Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2016, 10:21   #3466
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

I plan to bypass the EGR system in my vehicle. I presume the valve is just besides the battery. Will just unplugging it from the ECU serve the purpose?
I know the light will keep flashing in my instrument cluster But will ask ASC to bypass that too (I hope the ASC guys would have this much know-how).
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img2014110200625.jpg  

KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 12:21   #3467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Thanks for guiding people correctly, so that they only buy things that add value and do not buy any nonsense available out there. Most of it was nonsense anyways and continues to be nonsense, I hope people are understanding and acting accordingly. .

Behram Dhabhar
Dear DhabharJi

Do the rear seats have to go away for the SA roll over cage. I remember you mentioning if the RH side seat is fitted both the sides - one can have the SA roll over cage and the rear seats.

Cheers
Carrot

Here is the quote : I am not able it as multi quote - "SA rollover bar: after the number plate is fitted (ahem!), get 1 no RH seat and fit it on the LH side also, remove the LH seat and throw it out. At worst, you'll have to drill 4 holes in the wheel arches, so simple!"

Last edited by carrot_eater : 9th May 2016 at 12:47. Reason: Additional information
Old 9th May 2016, 12:50   #3468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Dear Dhabharji, do the rear seats have to go away for the SA roll over cage. I remember you mentioning if the RH side seat is fitted both the sides, one can have the SA roll over cage and the rear seats. Is that correct. Cheers Carrot
Dear Ranjit Singhji (I hope I remember your name correctly, please excuse if not so) - SA roll-over bar (it is not a roll cage) is designed for 2 seater application, as the vehicle is homologated in the N1 category there (load carrier) so there are no seats at the back as per SA law. It is also designed to take the pull-out load of the seat belt mountings as per the SA homologation (which is 2.5 times GVW in tension), so if at all you want to fit a roll-over bar, you should fit the SA one. The dealer fitment roll-over bar available for domestic meets nothing, it does not even look good ! RH seat is 40" long, LH seat is 45" long for 7 seater application. With SA roll-over bar, domestic rear seats will not fit directly, as the rear leg mounting of the SA roll-over bar will come in the way. However, for one vehicle you can make localized changes to adapt. If you do, please do properly, normal seatwallah will ruin it.

Dear Vaidyaji - kem chho? Don't monkey around with the EGR please, you will get smoky exhaust and power will drop. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 9th May 2016 at 12:52.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 13:01   #3469
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Ranjit Singhji (I hope I remember your name correctly, please excuse if not so) - SA roll-over bar (it is not a roll cage) is designed for 2 seater application, as the vehicle is homologated in the N1 category there (load carrier) so there are no seats at the back as per SA law. It is also designed to take the pull-out load of the seat belt mountings as per the SA homologation (which is 2.5 times GVW in tension), so if at all you want to fit a roll-over bar, you should fit the SA one. The dealer fitment roll-over bar available for domestic meets nothing, it does not even look good ! RH seat is 40" long, LH seat is 45" long for 7 seater application. With SA roll-over bar, domestic rear seats will not fit directly, as the rear leg mounting of the SA roll-over bar will come in the way. However, for one vehicle you can make localized changes to adapt. If you do, please do properly, normal seatwallah will ruin it.

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks a ton for the response - the name is correct. After using Thar for almost 5 years now, as a daily drive, did multiple trips to Goa, Kerala, with Family - whatever others advice to first time jeepers - I think Thar can serve as a daily drive vehicle, of course each family is different

I am looking to get my own face lift version. The rear seats and space has been very important hence haven't yet got the SA roll over bar - but will get them soon and keep the rear seats. Is the change significant or can that be done fairly easily in Bangalore, I will go to the authorized service center, pick up a RH side seat and hopefully they will be able to fit it all together.

And thanks again for guiding us for over so many years..

Cheers
Ranjeet
Old 9th May 2016, 13:56   #3470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
1. I think Thar can serve as a daily drive vehicle. And thanks again for guiding us for over so many years. 2. The rear seats and space has been very important hence haven't yet got the SA roll over bar, but will get them soon and keep the rear seats. Is the change significant or can that be done fairly easily in Bangalore, I will go to the authorized service center, pick up a RH side seat and hopefully they will be able to fit it all together. Cheers, Ranjeet
Dear Ranjeet Singhji - thanks! My reply is as follows:
1. I always knew it, but "people being people" (you can guess who I refer to), "they" "took a stand" not to listen to me, because it was the "politically correct" thing for them to do, everybody wants to further their careers, product and customer are only the means to further it! I don't think any of those guys in their wildest dreams realized that this thing will give 5.5 years of steady volumes (on December 21, it will be 6 years)! The product has spoken for itself! And, by the way, I had a vested interest in guiding you, because if I had not done so, this thing would have been dead and buried long time back, because that was the "politically correct" result that would have allowed people to say "see Sir, I told you"! So I had to become a "shaitaan" (devil) to succeed. Oh come on now! So my dear sir, thank you very much for allowing me to have the last laugh hahaha! "Some guys" who "may" read this (I hope so) deserve every bit of it, as somebody says in the training programs, "word-by-word, line-by-line"! .
2. The change to the seats is significant. You will have to first remove the seats, fit the SA roll-over bar completely, then apply common sense to adapt the seats to the space available. That's why I said, a "normal" guy will ruin it, and also charge you for ruining it. Go to somebody who is a little crazy (like me, for example)! Hahaha once again!

ENJOY! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2016, 08:54   #3471
Senior - BHPian

DB Sir,
Can the new Auto locking rear diffrential be installed in the older versions of the Thar ? We have three Thars that are 2013 models purchased between October 2013 and January 2014.
Old 14th May 2016, 10:34   #3472
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Can the new Auto locking rear diffrential be installed in the older versions of the Thar ?
Yes. Can be done on all 3. Rear axles is the same for all Thars CRDe from inception until now.
Old 18th May 2016, 10:00   #3473
BHPian

Quote:

Dear Vaidyaji - kem chho? Don't monkey around with the EGR please, you will get smoky exhaust and power will drop. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behrambhai: As you say for the EGR. But can I remove the Catalytic Convertor?
Also my vehicle completed 20,000kms and is due for 3rd service. Does the transfer case oil need replacement?
Old 18th May 2016, 10:06   #3474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Dear Behrambhai: As you say for the EGR. But can I remove the Catalytic Convertor?
Also my vehicle completed 20,000kms and is due for 3rd service. Does the transfer case oil need replacement?
Dear Vaidyaji - remember, exhaust back pressure also plays a role in determining performance. If at all you want to do it, remove it and put a pipe in its place, drive and see. Worst case, put the thing back. I have done it, at least I did not find any improvement. For transfer case, I will request Gajanan Chitale of Borg Warner to talk to you, I do not have this information.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 18th May 2016, 10:14   #3475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I plan to bypass the EGR system in my vehicle. I presume the valve is just besides the battery. Will just unplugging it from the ECU serve the purpose?
I know the light will keep flashing in my instrument cluster But will ask ASC to bypass that too (I hope the ASC guys would have this much know-how).
EGR systems in modern diesels can't be bypassed. I know there are some US videos on youtube which claim about fantastic performance and economy gains by removing the EGR system, claiming that EGR saps performance, however most of them are on older non common rail ECU controlled diesels. On the current crop of modern diesels, removal of the EGR valve will cause the ECU to put the engine in a limp home mode, and at least on the Safari 2.2 dicor the engine refuses to rev above 2000 rpm in any gear.
If you are looking at performance gains (IMO immaterial in an open top jeep), one can look at tuning boxes, piggy back ECU or even an ECU remap.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 16:25   #3476
KMT
BHPian

I first disconnected the vacuum pipe to the actuator with the engine in off position. I can say there is a definite improvement in drivability. I taped both ends of the vacuum pipe shut with insulation tape.
Subsequently I have had a blank fitted after the egr.
There is a definite improvement, true there is more smoke under heavy acceleration but you can really feel the engine breathing cleaner air.
I must have run at least 5000kms no issues.

Last edited by KMT : 18th May 2016 at 16:27. Reason: Added detail
KMT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 11:40   #3477
BHPian

As my vehicle finshed 20,000kms, got the 3rd servicing done last week. There were 2 major issues:
1. The leaf springs were squeaking at the slightest movement of vehicle.
2. The AC made a whining noise when the compressor is on for more then 15 minutes

For the 1st problem, they tried to stop squeaks by applying grease on the sides. This has no effect on the squeaks whatsoever. So had to put the vehicle for a day for opening the leafs and greasing them. This solved the problem and now it is as silent as new. Lets see for how many days.

For the 2nd issue, i suspected that the drive belt needed some dressing. This was present from the 1st day of vehicle purchased. I had tried this at home sometime back by applying Petroleum jelly and sometimes grease but it did not work. The technician did the same by applying "Ananbond" belt dressing but the sound was back. It is a kind of coarse whistle (kooooon) in increasing and decreasing decibel. At last the SA told me that the expansion valve needs replacement. The workshop is out of a spare so need to wait for a week till they get a replacement.
Old 30th May 2016, 14:17   #3478
BHPian

Greetings everyone.

I'm happy owner of a rive a 2013 Thar. Recently, while tackling a rather steep climbing obstacle at the Great Escape event in Hyderabad, I bumped the rock surface hard on the left side of the front axle and since than the Thar has been slightly steering to the left. The problem persists despite wheel balancing.

The local ASC claims that the chassis has been damaged and requires major repair/ replacement and is pushing me to make an insurance claim. I'm seeking advice from people here who may have encountered similar issues for ideas and suggestions.

Cheers & thank you in advance
Old 30th May 2016, 15:27   #3479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayant06 View Post
Recently, while tackling a rather steep climbing obstacle at the Great Escape event in Hyderabad, I bumped the rock surface hard on the left side of the front axle and since than the Thar has been slightly steering to the left. The problem persists despite wheel balancing.
Did they check the arms of the IFS. Especially the lower one.
Old 30th May 2016, 15:31   #3480
BHPian

I had sent the vehicle to the ASC for a check up and they sent back an insurance claim form

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks