Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2011, 18:05   #706
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review

It is definetly an aftermarket logo. Even if Tata wanted to add the logo, they cannot as it would have attracted legal issues of copyright from Ford.

I have seen many autorichshaws with "Ford", "Toyota" logos etc. and have also seem Maruti 800s with Ferrari logos and Tatamobiles with "Mercedes-Benz" badgind. So it is definetly an after market situation.

Maybe the person is modest. One of my favorite cars is hyundai Verna. My next purchase will be an innova/fortuner, but i was planning to put a sticker reading "My next car is a verna" on my Fortuner/Innova. No harm in aspiring for a good sedan eventhough you have a good SUV.
Old 3rd February 2012, 20:37   #707
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

In majority of comparos between, Aria and XUV, a consistent theme is that Aria has better ride. Aria looses out mainly due to price and not being VFM compared to the XUV500.

I sincerely hope that Tata learns from their blunder and Mahindra's success with the XUV that neither Tata or Mahindra is in a position to price their cars over 15 Lakhs.

Tata should take this opportunity to get off their high horse and improve the Aria's features across the range and adjust the pricing to reflect market realities.

I am sure we will see further price hikes in the XUV. Even then it looks like a terrific deal compared to the Aria. Things that Tata can do to the Aria immediately are:

1) Bump up power output to about 170 bhp and tune the handling accordingly.

2) Offer the new 6 Speed gearbox they have developed.

3) Offer better safety features in the lower version of Aria.

4) Adjust the price to make it competitive with the XUV500.

Given similar features and price, I would personally pick the Aria any day over the XUV500. But there is no way, in hell will I pay over 14 to 15 lakhs for an Aria.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 20:20   #708
BANNED

Hi Guys,

Went over to Oberai Cars in Noida. Guess what ? I feel in love with the ARIA, although it is spilling much over my budget. With an exchange, the 4x2 Pure might come for about 12 lakh on road, Noida.

What do the experts have to say ? The cheapest G Innova would also come in for about 20-30 grand more. I have a great offer to exchange my existing 2002 DLE, done 1.16L kms in it too, for about 75K. The dealer mentioned a further price cut for a 2011 manufactured model. What are the pitfalls there, if any ?

Pl advise. Personally, I liked the ARIA, the looks and design are better than the Innova. The interiors were comparable too. The headlamp unit is superb, the Pure has ABS+EBD, all 4 discs, music system, rear wash/wipe + demister. No rear park assist though. What does an after market one cost ?

What FE does T-BHP-ians get ? Autocar says 12kpl on the average. Will I get 12 kpl in Delhi ?

Last edited by lifebuoy : 1st May 2012 at 20:22.
Old 1st May 2012, 21:56   #709
Distinguished - BHPian

@lifebuoy,
1. Try to find the exchange/sale price outside. Do a private/direct sale of your old car if possible. This can get you a better price.

2. Book/confirm the discounts you will get on the model you want (2011 or 2012). Try to keep the exchange separate. He may say that the discounts are only for exchange sales - but that is not what TM itself will ask. It will be a dealer pressure tactic.

3. 2011 should be fine, but make sure it was not used as a Test vehicle. But between a 2012 / 2011, I will take a 2012. Remember - it is now May 2012 already. Your resale will take a hit if it is a 2011 model.

The additional features in the Aria (ABS+EBD, all 4 discs, music system, rear wash/wipe + demister) are definitely alluring. Most of these are not stuff you can add later. Not sure of price of the park assist, but if you really want one, you can try for a parking sensors which will not cost much.

Personally, I want my next car to be with ABS+EBD, all 4 discs, rear wash/wipe + demister. The ICE can be added. I dont think I will need the park assist, though it is good to have.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 01:32   #710
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post

What do the experts have to say ? The cheapest G Innova would also come in for about 20-30 grand more. I have a great offer to exchange my existing 2002 DLE, done 1.16L kms in it too, for about 75K. The dealer mentioned a further price cut for a 2011 manufactured model. What are the pitfalls there, if any ?

Pl advise. Personally, I liked the ARIA, the looks and design are better than the Innova. The interiors were comparable too. The headlamp unit is superb, the Pure has ABS+EBD, all 4 discs, music system, rear wash/wipe + demister. No rear park assist though. What does an after market one cost ?

What FE does T-BHP-ians get ? Autocar says 12kpl on the average. Will I get 12 kpl in Delhi ?
A 2011 manufactured Aria should now be at a substantial discount close to Rs 2L.
Rear parking sensors will cost between Rs. 3000 to5000 and for abit more you can also get the camera on your reverse mirror. Get both.

As mentioned by condor get your car sold outside separately for a better price.

You should expect 10 to 11 kmpl for the Aria on Delhi roads. Aria is much more powerful and heavier than the Innova and this will reflect in the fuel effeciency.
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:01   #711
BHPian

Came across this in zigwheels (not sure if a new thread is warranted for at this stage).

Tata cars to sport Harman infotainment system| Zigwheels.com

Quote:
Harman, a premium global audio and infotainment manufacturer, has forged a deal to develop and supply audio and infotainment system solutions for Tata Motors, which is India’s largest automobile company and also the parent company of [COLOR=#0000ff]Jaguar[/COLOR] Land Rover. This is the first time an Indian brand will incorporate international music and navigation systems into its automobiles.

Harman’s engineering and development teams will create custom audio, navigation, and multimedia solutions for vehicles across Tata’s model lines. The Aria will be the first Tata vehicle to feature Harman’s premium 360-watt JBL sound system with 10 speakers and a dedicated subwoofer, which was previewed at the Delhi Auto Expo.

Would be nice to have this at the present price

Even better if the upcoming Storme sports one of these...

Last edited by vinjosep : 2nd May 2012 at 02:03.
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:08   #712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Came across this in zigwheels (not sure if a new thread is warranted for at this stage).
Harman website says the same HARMAN to provide India’s Tata Motors with branded audio and infotainment solutions
Sounds pretty cool to me. Wonder what the price uptick would be for this new premium audio system - another lakh added?
Old 8th May 2012, 03:15   #713
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

would have loved to have got the Harman infotainment in mine originally. Wonder if it can be fitted for existing customers in exchange for the current one even for say a cost of Rs. 30-40,000. Guess the Head Unit - presently from Delphi too would have to change.
Old 8th May 2012, 10:32   #714
Senior - BHPian

Depends on how they price the system and also on how it sounds. If it is about a Lac more, then it would be a foolish move, which I dont think TATA will make. Maybe they will add another 30-40k to the base price.

Another factor is, which variants will have this? Only top end? Many top end customers wont require a high end music system, so they will end up paying unnecessarily for it. Or even switch to other options. Whereas some customers buying base variants would want that... So it is better to provide this as an optional 'factory' fitment across all the models.

I mentioned 'factory' fitments as I have seen that such packages are always shipped to the dealer who installs it in their premises.
Old 6th July 2012, 07:56   #715
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review with pics

I don't know how relevant this news is or whether the same has something to do with the imminent launch of the Safari (especially with 4x4).

Tata has discontinued 4x4 in all versions except for the Pride variant. All other variants now come only in 4x2. Is it because Tata did not want to lose money offering so many variants on a near non-selling model or are they making room for the Storme?
Old 6th July 2012, 10:43   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
I don't know how relevant this news is or whether the same has something to do with the imminent launch of the Safari (especially with 4x4).

Tata has discontinued 4x4 in all versions except for the Pride variant. All other variants now come only in 4x2. Is it because Tata did not want to lose money offering so many variants on a near non-selling model or are they making room for the Storme?
You meant for the Aria?
You haven't mentioned anywhere in the post ,that's why asking.
Old 6th July 2012, 11:45   #717
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
You meant for the Aria?
Haven't yet heard of a Safari or Sumo "Pride" variant, so I guess it is the ARIA.

I ve been calling the TML showrooms at Blore for a few weeks now and though most people there tell me that the launch is close, show me videos of the Storme on their computers (the ones we ve already seen), they are not aware of the launch details at all.
Old 6th July 2012, 12:23   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
You meant for the Aria?
My bad, yeah it's the Aria! I was just hoping to check the Prestige 4x4 version, when I came across it being discontinued!! I've got a rotten luck with my cars of late..
Old 7th July 2012, 11:23   #719
Senior - BHPian

So if someone wants a 4x4 Aria, the only option is to buy the Pride which costs 18-19 Lacs?!?!

If they are making way for the Storme, does that mean the Storme will cost 12-15 Lacs?
Old 9th July 2012, 23:19   #720
BHPian

"Experience the ARIA" in Bangalore - Consolidated reviews

Hello All, I am hoping, we may use this thread to put in all our observations that we experience in the "Experience the ARIA" drive.
I am really happy to kick-start with it.

Drive the ARIA
It is definitely a new kind and a satisfactory experience to me with this 2 day "TRIAL" period for drive. This shows the trust that the dealership has with the people like us.

I sincerely appreciate the efforts put in by Hari and the Prerena Motors to get this arranged so religiously.

Honestly, when I took out the vehicle on Saturday evening from the Hotel, it was like a dream to me. I was the first person to kick start the event, the same day itself

My observation as follows. May not be upto the professional reviews we have seen here, but, its a common man's view on the vehicle and am sure, the individual's views & opinions are respected here in TBHP to a great extent.

Clutch
Butter smooth, may be the NEWness. However, its definitely smoother than my then NEWness of Safari [2010].

Gear
No problem what-so-ever, slots perfect. Stick length/height is so right that it doesnt disturb any of the controls and at the same time, not too short that enables easy reach/access to it from the flexible hand-rest.

Ride/Drive
I didnt feel any difference in the 1st gear compared to my Safari. As soon as you move few feet, you will want to push it to 2nd gear.

I feel my Safari pulls better than ARIA in the 2nd gear, in the combination of AC with 2+ of fan speed + stop/start city traffic.

3rd & 4th gear - No difference b/w my Safari and this ARIA except the fact that the vibration level is far less when you bring down the speed at higher gears in ARIA while Safari vibrates more.

5th gear - Didnt get much time to spend on it since I want to drive in NORMAL way rather than a TESTING mode.

100 KMPH mark - effortless reach in ARIA and little quicker than Safari.

Handling
I couldnt feel a great deal of difference compared to my Safari in the high-ways. In city, bumper to bumper traffic, ARIA definitely scores better, especially the turning radius.

On the small hill-stretch of Nandi hills, I honestly missed my Safari! There is no complaint about ARIA. Its just that the Safari keeps you motivated and engaged while you are on ghat, whereas ARIA kind of vehicle decides on its own, when to do what ! May be, a few/many of us dont like the machine to be more intelligent than us

There are only half a dozen hair-pin bends in the 8 KM stretch of Nandi hill-drive and seriously, I think, Safari in 2WD WILL DO better than ARIA in 2nd gear. ARIA thinks and then, climbs up and may be, its just the effectiveness of the "Adapterra". I wonder how ARIA would have performed in my Ooty trip [Kallati ghat] that has horribly steep 36 hair pin bends ! My wife and my7 year old daughter didnt even consider these as hair pin bends since we all have fresh memories of the Ooty drive.

May be, I wouldn't be saying this [above] if I had driven ARIA first, but not Safari.

Features
No comments and no comparison to my Safari.

I just love the ACC and this is my first car/drive with the ACC.

Loads of other features like Bluetooth, steering controls - I didnt get a chance to use all of them in these 2 days. But, am sure, I will love those comforts since I often take conference calls and other long phone calls while in car. I sure, need them and will love it. No doubt about it.

Comfort

Driver seating - Definitely "comfortable" with all kind of adjustments, but NOT "commanding" [unlike Safari].

Middle row seats - As comfortable as Safari. Just too good, it seems since my wife always sits with my 2 daughters in my Safari middle row and so as in ARIA for the Nandi hills drive.

3rd Row Seating - We can definitely find the necessary leg room if we adjust the front and middle row seats. Absolutely, no issues. It can definitely accommodate 2 teens [not just kids].

My Conclusion
Will I buy an ARIA within an year?
NO and its because I have a fairly new Safari.

Will I buy an ARIA in about 2 years?
YES if there had NOT been a "STORME" plan !

Would I have bought ARIA when I wanted to upgrade from my MARINA?
Definitely YES, if ARIA was available that time for a drive like this.

Will I recommend to my friends/relatives who are looking for D+ sedans?
YES and I am sure the big point of discussion would be "ARIA is from TATA".

ARIA is definitely a good vehicle, but NOT for SUV drivers/owners/lovers unless they want to change from SUV class to an Elegant class of MIX [cross-over].

To me, ARIA is a good "value for money" product in a new segment on its own and I am convinced NOT to see 30% price reduction just because its from TATA stable.

Few insignificant snaps attached, but, I personally liked the 1 Litre juice cartons getting into the door-side pouch and my family sitting flat to get prepared for lunch in Nandi hills top

Prem.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-p1070572-1024x577.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-p1070573-1024x577.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-p1070607-1024x577.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-p1070609-1024x577.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-p1070673-1024x577.jpg  

kaviprem is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks