Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2010, 13:53   #361
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Overall it seems like TML have turned a corner overnight with the launch of ARIA. We'll have to wait and see how it all plays out in the next few months. IMO if ARIA sells about 2k - 2.5k per month, it could be called a success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Want the groups opinion on something.

How important is ESP, esp. in comparison to ABS, EBD, traction control, and airbags?
How much premium should one pay for ESP? (Compared to a car without ABS).
If I want a highway tourer (for Indian conditions) what option do I have if I want ESP?
Regards
Sutripta
Even 1000 units a month would be a good qtty considering the numbers for Safari and Fortuner. (Yes the Innova is in 4k's but it now seems to target a slightly different set of customer - the Aria positioning is higher)

It would be taking on customers in the 15L -20L price bracket, and take market share from Cruz, Laura, Endy, Superb, Accord, Captiva, Fortuner etc.

ESP: - The Laura and Superb have ESP - Don't know about the I20, don't think any vechile below the Laura or Aria in pricing has ESP. Even the Fortuner does not have ESP.

All version of Aria have ABS and Airbags, what follows logically next is EBD and then TC and then finally ESP - which also electronically controls stearing inputs.

The Sad bit is with the inital euphoria the TATA Dealers are trying to make a quick extra buck on Insurance etc, by quoting absurd rates. I guess all vendors dealer would do that with vehicle that are in demand initially. - Presumption that buyers in this segment would not bother with 20K excess amounts - Incorrect presumption.
Old 20th October 2010, 14:39   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Even
The Sad bit is with the inital euphoria the TATA Dealers are trying to make a quick extra buck on Insurance etc, by quoting absurd rates. I guess all vendors dealer would do that with vehicle that are in demand initially. - Presumption that buyers in this segment would not bother with 20K excess amounts - Incorrect presumption.
I agree ACM.. Even we found the insurance pricing to be on the higher side.. Is it possible that we just buy the car at ex showroom price and get our own insurance done?? As it is we are buying our car from Pune and getting it registered in another city on our own to save on octroi..

Anyway If we can get insurance at a lower price then charging such a high rate could have been avoided considering Aria is a big gamble for the company.. If we can get insurance at 20k less then our pride variant would cost us 16.7 lacs on road.. Anyway ACM when are you getting your car??
Old 20th October 2010, 15:24   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Even 1000 units a month would be a good qtty considering the numbers for Safari and Fortuner. (Yes the Innova is in 4k's but it now seems to target a slightly different set of customer - the Aria positioning is higher)

It would be taking on customers in the 15L -20L price bracket, and take market share from Cruz, Laura, Endy, Superb, Accord, Captiva, Fortuner etc.

ESP: - The Laura and Superb have ESP - Don't know about the I20, don't think any vechile below the Laura or Aria in pricing has ESP. Even the Fortuner does not have.
I feel, its NOT right to compare Innova sales with this. If I am right, Innova sales volume is high due to the TAXI/CAB usage rather than the personal/family use. I dont have the numbers b/w the yellow and white board. If someone has/share this data, it would be good.

I slowly seeing more and more XYLO with yellow boards that may not interest many existing or new XYLO owners.

Good comparison with high-end sedans though GTO wont agree to this

Prem.
Old 20th October 2010, 15:55   #364
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
I agree ACM.. Even we found the insurance pricing to be on the higher side.. Is it possible that we just buy the car at ex showroom price and get our own insurance done?? As it is we are buying our car from Pune and getting it registered in another city on our own to save on octroi..

Anyway If we can get insurance at a lower price then charging such a high rate could have been avoided considering Aria is a big gamble for the company.. If we can get insurance at 20k less then our pride variant would cost us 16.7 lacs on road.. Anyway ACM when are you getting your car??
You can do insurance yourself. no need go through dealer

Contact bajaj allianz directly either through website or call local office. they do offer some thing called direct insurance which is web based and is cheaper.

In my case i have saved 5k on Indica Vista insurance. Concorde Bangalore quoted around 16K. I got it for 10750 from bajaj. this was for IDV of 4.7 lakh in 2008
Old 20th October 2010, 16:21   #365
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post

Wasan, fortune and Galaxy have all quote insurance amount as about 58-61K for 15.8L Exshowroom that includes Octroi in Mumbai.
Fortuner and Galaxy have quoted 54K as insurance amount for Thane and New Mumbai area (exluding octroi) for thane city octroi and New Mumbai Cess amount is calculated seperately.

HDFC has directly quoted in Insurance in the Range of 34K for Mumbai (saving of 24K) and 32K for Thane (saving of 22K).

TATA Sales Person has confirmed that all Dealers have to let us do the Insurance directly ourselves if we wish that to be the case. Both Galaxy and Fortune have agree to that in writting, Wasan too has just agreed but obviously does not like the idea.

Insurance and Octroi are both different matters and Insurance definately can be handled directly.

On the question of when I book: I still need a go ahead from my family on the vehicle - They are not in town, and I go give their views a high weightage. Worry Aria seems to be /rather is less macho than the Fortuner, while the Fortuner just cannot be booked right now, and last time they opened I would not have have gone ahead without checking the Aria. Now I like both vechicles, Aria more from the Inside and Fortuner more from the outside, Aria is more comfortable, and Fortuner better for the Image, Aria has more feature, fortuner is supposed to be more reliable (aria is unknown there). Have in the meanwhile got the finance and test drives, and Insurance arrangements ready, so will go ahead unless they just don't like the vehicle compared to something else.

So lets see how it goes, its not an easy decision since I tend to keep my cars for ever. (last one I sold had been with me for 11 years) and I do have a 10 year old Safari.
Old 20th October 2010, 16:51   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Even Safari is an old product, more than 12 years old! Can be serviced anywhere, same will happen with most of the cars.
That 12 year old comment was for Safari and not for Indica
Anyway try taking a Safari to any 3ed party garage and you will find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post

"Expectations" in terms of reliability, better service, better solutions. Mere pick up/drop facility & sweets won't cover up for the loss of former.

Im not against providing pickup/drop facilities but why should these be limited to Aria? If its mentioned before buying, then its ok, otherwise its a breach of trust for other consumers.
Exactly pickup/drop sweatens the deal. As of today Paid normal service labour is 1500Rs for Safari and 6XX for Indica so service offered are different. When company gives 5 free service vouchers then also it reimburses the labor rate to A.S.S and cost is paid by customer at the time of purchase.

I do not see greasing , oil change and wash to be necessarily more expensive for bigger vehicle to the tune of more then double.

Now with Aria paying capacity of customer is more and service expectation is higher may be they can fix the labor rate to be in tune with 14 - 19 lakh car and offer services associated with this class.

Offering any additional service to some customer who is paying higher then Indica customer can not be called breach of trust.
Old 20th October 2010, 17:51   #367
BHPian

@ ACM
I have heard that HDFC doesnt offer cashless facility.. Anyway I will inquire about insurance from outside.. I hope that even if we do insurance from outside the dealer would be still co-operative as far as after sales and repairs are concerned... Because I am sure that the dealer would make a killing from insurance itself..

And as far as looks and interiors of Aria and Fortuner are concerned.. If you are gonna spend more time driving then outside looks wont matter.. Like my case we have to travel a lot.. But anyway I liked Aria both from the outside and the inside..
Old 20th October 2010, 22:22   #368
BHPian

Quote:
HDFC has directly quoted in Insurance in the Range of 34K for Mumbai (saving of 24K) and 32K for Thane (saving of 22K).
I have taken ICICI Lombard (from outside) for 39K. Concorde was asking for 50K+ for the same. HDFC Ergo didn't have cashless facility with Concorde here.

My vehicle delivery is currently scheduled for Saturday. Selected Night Shade Black, inspected the vehicle. Was told that some one from Tata Motors has to do PDI for the first few vehicles (3 additional days for the person to arrive and do the same).
Old 20th October 2010, 22:22   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevtec View Post
.Many people including some politicians were checking the Aria on display in Trivandrum.
I guess one of the target customers for Aria are polititians. You will see more white Arias on road than any other color. These people dont want to go for a foreign brand (Toyota, VW) and waiting for an "indian made" comfortable car. Government vehicles for bureaucrats and top officials is another potential client base.
Old 21st October 2010, 05:23   #370
Senior - BHPian

Then: "The heart of a jeep, the soul of a car." (Mahindra Armada)
Now: "The finesse of Sedan meets the muscle of an SUV." (Tata Aria)

Some things never change .

Regards,
spadix
Old 21st October 2010, 10:57   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Worry Aria seems to be /rather is less macho than the Fortuner, while the Fortuner just cannot be booked right now, and last time they opened I would not have have gone ahead without checking the Aria. Now I like both vechicles, Aria more from the Inside and Fortuner more from the outside, Aria is more comfortable, and Fortuner better for the Image, Aria has more feature, fortuner is supposed to be more reliable (aria is unknown there).
ACM, you echoed my thoughts here. Exactly how I felt all along. I had the Toyota Fortuner sales guy there to take booking cheque on last day of their booking window. I held back thinking let me see Aria. On the buildadreamcar campaign site, I was convinced. Now, I am back to the Fortuner or Aria choice issue. I am still to TD Aria. Fortuner appeals to me and family for the exterior and interior style plus Toyota reliability. Yet another wait...sitting on the fence! Look forward to hear your views on which vehicle you are putting your money on. Best wishes.
Old 21st October 2010, 13:44   #372
passionate1977

I was reading through this thread & discovered following bizzare aspects:
1. 6 Nos. of sun glass holders?? who will carry so many? It cannot be used to store anything else as the space is cramped - moreover it would fall on one's head on opening.

2. Rear Seat(third row) - Seems a blunder! It is useless - not even kids can sit. The middle seat has to be closed & folded if one wants to use the last seat - making the middle seat useless!!

3. Price - simply too high - Innova/xylo looks similar & available at half price(Xylo). Personally I consider all MUV's as TAXI. I would never want to be considered as a Taxi Driver & face frequent stopping by traffic police.

Old 21st October 2010, 14:29   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionate1977 View Post
1. 6 Nos. of sun glass holders?? who will carry so many? It cannot be used to store anything else as the space is cramped - moreover it would fall on one's head on opening.
I think all the 6 overhead storages are not meant for sunglasses. Maybe a couple of those.
Also, the storage is designed to hold sun glasses so that they do not fall off since they are held snugly in the designated space.

Quote:
2. Rear Seat(third row) - Seems a blunder! It is useless - not even kids can sit. The middle seat has to be closed & folded if one wants to use the last seat - making the middle seat useless!!
The rear seats though not meant for adults are sufficient for kids to travel in. I cant see why the middle seats needs to be folded except for access to the third bench.

Quote:
3.Personally I consider all MUV's as TAXI.
I hope you do not consider the Merc R Class a Taxi.
Old 21st October 2010, 14:31   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
My vehicle delivery is currently scheduled for Saturday.
Congratulations in advance !

Please do insist on carrying out a test drive yourself, of your new vehicle as part of the PDI if this is allowed, to ensure that everything's fine with the vehicle (does the PDI happen before the payment or after ? Sorry for asking this rather simplistic question, but I am honestly unaware of the procedures nowadays !)

Awaiting your buying experience and initial ownership review
Old 21st October 2010, 15:14   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
I have taken ICICI Lombard (from outside) for 39K. ...
Boss, there are plenty of reviews about ICICI Lombard. Check the "Insurance/ Loans" section for feedback about this. If you havent made payment, check out Bajaj Allianz or National Insurance.

Most Viewed