Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2012, 15:04   #121
BHPian

Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Vipul, Your car looks classy. I liked the color combo & it reminds me of my school uniform. Well, once an electrician at my place came forward to rewire my dad's PP (way back in 1994). After the tinkering, painting & rewiring dad was happily driving till one day the indicators werent working. Narrowing down the problem to the combi switch, I opened the combi switch cover. As soon as I saw that the OE connectors & clips were all cut & replaced with domestic wiring connectors I was annoyed and all the bad words I knew rushed out of my mouth. Then I checked the tail lamps & engine bay also. The Fuse box was bye-passed. Every place the OE connectors were cut & replaced with the domestic wiring connectors & I wanted to the electrician. In the end, the car had a clumsy wiring & without any fuses, wiper didnt retun to home (Had to turn the switch while the blade is at home).
So please have a detailed discussion with your electrician over the rewiring process / procedure. If at all you see electricals in place, just leave it as it is.
Thanks Ilango,

Will be careful. Material and quality check was also one of the reasons why I wanted to get it done at home where I could see whats happening. Thanks for the advice, guess I will have to be more attentive.

will keep the group posted on the development.

Vipul
Old 19th June 2012, 15:39   #122
Senior - BHPian

vipul,

Thanks for the kind gesture. Where did you got the new upholstry material from. How does it looks like. May I too want that.

ALso I pmed you my number, give me yours we can speak.

As for the wiring do you have the original pin type push pull connectors. All my electrical components have the same style of connectiors and I was lucky to get the original style wiring with pin type end connectos from Jadsons.

If you want to make similar wiring, the color code for the wiring is given in the wiring diagram posted by "Karlos" in the Fiat technical Information thread. As for the connectors they can be had in a two wheeler spares shop, as these were popular in bikes, scooters and mopeds too.

All you nee will be solder these connectors to the wiring. After that do a resistance check, it should be around 0.5 ohms. Here I put pictures of what I am talking about.

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-veglia.jpg

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-neu8.jpg
Old 19th June 2012, 16:31   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
vipul,

Thanks for the kind gesture. Where did you got the new upholstry material from. How does it looks like. May I too want that.

ALso I pmed you my number, give me yours we can speak.

As for the wiring do you have the original pin type push pull connectors. All my electrical components have the same style of connectiors and I was lucky to get the original style wiring with pin type end connectos from Jadsons.

If you want to make similar wiring, the color code for the wiring is given in the wiring diagram posted by "Karlos" in the Fiat technical Information thread. As for the connectors they can be had in a two wheeler spares shop, as these were popular in bikes, scooters and mopeds too.

All you nee will be solder these connectors to the wiring. After that do a resistance check, it should be around 0.5 ohms. Here I put pictures of what I am talking about.

Attachment 943438

Attachment 943439
Manish bhai is it fine & safe to use the pin from a couple of decades old NOS Fiat wiring loom. I have one from the Delight era which my father bought for our '69 delight but it was never used. Now i need some pins for light fittings and was wondering if i can use the same.
Do let me know if this can be done.

Last edited by samsag12 : 19th June 2012 at 16:32.
Old 20th June 2012, 02:19   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Manish bhai is it fine & safe to use the pin from a couple of decades old NOS Fiat wiring loom. I have one from the Delight era which my father bought for our '69 delight but it was never used. Now i need some pins for light fittings and was wondering if i can use the same.

I suppose any old wiring loom can be used if the insulation is in good shape .Some old wiring looms had cloth insulation which would have deteriorated by now and would be unsafe, any PVC insulation should be good to use .
The connectors can be found easily at any two wheeler spares shop or any electronics shop (SP road in Bangalore) Also some sleeves/covers to go over this connectors are available .once wired with the right bits we should never run into electrical issues ....

Prashanth
Old 20th June 2012, 10:19   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
If you want to use only the pin, can be done. Use a electrical contact cleaner or a bit of sandpaper to remove oxidation layer. But why, your S1 will have different style connectors. Why not give that covetted wiring loom to a deserving Delight owner .

P.S.: Vipul, we have gone off track, reguest you to start your own thread and then the mods can move the relavent post's to your thread. Sorry Sonu Bro for Hijacking your thread.
Old 20th June 2012, 11:55   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
P.S.: Vipul, we have gone off track, reguest you to start your own thread and then the mods can move the relavent post's to your thread. Sorry Sonu Bro for Hijacking your thread.
Oh Manish, Why are you breaking my heart. I feel privileged & blessed that another resto is being documented in my thread. Vipul you may continue using this thread.
Now how about MY list Manish?

Raab rakha.
Old 11th February 2013, 11:20   #127
Senior - BHPian

Brownie @ Mims 2013

I am on my way back from Pune on 23rd Jan, when I get call from Mr. Adil J.D., commander of Zigwheels. Found out that Karl gave him my number and he is looking for a Millecento for display at upcoming MIMS 2013 at MMRDA Grounds Bandra. Last pic with is my better half.

I had committed for VCCCI rally on 27th Jan too, but BROWNIE probably preferred the attention she was getting at MIMS and ,for whatever we may try, wont start!! Frantic calls were made everywhere but no immediate help and so I lost on VCCCI rally. Late in the evening, the car is actually towed home and next morning we find out that the contact clip in distribution box is broken.
Attached Thumbnails
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dscf0200.jpg  

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dscf0203.jpg  

Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dscf0269.jpg  

Last edited by ariesonu : 11th February 2013 at 11:24.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 09:45   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Brownie @ Mims 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
We find out that the contact clip in distribution box is broken.
Dear Sonu - I presume you have the Magneti Marelli distributor in the car, if so, contact breaker clip breaking in Magneti Marelli distributor is very common as good quality parts are just not available. For reliability, I suggest you change to Lucas TVS and use Magneti Marelli only for exhibition purpose. You need to set the dwell angle and ignition timing with correct equipment, though! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 12th February 2013, 10:18   #129
Senior - BHPian

Re: Brownie @ Mims 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Sonu - I presume you have the Magneti Marelli distributor in the car, if so, contact breaker clip breaking in Magneti Marelli distributor is very common as good quality parts are just not available. For reliability, I suggest you change to Lucas TVS and use Magneti Marelli only for exhibition purpose. You need to set the dwell angle and ignition timing with correct equipment, though! .

Best regards,
Behram Dhabhar
Hello Sir,
Yes my car has MM distributor and was able to find the clip (in Magneti Marelli box) very easily, including the rotating bakelite thing.
Have fixed it but the engine is missing sometimes. The electrician who fitted it says that he is unable to set the contact gap properly.
If you re in Mumbai on any weekend & can spare some time then I can bring her to you on any Saturday.

Thanks,
Sonu
Old 12th February 2013, 10:53   #130
BHPian

Hi Sonu

Have been following your thread since a long time and finally i get to post on it (since my membership was appproved in Oct 2012). Your car invokes a great amount of noestalgia..it is registered in my hometown - Jamshedpur / Tatanagar - the place where i spent the first 25 years of my life. In fact my dad still owns a Vespa 150 bought in 1963 and which shares the same BRT registration series. The car i learnt to drive in (my dads first car) was a Fiat Super Select 1100 - with a WBF registration. Sadly we sold this car about 15 years back. Every time i see a picture of your beautifully restored car, i am reminded of my growing up years at Jamshedpur! Appreciate the dedication shown by you in bringing this car all the way to Mumbai and restoring it to its glory. Would love to see your car in person and meet you too.
Old 8th March 2013, 23:49   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Having time on hand & a comp with basic PAINT function, I set out in making some BEFORE/AFTER pics of Brownie:
Attachment 928163
Attachment 928164
Attachment 928165
Attachment 928166
Attachment 928167
Attachment 928168
Attachment 928169
Attachment 928170
Attachment 928171

She drives like a dream but I need to change the rubbers & get the wheel alignment done soon

Am also scouring for parts like:
1) Beige/cream colored Steering wheel
2) Horn button
3) Wiper arms (one with rubber end)
4) Original headlights or its rings
5) Wheel cups
6) Speedo cable

Raab rakha
Hi Raab, thats a very impressive restoration Rakha. especially the head lites alteration, by the way how did u get the meter covers done? in my car they are in pieces, dont know how to get them repaired. tell me how you got yours done. do you get new ones? the original ivory material not the aluminium stuff. is there any chances to sourse the air filter there in Mumbai. please let me know, i have just started my 1955 millecento restoration. will need your guidance in getting it restored.
Old 9th March 2013, 00:37   #132
BHPian

Hi to all fiatians on this thread...Is it ok with you guys if I add on my restoration details and pictures in this thread as there are so many of you following this thread with pretty good knowledge about restoration of millecento. I did start my own thread titled "Restoration of MDN 6494 - In remembrance of my father", but dont know why others are not able to see it. If its Ok with you guys i will post the pictures. Thanks.
Old 9th March 2013, 12:18   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkannant View Post
Hi to all fiatians on this thread...Is it ok with you guys if I add on my restoration details and pictures in this thread as there are so many of you following this thread with pretty good knowledge about restoration of millecento. I did start my own thread titled "Restoration of MDN 6494 - In remembrance of my father", but dont know why others are not able to see it. If its Ok with you guys i will post the pictures. Thanks.
Dear Drkannant - well, here is a picture of your car MDN6494. Enjoy!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-137031.jpg  

DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 15:33   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Drkannant - well, here is a picture of your car MDN6494. Enjoy!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hi Behram, Thanks a lot for uploading the picture. Did u see the other pictures, what do u think about the present status of the car. I have uploaded some more pictures of the car and the interiors. Check them out and advice. Thanks.
Old 11th March 2013, 00:20   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkannant View Post
Hi Behram, Thanks a lot for uploading the picture. Did u see the other pictures, what do u think about the present status of the car. I have uploaded some more pictures of the car and the interiors. Check them out and advice. Thanks.
Did speak to Rony this morning, got some great piece of advice and loads of information regarding restoration of my 1955 fiat. Thanks Rony.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks