Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2010, 15:34   #481
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!

ACM: Congratulations on the great buy.

I am not sure if I missed it reading in your review, but which variant of Aria have you booked?

I also think you should go for white. White looks stately in big vehicles.

You can not imagine how happy I am when you chose Aria over Fortuner, which would have been the most obvious choice. Somehow, I always feel that these foreign companies are manipulating the prices and extracting the premium from us. For instance, the ANHC.

Please do post your buying and initial ownership reports. Will be eagerly waiting for those.

Enjoy!
Old 29th October 2010, 18:34   #482
BHPian

ACM - It was a very nice, precise, swift comparison done b/w the ARIA & FORTUNER [at last].
I have a question - Many people talking about "Rid & Handling", "Body Roll" and "Cornering" - Did you get a chance to compare ARIA & FORTUNER on these 3 and what's your conclusion on these 3 ?

Prem.
Old 29th October 2010, 20:40   #483
Senior - BHPian

@ACM:

A bang on review. The Fortuner even though with a acceptable build quality and Toyota tag fails to put a remark on the head of the driver. I drove all the three 2.0L TCIC, Fortuner and 2.2L DICOR. I was impressed by the DICOR over Fortuner.

What about the TCIC? Are you gonna sell it.
Old 29th October 2010, 21:31   #484
BHPian

ACM: Thanks for a wonderful comparison from a user/buyer standpoint. And congratulations on "the decision to buy ARIA".

I am assuming you are going for the Prestige Variant (with reference to the 5 lakhs price difference in your post). I am wondering why you didn't go for Pride variant if you were really considering fortuner also.
Old 29th October 2010, 22:33   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Colours - Undecided between Pearl White and Night Shade Black.
Now to book on the weekend.
Congrats ACM, Leave the white for politicians...
Old 29th October 2010, 23:20   #486
Senior - BHPian

@ACM - If I could I'd rate your post listing the +ve & -ve of Aria a 5 star rating! Having gone through an evaluation of Aria myself with a number of people I can say your comments echo the general sentiment. This is where I think there is a mis-match between views of the professional tester and the majority of the car buying public.

Many congratulation on booking the Aria!!

@psbali - Congratulations to you too

Last edited by rrsteer : 29th October 2010 at 23:24.
Old 30th October 2010, 00:19   #487
Senior - BHPian

today i took the TD's of Aria pride, Punto 90hp, Xylo d2.
and here is my take on aria.

first of all hats off for TATA for this bold step.

i loved the Aria excluding following three points.
  • suspension was way stiffer then innova & xylo too.
  • non existent third row.
  • lack of climate control in pleasure variant.
still i would have bought it if tata would have priced all three variants 1L to 1.2L less then current prices.

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-dsc02086.jpg

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-dsc02087.jpg

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-dsc02095.jpg

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-dsc02088.jpg
Old 30th October 2010, 01:25   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Autocar India has done a comparo between the Aria & the Innova & the Innova emerged as a winner. They have cited Aria's pricing & lack of finesse (compared to Innova) as reasons.

I feel this is a strong bias towards Toyota.
Raj,
I did a hour Long test Drive of Aria last weekend. I also own an Innova VX (the newer model) Here are my observations -

Engine

Aria

Smooth and tractable - feels much much more livelier than the Innova 2KDFTV block that was designed for commercial vehicles 9 years ago.

Open the bonnet and you find some carelessly done wiring that may come off over time.

Innova

Reliable engine but definitely less exciting to drive compared to Aria. Significantly more noisy as well.

Open the Bonnet and it is difficult to find one thing that seems out of place. Probably the reason for bulletproof reliability.

Exteriors

Aria

Nice Color shades
Uneven panel gaps in the car abound.
Uneven Door linings that was already twisted in some places.

Innova

Very limited color shades
Impeccable shut lines - even panel gaps all across

Interiors

Aria

Nice Design
Cheap plastic buttons that may not last long - especially on the centre console
GPS In the fully loaded model
SEcond Row Comfort better than Innova
Third row completely useless for adults and in mycase the head also touches the roof in the Third Row (I am 181 cms)

Boot space larger than Innova, nearly double the size.

Arm rest nice, but the release lever bites your finger if you dont use it carefully.

USB player compared to Innova's CD only system. but Can use only USB or Can holder, one at a time and not both.

No space in footwell especially for both Driver and Passengers.

Innova

No GPS
All parts exude quality with no feel of cheap plastics
Both Second and Third Rows can be used for ferrying adults.
Santro sized luggage space with all on board.
Large and comfortable footwell.

Performance, Ride and Handling
Aria

Feels significantly faster compared to Innova especially if you are the pedal to metal type - Revv happy engine that will easily go to 5000 RPM

Low speed ride significantly better than Innova - ability to swallow medium size potholes unparalled.

Floaty feeling at high speeds and sharp turns as the body control is not very good.

Innova

Performance is ok but it is slower than both Scorpio and Aria. The Innova engine, though extremely reliable is no performance monster.

Low speed ride is firm, not bone jarring but firm compared to Aria.

High speed poise is significantly better than Aria and the Innova feels as stable as some of the cars at high speeds.

Net net, I am happier with Innova as I believe that while Aria is a great leap for Tatas, the Quality is not in the same league as Innova.

The overall fit, finish and high speed statibility as well as a usable third row in my view put Innova at an advantage as far as my requirements are concerned.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 30th October 2010 at 01:27.
Old 30th October 2010, 02:04   #489
BHPian

Delivery Dates for Tata Aria customers

Hey guys..

As you may know LobsterB received his Aria yesterday. I would just like to know from people the time-frame when the car would be delivered to you.

I booked the vehicle at Concorde Motors Hyd on the 25th and I was told that it would arrive Nov 15th-20th.

Basic model in grey in case you're wondering.
Old 30th October 2010, 07:28   #490
Senior - BHPian

congrats for the Aria crazycardude198!
i took TD of aria yesterday & was told that the waiting period is around three weeks.
(in Aurangabad , Maharashtra)
Old 30th October 2010, 10:14   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Raj,
I did a hour Long test Drive of Aria last weekend. I also own an Innova VX (the newer model) Here are my observations -
Hey buddy, I agree to you. Even i later felt the innova is a better but its just that the Aria left a great impression in my mind on first look. Maybe you missed this post of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I would like to take back this statement of mine.

When i went for the TD of Aria, .............
Coming back to your post-

Quote:
Exteriors

Aria

Uneven panel gaps in the car abound.
Uneven Door linings that was already twisted in some places.
Our test drive vehicle had huge panel gaps between the cladding & body but in the display vehicle inside the showroom, the fitting was perfect.

But, in the display vehicle, the finish of the body inside one of the doors was very uneven.

Quote:
Interiors

Aria

SEcond Row Comfort better than Innova
Third row completely useless for adults and in mycase the head also touches the roof in the Third Row (I am 181 cms)
I disagree on the second row comfort. It was not adequate for a 6'2" guy like me. I mean it was decent but i expected more in such a large vehicle. Clearly, the safari & innova has more legroom in the second row seat. this was with the seat slid fully to the back.

thrid row- its not just for me. when i sat there, the sales guy could not fold the middle seat back! my legs were coming in between!

Quote:
No space in footwell especially for both Driver and Passengers.
This can be a problem for guys with a big foot like me.

Quote:
Net net, I am happier with Innova as I believe that while Aria is a great leap for Tatas, the Quality is not in the same league as Innova.

The overall fit, finish and high speed statibility as well as a usable third row in my view put Innova at an advantage as far as my requirements are concerned.
Agreed. I would say the Aria does look good, feature list is impressive & interiors look great & spacious, but from the front seats. Move to the back & clearly, the innova has an upper hand. the quality & versatility of the interiors is still better in the innova.

I liked some bits & pieces in Aria like the way the top bin release in a damped way, the way the front cup holders pop out, the cooler bin, the instrument console, etc.

The best part i liked about the Aria was that it boasts of a GC of 200 mm but the seat height was not high like the safari, fortuner or scorpio which means elder people dont need to strain to climb up onto the vehicle.

but personally, me & my dad were not too impressed with the Aria considering its price & so we would either buy another innova or fortuner.
Old 30th October 2010, 14:48   #492
BHPian

Hey guys.

I was bored one night so I decided to tweak the design of the Aria a little bit. Overall the car is very well proportioned so I just pushed the roof a little and increased the rim size.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-tataaria08.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-tataaria08-redesign.jpg  

crazycardude198 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2010, 17:05   #493
BHPian

@crazycardude198: IMHO, I prefer the original. You are in the automobile design industry or something, right? Why dont you share nice sketches or renderings of your ideas! Even if it is parts of the car. I am not sure if this site has threads on car design. Anybody?
Old 31st October 2010, 19:48   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
@crazycardude198: IMHO, I prefer the original. You are in the automobile design industry or something, right? Why dont you share nice sketches or renderings of your ideas! Even if it is parts of the car. I am not sure if this site has threads on car design. Anybody?
Yeah the car is actually very well proportioned so I wholly agree with you. As for my sketches, I would love too but im not sure whether the mods will approve

I have a deviantart profile though.

pegasusprime's Gallery
Old 31st October 2010, 21:08   #495
mxx
BHPian

Anyone planning to try out tuning box with aria?

check this out
Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT / Power: 140 PS (103 kW / 138 bhp) / Torque: 320 Nm (236 lbf/ft) | Diesel Tuning with CHIP Express

182PS
426Nm
yummy!!!

Most Viewed