Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2011, 12:06   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review

My personal impression on Aria -

Looks very solid and the doors just re-assure how strong the build is(atleast gives a feeling its a solid block if otherwise). Its definitely refreshing to see the interiours and the roof presents so many mini storage units that you need a index in your pocket to make sure you reach out for the right storage.

Opening the Bonnet took us some investigation to find the lever. A bit strange to open it through the grill rather than the used method of below the bonnet.

The middle row seats can sit 2 very comfortably and the centre seat is just ok as other competition. At 6'1 i didnt feel any discomfort while its not the easiest of cars to get in the back seat or get out. The Car sits a little higher than innova and may be thats the reason it feels a bit odd.

Overall i feel the car looks sturdier, higher and stronger than even Safari. But the pricing is way too steep. @18L for Top End on road, i am very much tempted to get an Endy or spend a little more and get the Fortuner. Aria would have been a super hit had it been priced around 15L(personal comment)
Old 7th January 2011, 00:26   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Overall i feel the car looks sturdier, higher and stronger than even Safari. But the pricing is way too steep. @18L for Top End on road, i am very much tempted to get an Endy or spend a little more and get the Fortuner. Aria would have been a super hit had it been priced around 15L(personal comment)
I hear ya! (about the price).

However, for the equipment levels offered by Endy or fortuner you could get Pleasure or Prestige variant around 15L or cheaper.
Old 7th January 2011, 17:19   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
For all the argument and discussion lets agree that the gaps are for the sake of Safety to the pedestrian's!!!
But they can still make it look and feel better, rather then Vague.
Not sure, but the tone implies that you don't believe so even for the sake of the discussion. That (to me) indicates that not much said here will convince you.

As the ownership reviews of the Aria have indicated, the vehicle is certainly worth the money put in. The only thing "lacking" is the "image", and that's just because it is a Tata.

I'm not excusing a rough edge here or there, but the fact remains that in this segment, it will be pretty tough to get anything with equivalent quality and features. And yes, the quality ain't too bad either.
Old 7th January 2011, 19:30   #589
BHPian

please check new merc, you will see simillar gap, should not be due to the design error

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
Yes this is a good discussion regarding gaps, I don't think its for Any Safety Or for Better NCAP Rating. These gaps give the feeling that the car is not well put together at all.

Even if I believe its for Safety of Pedestrian's I am sure, its not by design. rather its by design error.

But one think I want to understand. How much time dose it take to recalibrate the dice by few MM here and there, to ensure this Gaps look better and feel better.

I for one don't like to run my hand an a Beautiful Car and find it to be uneven or for that matter filled with large uneven cracks.

TATA is not a small company, and know around the World for a lot of GOOD Reasons, Why can't they just ensure they improve these small Irritants.
Old 10th January 2011, 10:36   #590
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Santy - Liked your one liner - The new mercs employ this design - though with a smaller gap - by design, the Grand vitara too has a similar design bonnet with gap.

The TATA vehicles seem to use a larger gap but one can easily see this is a design with a specific purpose.
Old 10th January 2011, 10:57   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santy View Post
please check new merc, you will see simillar gap, should not be due to the design error
Santy, I did check what you are saying. and yes the gap is there, but when you feel both the Gaps, its amazing that the feel in the Merc of for that mater a Toyota is smooth on your hands while the feel on the TATA is uneven and pointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Not sure, but the tone implies that you don't believe so even for the sake of the discussion. That (to me) indicates that not much said here will convince you..
Quote My Brother In laws (BIL) Words "Everything is good, its looks Ok, its drives Ok, has lot of things to play with, Comfortable for 5people. But dose not feel well put together."

QUOTE ACM, Not sure if all cars are having the same Uniform Gap, as the car my BIL viewed definitely has un-uniform Gaps.

To tell you brief about my BIl. He is a person who dose not care for brands.
For Eg, His first car an Omni,
2nd in US BMW don't recollect which model,
3rd Back to India in 2001 he buys a Indigo used it for 4yrs with 1.2Lac KMs,
4th Toyota Innova used it for 2.5yrs for 1lac kms,
5th Optra Magnum used if for 2yrs for 1lac kms,
and now looking to Buy a MPV / SUV, but decide against Aria just because it had uneven Panel gaps & Booked the Fortuner in mid Dec..."

Hence my point, whatever be the reason for the Gaps, why cant it be even and made to fell better and consistent across.

If only TATA is listening.
Old 20th January 2011, 23:23   #592

Like most new Tata launches, the Aria too seems to be having a few teething problems. I visited a Tata workshop this morning for the first service of my Safari. I Was shocked to see quite a few Arias lined up there.

On further enquiry the service advisor mentioned some technical glitches, which needed sorting out. He was non commital when I enquired further about the specific nature of the problems with the Aria.

With the Manza and the Aria, the folks at Tata Motors had seemed like they had pulled up their socks. However, it seems like old habits die hard, and the customer still remains the experimental Guinea pig for Tata.
Old 21st January 2011, 09:39   #593
BHPian

Almost all new cars will have teething issues. We never have issues because almost all the models (fully assembled) come to India only 1-2 years after other countries. Hence we escape.

Tata and Mahindra are the only ones which initiate production from India. In that Tata is the only one which launches new platforms regularly. Mahindra launched a new platform for the first time in forty years with the Xylo. Even that was not entirely ground up work.

Even the new Maruti Swift is already in production in Hungry from the last six months. You have to speak to Hungarians to know precisely how 'perfect' it was when it was launched there.

I know that it wasn't perfect either. But thats the way it is. After all if the smallest paid software can have 24 updates, a car like Aria (perhaps 16000 to 20000 components in my estimate) can have some minor tweaks. People who are scared should buy vehicles like Qualis. Tried and tested for 28 years!

As ACM remarked underneath, I am assuming that we understood the issue properly.

Last edited by Trapezio : 21st January 2011 at 09:45.
Old 21st January 2011, 09:40   #594
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Gran torino, the Aria's you saw may be there for routine service since it is all based on hearsay. The service advisor seems to have miscommunicated.

I have had my second service and the Aria has been completely glitch free till date. (touching some wood right now.) Also the service advisor (at Wasan Mumbai) specifically mentioned to me that in the case of the Aria there have been no technical issues reported at all and that is the first in case of TATA cars so long into introduction. It is hardly likely that one centre has no cases and another has a lot many of them.
Old 21st January 2011, 10:55   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran torino View Post
Like most new Tata launches, the Aria too seems to be having a few teething problems. I visited a Tata workshop this morning for the first service of my Safari. I Was shocked to see quite a few Arias lined up there.

On further enquiry the service advisor mentioned some technical glitches, which needed sorting out. He was non commital when I enquired further about the specific nature of the problems with the Aria.

With the Manza and the Aria, the folks at Tata Motors had seemed like they had pulled up their socks. However, it seems like old habits die hard, and the customer still remains the experimental Guinea pig for Tata.
Which service center was this? Any more description that you can give? Number of vehicles you saw, variant etc.
Old 21st January 2011, 12:16   #596

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Gran torino, the Aria's you saw may be there for routine service since it is all based on hearsay. The service advisor seems to have miscommunicated.

I have had my second service and the Aria has been completely glitch free till date. (touching some wood right now.) Also the service advisor (at Wasan Mumbai) specifically mentioned to me that in the case of the Aria there have been no technical issues reported at all and that is the first in case of TATA cars so long into introduction. It is hardly likely that one centre has no cases and another has a lot many of them.
Hello ACM, I am really happy to hear thay you have had a hassle free experience with the Aria. I hope this remains the same, for as long as you shall have her.

On seeing the Aria's lined up, I first assumed that these vehicles have all arrived for their first service. However, when I enquired about the initial performance of the new launch, the 2 service advisors I spoke to mentioned a techinal glitch which needed sorting out. On further prodding they were unwilling to part with any more information.

On a related note, I have had a Tata Safari for just over a month, and I am reasonably happy with the car. However, the initial period of ownership has been fairly eventful. A few of which were as follows:

1)the horn conking off on the second day itself.
2)the exhaust pipe impacting the hull of the vehicle whenever the car was laden.
3) The car pulling noticably to the left.

Although, I must say that the folks at the Tata workshop were very proffesional and courteous in correcting the flaws of my new car.

Being a first hand witness of the continued teething issues of the latest Safari variant, the 2.2 vtt DICOR. I was inclined to believe what the advisors told me about the recently launched Aria. However, I am still certain that it is a fantastic product, which may or may not have a few minor niggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
Which service center was this? Any more description that you can give? Number of vehicles you saw, variant etc.
Hello Lobster B, I saw a total of 7 Aria's lined up in their workshop. Clients aren't allowed to step inside their service area, hence i was unable to ascertain the exact variants. I shall PM you the name of the authorised dealer workshop. I do not want to post the dealer name on a public forum, because it may end up getting the service advisors in hot water.

Last edited by Gran torino : 21st January 2011 at 12:33.
Old 2nd February 2011, 01:15   #597
BHPian

there is lot of good owner reviews in aria official wesite
TATA Aria : News and Reviews
some pics from this website

Old 2nd February 2011, 23:40   #598
Senior - BHPian

Drove my uncle's Aria today, was not one bit impressed with the engine. I have experienced & I understand the turbo lag of the Dicor engine but this engine actually stalled when i tried to pick up speed from 10 kmph in 2nd gear. It felt dead at lower RPMs.

I spoke to it's drivers & he also complains about the same saying their older car (safari) was much more drivable. Even i feel the same.
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:47   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Drove my uncle's Aria today, was not one bit impressed with the engine. I have experienced & I understand the turbo lag of the Dicor engine but this engine actually stalled when i tried to pick up speed from 10 kmph in 2nd gear. It felt dead at lower RPMs.

I spoke to it's drivers & he also complains about the same saying their older car (safari) was much more drivable. Even i feel the same.
This is disappointing for a car costing + 15 Lacs.
I think Raj you are trying to compare the Dicor with mHawk mHawk is one of the best diesels I have ever driven on.
Old 4th February 2011, 10:01   #600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
This is disappointing for a car costing + 15 Lacs.
I think Raj you are trying to compare the Dicor with mHawk mHawk is one of the best diesels I have ever driven on.
Yes, I was comparing it with the mHawk but I feel it should be unfair for the mHawk instead as the scorpio is 7 lakhs cheaper.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks