Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2012, 19:20   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Thanks, I know I can take it out. What I really meant is 'is it recommended' to take the car out to the highway and hills so early in it's life?
Feeling confused
I know many people(in family/friend circles) who took their brand new cars to Shimla/Haridwar/Jaipur/Chandigrah/etc within couple of days of taking the delivery. There is no reason why should you not take the car to any place you want.

Just keep those revvs within limits for first 1000KMs.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 14:49   #512

Re: My Fluidic Hyundai Verna SX 1.6L CRDI

Hi Team,
I just got delivery of my new Verna 1.6 CRDi SX.
I need to know is there any run-in period as such.
As per my knowledge engines today are pre-run-in.
Please advise.

Thanks.
Old 10th August 2012, 11:02   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

• Team-BHP recommends that you change your engine oil after the first 1,000 km. As with all new engines, you will find that some metal slivers have found their way into the oil. From this point onward you can stick to the manufacturer recommended intervals.
What about the new generation cars like Polo and the Marutis with K10 engine? Couple of my friends have bought a Polo and a K10 respectively and the first engine oil change the company recommends is after 10,000km. I can't digest that you can let a new engine run on the same oil for 10,000 km.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 10th August 2012 at 11:04. Reason: Selecting the 'quotes' correctly.
Old 10th August 2012, 11:30   #514
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
What about the new generation cars like Polo and the Marutis with K10 engine? Couple of my friends have bought a Polo and a K10 respectively and the first engine oil change the company recommends is after 10,000km. I can't digest that you can let a new engine run on the same oil for 10,000 km.
Not required in the new generation engines in theory, but I have seen metal shaving collected by the sump magnet even in new generation engines!
Personally, I did not wait for 15000kms, and got a voluntary oil change done at 7500.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 23:33   #515
BHPian

I have a doubt,
It is said that a new engine to properly "break-in" or "run-in" what ever you call it, you should run it in different RPMs (of course you avoid very high RPMs?) and avoid driving in single RPM for long distances. Also I heard once initial 1000 Kms are over, again you drive in different RPMs (can take it to redline?). My problem is -
How do I run-in an automatic? Being automatic, I guess it will not allow RPMs to go higher and shifts up early.
Old 14th August 2012, 12:06   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
I have a doubt,
It is said that a new engine to properly "break-in" or "run-in" what ever you call it, you should run it in different RPMs (of course you avoid very high RPMs?) and avoid driving in single RPM for long distances. Also I heard once initial 1000 Kms are over, again you drive in different RPMs (can take it to redline?). My problem is -
How do I run-in an automatic? Being automatic, I guess it will not allow RPMs to go higher and shifts up early.
In Automatics use accelerator to change RPM. Also use lower gears (L and 2 ) once in a while. But most of the time RPM is controlled by acceleration.
Old 19th August 2012, 23:42   #517
BHPian

I now have booked a Laura CR TDI MT. Now I would like to know -
1. Is it recommended to go for an oil change at 1000 Kms with this car too? Now that will make it an expensive affair as it uses expensive synthetic oil.
2. Any idea whether engines in these premium cars come pre-run in?
Old 24th August 2012, 12:19   #518
BHPian

I have just got a Ford Figo 1.2 Titanium, completed 100kms yesterday.
I don't have too much know-how about run-in, went through the thread and still couldn't make complete sense out of it (maybe it's too technical for me!)
I have a couple of questions (may sound silly, but this is the first time i am encountering this situation):
1. Should I restrict my running to 60kph for the first 1000kms?
2. If i don't, will it damage the engine in any way?
3. I haven't encountered any trouble with my other 2 cars: the Chevy Spark (bought in August 2011) & the Ford Figo Zxi Petrol (bought in Jan 2012) - both cars were driven at around 80-100kph during the first 1000kms! (I did that!)

Response would be greatly appreciated!
Old 24th August 2012, 14:29   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
I have just got a Ford Figo 1.2 Titanium, completed 100kms yesterday.
I don't have too much know-how about run-in, went through the thread and still couldn't make complete sense out of it (maybe it's too technical for me!)
I have a couple of questions (may sound silly, but this is the first time i am encountering this situation):
1. Should I restrict my running to 60kph for the first 1000kms?
2. If i don't, will it damage the engine in any way?
3. I haven't encountered any trouble with my other 2 cars: the Chevy Spark (bought in August 2011) & the Ford Figo Zxi Petrol (bought in Jan 2012) - both cars were driven at around 80-100kph during the first 1000kms! (I did that!)

Response would be greatly appreciated!

1. No. But better to remain below 3K RPM
2. May be if driven for long in very high (near redline) RPM or lugging the engine.
3. Any sensible driver with reasonable driving skills driving "normally" cant damage modern engines that easily I suppose
Old 9th September 2012, 22:19   #520
BANNED

I own a brand new Honda Brio VMT. At about 250 Kms, for a stretch of about 800 meters, I revved the car hard, shifting to fifth gear at about 120 Kmph.

The manual didnt mention anything and I was under the impression that its alright to do so as these engines are pre-run.

Have I caused any damage?
Old 14th September 2012, 19:59   #521
BHPian

I've just done 1000kms on my Figo Petrol. Is this sufficient run-in period?
I've taken care to not rev the engine beyond 3k so far, can i now rev the engine harder without any adverse effects or do i need to complete some more kms?
Thanks in advance!
Old 14th September 2012, 20:15   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84
I've just done 1000kms on my Figo Petrol. Is this sufficient run-in period?
I've taken care to not rev the engine beyond 3k so far, can i now rev the engine harder without any adverse effects or do i need to complete some more kms?
Thanks in advance!
In your place, I would wait till the first service and then rev upto 4K for another 500 kms before revving higher. I feel its better to be safe than sorry.
00nuts001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 20:26   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00nuts001

In your place, I would wait till the first service and then rev upto 4K for another 500 kms before revving higher. I feel its better to be safe than sorry.
Is it necessary to rev the engine upto 4k rpm? My car hardly goes above 3000rpm. Ive done 15k kms though. Am i doing something wrong or is it ok?
Old 14th September 2012, 20:50   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00nuts001

The first service for Figo is scheduled @ 3m or 2.5k kms, whichever is earlier. Isn't that too much time to wait? It's really hard not to go beyond 3k rpm as the engine seems to deliver the punch only after 2.5k revs. This way if i change gear @ 3k rpm the acceleration is really poor!
Is there an alternative?
Old 15th September 2012, 23:49   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig

Is it necessary to rev the engine upto 4k rpm? My car hardly goes above 3000rpm. Ive done 15k kms though. Am i doing something wrong or is it ok?
Perhaps thats the way you drive. Relax. Would be interesting to know your gear shift speeds and max and avge speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84

The first service for Figo is scheduled @ 3m or 2.5k kms, whichever is earlier. Isn't that too much time to wait? It's really hard not to go beyond 3k rpm as the engine seems to deliver the punch only after 2.5k revs. This way if i change gear @ 3k rpm the acceleration is really poor!
Is there an alternative?
Well i meant the standard first service schedule of most cars at 1000 kms / 1 Month. In such a case there seems no harm to go to 4k.

Drive safe and enjoy your ride!
00nuts001 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed