is stationary for extended periods, the rubber parts (belts, tyres, beadings) tend to harden as they lose their elasticity. The metal parts (body, pulleys, hinges, suspension) tend to gather moisture from humidity/rain splashes/home wash and lose lubrication (oil/grease), causing creaks, squeaks and other obnoxious noises.

Over 33 years of being behind the wheel (12L+ km), I would say the absolute minimum a car should run is about 1000 km a month. Although German/European cars tend to be over-engineered, they face a huge challenge with our trying tropical conditions. Keeping a car idle is a heartache waiting to happen.
Quote:
Mineral oils also tend to settle down and lose viscosity over an extended layover. This is extremely harmful to the components of the engine. The seals can wear out.

The radiator will form a layer of sediment and be prone to rust. Air filters will get clogged and choked due to dampness and dust. The interiors will smell of mold or stale air. Even the finest leather will tend to show cracks. The seat cushion, the roof liners tend to sag. Also, the battery will have a lesser shelf life.

A weekly run of 150-200kms and a long drive of 500kms a month, will keep your car pristine till the next generation takes over. While the short city drives during the week enable the engine to work at different rpms, the long drives increase the longevity of the components by performing at optimal conditions.
The run is not for DPF. It's to keep the vehicle healthy over a long period. This pertains to all cars in general, not the Nexon alone.

Last edited by discoverwild : 7th September 2023 at 13:45.
discoverwild is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 13:44   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
The typical Tata bashing is on in this thread, some deservedly so, but congrats this one is peak nitpicking.
You are spot on!!

While I enjoy reading reviews of new cars on Team-Bhp, I don't like to read comments by many posters on Tata Cars due to such nitpicking. I try not to read the comments on Tata car reviews. Just landed here to check if things have changed, but looks like things are still the same.

Disclaimer: I am a happy owner of a 2011 Vista, 2015 Safari Storme 4x4 (totaled April 2022, saved our lives), 2022 Punch and 2019 (pre-owned bought in Jan 2023) Hexa XTA. I have owned a 2004 rattle snake Alto which gave me so many troubles during its lifetime.
speed79 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 15:30   #73
BHPian

Leaving the Tata Bashing aside(Maruti also came from the same stage, its just that the internet coverage was not more at that point of time), in some angles it looks like the Punch(especially the front 3/4), I am now so tempted to search for some after market DRLs for punch which mimic the Nexon indicators along with DRLs.
Old 7th September 2023, 15:36   #74
BHPian

This guy managed to extract 19kmpl from the DCA. Driving at 71kmph with cruise control in city mode with AC. So at higher speeds of around 100kmph should give around 16kmpl.
damodar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 15:41   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Tata Nexon facelift looks decent enough in base-spec Smart trim
Tata Motors recently unveiled the Nexon facelift. The compact SUV gets several design updates inspired by the Curvv concept. While the higher variants come loaded with a tonne of tech and features, the base trim does not look too terrible either.
The base variant is a no brainer option, considering all safety features are standard across the range.

But, TATA screwed up big time by not launching the diesel in the Smart trim. To add salt to the injury, the already average 1.2l petrol gets a 5 speed transmission, which one can assume will be the decades old TA65 gearbox from the indica days. Add to that the horrible digital instrument cluster, which is a real bother to use.

Another pet peeve is that the pre facelift Nexon had a basic non touchscreen music system in the lower variant. A dot display inside the slot (no protruding tablet) and the buttons and knobs retained below. But the new one seems to have done away with all.
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks