Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2013, 11:05   #136
Senior - BHPian

Dear Dr Kannan,

Thank you for your kind comments. My name is Sonu & RAAB RAKHA means (god be your caretaker).
The headlights I have used are of FORCE MINIDOR (LTV), which comes is black so you'll need to get them chromed. But I'll suggest that you try YAMAHA RX 100 (Round) headlights. They are 99% identical but fitting them is bit tricky and once done you'll not be able to adjust beam.
I had aluminium meter hoods and one had small crack at bottom (on thinner side) so we used industrial glue and to hide our handy work, got them painted in body color. Yours are made of BAKELITE and very rare. Your garage guy should be able to piece them together with industrial glue (but not the HOT glue) but if not, then PLEASE never part with them. Just keep the meter hoods in as is condition.
Is the air filter arrangement identical to mine? Will try to source the air filter but cannot guarantee. I am still using the original one that came with my car.
You are most WELCOME to post pics and restoration process here, It'll be my honor.
Please do visit <www.ebay.it> and in search simply put FIAT 1100 103.

Raab Rakha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkannant View Post
Hi Raab, thats a very impressive restoration Rakha. especially the head lites alteration, by the way how did u get the meter covers done? in my car they are in pieces, dont know how to get them repaired. tell me how you got yours done. do you get new ones? the original ivory material not the aluminium stuff. is there any chances to sourse the air filter there in Mumbai. please let me know, i have just started my 1955 millecento restoration. will need your guidance in getting it restored.
Dear Rajeev,

Thank you. Yeah JSR was full, of dukkars and Heralds but they are now lying is EXTREMELY sorry state.
I have a another 56 dukkar with WBF registered.
You are welcome to see the car anytime. See yr PM for my mob number.

Raab rakha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
Hi Sonu
Have been following your thread since a long time and finally i get to post on it (since my membership was appproved in Oct 2012). Your car invokes a great amount of noestalgia..it is registered in my hometown - Jamshedpur / Tatanagar - the place where i spent the first 25 years of my life. In fact my dad still owns a Vespa 150 bought in 1963 and which shares the same BRT registration series. The car i learnt to drive in (my dads first car) was a Fiat Super Select 1100 - with a WBF registration. Sadly we sold this car about 15 years back. Every time i see a picture of your beautifully restored car, i am reminded of my growing up years at Jamshedpur! Appreciate the dedication shown by you in bringing this car all the way to Mumbai and restoring it to its glory. Would love to see your car in person and meet you too.

Last edited by n_aditya : 12th March 2013 at 13:15. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 12th March 2013, 13:53   #137
BHPian

Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Dear Dr Kannan,

Thank you for your kind comments. My name is Sonu & RAAB RAKHA means (god be your caretaker).
The headlights I have used are of FORCE MINIDOR (LTV), which comes is black so you'll need to get them chromed. But I'll suggest that you try YAMAHA RX 100 (Round) headlights. They are 99% identical but fitting them is bit tricky and once done you'll not be able to adjust beam.
I had aluminium meter hoods and one had small crack at bottom (on thinner side) so we used industrial glue and to hide our handy work, got them painted in body color. Yours are made of BAKELITE and very rare. Your garage guy should be able to piece them together with industrial glue (but not the HOT glue) but if not, then PLEASE never part with them. Just keep the meter hoods in as is condition.
Is the air filter arrangement identical to mine? Will try to source the air filter but cannot guarantee. I am still using the original one that came with my car.
You are most WELCOME to post pics and restoration process here, It'll be my honor.
Please do visit <www.ebay.it> and in search simply put FIAT 1100 103.

Raab Rakha.
Hi Sonu,

Thanks a lot for your feedback, will try out both the minidooor and rx 100 head lites. will surely hold on to the meter covers and will see what i can do to fix it up,
I did try out ebay.it found lots of parts on it but don't know how to get it over to India...will try to pull some strings to find out anybody visiting Italy.

My car is in the Tinkering stage, will post pics soon and need your valuable advice .

Thanks once again for allowing me to post restoration pictures in your thread, as there is lots like minded people following your thread, so will get lots inputs that would be helpful in my restoration.
Cheers.

Dr.Kannan
Attached Thumbnails
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_1735.jpg  

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_1740.jpg  

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_1743.jpg  

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_1751.jpg  

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_1788.jpg  

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_1781.jpg  

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_1785.jpg  

Old 12th March 2013, 15:30   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Rajeev,

Thank you. Yeah JSR was full, of dukkars and Heralds but they are now lying is EXTREMELY sorry state.
I have a another 56 dukkar with WBF registered.
You are welcome to see the car anytime. See yr PM for my mob number.

Raab rakha.
Hi Sonu

Thanks for your reply. I am unable to view PMs as i think the PM facility has not yet been activated for me (being a newbie). The Fiat Super Select owned by my dad in Jamshedpur was WBF 1694. It would be a super coincidence if you have purchased this! Also any idea of how to contact a fellow BHPian in case PM facility has not been activated??

Rajeev
Old 12th March 2013, 15:49   #139
BHPian

Dr kannan ,

Do you have the original headlight internals which are adjustable and also the rings , on my car i used the suzuki samurai headlight dooms(made by fiem) and clipped it directly on to the headlight rings (like in the bikes) .some pics are here .

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...delivered.html

your car seems to be fairly original with most of the bits in place .and with so many good sheet metal workers and the reputation Coimbatore has got with building cars i am sure you will transform the car to a beauty .

Sonu , Isnt the RX100 lights much smaller ??, maybe they fit into the original clusters with the adjustment .

Prashanth
Voyager is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 01:21   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Dr kannan ,

Do you have the original headlight internals which are adjustable and also the rings , on my car i used the suzuki samurai headlight dooms(made by fiem) and clipped it directly on to the headlight rings (like in the bikes) .some pics are here .

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...delivered.html

your car seems to be fairly original with most of the bits in place .and with so many good sheet metal workers and the reputation Coimbatore has got with building cars i am sure you will transform the car to a beauty .

Sonu , Isnt the RX100 lights much smaller ??, maybe they fit into the original clusters with the adjustment .

Prashanth
Hi Prashanth, thanks for your valuable feedback, i really need them as my car is in the tinkering stage, got to correct the headlight console, the indicator console, need to blank the dashboard amp opening etc.
My real concern and anxiety is of the head light correction, because got to correct it without the original headlights...fingers crossed hope it comes out fine.
Will post pictures of tinkering once i take them.
Will try out all three head lights, the rx100, minidor & the samurai headlights .will let you know soon.
Old 13th March 2013, 11:13   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sonu,
Thanks a lot for your feedback, will try out both the minidooor and rx 100 head lites. will surely hold on to the meter covers and will see what i can do to fix it up, Dr.Kannan
Dr Kannan, Your car is simply beautiful and much original parts are intact. I would give world to have that ivory colored steering wheel for my car. I'll suggest that you keep each and every part of car very carefully. The amp meter hole can be closed but I suggest that you keep amp meter fitted somewhere under the dash. I had some battery issues and realized that its better to have one installed. Somewhere hidden from direct view and there is ample space for same behind the dash.
The side patties are NOT original. Check if you can get them there, else I'll get them for you.
Am not very sure of the side indicators too.
Waiting for WIP pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
Hi Sonu
Thanks for your reply. I am unable to view PMs as i think the PM facility has not yet been activated for me (being a newbie).
Rajeev
Yr PM facility is yet???????

Quote:
Dr kannan ,
Do you have the original headlight internals which are adjustable and also the rings , on my car i used the suzuki samurai headlight dooms(made by fiem) and clipped it directly on to the headlight rings (like in the bikes). some pics are here. your car seems to be fairly original with most of the bits in place .and with so many good sheet metal workers and the reputation Coimbatore has got with building cars i am sure you will transform the car to a beauty .
Prashanth
Dear Prashanth, The resto work on your car is awesome. I specially like the insulation work done on floor. On the last page you have posted pics of headlight rings. They look like the original design, are they?
Yeah the RX100 lights are tad smaller than original but look very nice when fitted. I have tried them using some carpenter tape and they looked much better than MINIDOR. Since I have fitted MINIDOR lights, there are some unwanted holes. I'll need to do some tinkering work and paint job to get these fitted. I'll post pic of my RX100 experiment and let you guys decide.

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 13th March 2013 at 11:17.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 11:31   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The side patties are NOT original. Check if you can get them there, else I'll get them for you.
Sonu,

I am missing one front right side patti from the day one, can you help me in that.

As for the side repeaters, they should not be there.
Old 13th March 2013, 12:24   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Sonu,
I am missing one front right side patti from the day one, can you help me in that
As for the side repeaters, they should not be there.
Dear Manish,
I don't think you can just one length but will have to buy the whole set which, as on date, retails at Rs 2200 with pouch of clips. In fact I also have a complete aluminium set but of ONE side only.
Check BROWNIE's latest pics (www.ariesonu.tumblr.com) for the steel patties that I got. I had bought them for Rs 1800 last year.
I was not sure about side indicators as there were many small changes within 1956 models of Millecento's. Karl will be the best person to comment.

Raab rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 13th March 2013 at 12:25.
Old 13th March 2013, 14:08   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Manish,
I don't think you can just one length but will have to buy the whole set which, as on date, retails at Rs 2200 with pouch of clips. In fact I also have a complete aluminium set but of ONE side only.
Check BROWNIE's latest pics (www.ariesonu.tumblr.com) for the steel patties that I got. I had bought them for Rs 1800 last year.
I was not sure about side indicators as there were many small changes within 1956 models of Millecento's. Karl will be the best person to comment.

Raab rakha.
Hi ,

Do you have the millicento aluminium side pattis ?? i managed a set of the steel ones and that is what is on the car .

The headlight rings on my car is the original aluminium ones ,in fact i managed to get a set of completely beaten up condition headlight casquettes which fit with 3 bolts inside the mudguard , but it was after the car had been painted and hence had to keep it for later .My car is still WIP as i have torn down most of the wiring and putting it back with proper clips and connectors and not the shitty joints and taping up .progress is slow and it will take a bit for me to get the car completely sorted out..

Prashanth
Old 14th March 2013, 00:12   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Dr Kannan, Your car is simply beautiful and much original parts are intact. I would give world to have that ivory colored steering wheel for my car. I'll suggest that you keep each and every part of car very carefully. The amp meter hole can be closed but I suggest that you keep amp meter fitted somewhere under the dash. I had some battery issues and realized that its better to have one installed. Somewhere hidden from direct view and there is ample space for same behind the dash.
Waiting for WIP pics.
Hi Sonu,
Thanks for your appreciation, u bet I am not going to let go even a bolt that came with the car. But i am not sure how to correct the broken or cracked areas on the steering wheel , any advice how i can get them done
Yeah sonu i know the side patttis are not original, i will get rid of them got a set chromed pattis here in Coimbatore but looks like i paid lot more (Rs.3500) but without the clips, can i have the clips please If the pattis are of aluminium then i will take the whole set along with the clips. please let me know.
Regarding about the amp meter, even i was thinking of fixing it in a concealed area. Mr. Rony also advised me to blank them and i will do that. I am blanking the side indicators , they don't come in 1955 model.
I have posted some WIP pictures, all fiat lovers advice and help me in procuring some spares that i need. Thank you guys.)
Attached Thumbnails
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_0010.jpg  

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_0019.jpg  

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_0024.jpg  

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-6.jpg  

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_0032.jpg  

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_0034.jpg  

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_0038.jpg  

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_0046.jpg  

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_0047.jpg  

Old 14th March 2013, 09:38   #146
BHPian

Hi Doc ,

That is pretty much a neat car with no corrosion or the body lines not damaged ..my sugession is as soon as you have finished scraping the car please spray a coat of Zinc oxide (yellow primer) to prevent superficial rust ,before it goes for tinkering .

the steering cracks can be easily fixed with filler and repainted .the steering wheel and the horn button are very hard to find .

For the side pattis i used a home made way of fitting it as the clips keep coming off /easily prone to thieves .I brought washers little broader than the breadth of the pattis,slightly filed two sides of the outside to make it semi sqarish so that it would slide into the patti with a small counter head screw in it ,from the inside of the door/mudguard /dickey i pust in an other washer and nut to fasten it , the beedings are snug fit and not easily removable. i can send you pics if required .

Prashanth
Old 14th March 2013, 11:03   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi ,
1) Do you have the millicento aluminium side pattis ?? i managed a set of the steel ones and that is what is on the car .

2) the steering cracks can be easily fixed with filler and repainted .the steering wheel and the horn button are very hard to find .
For the side pattis i used a home made way of fitting it as the clips keep coming off /easily prone to thieves .I brought washers little broader than the breadth of the pattis,slightly filed two sides of the outside to make it semi sqarish so that it would slide into the patti with a small counter head screw in it ,from the inside of the door/mudguard /dickey i pust in an other washer and nut to fasten it , the beedings are snug fit and not easily removable. i can send you pics if required .
Prashanth
Hi Prashanth,
Yes I have ORIGINAL aluminium beeding but alas of one side only.
I have done the washer thing on ends of each patti but the back end areas of FRONT beeding were difficult to access from inside the car side panel. Same goes for dicky side patti too. Some pics of these, difficult to reach, areas will help us.

Quote:
Hi Sonu,
But i am not sure how to correct the broken or cracked areas on the steering wheel , any advice how i can get them done
Can i have the clips please If the pattis are of aluminium then i will take the whole set along with the clips. please let me know.
Regarding about the amp meter, even i was thinking of fixing it in a concealed area. Mr. Rony also advised me to blank them and i will do that. I am blanking the side indicators , they don't come in 1955 model.
Dear Dr. Kannan,
If you see my car's steering, you'll feel pity for me but I feel very nostalgic about it as its the only part of the car which is 100% original (i.e. without any touch of restoration/tampering). One guru advised me to use M-SEAL but I am still two minds about it and is on lookout for a NEAT steering. Ivory colored, if possible but then wishes are horses.
The yellow horn button is also rare so will advise you to get it removed and keep safe. You can open the whole horn button and clean it with mild soap etc and fix it back later. See my resto page and you'll get the idea.

Your car is very neat. I can get the clips for you but I also agree with idea presented by Prashanth. I have done similar thing for areas of side patties where I could reach easily. However if you insist, I'll send a packet of clips. Its usually 5-7 clips per patti. PM me your phone number.
Aluminium patties are RARER than dinosaurs now & few months back one "MALLU BHAI" here in Mumbai asked 15K to fabricate them.
Are you going to keep that parcel tray under the dash?
The tyre RIMS are not original.

Raab rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 14th March 2013 at 11:07. Reason: RIMS
Old 15th March 2013, 00:23   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Prashanth,
Yes I have ORIGINAL aluminium beeding but alas of one side only.
I have done the washer thing on ends of each patti but the back end areas of FRONT beeding were difficult to access from inside the car side panel. Same goes for dicky side patti too. Some pics of these, difficult to reach, areas will help us.

Dear Dr. Kannan,
If you see my car's steering, you'll feel pity for me but I feel very nostalgic about it as its the only part of the car which is 100% original (i.e. without any touch of restoration/tampering). One guru advised me to use M-SEAL but I am still two minds about it and is on lookout for a NEAT steering. Ivory colored, if possible but then wishes are horses.
The yellow horn button is also rare so will advise you to get it removed and keep safe. You can open the whole horn button and clean it with mild soap etc and fix it back later. See my resto page and you'll get the idea.

Your car is very neat. I can get the clips for you but I also agree with idea presented by Prashanth. I have done similar thing for areas of side patties where I could reach easily. However if you insist, I'll send a packet of clips. Its usually 5-7 clips per patti. PM me your phone number.
Aluminium patties are RARER than dinosaurs now & few months back one "MALLU BHAI" here in Mumbai asked 15K to fabricate them.
Are you going to keep that parcel tray under the dash?
The tyre RIMS are not original.

Raab rakha.

Hi Sonu, i did see your steering, thats why i asked you about ideas of repairing it, I was also told by my Tinker that we can use M SEAL to repair it.
About the clips please send me a packet if that should be enough for all the eight pattis. My Mobile number is 09994078668.

No, I will be removing the tray and i have already procured 4 rims but I was told by Mr. Rony that 1955 rims do not have vents. I have got the ones with rectangle vents around. Paid about 2000 a piece. Check the attached photo.
I have removed the yellow horn button and steering wheel. will have to get it cleaned and serviced. i dont want to open it myself and mess it up. Also please look out if you can get me the boot lock, dash board push pull knobs.

Did you see the paint removal work pictures? Need your expertise on the quality of work. Thank you.

Hi Prashanth, please post the pictures of how to fix the pattis with out the clips. To Both you And Mr. Sonu I need the rims clips to hold the hubcaps. Let me know if you can help me in getting them. Thanks

Last edited by karlosdeville : 15th March 2013 at 09:29. Reason: Consecutive posts and punctuation
Old 15th March 2013, 12:49   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mr. Rony that 1955 rims do not have vents. I have got the ones with rectangle vents around. Paid about 2000 a piece. Check the attached photo. ???? Also please look out if you can get me the boot lock, dash board push pull knobs. Did you see the paint removal work pictures? Need your expertise on the quality of work. Sonu I need the rims clips to hold the hubcaps. Let me know if you can help me in getting them. Thanks
Rony is a gem and has always guided us well. We don't call him PRESIDENT for no reason.
Your RIMS photos not found.
I am no guru on paint work but whatever I see and from my little experience looks good. There is usually some water wash also given to cars to get rid of smallest fragment of paints. I may be wrong but I think its caustic soda wash. GURUS, pls help.
Do you have HUBCAPS??? WOOOOW. PLEASE do post pics of them.
I know a place to get the hubcap clips but I have no idea about the price. I'll check and send you a text msg.

Raab rakha.
P.S.: Pls just address me as Sonu, Mr. Sonu sounds formal
Old 15th March 2013, 14:05   #150
BHPian

Please keep caustic soda off the car ,helps big time in the long run , caustic soda is the cheaper and easier way of getting rid of paint , but since caustic soda leaves a small residue and also reacts with metal post paint you may see bubbles popping up or the metal rusting from the inside .

The current method of paint remover is perfect is my opinion and the guys seem to be doing a decent job .

Doc please do get all the door hinges and door setting done now itself to prevent any rattling and roughness in the door locks so post paint it will be a straight fit

Prashanth

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks