Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2011, 22:44   #76
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
+1. The bumps are very pronounced in the i10 and yes, the vertical movement when you go over a bump is really bad.

In my i10 Kappa, whenever I take a speed breaker even at the slowest speed the car practically jumps up and irritating for the driver and maybe very uncomfortable for rear passenger.
From my experiences on the I10, the ride has been quite pleasant so far. It is true that the bumps may be pronounced on speed breakers, but I've noticed this only when there are no rear passengers in the car. It would be a feeling similar on the Eeco, if one were to drive it without rear passengers.

But when 2-3 passengers are seated on the rear seat, the I10 behaves really well. And during our recent journey from Belgaum to Goa, our I10 was loaded with all sorts of luggage (over 150 kilos). The drive was indeed enjoyable and smooth as the I10 easily took all the load (luggage, 3 adults, 1 child and occasional AC) on the roads, including the ghats.

Point is, it all depends on the situations and our perception of the notion of a "bumpy ride". What is bumpy for some may not be bumpy for others. Having driven an Alto for close to 3 years, I find the I10 extremely comfortable in every sense of the term. Had I the privilege of owning a Rs 10+ lakh car, the I10's suspension may have felt as soft as a road roller.
Old 26th March 2011, 23:56   #77
BHPian

Another excellent and very comprehensive review with detailed pictures. I am surprised to know that this is the first official Hyundai review. Many thanks to Stratos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
The Air-conditioning in the i10 was above average. It provided a comfortable feel even with crystal clear glass (no tints) on our test car. So that suggests its above average but lacks the chill factor ofcourse.

I did read about the rattling issues from the steering, but we did not encounter any such noises during our test.
Has there been any change in the a/c from the earlier version? I have owned the pre-facelifted version and the a/c was quite effective. I have never faced the rattle issue either, although my EPS stopped working and was replaced under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
i10 is a good car, no doubt about that. But some how in looks department it lacks. Its not a eye catcher for sure. Doesn't look very sporty or elegant like Swift.

If we compare top end of i10 & Swift, price different is not much. Swift has best engine in K12. Also Swift has 2 main features which i10 dont have as mentioned in the review, that are ACC and Alloy wheels. Swift looks are much better, sportier than i10. Then isn't Swift a better buy over i10? IMO it is.
Looks are a matter of personal choice. No car in the hatchback segment is really an eyecatcher IMO. I would give high marks to Polo/Micra, medium ratings to i10/i20/Figo and low ranking to Swift/Ritz. No offense to the happy Swift/Ritz buyers but this is just my personal opinion. My wife is so offended by the looks of Swift/Ritz that we did not even to bother to visit Suzuki dealers although the k10 engine is best in class.

Feature-wise I believe i10 Asta is ahead of Swift/Ritz. Nissan Micra is the closest competitor in this department with lots of cool stuff in its XV Petrol version. I wish Hyundai had provided ACC in higher versions, which is very convenient IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
excellent review. Very useful. Any information on the fuel economy of the manual and the AT variants?
One of the weak points in the earlier version was the AT fuel economy. I hope they have done something to improve that!
I consistently got 11 kmpl on AT within city. I would be curious to know if VTVT engine does any improvement to that. Maruti A-star provides 14 kmpl in city which is respectable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benu9714 View Post
One thing : if you are running at or below 60 KMPH, with gearbox in D (drive), and you want to speed up (to overtake a truck or climb a hill), it is necessary to click the "Overdrive Off" button on the gearshift so as to put the gearbox (effectively) in 3rd gear. If not, the engine develops a deep hum - signs of lugging. When put in 3rd gear in this way, the engine revs happily and speed picks up fast. The switch can be pressed again at close to 80 KMPH and the car will run happily in 4th.
This is an interesting way to downshift. Generally OD is switched off to restrict the car upto 3rd gear for a "sporty" feel. If you floor the accelerator during normal driving, the car downshifts immediately producing more power to surge ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Noticed that the city/highway FE reported by benu9714 for his i10-AT is inline with what Samurai also gets on his i10-AT. Wondering if it is normal to have such a huge disparity between city and highway FE figures ie. city FE being close to half that of highway FE?

@beny9714, what was the OTR price of the i10-AT Asta in Calcutta ? Must have been ~7lakhs odd I believe.
The 2nd gear in i10 AT kicks in late thus producing lower FE within city. On highway, the car runs happily in top gear and gives much better FE.

i10 Asta AT OTR in Kolkata is 6.55 with sunroof (not considering any discounts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by motortechie View Post
+1 to above. It would be nice if they could have provided 60:40 or 50:50 split seating which in my opinion should be available on all hatchbacks. Probably Hyundai feels that there will be no takers for the i20 if all these features are available in the i10.
i10 rear bench is small - for two full sized adults and not three. A 60/40 split could look awkward but a full folding seat like Micra would have been nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman360 View Post
Hi - can someone comment on the ride quality of the new i10 compared to a: The Swift and b: the Ritz
i10 is lighter than Swift/Ritz and ride quality is bumpier for the backseat passengers but I will not consider this as a deal breaker. The rear bench of i10 is better inclined than Swift and provides better comfort IMO. Swift and Ritz are more upright but uneven roads are handled better.

Last edited by sbiswas : 27th March 2011 at 00:07.
Old 29th March 2011, 18:38   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiswas View Post

My wife is so offended by the looks of Swift/Ritz that we did not even to bother to visit Suzuki dealers although the k10 engine is best in class.
Same with my wife too. She hates Swift so much that if I buy Swift by any chance she'll never sit in the car with me. No amount of convincing effort from me on the sporty design gave fruitful result. We had to finally settle for brand new Alto (as she calls "Cute car") instead of used Swift as our second car.
Old 29th March 2011, 20:40   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaticfan View Post
Same with my wife too. She hates Swift so much that if I buy Swift by any chance she'll never sit in the car with me. No amount of convincing effort from me on the sporty design gave fruitful result. We had to finally settle for brand new Alto (as she calls "Cute car") instead of used Swift as our second car.
It appears that my wife is somehow related to the wife of sbiswas/automaticfan. My wife refused to even shortlist the Swift when were were planning to buy a car in December 2010. There was no question of a test drive and even if the Swift were to be available on the same day, she made it clear that she would never consider the Swift, at least in its present shape. She too had/has this "I-will-never-sit-in-a-Swift" opinion. She had a strong opinion (negative) on the rear end of the Ritz as well, but was willing to consider it as a potential rival to the I10. In the end, she loved the overall feel, fit and finish as well as features of the I10 1.2 Magna and concurred with me that the I10 was a better all-round car than the Ritz.
Old 29th March 2011, 23:02   #80
BHPian

Familiarity breeds contempt ( Just adding some sidhusim to the thread ) . Thats all i can say regarding the shape of the swift .

You need to remember that the swift is almost 5 years old now. So probably people must have got bored of the shape.It has a great engine compared to the i10.However the i10 scores over the swift in better features/interiors/plastics.
Old 30th March 2011, 01:25   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motortechie View Post
Familiarity breeds contempt ( Just adding some sidhusim to the thread ) . Thats all i can say regarding the shape of the swift .

You need to remember that the swift is almost 5 years old now. So probably people must have got bored of the shape.It has a great engine compared to the i10.However the i10 scores over the swift in better features/interiors/plastics.
To be honest with you, it had nothing to do with familiarity, as my wife never liked the looks of the Swift from Day 1. Both of us, however, like the looks of the low-bodied hatches like Polo, Punto and Figo. It's a pit that Maruti does not have an answer (as yet) to these three beauties. Mind you, we don't get bored seeing these three cars, no matter how popular they could get.

Also, we are not technically/mechanically sound to compare between the engines of the Swift/Ritz and the I10. We are more than happy as long as the car does well in the following E's:

* Engine -- reliable and powerful
* Economy -- simple and economical to maintain
* Efficiency -- frugal to run
* Equipment -- good fit and finish with decent features.
* Entry/Exit -- provides easy ingress/egress.

We find the I10 does well in these aspects and hence, we have no complaints so far. For sure, the I10 is not going to win any beauty contests, but then we never bought the I10 for its looks.
Old 30th March 2011, 10:38   #82
Senior - BHPian

If you think the i10 is frugal, am not sure what you would call the K-series in the Swift/Ritz, which is not only fun to drive, but is amazingly efficient - I am not going by ARAI figures which is a load of bull, but from actual user experience. IMO the whole ARAI FE figure thing needs to be banned because it gives the uninformed buyer a wrong impression - they think they will get that figure in normal running condition and get disappointed when they don't.

The i10 does tick most boxes for customers, which is evident in its sales without even a diesel option, but that in no way makes it the best. The Ritz and Swift do some things much better than the i10, while lagging behind in some - depends on what factors do it for you.

Regarding looks, everyone has their own likes and dislikes. But the Ritz with its cut-back and the i10 with its boring looks are in no way contenders for a beauty contest. Comparitively, the Swift commands attention - you might like it as most people do or hate it like some people do, but you can't ignore it like you would ignore an i10 on the streets (in terms of purely external looks).

P.S.: We own a Swift, but I don't think it is a looker. For me, the Jazz is the only looker among hatches.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 30th March 2011 at 10:40.
Old 30th March 2011, 12:39   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not going by ARAI figures which is a load of bull, but from actual user experience. IMO the whole ARAI FE figure thing needs to be banned because it gives the uninformed buyer a wrong impression
I would any day go with ARAI or auto magazine numbers that the figures quoted by users. Some users quote FE numbers which are simply too good to be true. There are other criteria too - city mileage in Mumbai/Bangalore will definitely not be the same for other cities which doesn't have the same traffic woes. A person who tortures himself to turn off a/c and drive ~2200 rpm and never cross 80kmph might get a fantastic highway mileage which others cannot - and do not want to - replicate.

Its good to have numbers quoted in a standard way than going by hearsay.
Old 30th March 2011, 23:26   #84
BHPian

Quote:
If you think the i10 is frugal, am not sure what you would call the K-series in the Swift/Ritz, which is not only fun to drive, but is amazingly efficient - I am not going by ARAI figures which is a load of bull, but from actual user experience. IMO the whole ARAI FE figure thing needs to be banned because it gives the uninformed buyer a wrong impression - they think they will get that figure in normal running condition and get disappointed when they don't.
I quite agree with you that ARAI figures can be highly misleading, but customers should know by now that they have to take these figures with a tablespoon of salt.

Quote:
The i10 does tick most boxes for customers, which is evident in its sales without even a diesel option, but that in no way makes it the best. The Ritz and Swift do some things much better than the i10, while lagging behind in some - depends on what factors do it for you.
I don't think I ever said the I10 was the best, especially when compared to the likes of the Swift, Ritz, Figo, etc. All cars have their strengths and it depends on what aspects are considered crucial for the customer.

Quote:
Regarding looks, everyone has their own likes and dislikes. But the Ritz with its cut-back and the i10 with its boring looks are in no way contenders for a beauty contest. Comparitively, the Swift commands attention - you might like it as most people do or hate it like some people do, but you can't ignore it like you would ignore an i10 on the streets (in terms of purely external looks).
To be honest, I'm more than happy to own a popular car that does NOT invite curious onlookers or unnecessary stares. I prefer to have a car which is sold in high numbers, mainly to ensure that spares are easy to obtain and maintenance/service is easily available. We earlier owned the Matiz and we realized that while it was a superb car during its period, spares were not easy to obtain and maintenance/service was not easily available.
Old 31st March 2011, 12:24   #85
Senior - BHPian

@SkyWalker, I see your point about ARAI figures being based on a standard way - which is good because all cars would be tested similarly and fairly. But then ARAI figures also do not give any indication about which city, what rpm/speed, a/c on or off, traffic conditions etc. So how does one use this data ?

The reason I mentioned about 'wrong impression' was because I see colleagues telling, "I am buying so and so car. The FE is 20.xx kmpl which is great FE". In reality, he would get maybe 30-35% less than that in Chennai traffic, leading to disappointment. If they seem to think that ARAI figures are attainable in reality, imagine what uninformed buyers would be believing.

BTW, anyone knows how exactly ARAI measures the FE ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas
I quite agree with you that ARAI figures can be highly misleading, but customers should know by now that they have to take these figures with a tablespoon of salt.
Nope, most don't. Reason is the ARAI stamp (Govt agency and all) makes them think this is official figures. Salespeople also sometimes use this info selectively.
Old 31st March 2011, 14:19   #86
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ncy-tests.html

This link explains how ARAI conducts its fuel efficiency tests. Most of the customers (at least team-bhp customers) know that the ARAI FE figure is the FE that would be got if the car is driven under ideal conditions. The FE figures change from city to city depending upon the nature of traffic.

Is it fair though to assume that a car with higher ARAI FE would give more mileage than another car with lower ARAI FE figure with the assumption that both the cars would be driven by the same person in the same traffic conditions and same driving style?
Old 31st March 2011, 17:16   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@SkyWalker, I see your point about ARAI figures being based on a standard way - which is good because all cars would be tested similarly and fairly. But then ARAI figures also do not give any indication about which city, what rpm/speed, a/c on or off, traffic conditions etc. So how does one use this data ?
SB, somebody has given detailed links below.

I am not claiming that ARAI is the absolute truth. I agree the way they test need to be improved. But its still better that we have a standardized measurement rather than going by only user quotes, and its definitely much much better than manufacturer claims.
Old 31st March 2011, 20:11   #88
BHPian

Quote:
For me, the Jazz is the only looker among hatches
Now I know to what extent the perception of looks differ from person to person.

While I respect your views, to me, the Jazz is ugliest looking hatch in india. It looks more like Zen estillo from side and front. I don't consider this car even at half price just for it looks. If they replace the body with i20 then I'm willing to pay premium for Jazz for its overall quality.
Old 31st March 2011, 20:45   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From the numbers, it seems like ARAI numbers are similar to what you would get by driving a steady 80 kph on the freeway. Its a good comparison of hwy economy.

Only problem is that 2 cars getting identical (or close) FE on hwy can differ quite a bit in the city.
Old 31st March 2011, 21:05   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker
I agree the way they test need to be improved. But its still better that we have a standardized measurement rather than going by only user quotes, and its definitely much much better than manufacturer claims.
From the link, it looks like they could do with quite some improvement. I personally dont have any issue with ARAI figures since I know they are meaningless. But the general public without access to tbhp/automags consider it to be real-world figures. I agree with you that it still is better than manufacturer claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaticfan
While I respect your views, to me, the Jazz is ugliest looking hatch in india. If they replace the body with i20 then I'm willing to pay premium for Jazz for its overall quality.
I actually thought the i20 was the hottest hatch around (esp in black) when it was launched. But somehow the initial enthusiasm waned and now I think the Getz which it replaced is better looking. The love for Jazz started after seeing a red-hot Jazz which is parked on the road where I take my morning walk. To me it was drool maal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
From the numbers, it seems like ARAI numbers are similar to what you would get by driving a steady 80 kph on the freeway. Its a good comparison of hwy economy.
I think you have a point because that speed is I believe the most FE-friendly for cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks