Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2017, 11:40   #1111
BANNED

Re: Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Bought a used Aria a couple of weeks ago.
Congrats on your new ride. Good choice. Definitely VFM considering the price you paid.

My Aria is little over 4 years old and doing good at about 57K kms. Tyres still look good for another 5K kms.

Last edited by Kishen.padiyar : 24th February 2017 at 12:07. Reason: asked a repeat question
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 17:59   #1112
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks man. Yes I do. Keeps them running fine. One reason I'm not "afraid" of used vehicles
Mind sharing details of the FNG you are using.
Old 27th February 2017, 09:02   #1113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Mind sharing details of the FNG you are using.
Sorry - didn't get that. What's FNG?
Old 27th February 2017, 09:08   #1114
BHPian

Quote:
FNG - Friendly Neighborhood Garage.
Old 27th February 2017, 10:00   #1115
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As already stated by Vikram, friendly neighborhood garage (RAC) which you are using. My ARIA still under warranty( up to May 2018). Would like to have an option ready, in case required
Old 27th February 2017, 11:19   #1116
Senior - BHPian

Ah thanks

RAC - Ranjith Autocare Centre - is in Koramangala. Ranjith Ballal rallies and the team knows and manages the mechanicals really well. My 16yr old Honda, dad's earlier Indigo and brother's Safari are all taken care of there, and keep running well.
Old 21st March 2017, 09:17   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Have done a couple of long drives on the Aria - had some trouble with the A/C compressor and gas leakage that's now fixed (fingers crossed). It's super comfortable over long drives - and handles way better than the Safari/Scorpio - I did manage to push it into corners at some speed confidently, and execute lane changes quickly and precisely.

Managed 11+ kmpl on the first trip - but saw 13 or so on the second one! Maybe I'm just getting used to the vehicle

The low beam seems pathetic - is it the usual case or just old bulbs? What's recommended as a change for this?
zenx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 16:43   #1118
BHPian

Quote:
Have done a couple of long drives on the Aria - had some trouble with the A/C compressor and gas leakage that's now fixed (fingers crossed). It's super comfortable over long drives - and handles way better than the Safari/Scorpio - I did manage to push it into corners at some speed confidently, and execute lane changes quickly and precisely.

Managed 11+ kmpl on the first trip - but saw 13 or so on the second one! Maybe I'm just getting used to the vehicle

The low beam seems pathetic - is it the usual case or just old bulbs? What's recommended as a change for this?
Hello Zenx,

I too bought a pre-owned Aria Pride 4x4 (Dec 2014 registered), so congratulations to both of us. I think the niggles/issues are kind of similar.

The service center staff is very helpful (Balaji Motors, Aundh, Pune) and do respect warranty items (my vehicle has extended warranty) without much ado.

Some points from me

1. Excellent highway comfort and drive, distances can be covered easily and in comfort, loves the highways as much as she hates congested roads. The grip levels increase exponentially when 4x4 is activated and is a joy to drive. Getting a consistent 10.5 to 11 irrespective of conditions.

2. Seats are superb and the quality of leather is excellent, does not cause sweaty backs/thighs even in hot conditions (45 degree plus)

3. Space - Excellent on this, travelling with 2 kids who use car seats and then tons of luggage plus kids bicycles, throw it all in and a boat too. It will swallow everything. Plus the kids love the 'n' number of nooks and crannies to stuff their toys into.

Irritants

3. AC - The AC blower switch wire gets loose every once in a while and has to be nudged for it to work.

4. On ghat terrain especially where there is no road the weight of the vehicle shows and seems desperate to move into turbo zone to get traction. This was a place where I seriously missed our Scorpio, she was immensely tractable and light as well.

5. Low beam is poor, needs additional support from fog lamps for adequate illumination. Service Center says this is normal.

6. Hand brake, if you ever forget to disengage the hand brake and drive, you will be surprised that it does move forward.

Cheers and happy driving.
Trojan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 17:11   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Bought a used Aria a couple of weeks ago.

The lights - esp on low beam - are either terrible, or the bulbs are old. Any suggestions for changing them with something better?

updated.
Hello ZenX.

Congratulations on your purchase.

I am not sure what year manufactured your car is & is this a Varicor-400 & a before Nov-14 model, if yes get a ECU refresh (Or the Software upgrade). It will become more smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Hello Zenx,

5. Low beam is poor, needs additional support from fog lamps for adequate illumination. Service Center says this is normal.

Congrats to you as well.

For poor low beams, try HID's. It already has a Projector in it; so scatter will not be a problem. I tried a low cost HID ordered from E-Bay; which blew away after 4 months only. Though the difference was not extra-ordinary, but was significant (it was Some Chinese brand). But a branded would definitely help. My Knowledge is less than Zero on HID. I did not tried it further because my brother purchased an AMC soon after my experiment with HID, hence did not want to have a hit on AMC & any more warranty Conditions.

Regards,
Saurabh

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 22nd June 2017 at 17:16. Reason: Quoted Trojan.
saurabh2711 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 13:42   #1120
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Saurabh!

It's a 2013 so it should help! This is at TASS? Costs? It's fairly smooth right now, and I'm not too pained with power/FE etc per se.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
I am not sure what year manufactured your car is & is this a Varicor-400 & a before Nov-14 model, if yes get a ECU refresh (Or the Software upgrade). It will become more smoother.
zenx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 14:00   #1121
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Saurabh!

It's a 2013 so it should help! This is at TASS? Costs? It's fairly smooth right now, and I'm not too pained with power/FE etc per se.
Hello ZENX,

Great News, If it is Varicor, you can definitely ask for this at TASS, unless any support on this regards is totally de-commissioned. Should be Cost-Free

Or else leave it as is, read your comment. Mine came with this upgrade - Being the last lot of Tata Aria's that Tata released. But a friend of mine who has an earlier version Jan-14, had got it done at Pandit Motors.

Regards,
Saurabh
saurabh2711 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 12:48   #1122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
For poor low beams, try HID's. It already has a Projector in it; so scatter will not be a problem. I tried a low cost HID ordered from E-Bay; which blew away after 4 months only.
But a branded would definitely help. My Knowledge is less than Zero on HID. I did not tried it further because my brother purchased an AMC soon after my experiment with HID, hence did not want to have a hit on AMC & any more warranty Conditions.

Regards,
Saurabh
Thanks Saurabh, yes an upgrade is seriously needed. Just returned from a 3K km road trip, which had around 1K kms on single lane roads. On those roads where the minimum headlamps from oncoming traffic was 6-8 it was a nightmare. My poor lamps were outnumbered and had absolutely no effect in either making the errants lower their beams or in illuminating the road.
But on an existing projector set-up, will upgrading the bulbs void the warranty? If it were an add-on like auxiliary lamps, I could understand.

Secondly, am also open for adding additional auxiliary lamps, still searching as finding a set-up which will not look out of place on this car is a struggle. Any suggestions or leads will be welcome.

Cheers,
Trojan
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 13:41   #1123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
My poor lamps were outnumbered and had absolutely no effect in either making the errants lower their beams or in illuminating the road.
But on an existing projector set-up, will upgrading the bulbs void the warranty? If it were an add-on like auxiliary lamps, I could understand.

Secondly, am also open for adding additional auxiliary lamps, still searching as finding a set-up which will not look out of place on this car is a struggle. Any suggestions or leads will be welcome.
Auxilliary lamps might be a useful add-on rather than upgrading the projector lamp bulbs, as:
1) the higher wattage bulbs "might" fuse faster due to the heat generated in the lesser space between the bulb and the lens, leaving lesser room for cooling (again, only a hypothesis, but looking at the projector setup on the Storme makes me feel so. Sorry if Aria's got a better spacing between the bulb and the lens),
2) doing the above might not help to a large extent due to the placement of the high and low beam reflectors, which seem to be "one below the other", which leaves a kind of void in the lighting "patch" between the L and R sides

Aux. lamps in front of the grille, or lower, might help form a good lighting spot in front of the vehicle, which is where I too felt the Aria needs supplementary coverage.
dkamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 17:05   #1124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Auxilliary lamps might be a useful add-on rather than upgrading the projector lamp bulbs, as:
1) the higher wattage bulbs "might" fuse faster due to the heat generated in the lesser space between the bulb and the lens, leaving lesser room for cooling (again, only a hypothesis, but looking at the projector setup on the Storme makes me feel so. Sorry if Aria's got a better spacing between the bulb and the lens),
2) doing the above might not help to a large extent due to the placement of the high and low beam reflectors, which seem to be "one below the other", which leaves a kind of void in the lighting "patch" between the L and R sides

Aux. lamps in front of the grille, or lower, might help form a good lighting spot in front of the vehicle, which is where I too felt the Aria needs supplementary coverage.
Thanks Dkamath,

1. Is it? I have no clue, don't even know if someone has attempted this earlier, I thought about this as this is the safest way without any risk to warranty, will try to find out more about this.
2. At present calling the low beam pathetic might still be an understatement, and I have to rely on my fogs to light up the immediate area and support it with high beam. I am looking at improving the low beam only as the high beam is very good.

Aux lamps would be the best but i have 2 concerns with them,
a. impact on warranty
b. none of the additional lamps seem to blend into the design due to the curvy front end, if it had a more flatter/straighter front end, would have been a lot easier, searching for a better looking one.

Cheers,
Trojan
Old 6th July 2017, 18:17   #1125
BHPian

Hi Trojan, though off-topic, just remembered a very recent misadventure i had w.r.to the projector lamps . I found the driver's side low beam bulb to have fused, and decided to replace it myself after sourcing a pair from Amazon. In the process, i did not lodge the bulb firmly within a tiny spring holder, and the beam focus/throw was affected to an extent that it lit the surface immediate to the front of the vehicle! TASS fixed it for me, later, hehe.
Final word: please seek TASS assistance in case of bulb swap, even if switching to a slightly "whiter" intensity bulb (which is what i've gone for)
Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks