Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2011, 17:53   #46
BHPian

Re: A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I have a suggestion regarding the tail lights. Buy a few extra sets if available. Normally the quality of plastic is quite poor, and they fade and become brittle with time. It is better to put a nice new tail light when displaying the car, and then remove again. How this rubbish quality of plastic was allowed to be used in the first place is not clear to me. This problem is chronice, many 2 wheelers are also affected.

Cheers harit
Yes Harit, the Plastic Quality is very poor. The one the Shopkeeper presented me first had numerous scratches on it. So i made him go through many of them and choose the good ones. But still it has minor scratches. Dont know about the Fading part, I mean how fast they fade. Lets see. Yes Keeping some stock is not a bad idea, as they are cheap too.

A good idea to keep them shining may be is to give it a clear coat when new. The shine may last a little longer but may have chipping problem will try it out. I had used wax pol on the taillights of my datsun and it seems to keep them shining too.
Old 22nd October 2011, 21:37   #47
Senior - BHPian

Been following this thread for quite some time and i must mention that i am delighted to see the step by step restoration procedure being followed by you, Shreeram.
I totally agree with Harit ji on the poor quality of most of the light fittings available today. Even my Fiat's light lenses have the same problem. The best way to protect them is to polish with a good wax (polish). A mild rubbing compound, Formula 1 scratch out liquid, can be used to bring back the shine of a faded lens. Actually i have tried this on a couple of junk lenses which i had with me. With 2 to 3 passes of F1 scratch out the lens regained some shine and clarity. Just my 2 cents.
BTW eagerly waiting for more updates on the PTV.
Old 24th October 2011, 12:44   #48
Senior - BHPian

I have seen the plastic quality of the OE replacement part slightly let than the original as fitted. Further any aftermarket fitting, especially lens cover fades too quickly. Using the OEM part lasts longer. But then in some cases OEM is not available :(.
Old 24th October 2011, 20:28   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Bro, No worries. There are a couple of auto rickshaw and tempo spare part shops which I know around Pimpri. Why dont you drop down with the removed parts, with which we can find the actual or at least the best match. Locating a remote mounted brake fluid reservoir is not a problem, as many of the modern cars have this system either for brake or clutch actuation. At least I can help you on this.
The newer master cylinders have 2 output ports, 1 for the rear & 1 for the front wheel. Hence they are longer and bulkier. And the link rod between the pedal and the MC can be modified with the ones available in market. We had actually done this while converting an autorickshaw into a 4 wheeler in our college days. Auto rickshaw is one simple machine in which you can play around & learn a lot. Call me any time you need help. Would love to help you on this.
-Ilango
Wow! good stuff, I am sure this vehicle would be good enough carrier for a middle income group to ferry their family, what happened to this project then, I wonder what would be the body shape if it had to have a nice looking body, I would think something similar to TATA ace venture. More light on what happened to this college project and also share the steering mechanism, how it is constructed and how far it went Ilango sir.
Old 27th October 2011, 17:44   #50
BHPian

Update

25/10/2011

The Car is standing tall on its own wheels now.

The Wiring is Complete.

The Whole Interior in painted black.

Now the Dash is being refurbished.

Will post pics soon.

Thanks
Shreeram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 12:56   #51
Senior - BHPian

Can't wait to see the PTV standing on its own wheels! Now it seems like all the mechanicals are done and its only the exteriors and passenger area that needs to be taken care of right or is there some thing else as well?
Old 28th October 2011, 13:07   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Can't wait to see the PTV standing on its own wheels! Now it seems like all the mechanicals are done and its only the exteriors and passenger area that needs to be taken care of right or is there some thing else as well?
Yes you are right
Just the Brakes need to be tested ( using the old master cylinder with new washers).
As for the Interiors At the moment using the old Seat and upholstery itself.

The Idea now is to make it run and See how its doing on the Road. Use it as it is for a month or so.. then get on with finishing the car - the Upholstery, Paint, Powdercoat and Chrome. New Tyres etc.
Old 28th October 2011, 17:55   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
Yes you are right
Just the Brakes need to be tested ( using the old master cylinder with new washers).
Like i said earlier... I'm sure it'll be fine!
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:11   #54
BHPian

Ok. Here are some WIP pics and Updates

The Control Well's (as i call it) bolts were rusted so were grinded off and the Well removed to facilitate Brake Master Cylinder Fitting.

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-brake-well-.web.jpg

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-brake-well-2.web.jpg

The Removed Control Well will be Powder Coated and its Base will be given a Rubber Epoxy Coat

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-brake-well-removed.web.jpg

Interiors Painted

The Floor will be given a Second Helping of Epoxy Rubber Coat and then a Carpet Installed

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-paint.web.jpg

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-paint-2.web.jpg

Dash Partly Refurbished.

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-dash-2.web.jpg

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-dash-3.jpg

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-dash-front-view.web.jpg

The New Starter Button is a little Larger, so need to make the Existing Round Grove where the Switch fits a little Larger.

Similarly the New Multi Button Switch you can see below is also a little Larger. So its Grove on the Dash also needs to be enlarged. These things will be rectified soon. And Dash Finished off.

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-copy-dscn0675.jpg

Here are Pics of the Entire Car assembled as of Today - 02/11/2011

Name:  Cross 1.web.jpg
Views: 1530
Size:  87.0 KB

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-cross-3.web.jpg

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-full-front.jpg

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-full-f-side.jpg

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-full-rear-1.jpg

Hope to see it Running and Ride the PTV on the Road soon.

You can see the Two Slots for the Stater Switch and The Multi Switch in the Picture Below
Attached Thumbnails
A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-dash-4.jpg  

Last edited by Shreeram : 2nd November 2011 at 14:15.
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:32   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Ok. Here are some WIP pics and Updates

Hey the interiors are coming out real nice.. i am going to drop in very soon to check on this beauty.. Want to see it running soon.

Last edited by bblost : 2nd November 2011 at 14:34. Reason: Please do not quote a complete large post. Thanks.
Old 3rd November 2011, 08:51   #56
BHPian

My suggestion

Sreeram,
Glad to see the progress in your PTV restoration.
Here are few of my suggestions.
1. Please get rid of the single switches (markes red in the attached picture) and use one more of the multi button switch if required.
2. I guess the multi button switch has a push button as well, you may install a water sprayer for the wind shield.
3. Since you have a complete steering column, would you want to have a complete combiswitch assembly like in a car.
Would like to visit your place and witness this project, but the distance factor is what making me postpone such a trip.
Was there a switch for the horn in the centre of the steering wheel? Were there any tell-tale bulbs at the placed marked green?
Regards,
Ilango
Attached Thumbnails
A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-dash203.jpg  

Last edited by ilangop : 3rd November 2011 at 09:07. Reason: Forgot the attachment
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:51   #57
BHPian

Thanks Priyadarshan and Ilangop

As far as the Changes mentioned by Ilangop, they are good and would apply for any other car but in case of the PTV i am not of the opinion to replace Fittings which are easily available. and keep it as stock, as it came out of the factory, as possible.

This Car would not be a daily driver as we know so adding creature comforts such as the windshield washer and a combi switch is not on list of things to do. If it were any other car which i would have done it.

The Multi Button Switch does not have a Push Button. Out of the 4 Buttons
1) For Headlights on/off
2) For Windshield Wiper on/off
3) For The Fan inside
4) For the Interior Light. Of which i forgot to Post Pics. so here it is

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-img_20111103_001941.web.jpg

Yes there was a Horn Button which is now Missing.

Also missing is one Window as seen in the pic

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-img_20111103_002022.web.jpg

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-img_20111103_002031.web.jpg

The Tell a Tale Lights are there, i need to get them cleaned and Refurbished and fitted along with new Bulbs.

A Rare Find - My Bajaj PTV (Peoples / Private Transport Vehicle)-img_20111103_002123.web.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Hey the interiors are coming out real nice.. i am going to drop in very soon to check on this beauty.. Want to see it running soon.
Yes Sir anytime.

Quote:
Sreeram,
Glad to see the progress in your PTV restoration.

Would like to visit your place and witness this project, but the distance factor is what making me postpone such a trip.

Regards,
Ilango
Try to make it. Its not much far from the Highway side. just 11 Kms.
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:59   #58
BHPian

Quote:
The Tell a Tale Lights are there, i need to get them cleaned and Refurbished and fitted along with new Bulbs.
Dude, the tell-tales look similar to the ones that came in Mahindar Jeeps CL540 / 550 somewhere in the 80s & 90s. You can carry them to a 4wheeler parts shop and confirm with them.

So, where is the switch for the high beam & low beam? Probably you have assigned this to either fan or cabin lamp. Please post a picture of the back side of the switch assembly. I guess at least one of them should have 3 pins, and correspond to the dipper switch.

Last edited by ilangop : 3rd November 2011 at 12:07.
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:16   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Dude, the tell-tales look similar to the ones that came in Mahindar Jeeps CL540 / 550 somewhere in the 80s & 90s. You can carry them to a 4wheeler parts shop and confirm with them.

So, where is the switch for the high beam & low beam? Probably you have assigned this to either fan or cabin lamp. Please post a picture of the back side of the switch assembly. I guess at least one of them should have 3 pins, and correspond to the dipper switch.

Ilango, if possible let us both go there during this weekend to check on this beauty. I have seen her in person and its an interesting piece of work.
How does this Sunday work for you? Let me know.

Priyadarshan
Old 4th November 2011, 17:47   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, I will do so. Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Yes Ilangop you are right The Multi button Switch has a 3 Pin Button ( its the one with the Wiper Motor Picture) And it is the only button with 3 pins.

The High and Low beam has been assigned to one of the toggle Switchs.
The First Button on the Multi Button Switch which has 3 Pins and is used for the Wiper motor for Logical Sense (I mean Button having a Picture of Wiper motor corresponds to Wiper Motor).

Just Imagine - an unknown person is driving the PTV and its raining and so he Pushes the Wiper Motor Button and voila - The Head Lights go ON...

Maybe if the Toggle Switch gives Trouble then i will assign The First Button for the Lights. As of now the Toggle Switch is working fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks