Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2011, 12:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

After almost an year of speculations & delays my 1956 Millecento, fondly known as "BROWNIE" restoration went on the floor on 28th Oct. 2011.
BROWNIE was brought to this well known garage at Reay Road (Mumbai) on 14th October 2011 but due to other bigger jobs on the floor the resto could only begin on 28th Oct. Unfortnately I was out of town on the eventful day.

For the ones who are here for the first time: BROWNIE on her way to Mumbai.
Name:  Brownie 3.JPG
Views: 12015
Size:  121.2 KB Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-brownie-2.jpg

The day she was shifted to garage:
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-13102011155.jpg Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-13102011154.jpg

By the time I returned & set my eys on her, she had been stripped & floor panel work had begin.
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dscf0116.jpg
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-03112011227.jpg
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-03112011234.jpg
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-03112011233.jpg
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-03112011235.jpg
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-03112011236.jpg

The starter motor was not orginal & so I called freindly Karl & he informed me that the original starter motor is quite hard to find these days & may cost a bomb. Probably the angels were watching over BROWNIE and we found not one but two original starter motors. Cost 10K for one motor.
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-03112011229.jpg
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-03112011230.jpg

The powerhouse is removed & awaits the GOOD mechanic to return & start the work:
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dscf0117.jpg
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dscf0118.jpg

I'm told that BROWNIE has most of the HARD-TO-FIND original parts like radiator, original aluminium brakes, etc.

My camera batteries ditched me at last moment & these few pics are taken by my phone cam.

REQUEST: To all Fiat Gurus, Pls pour your hearts out & guide me on my first resto project.

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 29th November 2011 at 15:59. Reason: Removing costing/estimate on request
ariesonu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 12:46   #2
BHPian

Re: "BROWNIE", A 1956 Millecento restoration

Hello,

I cant comment on the costs but wish you all the best for your first restoration. May the angels look over your restoration and help you wherever you get stuck (just like they did with starter motors )..

Will be hooked into this thread..

Priyadarshan
Old 4th November 2011, 13:04   #3
BHPian

Hello Sonu Bhai,

All the best for the first resto project and I with you on the same lines. Please let me know if you need any help from Bangalore. Have you decided on the colour since the name 'BROWNIE'

Rock

Regards,
Saleem
Old 4th November 2011, 13:44   #4
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Awesome!!!

After long, we get to see a restoration thread of a FIAT.

In case you need a original steering with original horn button for this model of FIAT, its available with Mubarak Meter Works, Shivajinagar, Bangalore.
Old 4th November 2011, 14:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Priyadarshan, thanks Saleem.

I'm still lost at sea about colour. Will discus with Fiat Gurus & decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
Awesome!!!
After long, we get to see a restoration thread of a FIAT.
In case you need a original steering with original horn button for this model of FIAT, its available with Mubarak Meter Works, Shivajinagar, Bangalore.
Can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pick it for me. (Didn't I say the angels are watching over my BROWNIE)

I'm also on look out for following parts & will appreciate all leads & help possible from fellow Fiatians.

# Carburator (The one fitted is reapired with M-Seal) ITS ORIGINAL
# Original Steering with Horn button
# Horn
# Speedometer (Got one but the mechanicals are faulty)
# Front Indicators
# Window winders
# Side (aluminium) pattis for RIGHT side. & ONLY last length (TRUNK) on left side.

I have sent a PM to you too.

Raab Rakha,
Sonu

Last edited by ariesonu : 4th November 2011 at 14:35.
Old 4th November 2011, 14:51   #6
BHPian

It's very nice to see people not willing to let go of their old cars, the vintage scene is slowly & steadily becoming very popular in India. Good job mate & will eagerly await to see the end result.
Old 4th November 2011, 16:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: BROWNIE - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Nice to see Brownie after a long time. Am glad that its being restored, finally. Well i certainly can't comment on the cost but please throw some light on what is "New headlight opening & fitting charges" . I am a bit about this.
Anyways all the best for the restoration and keep us updated with all the latest happening on Brownie
Old 4th November 2011, 17:52   #8
BHPian

Hey !!! Nice to hear that another Fiat is on the way to its former Glory. It would be nice to see the Actual Costs of Restoration as the Restoration progress as it may vary than the initial Estimated.

What is this - Door opening & fitting, Door Lock with labour charges: 5,000/-
This should have been logically included in the Tin work Estimate ie All body finishing & labour charge with Materials: 60,000/. and its their duty to remove and align the doors during tinwork if thats what they meant. Even if they are charging it as a separate entity 5000 for the Job is ridiculus.

Engine overhauling all mechanical labour charges: 15,000/- Please ask what is meant by all mechanical 15000 just for Labour on overhauling a Fiat engine is also high.
Hope Experts agree.

Good Luck.

Shreeram

Last edited by Shreeram : 4th November 2011 at 17:59.
Old 4th November 2011, 19:09   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Sonu,

Good to see your "Brownie"'s resto thread at last! Looking at the 'before' pics., it seemed like a really neat car, considering that it was a 1-family owned car. But sadly neglected by the previous owners who apparently left it at the garage you said you found it lying in!

One suggestion though- the horn button on your car appears to be the original one. Get it OFF ASAP and refit only after the resto is completed. Better if you even replace the steering wheel with some 'temporary' one in the meantime. These guys will be moving the car around frequently and so will be touching the wheel/button with oil/paint-stained hands and smude them up with marks! They usually dont even bother to mask these parts while painting and these will end up being sprayed over here & there!
Old 4th November 2011, 19:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
"New headlight opening & fitting charges" . I am a bit about this.
Anyways all the best for the restoration and keep us updated with all the latest happening on Brownie
Hey buddy, where have you been??? Nice & thanks to hear from you.
The headlights were altered to bigger size & now we are trying to get it back to ORIGINAL size, which is rather smaller than the one's you see on my car. JAWA bike's lights match the size till I can arrange ORIGINALS which are almost impossible to find in today's times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
What is this - Door opening & fitting, Door Lock with labour charges: 5,000/-
This should have been logically included in the Tin work Estimate ie All body finishing & labour charge with Materials: 60,000/. and its their duty to remove and align the doors during tinwork if thats what they meant. Even if they are charging it as a separate entity 5000 for the Job is ridiculus.

Engine overhauling all mechanical labour charges: 15,000/- Please ask what is meant by all mechanical 15000 just for Labour on overhauling a Fiat engine is also high.
Hope Experts agree.
Shreeram
That was the reason I had put the costs here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Hey Sonu,
Good to see your "Brownie"'s resto thread at last! Looking at the 'before' pics., it seemed like a really neat car, considering that it was a 1-family owned car. But sadly neglected by the previous owners who apparently left it at the garage you said you found it lying in!

-the horn button on your car appears to be the original one. Get it OFF ASAP and refit only after the resto is completed.
Thanks Shyam. For horn button, I'll do as instructed.
I also need to get that original aluminium brake fluid reservoir removed & saved.

Raab Rakha.
Old 4th November 2011, 23:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Brownie's looking so cute !!

Good luck with the resto dear Sonu, may the angels keep watching over brownie and the proud owner.

I'm glued to your thread !!
Old 5th November 2011, 10:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for clearing my confusion Sonu bhai. So 12k is for reshaping the headlight wells, good that its been considered. I hope you are getting the slot fabricated to accommodate the music system on dash, covered.

@shyam: It seems you have very keen eyes as i am still unable to find out whether its the original yellow Fiat horn button or not.
Old 5th November 2011, 19:29   #13
BHPian

Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Am keenly following this thread. Love it when people pursue restoration projects of such memorable cars. Hope to see alot more photos and updates on a regular basis.
pranava999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 17:39   #14
BHPian

Hey, kudos for restoring this beauty. Lookin' forward to more pics!

Was the car found with the factory color on or had it been resprayed in another color? Anyway, the same color should look good on 'Brownie'. Also, I hope you entertain us to a 'Review' if you don't mind.
Old 8th November 2011, 12:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
Hey, kudos for restoring this beauty. Lookin' forward to more pics!
Was the car found with the factory color on or had it been resprayed in another color? Anyway, the same color should look good on 'Brownie'. Also, I hope you entertain us to a 'Review' if you don't mind.
Yes, the brown color you see is ORIGINAL. I had some funny ideas about color but same changed after our FCCCI meet on last sunday. Now she'll be painted in her ORIGINAL brown itself.

Please be as critical as you can be in your reviews & suggestions.

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks