Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2016, 14:47   #3436
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
Even I am looking to improve the perfomance of my Thar Crde. Where have you got the remap done and your feedback regarding it?
Remap was done by Code 6 http://www.code6.in/#service

I am very happy with the remap, still get the same FE also but very easy to drive and has a great power band. Would recommend the same to anyone.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 13:50   #3437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Remap was done by Code 6 http://www.code6.in/#service

I am very happy with the remap, still get the same FE also but very easy to drive and has a great power band. Would recommend the same to anyone.
How is this thing compared to a Race Chip PRO 2 ECU - Cost wise and performance wise?
Old 18th February 2016, 13:27   #3438
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
How is this thing compared to a Race Chip PRO 2 ECU - Cost wise and performance wise?

HI Vaidya, performance boxes basically work by sending false signal's to the ECU to dump more fuel. It is not a very scientific approach, but cheap and simple.

Code6 does a remap of your engine. They have developed a custom map and this map is installed in your vehicle. Since it is a custom map, it is done more scientifically and the results are much better.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 20:13   #3439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
HI Vaidya, performance boxes basically work by sending false signal's to the ECU to dump more fuel. It is not a very scientific approach, but cheap and simple.

Code6 does a remap of your engine. They have developed a custom map and this map is installed in your vehicle. Since it is a custom map, it is done more scientifically and the results are much better.
Tini, could you explain how the performance box and code 6 remap is different? Do they do anything with the stock ECU ? How?

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 18th February 2016 at 20:17.
Old 20th February 2016, 15:05   #3440
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Tini, could you explain how the performance box and code 6 remap is different? Do they do anything with the stock ECU ? How?

Spike
Code 6 deletes the stock ECU mapping and uploads a new map. As you may be aware, the ECU is locked by Bosch. Hence, they first crack the code and then delete the stock map after backing it up (for restoration if required). Then they write a new ECU map into the ECU. This is my understanding after talking to people who done the maps.

Performance boxes are external attachments that sit in between the ECU and engine. It basically fools the engine into dumping more fuel.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 08:41   #3441
BHPian

A friend of mine has a 2013 Thar and he wants to replace the dashboard with the one in 2015 facelift model. Is this something that has been done/can be done?
Old 22nd February 2016, 13:27   #3442
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Have never tried one with Race Chip so i have no idea on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Code 6 deletes the stock ECU mapping and uploads a new map. As you may be aware, the ECU is locked by Bosch. Hence, they first crack the code and then delete the stock map after backing it up (for restoration if required). Then they write a new ECU map into the ECU. This is my understanding after talking to people who done the maps.
Thanks Mr T!

Yes and Spike instead of one parameter whole set of them is changed. I was little skeptical at the beginning, but once i rode Ashok's Code 6'ed Thar i did not even blink.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 21:05   #3443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
A friend of mine has a 2013 Thar and he wants to replace the dashboard with the one in 2015 facelift model. Is this something that has been done/can be done?
I have heard that the new THAR has the steering wheel centered or or maybe they adjusted the seats so that steering is in center. Ask him to check with the dealership. I believe that can be done once the AC ducts & wiring is looped properly. But why does he want to change the dash when the new dash is in a shameful colour of beige?
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 15:26   #3444
BHPian

My Thar has developed loss of power especially on inclines. The problem partially resolves on disconnecting the Mass airflow sensor with lots of black smoke. However on replacing with a different sensor the problem still persists. The ASC thinks "it may resolve by changing the entire wiring". The MAF wiring harness showed correct voltages on testing with a multimeter.

Experts kindly advice on what could be the problem.Will remapping the ECU work?
Old 25th February 2016, 18:06   #3445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
My Thar has developed loss of power especially on inclines. The problem partially resolves on disconnecting the Mass airflow sensor with lots of black smoke. However on replacing with a different sensor the problem still persists.
Did you try cleaning the whole air intake plumbing till the intake manifold. From the air filter, to turbo hoses, intercooler etc.. Had the same problem in my Manza. Too much oil clogged up the intercooler.

Last edited by dhanushs : 25th February 2016 at 18:17.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 10:03   #3446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
My Thar has developed loss of power especially on inclines. The problem partially resolves on disconnecting the Mass airflow sensor with lots of black smoke. However on replacing with a different sensor the problem still persists. The ASC thinks "it may resolve by changing the entire wiring". The MAF wiring harness showed correct voltages on testing with a multimeter.

Experts kindly advice on what could be the problem.Will remapping the ECU work?
Most probably you are starving on air. Clean the whole air intake channel including the air filter and throttle body.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 23:01   #3447
BHPian

I guess the ASC must have done it while I mentioned the complaint. Ill try and take it to a second workshop and see. Could a faulty EGR cause symptoms like these?
Old 1st March 2016, 15:35   #3448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Have never tried one with Race Chip so i have no idea on this.
What is the average fuel consumption you get in your Code6ed THAR?
Old 2nd March 2016, 14:19   #3449
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What is the average fuel consumption you get in your Code6ed THAR?
Anything between 9-10 in BLR peak hour traffic with AC and about 11-12 on highways with AC and 100 kmph cruise, the soft top makes a racket and am on offroad tyres so don't do very high speeds on highways. Only occasional bursts.

FE i felt was slightly better in city compared to before, maybe due to the fact that vehicle can be in higher gear at slower speeds. Highway never had an opportunity to measure the stock FE.

And if you do pedal to metal drives, FE drops.
Old 7th March 2016, 08:22   #3450
BANNED

Hello GTO -

I have been a part of this esteemed community for a while and believe me, the hours spent on the forums just keeps increasing by the day, hats off to you guys on managing TBHP.

I am planning to buy a THAR, had a few questions, I would be really thankful if you may help -

1) Is there a thread dedicated on using the 4H, 4L, 2H and N modes on a 4X4, I went through all the threads but they were more bookish than plane jane simple, when what and how to use. If you may help me put it in simple words, it would greatly help.

2) Which of the above stated gears do I drive in, in normal city conditions ? My 99% driving would be on normal tarmac.

3) As a Jeep owner, what are the other things that I need to be careful about, which would typically not be the case in a sedan.

4) If you have driven the updated 2015 Thar, how do you find the AC? This is of prime importance, I do not want to travel to work being all wet.

Thank you GTO for all the help here.

Cheers,
Torquedo
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks