Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2012, 11:42   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathurvipul View Post
I need the rubber which holds the glass and the aluminium channel. The tail lamps are original aluminium ones. Monograms most welcome.
Hi Vipul,

Nice work.
OMG that seat covers are AWESOME & ORIGINAL. If I were you, I would get them cleaned & get that transparent sheet work done over them to protect the material.
Nothing comes closer to this original. I'm right FIAT gurus?
That NET & ASHTRY behind the front seat are also very sort after trims.

That FELT coated channel rubber for window glasses should be very easily available from any shop selling FIAT items.
Shyam & Manish have already helped you with some of the most DIFFULT-TO-FIND parts. These guys dont stop to amaze me.

Now for remaining:
side beading - ME ALSO LOOKING FOR SAME
beading which comes under the front and back glass - I HAVE A SET BUT ALREADY PROMISED TO ONE TBHPIAN
rear view mirror - HARD TO FIND
back seat clip which is fixed on the rear shelf (the seat guy misplaced it) - ???
parking light glass - EVEN MINE ARE TAD BIGGER THEN THEIR HOLDERS
tail lamp glass - I CAN GET THESE FOR YOU.
inside rubber carpet and all mats - SHOULD GET IT EASILY. LOOK FOR THAKKAR BRAND.
wheel caps - IF YOU FIND THEM THEN DO LET THE WHOLE FIAT COMMUNITY KNOW.
white wall tyres - IF YOU FIND THEM THEN DO LET THE WHOLE FIAT COMMUNITY KNOW.

Raab rakha.
P.S. I'm out of country but returning by next 2nd week of June.
Old 30th May 2012, 18:56   #107
Senior - BHPian

Vipul,

If you go to Mubarak meter works, you will find tail light lens, 2 wheel caps, rear view mirror with light and much more stuff. But be prepared to moon high prices. Me and sonu nearly had a heartattack after listening the price of tail light.

Just don't show too much of interest and probably you will get them a tad cheaper
Old 30th May 2012, 20:27   #108
Senior - BHPian

Vipul great restoration indeed, the paint work seems flawless, even the interior coating in done professionally. Just a question, did you got the whole floor boards replaced?
Also whats the history of this car, i am eager to know as its a UP registered one.
Old 31st May 2012, 18:52   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Hi Vipul,

Nice work.
OMG that seat covers are AWESOME & ORIGINAL. If I were you, I would get them cleaned & get that transparent sheet work done over them to protect the material.
Nothing comes closer to this original. I'm right FIAT gurus?
That NET & ASHTRY behind the front seat are also very sort after trims.

That FELT coated channel rubber for window glasses should be very easily available from any shop selling FIAT items.
Shyam & Manish have already helped you with some of the most DIFFULT-TO-FIND parts. These guys dont stop to amaze me.

Now for remaining:
side beading - ME ALSO LOOKING FOR SAME
beading which comes under the front and back glass - I HAVE A SET BUT ALREADY PROMISED TO ONE TBHPIAN
rear view mirror - HARD TO FIND
back seat clip which is fixed on the rear shelf (the seat guy misplaced it) - ???
parking light glass - EVEN MINE ARE TAD BIGGER THEN THEIR HOLDERS
tail lamp glass - I CAN GET THESE FOR YOU.
inside rubber carpet and all mats - SHOULD GET IT EASILY. LOOK FOR THAKKAR BRAND.
wheel caps - IF YOU FIND THEM THEN DO LET THE WHOLE FIAT COMMUNITY KNOW.
white wall tyres - IF YOU FIND THEM THEN DO LET THE WHOLE FIAT COMMUNITY KNOW.

Raab rakha.
P.S. I'm out of country but returning by next 2nd week of June.
Thanks so much for the reply. I also felt like retaining the seat covers as is. The challenge is on the front seat. the edges which touch the metal frame are cut and some of the springs need adjustment. will still try to save the originals.

I was told that the felt coated window channel in select is narrower that the one on padmini. is it right.

still hunting for the side beading and wheel caps.

regret i was a bit late for the beading which comes under the front and back glass, will still stand in a Q with hope (greedy isn't it)

one of the tyre dealers told me that if we give a minimum order commitment to MRF for the white wall tyres, they may produce them. Have written a mail to them through their website but no response yet.

Can you let me know where to source the tail lamp glass.

regards.

vipul
Old 31st May 2012, 20:01   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The challenge is on the front seat. the edges which touch the metal frame are cut and some of the springs need adjustment. will still try to save the originals.

regret i was a bit late for the beading which comes under the front and back glass, will still stand in a Q with hope (greedy isn't it)

one of the tyre dealers told me that if we give a minimum order commitment to MRF for the white wall tyres, they may produce them. Have written a mail to them through their website but no response yet.

regards.

vipul
OK, in that case get that material removed as safely as possible.

I dont promise but will see what I can do for those windshield beadings.

I'll be back in Mumbai by next weekend and will get you that felt coated channel rubber. It comes in a roll & you get it in metres so let me know how much do you need.

I'll get you tail lamps as promised.
I presume this is the design of your tail lamp lens:
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dscf1807.jpg

For white wall tyres, no comments.

Raab rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 31st May 2012 at 20:02.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 20:11   #111
BHPian

Quote:

I'll be back in Mumbai by next weekend and will get you that felt coated channel rubber. It comes in a roll & you get it in metres so let me know how much do you need.

Attachment 934676

Raab rakha.
Hey thanks. Unfortunately my tail lamps are of the model after that.
Old 31st May 2012, 21:24   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks so much for the reply. I also felt like retaining the seat covers as is. The challenge is on the front seat. the edges which touch the metal frame are cut and some of the springs need adjustment. will still try to save the originals.

I was told that the felt coated window channel in select is narrower that the one on padmini. is it right.

still hunting for the side beading and wheel caps.

regards.

vipul

Vipul,

Any this you discard of the seat cloting, please do not throw, I am in que for what ever you throw. By the way where are you getting your upholstry from, I need the exactly same matrial as in your seats.

As for the wheel caps - go to mubarak meter works, you will find them there.

And sonu I think the one that comes on your car is also there but one or two.

Also I think vipul you are talking of steel trims that come below the windshields in "Selects". I have one lying with my friend, He got it for me. Need to take it from him. Another one is lying with me now but has bit of dinks.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 22:53   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Vipul,

Any this you discard of the seat cloting, please do not throw, I am in que for what ever you throw. By the way where are you getting your upholstry from, I need the exactly same matrial as in your seats.

Also I think vipul you are talking of steel trims that come below the windshields in "Selects". I have one lying with my friend, He got it for me. Need to take it from him. Another one is lying with me now but has bit of dinks.
Thanks Manish. The upholstery is done by a guy called Santosh. Had handed over the seats to him. I just hope that he has not removed the covers yet. will try and save them for you if he has not damaged them.

I have not been able to go to Mubarak but was told that he is asking for 1500/- the wheel caps. is that a good price.

It would be nice if i can get the beading. Actually I need only the front beading which was missing when I got the car. Does the front beading comes in 3 pieces. How do I pick it from you.

Regards.

Vipul

Quote:

Attachment 934676

Raab rakha.
Thanks. will bother you next week for the felt coated channel rubber.

regards.
vipul

Last edited by karlosdeville : 1st June 2012 at 10:34. Reason: Consectuive posts
Old 1st June 2012, 13:39   #114
Senior - BHPian

@Vipul: My beadings lie with Tbhpina Jay in chennai, he bought for me more than a year ago, did not picked it from him since then. Yes the front ones come in 3 pieces. I will get the beadings from Jay, will let you know once I have them (I do not remember how many he has).

Secondly please add 5 whitewalls tyres for me too. As for the pricing at Mubarak meter works, no comments. We got 3 original ones for 800 bucks 2 year ago, same year a set of 4 repro ones was purchased by me for 1400 bucks.

I got a fuel level sender unit for 1700 bucks last year now it is 3000, you decide on you own. I have told you of the source .

@Sonu: That is not the lens he is looking for. He is looking for this

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-1.jpg

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc04834.jpg

Last edited by manishalive : 1st June 2012 at 13:46.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2012, 11:26   #115
Senior - BHPian

Thanx Manish, I jumped the guns with lens.
I should have gone one page back & seen the car again.
This type of lens is rarer than that of Millecento. I rememeber Karl asking for similar lens sometime back, when we had met for a rally.
Even the silver cowl over these lights are slightly shorter than the ones we seen on present taxi cars.

Raab rakha.
Old 4th June 2012, 14:43   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Vipul,

Dear Manish,

I met the seat guy yesterday. Some of the seat covers can be saved. The front seat covering is damaged at the edges and a small poke of one of the springs is also visible. The other 3 seem to be ok. Have told him to carefully remove them for a re use. Once removed it can be all yours.

Vipul
Old 18th June 2012, 13:45   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Manish,

I met the seat guy yesterday. Some of the seat covers can be saved. The front seat covering is damaged at the edges and a small poke of one of the springs is also visible. The other 3 seem to be ok. Have told him to carefully remove them for a re use. Once removed it can be all yours.

Vipul
Here is the update on my car

Finally got the car home for the electrical and fittings. Seats arrived (Manish- the old covers have been preserved for you). The electrician finds it more comfortable to do fresh wiring, hence he opened the old one to build similar wiring with new wires.

Once the wiring is done we will fix the roof. I am looking for the roofing material which was used earlier on fiat / amby roofs but not getting it. not too happy putting the leatherette roof.

Prashanth helped to source the front and rear glass rubber, which came as a big relief. chrome parts are all ready to go up. will fit the same old parking and tail light glass till I get a similar looking new one. Side beading is still not in picture. Contribution of Rear monogram came from Shyam.

MRF has promised the 5.20 - R 14 tyres, hoping to get them this week.

generally excited to put the beauty back on road soon.

posting some pictures for a look.

regards.

Vipul
Attached Thumbnails
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-img00381201206091200.jpg  

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-img00383201206091412.jpg  

Old 18th June 2012, 14:02   #118
BHPian

Vipul the car looks good and the paint job has been done well .

Side beedings -Who knows Lady Luck may smile on us from some part of the world !! lets see ,The ali ones for the 54 millecento seems UN-obtainable but the steel ones for you car seem to be around .Only talk haven't seen anything yet from anybody ...

As far as the wiring goes do tell the electricion to use clips and connectors for everything and no joints ,they tend to usueally use no junction boxes and tape up everything messing it up ..

Prashanth
Voyager is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 14:39   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the update on my car
Finally got the car home for the electrical and fittings. Seats arrived (Manish- the old covers have been preserved for you). The electrician finds it more comfortable to do fresh wiring, hence he opened the old one to build similar wiring with new wires.
Vipul, Your car looks classy. I liked the color combo & it reminds me of my school uniform. Well, once an electrician at my place came forward to rewire my dad's PP (way back in 1994). After the tinkering, painting & rewiring dad was happily driving till one day the indicators werent working. Narrowing down the problem to the combi switch, I opened the combi switch cover. As soon as I saw that the OE connectors & clips were all cut & replaced with domestic wiring connectors I was annoyed and all the bad words I knew rushed out of my mouth. Then I checked the tail lamps & engine bay also. The Fuse box was bye-passed. Every place the OE connectors were cut & replaced with the domestic wiring connectors & I wanted to the electrician. In the end, the car had a clumsy wiring & without any fuses, wiper didnt retun to home (Had to turn the switch while the blade is at home).
So please have a detailed discussion with your electrician over the rewiring process / procedure. If at all you see electricals in place, just leave it as it is.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 15:01   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Manish,

Vipul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Vipul the car looks good and the paint job has been done well .

Side beedings -Who knows Lady Luck may smile on us from some part of the world !! lets see ,The ali ones for the 54 millecento seems UN-obtainable but the steel ones for you car seem to be around .Only talk haven't seen anything yet from anybody ...

As far as the wiring goes do tell the electricion to use clips and connectors for everything and no joints ,they tend to usueally use no junction boxes and tape up everything messing it up ..

Prashanth
Thanks for the suggestion. Electrician who is doing the job had worked on my padmini many years back, hence hopefull that he will be able to handle the job. just praying that it all comes out well.

Vipul

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks