Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:17   #46
BHPian

Re: Our Lost & Found Classic - 1954 Dodge Convertible

Wonderful detailing. The tinkering job is executed very well, and it being a complete makeover, the final product is going to last for another generation. Awaiting frequent updates, even though it's a bit too much to ask for! Thanks for sharing the pics of all parts and jobs done.
Joe M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 18:32   #47
Senior - BHPian

Though not directly related, I thought you would be interested to know howmuch the 4 Door Indian version costed in 1954.

Retail price Rs. 18.740/- Ex factory

Our Lost & Found Classic - 1954 Dodge Convertible-dodge-car-oct-54.jpg

This advertisement is from Readers Digest October 1954.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 21:22   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Though not directly related, I thought you would be interested to know howmuch the 4 Door Indian version costed in 1954.

Retail price Rs. 18.740/- Ex factory
Ram, you mean Rs. 18,740/-! Now you know how a punctuation mark makes the difference!
Aside, anyone got any idea how much that'd be in today's money?
Stanher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 08:13   #49
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Can you please share details of the primering / painting process? Initially while working I can see regular red primer being used. What is the black coat on the underside? Black paint or a specific antirust?
Well Well Karl, you are over estimating us . We are still old school.

The under body has been painted with epoxy paint. We are may plan spraying a ruberoid compound, yet to decide.

Initially Sripathy had pained the firewall and engine bay in black, but we favoured reverting to grey, since most American cars came in that colour

Our Lost & Found Classic - 1954 Dodge Convertible-d100-1.jpg

Our Lost & Found Classic - 1954 Dodge Convertible-dscn2267.jpg

Bangalore has been very cloudy over the last 10 days and our painting has been delayed.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 09:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

Dear KPS,

Lovely nostalgic story, stuff of our dreams. It's a Joy be reunited with the Car and as always the restoration is coming up real nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Ram, you mean Rs. 18,740/-! Now you know how a punctuation mark makes the difference!
Shyam, this is also right if it is denoted in European system of decimal comma usage .
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 10:33   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Dear KPS,

Shyam, this is also right if it is denoted in European system of decimal comma usage .
Thanks Guys, Shaym for pointing out the typ and Manish for coming to my defence

Shyam - 1 Troy Ounce of Gold was USD 35.04 in 1954. If you base the paper currency on that basis alone then in today's term it would be around Rs. 7 Lakhs - but then that wouldn't be the right way. I am sure there are other well versed in economics to give us a more accurate projection

Best Regards and Drive safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 13:32   #52
BHPian

An amazing read and wonderful experience in itself. No better tribute to your dad than getting one of his favorite cars back in shape.

If you don't mind, could you please allow me to drop in person sometime to experience it 1st hand. Only if its fine to you and in your presence sometime.

Regards
Saurav
Thumping Soul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 18:34   #53
BHPian

Hi KPS, great to see Dodge restoration work in progress with quality, I am sure this Dodge when finally restored, it will turn out to be another great car like your Plymouth PB. I am eagerly waiting to see more pictures of its progress. We also used to have Dodge for a short time, we did not have any pics, but they are great runner, very smooth ride.

Meantime good luck and look forward to see more interesting history from your side.

Cheers!
vintagepoint5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 07:29   #54
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
If you don't mind, could you please allow me to drop in person sometime to experience it 1st hand. Only if its fine to you and in your presence sometime.
Regards
Saurav
Saurav, I would be very happy to let you experience this car. I think mid-October would be a good time to try and connect.

I would like to give a big THANK YOU to Ram who has gone the extra mile to get me information on the paint scheme. He referred to his friend, who is an expert and this is what he wrote.

Quote:
This car was painted with Acme brand paint. Because it looks faded there can be two colors. From my eyes it looks more Blue (see the pic attached). These are the two colors. They never painted any cars in silver.

1.San Pedro Blue ( Light) # 22-7524
2. Pasadena Grey ( Light) # 22-7518
3. Modesto Blue ( Light) # 22-7513

Our Lost & Found Classic - 1954 Dodge Convertible-ram.jpg
In fact this was the colour I was inclined to do from the beginning. However Dad was keen on the Silver. Finally seeing the picture sent by Ram, the family again debated and we decided that we will go with the blue suggested by Ram.

Thank you again and hope to meet you soon

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 10:25   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Thanks Karl. The original colour of the car was silver with blue leather upholstery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
I would like to give a big THANK YOU to Ram who has gone the extra mile to get me information on the paint scheme. He referred to his friend, who is an expert and this is what he wrote.

In fact this was the colour I was inclined to do from the beginning. However Dad was keen on the Silver. Finally seeing the picture sent by Ram, the family again debated and we decided that we will go with the blue suggested by Ram.
Is there any paint code to decipher on the VIN plate? American cars usually had this information. Also keep in mind that export market cars probably had some differences in specification, including paint. Anyways it is established that this is a Dodge badged Plymouth, so the Plymouth paint schemes need not apply.

My personal preference would be silver, more so since that has been the colour of the car for all these years.
Old 5th September 2014, 11:34   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any paint code to decipher on the VIN plate? American cars usually had this information. Also keep in mind that export market cars probably had some differences in specification, including paint. Anyways it is established that this is a Dodge badged Plymouth, so the Plymouth paint schemes need not apply.

My personal preference would be silver, more so since that has been the colour of the car for all these years.
Karl,

Its questionable if the original colour was Silver Or not. My friend had identified all colours on which the 1954 P25 was available which is as below.

Our Lost & Found Classic - 1954 Dodge Convertible-untitled-1.jpg

From the above you can see that there were no "Silver" option.

Now as you rightly pointed the colours for export the colours could have been different. But I think it could not have been silver originally, if you consider the following

• The Original upholstery was Blue & White - which will not gel with silver
  • Silver I believe was not a "period colour"
  • In the original pain schemes there are two shades of grey - and may be the car was originally in one of that colour.
  • The photos available was when the car was recovered - it might well have been re-sprayed.
  • Last but not the least - Faded "blues" over a period of time look kind of silverfish as well
But then it would the owners final call.

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 11:47   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Karl,

Its questionable if the original colour was Silver Or not. My friend had identified all colours on which the 1954 P25 was available which is as below.

Attachment 1283081

Now as you rightly pointed the colours for export the colours could have been different. But I think it could not have been silver originally, if you consider the following

• The Original upholstery was Blue & White - which will not gel with silver
  • Silver I believe was not a "period colour"
  • In the original pain schemes there are two shades of grey - and may be the car was originally in one of that colour.
  • The photos available was when the car was recovered - it might well have been re-sprayed.
  • Last but not the least - Faded "blues" over a period of time look kind of silverfish as well
But then it would the owners final call.

Ram
Thanks for sharing the list Ram. That's a total of 15 colours, impressive.

Maybe silver was not the original colour (it has obviously been resprayed), but my contention was that the car has been silver all its life (resprayed in period), everyone will remember the car as 'that Silver Dodge', so thought that it would suit best. From a cosmetic point of view too I think it would look better than the blue, and silver should very much be a period colour for a '50s American car I should think.

If the blue is chosen, some two tone accents could also be considered (possibly white or a darker blue).

Of course KPS will make an informed choice, and the car will look attractive either way.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 12:29   #58
BHPian

Hi KPS,

Great Going!

I've spent many summers in the Nilgiris as a kid, my grandparents were based there. My mother mentions that Mr. Jack Lawrence used to host some great X'Mas parties, and she also recollects that he passed away while driving at an UPASI car event. Is this correct?

The colours mentioned by Ram are correct, but the convertible didn't have all these options, the available options were:

San Diego Gold - Top Tan Std. Black Opt.
San Pedro Blue - Top Dk Blue Std. Tan or Black Opt.
San Gabriel Green - Top Dk Green Std. Tan or Black Opt.
Santa Rosa Coral - Top Black Std. Tan Opt.

While these options hold true for the North American market, I am not too sure what the export market options and combinations were.

INTERIOR

CONVERTIBLE AND SUBURBAN

Seats: Doeskin vinyl matching lower body color for central panels. Woodweave pattern vinyl
for bolsters and seat base.
Door Trim: Central panels of vinyl match seat panels. Top and bottom panels are woodweave
vinyl matching seat bolsters.
Floor Mats: Convertible - wool carpeting, front and rear, in lower body color. Suburban - wool
carpeting front; and molded rubber mat, rear, in lower body color. Late Suburbans had carpeting
in rear passenger compartment Panel: Central “island” in San Mateo Wheat. Area above
“island” has No-Glare Finish matching lower body color. Area below “island” also matches
lower body.
Steering Wheel: Three-spoke with horn ring. Background of decorative button matches lower
body color, wheel is San Mateo Wheat.
Garnish Mouldings: Enamel to match lower body color.: Suburban - Woodweave vinyl to
match seat bolster.
Cargo Compartment Mat (Suburban) - Rubber moulded in Dark Blue, Dark Green, Dark
Yellow or Coral.
Sill Plates: Aluminum (Some very early production had rubber sill plates).

INTERIOR TRIM COMBINATIONS

FOR BLUE, GRAY, OR MAROON EXTERIOR

Seats: Blue ladder weave fabric central panels with dark blue bolsters.
Door Trim: Blue ladder weave central panel of vinyl with dark blue panels above and below.
Headliner: Blue fabric.
Floor Mats: Dark blue rubber molded to simulate carpet.
Instrument Panel: Dark blue w/light gray “island”. Entire area above “island” has No-Glare
finish.
Steering Wheel: Two-spoke with horn ring-wheel finished in light gray.
Garnish Moldings: Dark blue enamel.
Sill Plates: Rubber. Some late cars have aluminum.

FOR GREEN OR BLACK EXTERIOR

Seats: Green ladder weave fabric central panels with dark green bolsters.
Door Trim: Green ladder weave central panel of vinyl with dark green panels above and below.
Headliner: Green fabric.
Floor Mats: Dark green rubber molded to simulate carpet.
Instrument Panel: Dark green with light green “island”. Entire area above instrument “island”
has No-Glare finish.
Steering Wheel: Two-spoke with horn ring-wheel finished in light green.
Garnish Molding: Dark green enamel.

FOR BROWN OR BEIGE EXTERIOR

Seats: Beige ladder weave fabric central panels with brown bolsters.
Door Trim: Beige ladder weave central panel of vinyl with brown panels above and below.
Headliner: Beige fabric.
Floor Mats: Brown rubber molded to simulate carpet.
Instrument Panel: Brown with beige “island”. Entire area above instrument “island” has No-
Glare finish.
Steering Wheel: Two-spoke with horn ring-wheel finished in beige.
Garnish Molding: Brown enamel.
RollingArt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 13:06   #59
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ram
Quote:
Maybe silver was not the original colour (it has obviously been resprayed),....
Dad remembers that it has always been Silver. You recollect MYB-3 the Karnataka State Car now in Dharmasthala, is also Silver with blue trim, though she has been repainted for sure. May be Silver was introduced by Premier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingArt View Post
Hi KPS,
Great Going!
I've spent many summers in the Nilgiris as a kid, my grandparents were based there. My mother mentions that Mr. Jack Lawrence used to host some great X'Mas parties, and she also recollects that he passed away while driving at an UPASI car event. Is this correct?

Jack Lawrence used to have legendary parties where all guests were involved. In my first post, I did mention that he died in 1976, choking on a bun in a UPASI Treasure Hunt event, next to the car.

Thanks for the update on the trims. In our car the seat is fully blue and the front door is blue and white.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 13:16   #60
BHPian

Hi KPS,
Lovely story, kudos to your determination to find this Dodge. I believe we will have the pleasure of your company in the Dodge later this year when we drive down to visit the tea gardens

Colours are a very personal choice, I for one always select what pleases me, much to the annoyance of the purists.

Blue`, light or dark, would be my choice, but it is your car and what pleases you is the correct shade

Look forward to yet another immaculate restoration for which you are well known and appreciated.

Time for all DPDC lovers to have outstation drives
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed