Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2016, 14:51   #3541
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
There is a family car made by Mahindra that suits this requirement of 5 doors - its called the Bolero for a similar amount of money.

Please do not buy the Thar to convert it to a family hauler ! Just buy the Bolero/ TUV300/ Scorpio etc etc.
The only shortcoming of the Bolero is
. No 4x4
. No CRDI
Old 2nd August 2016, 15:03   #3542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The only shortcoming of the Bolero is
. No 4x4
. No CRDI
I agree that these are not available for major cities but for on road use the ZLX should do. The 4x4 is still sold in BSIII trim.
I love the Bolero and wish the Crde was still made. There is talk of an updated (shortened version) to come out sometime soon.
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 19:10   #3543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
I agree that these are not available for major cities but for on road use the ZLX should do. The 4x4 is still sold in BSIII trim.
I love the Bolero and wish the Crde was still made. There is talk of an updated (shortened version) to come out sometime soon.
There are two problems
1. You cannot register BS-III in Metros
2. 4x4 Bolero is neither easily available to non-government buyers and if not already will be soon stopped

Why Bolero 4x4 cannot be fitted with the Thar's Engine is a mystery to me.
Old 3rd August 2016, 10:57   #3544
BHPian

Hi, can you post some pictures of these mods. cpbopanna has asked for it and now me, please

swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
Just an update. I bought and installed following mahindra standard accessories:

1. Rear bumper
2. Front bumper
3. Side steps
4. Half canopy
5. Roll over bar

Apart from that, I also installed rear carbon leaf spring suspensions which made drive a little comfortable.

For the benefit of all, it is worth mentioning that the mahindra expedition half canopy is a good quality product but the issue is with the fitment. I got it installed on my Thar but it restricts the front seats to be pushed to the limit. so far tall drivers, it could be a soar to drive. I had to get rid of it after some time.
Old 3rd August 2016, 12:54   #3545
Senior - BHPian

I am sharing some rough snaps although half canopy is no more there
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_43251.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_43261.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_43271.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_43281.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_43291.jpg  

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 3rd August 2016 at 13:06.
ruchirtnt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 21:51   #3546
BHPian

Got the new Thar Dashboard and meters for about 13k from Mahindra. The new meter is way more advanced with a single connector. The older meter circuits look like something from the pre-independence era. Will need the wiring manual to know the pins on the wiring harness.
Old 5th August 2016, 02:14   #3547

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
Got the new Thar Dashboard and meters for about 13k from Mahindra. The new meter is way more advanced with a single connector. The older meter circuits look like something from the pre-independence era. Will need the wiring manual to know the pins on the wiring harness.
Have you got the new dashboard installed? If yes, please share the pictures. It will be interesting to see how it fits. Also, as stated by someone in this thread, did it require too many changes to the internal wiring?
Old 5th August 2016, 07:29   #3548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyS View Post
Have you got the new dashboard installed? If yes, please share the pictures. It will be interesting to see how it fits. Also, as stated by someone in this thread, did it require too many changes to the internal wiring?
Have not installed it. It can be done as few people have done it. As I mentioned the instrument cluster wiring is totally different and more complicated. Am trying to source the new Thar wiring manual to know the exact pinouts. The Bolero and Scorpio ones are available online.
Old 5th August 2016, 18:32   #3549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_azz View Post
Even my 1600kms old thar is having water leakage problems in rains. The canopy is leaking from 5-6 places and also there is some leakage behind the dashboard. I believe I need to ask for a canopy replacement under warranty.
DB Sir, please have a look the pictures and advice how this leakage behind the dashboard could be fixed. There is quite some water that has collected in the passenger footwell.
Also, does the bonnet release lever doesn't work when pulled, is there a fix for that?
Mine is Oct 15 thar, same leaks, same places. Canopy has issues, threads coming out. Water is present under front driver foot mat too, don't know if it comes from canopy or AC. Anyway, i'm more scared of incompetent dealership guys repairing it rather than it leaking, so i'm going to let it be. The fuel gauge too is faulty from day one, but i fill up the tank n once it crosses up 400 km mark, i refuel it, only around 40 litres goes in, so i'm safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post
Hello All,

I am uploading water-leak photos, I am unable upload video due to some tech issues.

Also attaching photos of another water leak below the glove box.

My adventure with the Thar seems to have gone to advanced level
As i said above, all in same boat, same leaks, same places, same fault. This upgraded Thar has its issues, wonder why Mahindra dont test their vehicles before they start mass producing them
Old 6th August 2016, 23:43   #3550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
Mine is Oct 15 thar, same leaks, same places. Canopy has issues, threads coming out. Water is present under front driver foot mat too, don't know if it comes from canopy or AC. Anyway, i'm more scared of incompetent dealership guys repairing it rather than it leaking, so i'm going to let it be. The fuel gauge too is faulty from day one, but i fill up the tank n once it crosses up 400 km mark, i refuel it, only around 40 litres goes in, so i'm safe.

As i said above, all in same boat, same leaks, same places, same fault. This upgraded Thar has its issues, wonder why Mahindra dont test their vehicles before they start mass producing them
Hi Maheep, this water leakage issue in the footwell is not all that hard to fix. Just try to detect if the AC is causing it or the rains. In my case it was rain water that was leaking in and I got it fixed at the ASS today morning. Took 3 hours to narrow down to the 2 points from where it was leaking in and then use silicone sealant at those points to stop the leaks. For canopy the only option other than getting it replaced is I guess putting a seam sealant tape along the stitching lines, not sure how effective or long lasting it would be though.
Old 7th August 2016, 10:32   #3551
Senior - BHPian

I think that the canopy leaks in the current Thar are due to the redesign of the top from horizontal to sloping one. It seems that the canopy as designed by BD's team was for a flat roof, and the current team just tapered the soft top without testing it. I guess you have to stop leakage by trial and error, till some one redesigns the canvas top.
Old 8th August 2016, 18:55   #3552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_azz View Post
Took 3 hours to narrow down to the 2 points from where it was leaking in and then use silicone sealant at those points to stop the leaks.
Do you have any pictures of where exactly was the silicone sealant applied?
Old 9th August 2016, 10:34   #3553
BHPian

Dear All,

Wanted to share the update on water leak issues as many people seem to have same issues with the 2015 face-lifted Thar.

1. Soft top leakage through the stitches - Many patrons have complained in Team-BHP and the ASC/mech also acknowledge that they have received this complaint with 2015 Thar.

Solution - Still waiting for replacement. Not sure if the replacement solves the issue if it is a product design problem.For now, ASC has pasted two-way tapes as a temp solution.

I am sure BD sir would have straightened vendor for this.

Request patrons to share links of any anti-leak sealant and photos of top after the application if anyone has done this.

2. Glovebox leak was due to faulty windshield nozzle. ASC replaced the nozzle and applied sealant.

I have noticed that some of the Thar owners have complained in Team-BHP and the ASC/mech also acknowledge that they have received this complaint with 2015 Thar.

With the leakage, the mats are gone need to be replaced. I am planning to do this when we remove dashboard to inspect any damage to electrical/mech problems.
Old 9th August 2016, 15:37   #3554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Do you have any pictures of where exactly was the silicone sealant applied?
This is where mine was leaking from. There was a small gap where two pieces of metal join and this was causing rain water to leak in. There was another leak from behind the dashboard for which they had to remove the dashbaord and fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-jeep.jpg  

Old 9th August 2016, 16:17   #3555
KMT
BHPian

I have a 2011 Thar, the original soft top leaked like a seive from day one from most stich points. I have a half cabin top I made locally which is far superior.
The original zips too were such rubbish you would not even use it on a garbage bag!

The original soft top has shrunk so much that it does not even fit now.

I have seen people smearing silicon sealant along all stiching thickly from the outside. Maybe you can do that and then pray for it to stop raining ��.
KMT is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks