Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2024, 14:00   #451
BHPian

Re: 2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
If you reject a Tata car based on these kind of minor niggles, you wont be able to buy a car from them. The issue here is to debug such a minor niggle, was full disassembly of the car warranted? Even totaled car repair wont look like such a mess? What was the service center guys thinking? Why didn't they isolate the fault and then disassemble only that section? Can they ever put all this back with out impacting the aesthetics and functionality?
This definitely is not a minor niggle and let's not generalise. I have owned half a dozen Tata cars myself with absolutely niggle free ownership. But that's not what we are discussing here. Rather than further blaming what's not worked, let's help our friend and find a solution.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 14:05   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
This definitely is not a minor niggle and let's not generalise. I have owned half a dozen Tata cars myself with absolutely niggle free ownership. But that's not what we are discussing here. Rather than further blaming what's not worked, let's help our friend and find a solution.
Infotainment hang or ambient light issues are minor compared to other niggles faced in Tata cars. Their QA is either hit or miss. You can go through the forum to learn more. The smoke was reported not by OP but by the dealer before stripping the whole car. Other than a new car, what kind of solution will be acceptable to you after paying 34L? Even the factory cannot put the car back in original shape. You can understand if all this is done after some major accident.
poloman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 15:13   #453

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzrockz View Post
What shocked me was the led line on the tail, was only 1/4 th lit... Probably the owner and his family sitting inside the car were oblivious to.
This is such a coincidence! I probably saw the same car when I was on a road trip last weekend and was passing through Pune. I remember having the exact same feeling you had, when I saw a half-lit tail light on the brand new Safari. It could be the same Safari, or a different one, which could mean there are probably two new Safari's out there with the same issue!.

We had zeroed in to buy the Safari Dark as wanted a 7-seater but had to let go after reading so many troublesome ownership stories. I thank myself for buying the Kia Carens after we had bought the Ertiga Zxi. I still desire and deeply lust for the dark edition Safari, but the Kia Carens purchase was a head over heart decision. I cant thank myself enough as it has been a completely zero hassle, niggle-free experience for the last 10,000 km on the carens and close to 20,000 on the Ertiga. Never had one problem, the display has not hung even once. They both still run as new.
85kmph is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 15:44   #454
BHPian

Just got a notification regarding 1.2 lakhs off on Nexon EV LR while reading this ordeal.
But my better senses will prevail and I will look for other options.

In stark contrast to this, during the 30k service of my MG Hector during feedback call I just said that dealer took a little extra time to start the service (I gave the car at 11:00am and service started only at 2 pm so I received car very late). I told them it was not much of a problem though but still they were very proactive and apologized for the same. Next day manager of the service centre called and promised a better experience next time.
The service centre earned my trust through such a small act.

NOTE To MODS-
Maybe we can create a thread where, bhpians post the car they didn’t buy a particular car just because of the Bad service centre of the OEM.
Tanmay_868 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 21:36   #455

@cityscrambler; appreciate if you can look in to this and support a customer who trusted the Tata product and paid 34 big ones.. He would remember your help through his life..
MC@1986 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 10:29   #456
BHPian

Awaiting my Safari in Blue, Booking done almost a week back, got an allocation intimation.
Hoping to get my hands on the vehicle in a couple of weeks
Considered both XUV and Safari - irony is these were the 2 showrooms i did not step in almost a decade ago while finalizing on my Amaze 1.2 P.
Now these (Tata and Mahindra) are the only showrooms visited to make a choice, from that angle Indian manufacturers have come a long way.

Considerations
  • Sliding middle row - Makes life easy for 2 and 3rd row occupants
  • Powered tailgate
  • Looks (Subjective) , safari looks butch IMHO
  • slightly better 3rd row

Last edited by iceman07 : 14th February 2024 at 10:32.
Old 14th February 2024, 11:49   #457

Hi Folks,

I have booked my first tata car on 1st Feb 2024 online via cars.tatamotors.com , Tata Safari Accomplished+ AT. Sales person called yesterday and told that your car is allocated. But I did not get any SMS or mail from Tata motors. When I asked sales person he told you will get mail from dealer and mentioned that only after invoicing you will get the SMS or mail from tata motors.

When I booked from portal it was showing Estimated delivery as somewhere around April last week, Now it has changed to 27th Feb. that's the only positive change I see.

I want to understand how the process works from peolple who got tata vehicle recently. Do we get any timely update from tata motors on the allocation and delivery via SMS or mail?
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-screenshot-20240214-11.44.468239am.png  

vinayvec is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 14:12   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post
Sorry for the delayed update, got my Safari on 22.01.2024 and have been niggle free since then (fingers crossed). Ownership review under progress... being last quarter of the FY is making it tough to sit at a stretch and write it.

One thing that bothers me though is when you use USB for music it starts playing from the first song each time i start the car... is there a way to start playing from where we switched off??
Did a 650 Km drive (Delhi Mohali Delhi) and the Safari behaved pretty well, was amazed as the MID showed a FE of 19 kmpl.

Also would appreciate if any member would help me resolve the above issue of USB and today all of a sudden spotify refused to play using Car Play. A ny suggestions on that too would be nice
The_Warrior is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 19:27   #459
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman07 View Post
Awaiting my Safari in Blue, Booking done almost a week back, got an allocation intimation.
Hoping to get my hands on the vehicle in a couple of weeks
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvec View Post
Hi Folks,

I have booked my first tata car on 1st Feb 2024 online via cars.tatamotors.com ,
Hi both.

Are you not aware of the horrifying issues being reported on Nexon, Harrier and Safari right left and centre? Or are you both have a high risk appetite.

PS- I am not mocking your choices and neither giving you any kind of warning. I am just trying to understand the psyche of Tata motors car buyers (atleast on TBhp, who MIGHT be aware of the issues associated with Tata Cars) and the reasons for still going for a Nexon/Harrier or a Safari.

@Mods please delete this post if you feel it is inappropriate. Don't want to be the cause of any quarrels on this topic.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 19:53   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Hi both.

Are you not aware of the horrifying issues being reported on Nexon, Harrier and Safari right left and centre? ….

@Mods please delete this post if you feel it is inappropriate. Don't want to be the cause of any quarrels on this topic.
Sir, I have been a happy owner of the last year’s #Red Dark. Absolutely trouble free since May 23 till today. I would humbly submit that some of the issues seem to be over emphasised and some genuine. Ironically, I am writing this post today after I got Drive control fault and CEL on today evening.

There are many happy TML car owners all around and plenty of frustrated owners of other brands as well.
FLYBOYSID is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 20:23   #461
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
PS- I am not mocking your choices and neither giving you any kind of warning. I am just trying to understand the psyche of Tata motors car buyers (atleast on TBhp, who MIGHT be aware of the issues associated with Tata Cars) and the reasons for still going for a Nexon/Harrier or a Safari..
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYBOYSID View Post
There are many happy TML car owners all around and plenty of frustrated owners of other brands as well.
Thanks for your opinion. I forgot to mention my experience with cars till date. Between me and dad since 2000 we have owned a Maruti (9 years), Chevy (5 years), Honda (7 years), Ford (pre-owned, total age 5.5 years) and two Kias ( one is pre owned and now total age stands at 3 years, other is seltos facelift gt line DCT). In each of these cars there has not been a single niggle. Also these cars have never ever visited SVC for anything apart from routine service. I kind off have a OCD if anything in my car doesn't work as intended or if there are any reliability issues. I came to know about this OCD because a couple of Tata cars I recommended to my relatives have been extremely pain to maintain and everytime I visit in those, I am reminded that it is because of me these cars were bought. Thankfully, everything has worked in my and dad cars till date ( touchwood) and maybe this is why I was surprised at people still plonking 34+ L on a Tata vehicle.

Last edited by 07CR : 14th February 2024 at 20:26.
07CR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 21:12   #462
BHPian

Guys from Bangalore are lucky to get allocated cars quickly. Here in Gurgaon, I booked via Tata Arya on 29th Jan but no news on allocation so far.
Accomplished plus white (dual tone) 7 seated.
Sales advisor is internally cursing our forum as I have eaten his head after seeing your allocation
Old 14th February 2024, 23:49   #463

Quote:
Hi both.

Are you not aware of the horrifying issues being reported on Nexon, Harrier and Safari right left and centre? Or are you both have a high risk appetite.

PS- I am not mocking your choices and neither giving you any kind of warning. I am just trying to understand the psyche of Tata motors car buyers (atleast on TBhp, who MIGHT be aware of the issues associated with Tata Cars) and the reasons for still going for a Nexon/Harrier or a Safari.

Hi 07CR,

My Background: - my first car is POLO which I got in 2012 till date VW polo is fantastic car. Love the German engineering.
Even I can't take if car has fit and finish issues or reliability issues. but touchwood not even single time I had problem with polo.

My requirements while selecting a 7 seater family car
1. Good third row space.
2. Good to have features like ADAS, 360 Cam, Infotainment and music, ventilated seats, Sunroof etc.
3. GNCAP 5 Star rating ( this is a must have requirement).
4. Looks of the car (its subjective I know).

Cars I tried and rejected.
1. Fortuner (Third row head room was less , old school tech , price is on higher side and not a 5-star rated car)
2. XUV 700 (Good car but third row space is very less and 2nd row seats are not adjustable to make room for 3rd row, I don't know why but I did not get that feeling of driving a big car it was bit on softer side)
3. Skoda Kodiaq (good car but 3rd row is strictly for kids)
4. Jeep Meridian (again same good car but 3rd row is strictly for kids)
5. Hyundai and Kia 7 seaters (Korean cars I don't trust on safety their NCAP scores are bad, I love them only for features, they sometime beat Audi in that, 3rd row is bit cramped).
6. Toyota Innova Hycross (good car, I did not like the looks, and it's not tested for safety yet)

Coming to your question on why TATA: -
1. No proper German cars in 7-seater segment. I would have gone for German cars if they had good 7-seater.
2. Tata Safari is only 5 star rated 7-seater car in India and in my budget (I was ok to spend up to 50 lakhs for car)
3. OMEGARC platform.
4. I like looks of Safari.
5. Safari Facelift gets me all the features with a decent dashboard and interior designs.

Im taking a calculated risk by choosing tata by compromising on After sales service and reliability issue over safety. Lets see how it goes , i will keep posting here
vinayvec is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 12:41   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion.
Being a recent Tata Safari owner, I would also like to share my reasons for choosing the Safari over its competitors.

1. Lack of alternatives.
a. I test drove the XUV 700 however (and contrary to the general opinion), I found the Safari to drive better, have better NVH and slightly better interior quality. Also the Safari facelift has a few more features in comparison.
b. The Toyota Hycross was a good alternative. However, I believe the price delta between the Safari and the Hycross was approximately 4+ lakhs and the waiting period was just too long.
c. Tried the Hyundai Tuscon. Genuinely the best car in the segment however once again the price delta between the Safari and the Tuscon was approximately 4 lakhs which also landed the Tuscon in the Hycross territory.

2. Looks and drive quality. I know looks are not objective, however to me, the new Safari just looks smashing. The drive quality and comfort is also pretty good. Suspension set-up is one of the best in the segment.

3. Perceived niggles/issues. I have been driving a Honda Civic for the past 7 years. Even though it was a Honda (and hence expected to be reliable), I had my fair share of issues with the Civic such as leakage of power steering oil from the pump and the rack (known issues for Civic), engine mount failures, etc. Hence probably my threshold for future niggles/issues is relatively high. Having said the same, no owner would want niggles/issues in a new car. My new Safari also has a couple of issues which I have highlighted in my previous posts, chief being fogging in the rear connected DRL. This was supposed to be fixed prior to delivery however due to part unavailability, the dealership was unable to do so. The replacement part has now arrived and will have the same changed soon.

4. Safety. 5 star safety rating is definitely a strong selling point. It did help in firming my decision on the Safari.

5. Value for money. Even though the new Safari has been priced at a premium, I genuinely cannot think of a more value for money offering. I know the XUV 700 is a great alternative (and the sales figure certify the same) however the Safari somehow makes an emotional connect beyond words.

Best,
Enigmatic
Enigmatic is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 17:02   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Hi both.

While I agree I was in 2 minds after reading the comments here about the New Safari. But IMO I think the feedback/reviews are a bit tilted on the "what does not work" side, while others who have working vehicles do not say "all is well"

The same is true about dry DCT issues in Kia and other manufacturers, rear roof mounted AC water leaking issue in Carens, niggles when XUV700 was released, Jeep compass having wheel blown out for minor collision and many more such examples.

TATA might not have a water tight QC, but I think if any of the German/Korean/Japanese cars fail 1/million, Tata and Mahindra should be at 2-3/million not more. So yes technically there is chance you end up with a lemon but that's always there tad more tad less.

Seen a few Tata cars (Nexon and Tiago) owned by relatives, their service experience in bangalore has been satisfactory. Yes a couple of times things have to be re-done but that's TATA. I did not hear any major complaints.

As explained very well by:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Being a recent Tata Safari owner, I would also like to share my reasons for choosing the Safari over its competitors.

1. Lack of alternatives.
a. I test drove the XUV 700 however (and contrary to the general opinion), I found the Safari to drive better, have better NVH and slightly better interior quality. Also the Safari facelift has a few more features in comparison.
b. The Toyota Hycross was a good alternative. However, I believe the price delta between the Safari and the Hycross was approximately 4+ lakhs and the waiting period was just too long.
c. Tried the Hyundai Tuscon. Genuinely the best car in the segment however once again the price delta between the Safari and the Tuscon was approximately 4 lakhs which also landed the Tuscon in the Hycross territory.

2. Looks and drive quality. I know looks are not objective, however to me, the new Safari just looks smashing. The drive quality and comfort is also pretty good. Suspension set-up is one of the best in the segment.

3. Perceived niggles/issues. I have been driving a Honda Civic for the past 7 years. Even though it was a Honda (and hence expected to be reliable), I had my fair share of issues with the Civic such as leakage of power steering oil from the pump and the rack (known issues for Civic), engine mount failures, etc. Hence probably my threshold for future niggles/issues is relatively high. Having said the same, no owner would want niggles/issues in a new car. My new Safari also has a couple of issues which I have highlighted in my previous posts, chief being fogging in the rear connected DRL. This was supposed to be fixed prior to delivery however due to part unavailability, the dealership was unable to do so. The replacement part has now arrived and will have the same changed soon.

4. Safety. 5 star safety rating is definitely a strong selling point. It did help in firming my decision on the Safari.

5. Value for money. Even though the new Safari has been priced at a premium, I genuinely cannot think of a more value for money offering. I know the XUV 700 is a great alternative (and the sales figure certify the same) however the Safari somehow makes an emotional connect beyond words.

Best,
Enigmatic
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvec View Post
Hi 07CR,

My Background: - my first car is POLO which I got in 2012 till date VW polo is fantastic car. Love the German engineering.
Even I can't take if car has fit and finish issues or reliability issues. but touchwood not even single time I had problem with polo.

My requirements while selecting a 7 seater family car
1. Good third row space.
2. Good to have features like ADAS, 360 Cam, Infotainment and music, ventilated seats, Sunroof etc.
3. GNCAP 5 Star rating ( this is a must have requirement).
4. Looks of the car (its subjective I know).

Cars I tried and rejected.
1. Fortuner (Third row head room was less , old school tech , price is on higher side and not a 5-star rated car)
2. XUV 700 (Good car but third row space is very less and 2nd row seats are not adjustable to make room for 3rd row, I don't know why but I did not get that feeling of driving a big car it was bit on softer side)
3. Skoda Kodiaq (good car but 3rd row is strictly for kids)
4. Jeep Meridian (again same good car but 3rd row is strictly for kids)
5. Hyundai and Kia 7 seaters (Korean cars I don't trust on safety their NCAP scores are bad, I love them only for features, they sometime beat Audi in that, 3rd row is bit cramped).
6. Toyota Innova Hycross (good car, I did not like the looks, and it's not tested for safety yet)

Coming to your question on why TATA: -
1. No proper German cars in 7-seater segment. I would have gone for German cars if they had good 7-seater.
2. Tata Safari is only 5 star rated 7-seater car in India and in my budget (I was ok to spend up to 50 lakhs for car)
3. OMEGARC platform.
4. I like looks of Safari.
5. Safari Facelift gets me all the features with a decent dashboard and interior designs.

Im taking a calculated risk by choosing tata by compromising on After sales service and reliability issue over safety. Lets see how it goes , i will keep posting here
Decided to go in for Safari. I’m ready for SW niggles and will hope they get resolved in due time. Planning to enjoy the plush ride and mechanics untill such time

Last edited by Axe77 : 16th February 2024 at 13:00. Reason: Multiple formatting edits. Please do proof read your posts before submitting (caps, spacing, typos etc). Thank you.
iceman07 is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks