Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2011, 12:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)

Shreeram thats a great little find you have got there. Congratulations on acquiring such a rare piece of automotive history

Many of us are very curious about the restoration work that you have undertaken and have now glued to this thread. It seems like Bajaj used a lot of 3 wheeler technology including parts bin to come up with the PTV. Like for example the fuel tank placement as you mentioned has an access from the rear panel, similar to the RE autoriksha. One thing for sure, most of the spares for the mechanicals may be easily available even from the current vehicles of Bajaj which would be lighter on your pocket while restoration.

Not sure if the RE came first or the PTV and some of the learnings might have gone into the RE. Do let us know the condition of the vehicle's mechanicals, body, interiors etc as is and after restoration for people to appreciate the amount of effort put on the restoration.
Old 10th October 2011, 13:12   #32
BHPian

Shreeram,
Since your car being a carry forward from the autorickshaw, you have lot of choices in upgrading it. You can think of as many new power train parts as possible. I guess you would like it as stock as possible, still this is only a suggestion from my side.
1. Higher wattage alternator, rectifier-regulator & better lighting
2. Electronic Ignition
3. The new Mikuni carburettor, I presume you have a spaco carb
4. New brake pads and brake drums if required
5. New rims for the tyres
6. Looks like the headlamps are the same as auto rockshaws
7. DC wiring loom with louder horns.
I think I can populate this list with n number of options which you might not be interested in, yet it was my personal list of upgrades which I would have liked to do.
Waiting for your comment on the engine status. Have you tried starting the engine?
Old 12th October 2011, 18:22   #33
BHPian

Interesting find! Kudos to your efforts. Waiting to see the vehicle after the final paint job.
Old 12th October 2011, 23:57   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Shreeram thats a great little find you have got there. Congratulations on acquiring such a rare piece of automotive historyMany of us are very curious about the restoration work that you have undertaken and have now glued to this thread. Do let us know the condition of the vehicle's mechanicals, body, interiors etc as is and after restoration for people to appreciate the amount of effort put on the restoration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Shreeram,
Waiting for your comment on the engine status. Have you tried starting the engine?
Yes Ilangop and Girish. The PTV shares a lot of parts with the Rickshaw and are easy to find and light on the pocket too. Mainly the cosmetic Bits. The Engine Bits are a little Expensive.

I will do my Best to Post both Before and After Pics and details of the Work done on the PTV.

I do have a lot of Choices for Upgrades and have already got them done on the car. Like Electronic Ignition, High Capacity/ Output Regulator Rectifier.
I will be Posting all the Parts I replace, The Difference between the Old Part and the New if there are Upgrades and their Price.

I will be Installing and Replacing the old parts with New and make the PTV Running on the Road. Then Disassemble everything. Get all Parts Painted, Powder coated and Chromed. Then Re - Assemble the entire Car.

Rains are Playing Spoilsport by not letting me work on the PTV and The Net connection was down too so not able to Post Frequent Updates. I have clicked pics but I am not able to Post them due to limited Bandwidth. Will post pics as Soon as Possible. I will be posting some Updates together datewise with pics as soon as i am able to do so.

Heres My LOG
10 / 10 / 2011

I have the Car Jacked up.

New Inner Outer Cables for the Gear Change (75 Rs.), Clutch (50 Rs) and Handbrake and Accelerator (40 Rs) were Installed. Engine Oil was Replaced ( 500 Rs)
The Engine was Fired Up. Its Running Well. Gears are also engaging well.

But there seems to be a problem with the Differential. I think the Teeth on the Internal Gears are Damaged. I am Opening it Up tomorrow for Close Inspection.

Hope I am able to post Pics soon.
Shreeram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 08:00   #35
BHPian

LOG - 10/10/2011
In the mean Time I have Painted the Floor. The Floor had Surface Rust on it. It was first sanded to remove the rust then Epoxy Rubber Paint was spread on it. I have applied the First Coat. Tomorrow I will apply the Second and the Last coat.
Before

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-floor-unpainted.jpg
After

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-floor-painted.jpg
As you can see In the Picture Below there is a Floor Panel (Marked in RED) below the Pedals which can be removed for servicing and installing the Brakes, Clutch and Accelerator. Some Bolts on this were rusted shut. They were chopped off. This Panel will be Powder Coated and a Epoxy Rubber Coat Applied to it too.
A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-controls-w.jpg

All the Switches and Lights from the Dash were removed for Refurbishing or Replacing. It also had a small fan mounted on it that needs refurbishing.
A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-dash_20111012_035450.jpg

Here is a Tings to Do List which I had made when I got the PTV with a Few Additions as I proceed.
Things to Do Status
1)Cleanup Done
2)Replace all Engine Control Cables Done
3)Carburetor Overhaul Done
4)Starter Overhaul Done
5)Brakes Overhaul In Progress
6)Engine Wiring with Electronic Ignition Upgrade Done
7)Electrical Wiring In Progress
8)Epoxy Rubber Coat for Floor In Progress
9)Body Installation Pending
10)Disassembly Pending
11)Cushion and Head Liner Pending
12)Painting Pending
13)Chrome / Powdercoating Pending
14)New Tires Pending
15)Cosmetics Replace Pending
16)Dash Refurbishing Pending
Shreeram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 22:48   #36
BHPian

Update - 12/10/2011

Update 12/10/2011

As stated earlier the Differential was opened for close Inspection.

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-diff.jpg

It was found that the Teeth on one of the gear's were damaged.

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-diff_20111012_042602.jpg

They were replaced with another Set along with the Bearings Set.
Bearings - 250 Rs, Gear Box Oil - 100 Rs, Diff Oil Seals - 50,
Diff Gear Set - 600 Rs. Misc - 200 Rs

Also the Axle Hubs were kind of Rusted so decided to Replace them with new ones. New Hubs - 400 Rs

These are the Old Types which have 2 separate parts which combine to make the Hub.

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-diff_20111012_042613.jpg

The New Type is just a one piece in which the Axle Slides In.

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-images.jpg

The New Type has a disadvantage though. The Wheels and the Entire Suspension needs to be removed in order to fit the Axles. In the old type you could just slide in the Axles and Lock them without the Hassel's of disassembling the entire suspension.

Anyways The Hubs on the Wheel side on the PTV were good and I had replaced the Hubs on the Differential only so was saved with the hassel's.
Shreeram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 07:42   #37
Senior - BHPian

Re: Update - 12/10/2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
They were replaced with another Set along with the Bearings Set.
Bearings - 250 Rs, Gear Box Oil - 100 Rs, Diff Oil Seals - 50,
Diff Gear Set - 600 Rs. Misc - 200 Rs

Also the Axle Hubs were kind of Rusted so decided to Replace them with new ones. New Hubs - 400 Rs
Shreeram i not being a technical person have a stupid question

Considering that the PTV is a very old vehicle are the parts available or do you have to hunt around for those? Is it the case that you just have to use the parts that are avaialble in the market by doing some jugaad.
Old 14th October 2011, 09:49   #38
BHPian

Sreeram,
The gear selector sleeve is also a part that wears out often. Since you have opened so much, do inspect the gear selector spider and replace if required.
Attached Thumbnails
A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-diff.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 22:10   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Sreeram,
The gear selector sleeve is also a part that wears out often. Since you have opened so much, do inspect the gear selector spider and replace if required.
You mean the Reverse Gear Selector right. That's inspected and looks good. The Entire Differential is now back together with new components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Shreeram i not being a technical person have a stupid question

Hey Amit, Even I am not a very technical person ( Read A Hotel Manager doing Mechanical Work ) but its the inner feeling of Getting to know something and trying to learn it using Manuals and The Internet, along with a little Geometry, Common Sense and Keen Observation its easy to troubleshoot problems provided you are wiling to get down and get your hands dirty. Thats how I learn new things. At one point of time i used to rely on mechanics to do the Work. But I used to observe and ask questions regarding his work. Then hook on to the net for Reference work regarding the work done. reading about the Basic Principles. I have downloaded various manuals for cars and bikes and keep reading them whenever i get time. Some manuals dipict the work in a very simple way some dont.

For example i learn't the electrical wiring of cars and bikes because of my dolphin and datsun manuals. I used to sit for hours together studying which wire goes where and how different electrical components work in conjunction to make a particular function work.

Quote:
Considering that the PTV is a very old vehicle are the parts available or do you have to hunt around for those? Is it the case that you just have to use the parts that are avaialble in the market by doing some jugaad.
Now back to the PTV

Let me tell you, as I am Proceding with the Restoration of the PTV, it seems Parts used in the PTV during Manufacturing, most of which belonged to the Front Engined Auto Rickshaw, are NO LONGER MANUFACTURED and NOT AVAILABLE in the Market Easily.

There are only some parts which have remained unchanged over the Years. So only Certain parts or their equivalents are available.

So I will Have to Make "Jugads" on this restoration of mine too, unlike my earlier vision and thinking.

Taking of "Jugad" I had opened up the brakes for Overhauling them. Here are some Pics

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-brakes-hub-l.web.jpg

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-brakes-hub-r.web.jpg

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-wheels-dscn0644.1.web.jpg

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-brakes-drums-1.web.jpg

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-brake-cyl.1-web.jpg

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-brakes-assorted-old-parts4.1.web.jpg

Now Heres the JUGAD Item

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-brakes-ms.web.jpg

This is the Brake Master Cylinder which was used in the PTV. The major difference between the normal Brake Master Cylinders and this one is that The Brake Fluid Container is not mounted directly on the Master Cylinder. Its Located far away on the Firewall and connected to the cylinder with a Pipe as u can see in the Pic's Below.

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-controls-1.web.jpg

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-controls.web.jpg

As of now no Master Cylinder available with Bajaj will Practically fit in the space in which this old cylinder fits. If i decide to use a new type Master cylinder, The Major Hurdle will be relocate and connect the fluid container to the Master Cylinder. Besides that the size of the New Type Master Cylinders also Vary read New ones are bigger.

I am searching for one of old types or an equivalent for the Past 3 Days.
Searched the Whole Market of Rickshaw Spare Parts with no Luck.

Till I find this Works Stalled.

Some "JUGAD" or an "Excellent Idea and Workmanship" is the Only Solution as of Now.
Shreeram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 05:17   #40
BHPian

Quote:
This is the Brake Master Cylinder which was used in the PTV.
As of now no Master Cylinder available with Bajaj will Practically fit in the space in which this old cylinder fits. If i decide to use a new type Master cylinder, The Major Hurdle will be relocate and connect the fluid container to the Master Cylinder. Besides that the size of the New Type Master Cylinders also Vary read New ones are bigger.

I am searching for one of old types or an equivalent for the Past 3 Days.
Searched the Whole Market of Rickshaw Spare Parts with no Luck.

Till I find this Works Stalled.

Some "JUGAD" or an "Excellent Idea and Workmanship" is the Only Solution as of Now.

Shreeram, why are you looking for a new one? is this one beyond repair? try opening up this one and check, with a few rubber o rings and bushes, u may be able to salvage this one and get it working. The o rings and rubber bushes may be easier to source than the entire master cylinder.
Old 15th October 2011, 07:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Amit, Even I am not a very technical person ( Read A Hotel Manager doing Mechanical Work ) but its the inner feeling of Getting to know something and trying to learn it using Manuals and The Internet, along with a little Geometry, Common Sense and Keen Observation its easy to troubleshoot problems provided you are wiling to get down and get your hands dirty.
Thank you for your response. Appreciate your perseverance and hard work. You are right about reading up things and having a keen observation. Frankly before i bought my first car in India in May 2009 i had no idea about the mechanicals of the car. But now after being on the forum for more than a year have learned a lot. Now its time to get the hands dirty. As they say the devil is in the details.

Coimng back to PTV. I cannot really help you in your predicament but only wish you all the best and am sure that the issue would be resolved.
Old 15th October 2011, 08:57   #42
BHPian

Quote:
As of now no Master Cylinder (MC) available with Bajaj will Practically fit in the space in which this old cylinder fits. If i decide to use a new type Master cylinder, The Major Hurdle will be relocate and connect the fluid container to the Master Cylinder. Besides that the size of the New Type MC also Vary read New ones are bigger.
Bro, No worries. There are a couple of auto rickshaw and tempo spare part shops which I know around Pimpri. Why dont you drop down with the removed parts, with which we can find the actual or at least the best match. Locating a remote mounted brake fluid reservoir is not a problem, as many of the modern cars have this system either for brake or clutch actuation. At least I can help you on this.
The newer master cylinders have 2 output ports, 1 for the rear & 1 for the front wheel. Hence they are longer and bulkier. And the link rod between the pedal and the MC can be modified with the ones available in market. We had actually done this while converting an autorickshaw into a 4 wheeler in our college days. Auto rickshaw is one simple machine in which you can play around & learn a lot. Call me any time you need help. Would love to help you on this.
-Ilango
Attached Thumbnails
A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-1531790936_6cf657fcfb.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 19:27   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Shreeram, why are you looking for a new one? is this one beyond repair? try opening up this one and check...
One of my known rickshaw mechanics was behind me to get the old master cylinder overhauled. The Inner Replacement Parts are available. But I was of the opinion to replace it with new one. But still he was firm and he took the Master Cylinder from me, he will be getting it overhauled and giving it back to me on Monday. But its my observation over many cars that Particularly Master Cylinders and Wheel Cylinders which are not used over long years tend to leak after some use even when properly overhauled. So i was keen on getting a replacement as i thought the parts will be available. I have visited some of the City's oldest Bajaj Parts shops only to be told that a similar one is not available.
Lets see if the old one works and for how long.

Quote:
Coimng back to PTV. I cannot really help you in your predicament but only wish you all the best and am sure that the issue would be resolved.

NO PROBLEM's Thanks.
Quote:
Bro, No worries. There are a couple of auto rickshaw and tempo spare part shops which I know around Pimpri. Why dont you drop down with the removed parts, with which we can find the actual or at least the best match.
-Ilango

Hey Thanks Ilangop. Will see if the old overhauled Master Cylinder works or not. Anyways getting a new replacement keeping it as a spare is good. So
Will drop by next week to see if we can find a new replacement one.
Old 21st October 2011, 21:06   #44
BHPian

Hello Guys.

The Restoration on the PTV is in Progress but i was not able to Post Updates.
So Here it is

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-body_20111012_035531.web.jpg

The Wheels, drums were removed, The Brake Wheel Cylinders and the other parts related to Brakes were Dismantled.

Then went for some Shopping

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-dscn0667.web.jpg

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-dscn0668.web.jpg

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-dscn0669.web.jpg

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-dscn0670.web.jpg

I couldnt Resist Myself from trying on some new parts, and wanted to see them on the PTV. so the Easiest of them to replace were put on - the Tail Lamps

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-tail-lamp-dscn0627.web.jpg

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-tail-lamp-dscn0629.web.jpg

LOG - 20/10/11

As of now the Brakes - New Wheel Cylinders have been installed, new Brake Pads, Springs have been Installed. The Brake Drums were Cleaned and the Wheels are now back on the car.

Work on the Wiring has started. will post some pics soon.

Thanks
Shreeram
Shreeram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2011, 12:30   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys........... I couldnt Resist Myself from trying on some new parts, and wanted to see them on the PTV. so the Easiest of them to replace were put on - the Tail Lamps.........Thanks Shreeram
I have a suggestion regarding the tail lights. Buy a few extra sets if available. Normally the quality of plastic is quite poor, and they fade and become brittle with time. It is better to put a nice new tail light when displaying the car, and then remove again. How this rubbish quality of plastic was allowed to be used in the first place is not clear to me. This problem is chronice, many 2 wheelers are also affected.

Cheers harit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks