Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2014, 18:46   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I completely forgot to add details on the Companion, though I don't know much about them. I believe the hatch was made of fiber, and it got a recess like early Heralds. They also had 'quad' headlights like the Vitesse. Stanher would be the best to tell us when they were introduced. I guess around 1970.
Awesome thread! Glad to see your Herald online finally!
The Mk3 Companion I guess was introduced around 1969- I knew of one that was made in that year, though was first registered in 1970.
Yes, rear hatch as well as roof made of fibreglass. To save weight apparently as they were otherwise underpowered (all 948cc) but that may have been why they didn't sell too well (only 126 made.)
And no, quad headlights didn't appear on all of them, though the one I knew did have them. The rest all had the normal mk3 headlamp arrangement.
Attached is a pic. of one for ref. (if not digressing in this thread) wherethe headlamp arrangement can be made out, though a side-view pic.:

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-companion02.jpg
Stanher is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 20:42   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

09th September 2014

I had a new pair of master cylinders for brake and clutch with me, which came in handy and were fitted to the car. New brake lines were fashioned, and the wiring loom started to go in.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-164.jpg

These are the surrounds for the parking light and indicator cluster. They are frayed and worn, we are trying to replicate them as best possible.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-165.jpg

These indicator lenses are impossible to come by, or so I thought, till thebulletboy pointed out that they are Lucas 691 design. I ordered a new pair of lenses via eBay. They are common to many British cars.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-166.jpg

These are the remnants of the tiny park light assemblies. Both bases are intact, though only one ring and no lens. We need to adapt something.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-167.jpg

New rubber gaskets were fashioned for the taillight lenses (lenses I was glad to receive from Stanher)

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-168.jpg

Chrome and trims were returned from buffing, ready to fit

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-169.jpg

A new dash board was created using the original template - of course taking care to ignore the extra lenses.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-170.jpg

Dash hardware was intact - though missing a couple of switches.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-171.jpg

The car was missing one rare dimpled type hubcap, which I was glad to receive from Stanher again.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-172.jpg

The front seats had been badly altered to accommodate a recliner mechanism. The frames were repaired (almost reconstructed) using originals as a template.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-173.jpg

The original rear seat back came out intact under the covers. I was glad to have a reference of the original design.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-174.jpg

10th September 2014

I'm glad that great care was being taken during the fitting process. The original wiper motor was repaired and detailed before being fitted.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-175.jpg

Clear coat on the dash

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-176.jpg

11th September 2014

The seat frames were nearing completion

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-177.jpg

The dash frame too was complete

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-178.jpg

The rear taillight reflectors were renewed

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-179.jpg

Fortunately new boot lid hinges were procured. Remanufactured in brass, they should be long lasting

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-180.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 21st September 2014 at 20:48.
karlosdeville is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 20:44   #18
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
The Mk3 Companion I guess was introduced around 1969- I knew of one that was made in that year, though was first registered in 1970.
Yes, rear hatch as well as roof made of fibreglass.....
Stanher, thanks for the update. How original is this car with the fibreglass rear?

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-pic1.jpg

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-pic4.jpg

More pictures can be seen here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1133832

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1133908

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 20:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely - which is the final test for the car. I look forward to your Dodge giving me company.
I would really like to say, that this sort of attention which a Herald is getting, is possibly unheard of. (With the notable exception of APF/4050.) Heralds, being low in number, are still neglected. The Heralds quirks, namely the cambered suspension are so loveable!

Such a detailed restoration would be possible only when the car is a seperate chassis one. In a monocoque, such as a Fiat 1100, such a restoration would be a lot tougher.

The regn in this car is early Sixties, Nagpur, of course. Reminds me of "MHN/2191" my grandfathers Willys CJ3B, with the F-Head Hurricane, running on a Carter carb, what else? Pure petrol power. No turbo diesel nonsense. Was last seen in Jammu, in the early eighties, battered and far far away from Nagpur.

That said, I see a later Ponton being restored in the background, along with a late forties Dodge. Is the Dodge a Fluid drive? Any info on these cars?

Lastly, was "BMX/8998", Packard 46-47 Clipper restored here? I see a crate marked with "B_X/8998", in the background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs_shetty87 View Post
Wow!

Were all the cars then were made similarly?
Yes & no.

The Fiat 1100s and the Ambassadors aka the Morris Oxford were asssembled with CKD kits, and were monocoques. Notably, the Herald was a seperate chassis.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 21st September 2014 at 20:51.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 20:53   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

12th September 2014

Dash fitting continued. Meters were serviced, and I had the speedo reset to zero since we are treating the car as if it is brand new

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-181.jpg

One of the rear trims had a nasty screw drilled through. The hole was an eyesore, though it was expertly filled in and levelled. Attention to detail from Kaizad's end on these matters was impressive.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-182.jpg

The top for the dash was readied, and winders were serviced with new sleeves stitched.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-183.jpg

The bumpers were painted

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-184.jpg

Doors were fitted

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-185.jpg

13th September 2014

The glasses and quarter window frames were fitted

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-186.jpg

Paint prep work continued on the boot and bonnet

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-187.jpg

The seat frames were painted and ready for upholstery work

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-188.jpg

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-189.jpg

15th September 2014

The wheels were stripped, primered and painted. They were fortunately in great shape.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-190.jpg

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-191.jpg

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-192.jpg

Small parts like the ashtray were detailed

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-193.jpg

I was lucky to source new windscreen rubbers locally, in the correct design for Indian cars. English cars had a trim in the rubber.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-194.jpg

Dash assembly continued, and looked good.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-195.jpg

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-196.jpg

Foam was used for the seats, and a design identified, based on the original.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-197.jpg

I got this bonnet badge from a friend when still in school. It fortunately came in use so many years later. It was also from a Mark 2.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-198.jpg

I also had a pair of front guards. The ones on our car were cut to accommodate the accessory bumper.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-199.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 21st September 2014 at 21:06.
karlosdeville is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 21:13   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

16th September 2014

We found a Unihorn (!) brand UCAL horn fitted, along with a bull horn. I guess this was the original

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-200.jpg

The wheel nuts were completely worn off, and identical original English ones were procured, though we still need to find a spanner for it.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-201.jpg

Finally she looks like a car again, with the bonnet painted and fitted.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-202.jpg

Wheels were fitted, and shod with radial tyres since I couldn't source crossplies anywhere.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-203.jpg

More underseal for the parts exposed

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-204.jpg

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-205.jpg

Door pad almost ready (matched to original design)

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-206.jpg

Seats getting ready (matched to original design).

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-207.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 21:22   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

17th September 2014

The fabric for the headlining was selected, as close as possible to the original.
1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-208.jpg

Badges were rechromed
1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-209.jpg

Dash was fitted
1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-210.jpg

18th September 2014

Indicator lenses were fantastically restored. I had no idea they could look this good. It took effort.
1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-211.jpg

The horn grille was painted silver, though I'm not sure if we should paint it black, might look neater.
1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-212.jpg

New Lucas headlights were fitted
1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-213.jpg

The seats are almost ready
1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-214.jpg

19th September 2014

Carpet installation began. The original moulded rubber mats are no longer available, and this looks neat.
1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-215.jpg

20th September 2014

Glove box was fabricated
1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-216.jpg

Bullet park lights were adapted - they look neat, and are a perfect fit.
1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-217.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 21st September 2014 at 21:24.
karlosdeville is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 21:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
I would really like to say, that this sort of attention which a Herald is getting, is possibly unheard of. (With the notable exception of APF/4050.) Heralds, being low in number, are still neglected. The Heralds quirks, namely the cambered suspension are so loveable!

Such a detailed restoration would be possible only when the car is a seperate chassis one. In a monocoque, such as a Fiat 1100, such a restoration would be a lot tougher.

The regn in this car is early Sixties, Nagpur, of course. Reminds me of "MHN/2191" my grandfathers Willys CJ3B, with the F-Head Hurricane, running on a Carter carb, what else? Pure petrol power. No turbo diesel nonsense. Was last seen in Jammu, in the early eighties, battered and far far away from Nagpur.

That said, I see a later Ponton being restored in the background, along with a late forties Dodge. Is the Dodge a Fluid drive? Any info on these cars?

Lastly, was "BMX/8998", Packard 46-47 Clipper restored here? I see a crate marked with "B_X/8998", in the background.

Not restored here , she does not require currently . Spares for my fiat were sent in the same box.

Cheers

Yes & no.

The Fiat 1100s and the Ambassadors aka the Morris Oxford were asssembled with CKD kits, and were monocoques. Notably, the Herald was a seperate chassis.

Not restored here , she does not require currently . Spares for my fiat were sent in the same box.

Cheers
Old 21st September 2014, 21:46   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Stanher, thanks for the update. How original is this car with the fibreglass rear?
The rear end on this car unfortunately was all b-ggered up with modjobs! But the rest of the car seemed original.
Incidentally, this car was sadly scrapped at your gujiri sometime later.
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Awesome resto and it has to be, especially when it is coming from Karl.
Kaizad's team has done some incredible work there.
On the first page one of my concern was park lights but bullet light adaptation is very creative job done there.
Will the glove box have a lid? If so, is it part of original fitment?
The dashboard frame should ahve been given a venner cover and then lacquered. The plywood look gives it an incomplete look. I say so because I do woodworking,
Or else it could have been given a matt spray clear coat.

Just my two cents and am not playing with originality.

Raab rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:35   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Will the glove box have a lid? If so, is it part of original fitment?
The dashboard frame should ahve been given a venner cover and then lacquered. The plywood look gives it an incomplete look. I say so because I do woodworking,
Or else it could have been given a matt spray clear coat.
The glove box is open, there should be no lid to it.

I am not too sure whether the original would have had a veneer over it or just polished. When I get to see an original car up close I'll find out. The old dash that came out of my car had no veneer. We have given the dash clear coats. To be honest I like the slightly patinated look, and it definitely shouldn't be highly polished expensive wood - it would never have been like that originally.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

20th September 2014

Glove box was fabricated
Attachment 1290824
Karl,

I know it will be a mere repetition of whar others have said already, a great job and attention to detail is showing every where. She will be a looker when done.

What were you saying about the thimble light - I didn't understand - you have ordered a new piece from Lucas ?

Now, I am sorry to say that, to me at least, there is one jarring note. The Dash-board - please tell me its not the final piece. If it is then it is definitely a sub-standard one

Original ones are teak veneered 4 mm plywood - with long grains (horizontal).

Here someone has made use of a cross-cut from a plywood board - consequently the wood grains have become cross-cut (verical) as well. You have shown couple of pictures of the dash with long/horizontal grains.

People familiar with wood will tell you that the beauty of wood finish is on the clarity of the grains and it (grains) should always be on the length of the piece (I know it because my grandpa ran one of the first mechanised wood industry in Kerala/Trivandrum).

If its not too late please get is changed.

Get a good piece of Teak Veneered ply - look at the clarity of grains. The finish - use filler coloured with "Teak Powder" and then finish with either Teak Finish sealer like "Touchwood" or even clear sealer. It would look wonderful. I saw your post about the glossy look. You can go for the mat-finish sealer.

Even the finish on the current piece is not good. It looks like some one just sprayed the clear sealer on the veneer. May be your painter tried his hand on this, please give it to furniture polisher to do the job properly

I know you will not take this as a critisism but a suggestion make a beutiful thing more beutiful

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 22nd September 2014 at 12:12.
r_nairtvm is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:05   #28
BHPian

Karl,
Great to see the WIP. However one weak area noticed by me is the painted door. The outer skin is gleaming but the inner side seems neglected with rust very visible. Please have the inner sides properly cleaned and use the same WURTH PRODUCT. Hope you have drilled drain holes in the lower side of the doors? Otherwise water will accumulate, and you know the rest.

Look forward to seeing all your other cars receiving similar care

Last edited by Bulldogji : 22nd September 2014 at 12:07.
Bulldogji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:26   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
What were you saying about the thimble light - I didn't understand - you have ordered a new piece from Lucas?
Thanks for the kind words Ram. I ordered new amber lenses for the larger assemblies, though the older ones look so pleasing I am not changing them for now. The smaller thimble ones we don't have, so substituted with bullet lenses - they seem to be a perfect fit, same diameter.

This raises another question - In the cluster should the centre larger amber lens be the indicator or the park light? And similarly for the smaller thimble lens at the extremity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Now, I am sorry to say that, to me at least, there is one jarring note. The Dash-board - please tell me its not the final piece. If it is then it is definitely a sub-standard one

Original ones are teak veneered 4 mm plywood - with long grains (horizontal).

Here someone has made use of a cross-cut from a plywood board - consequently the wood grains have become cross-cut (verical) as well. You have shown couple of pictures of the dash with long/horizontal grains.

People familiar with wood will tell you that the beauty of wood finish is on the clarity of the grains and it (grains) should always be on the length of the piece (I know it because my grandpa ran one of the first mechanised wood industry in Kerala/Trivandrum).

If its not too late please get is changed.

Get a good piece of Teak Veneered ply - look at the clarity of grains. The finish - use filler coloured with "Teak Powder" and then finish with either Teak Finish sealer like "Touchwood" or even clear sealer. It would look wonderful

Even the finish on the current piece is not good. It looks like some one just sprayed the clear sealer on the veneer. May be your painter tried his hand on this, please give it to furniture polisher to do the job properly

I know you will not take this as a critisism but a suggestion make a beautiful thing more beautiful
Thanks Ram - this is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for, to help improve the car. We noticed the grain orientation early on, but since the piece was already cut, decided to overlook it in a moment of weakness. I really have no knowledge on the kinds of wood to be used, or the finishes. Thanks for this. I will probably remake a piece eventually, though for now this stays till the car is fully sorted mechanically and I use it for a while. We are working on a deadline to have the car ready for a drive of a lifetime, including visiting the South. For phase 2 of the restoration I'll give this priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Karl,
Great to see the WIP. However one weak area noticed by me is the painted door. The outer skin is gleaming but the inner side seems neglected with rust very visible. Please have the inner sides properly cleaned and use the same WURTH PRODUCT. Hope you have drilled drain holes in the lower side of the doors? Otherwise water will accumulate, and you know the rest.
Thanks bulldogji. Actually what you see on the insides of the doors is not rust, but more likely to be red primer, over which a light coat of black was applied. Care was taken to ensure primer reaches all the nooks and crannies where the hand can't reach by means of cotton waste doused in primer and squeezed in. All this and more good advise came from Rony in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Look forward to seeing all your other cars receiving similar care
As do I, we both know how long overdue they are But these things proceed slowly and steadily - as I learn more about how to go about it and more importantly as vitamin M is supplied
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 14:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration

Quote:
This raises another question - In the cluster should the centre larger amber lens be the indicator or the park light? And similarly for the smaller thimble lens at the extremity.
Karl, you know my history with Herald MK II.

I have no hesitation in answering your query - the Amber was the indicator in the Indian Herald MK II right from beginning. As I mentioned in an earlier post on another thread Herald MK II was the first Indian Car to come out with the Amber indicator in the front (Fiats had it only on the side).

BTW the Bullet lights looks quiet propotionate and doesn't look out of place

Best Regards & Thanks

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 22nd September 2014 at 14:02.
r_nairtvm is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed