Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2014, 09:56   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration

Karl, thats a beautiful restoration. I remember, near my home there was a grey Gazelle. It always fascinated me, but when I was small; I was apprehensive about those angry looks! Your car brought back memories of the grey car. All the best with your car and waiting to see the final pictures.

P.S: Thanks for the ton of information about Standard Heralds in the opening posts.
Old 2nd October 2014, 14:33   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Karl, thats a beautiful restoration. I remember, near my home there was a grey Gazelle. It always fascinated me, but when I was small; I was apprehensive about those angry looks!
Was this the car by any chance? This was photo'd by Karl at a scrapwala's around 10 years ago (can't believe tis been that long!) but was eventually sold and made into...something else!

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-5710658850_26f4ae779b_z.jpg

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-5710659026_cd6752613c_m.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th October 2014 at 17:06. Reason: Hosting pics on TBHP servers itself.
Old 6th October 2014, 14:37   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Continuing on the topic of the elusive park light

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
1. The thimble shaped park light was similar to the thimble shaped headlight main beam indicator light on the dashboard of the Fiat 1100 D (was by the side of the ignition key). It should be easy to find this light if you ask for the Fiat main beam indicator light rather than asking for a Herald Mark II park light. You should be able to source this in Mumbai.
The Lucas L658 design park light seems to be the most period looking, shared from the Triumph parts bin, and the profile of the lens also matches closest to the dash jewel light on the Fiat 1100 (including the little 'fins' or buttresses). It seems to be the best bet for now, till we can confirm exactly what was original. What say Ram, VeyronSuperSprt, bulletboy, Stanher and others?

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-00.jpg
Old 7th October 2014, 00:40   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Continuing on the topic of the elusive park light

The Lucas L658 design park light seems to be the most period looking, shared from the Triumph parts bin, and the profile of the lens also matches closest to the dash jewel light on the Fiat 1100 (including the little 'fins' or buttresses). It seems to be the best bet for now, till we can confirm exactly what was original. What say Ram, VeyronSuperSprt, bulletboy, Stanher and others?

Attachment 1296264
Karl,

These lights are identical to what was on our car. If you can get hold of them that is the ideal.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 10:44   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

6th October 2014

Small trials continue, fine tuning continues.

The interiors are now fully in place

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-01.jpg

As we were missing rear side glasses, one NOS unit was obtained, and the other one cut to size. I'm still looking for clean front and rear windscreens, mine are badly aged.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-02.jpg

A new Amaron DIN44 battery fitted. I swear by Amaron batteries, have used many of them, they really do last long really long ting tong

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-03.jpg

The light clusters are now completed, and look good.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-04.jpg

Since I plan to use the car for long distance, we fitted auxiliary gauges for charging, oil pressure and temperature. A 12V socket added (just to charge my phone) and another dummy button for a second horn in the future. The whole cluster looks neat overall, and is easily removable, and reverting to original won't be a problem.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-05.jpg

A battery cut off switch added as well in the glovebox, since I didn't want to drill any extra holes in the firewall. Its discrete enough.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-06.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 7th October 2014 at 10:48.
karlosdeville is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 12:46   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
6th October 2014

Small trials continue, fine tuning continues.

The light clusters are now completed, and look good.

A battery cut off switch added as well in the glovebox, since I didn't want to drill any extra holes in the firewall. Its discrete enough.
Karl,

The car is coming out real nice.

Couple of suggestions

Light Cluster - the Aluminium plate - Originally in our car I think this plate had small criss-cross black lines. About 3.5 mm square like in the pattern below (or i don't know if I am confusing with the the Amby Mark 1 & 2 Tail lights)

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-untitled.jpg

Another thing, everytime I see the dashboard, I really get disheartened. Please do get it changed. You have enough time and get it done by a proper woodworking shop - the cut lines are so bad - even my son in his wood working class can do a better cut that what is there

Believe me that job alone will make your resto look 100 time better, than as its is

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Old 8th October 2014, 13:43   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Light Cluster - the Aluminium plate - Originally in our car I think this plate had small criss-cross black lines. About 3.5 mm square like in the pattern below (or i don't know if I am confusing with the the Amby Mark 1 & 2 Tail lights)
I think the criss-cross you mentioned was only on the Amby taillights. Here is the taillight of my Amby Mark 2 (a Kerala car incidentally)

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-unnamed.jpg

I have seen a couple of original Heralds growing up, and they had a plain finish on this piece.

Quote:
Another thing, everytime I see the dashboard, I really get disheartened. Please do get it changed. You have enough time and get it done by a proper woodworking shop - the cut lines are so bad - even my son in his wood working class can do a better cut that what is there

Believe me that job alone will make your resto look 100 time better, than as its is
Will definitely rectify the dash, but like I said before, first I want to use the car for a bit, it has still not set in mechanically. If I spend time on the dash now I will again lose a couple of days, and time is short.
Old 8th October 2014, 14:08   #98
BHPian

Quote:
I think the criss-cross you mentioned was only on the Amby taillights. Here is the taillight of my Amby Mark 2 (a Kerala car incidentally)
Karl,

The Ambassador to the best of my knowledge never had the pattern as shown. maybe it was an aftermarket fitment.

The Standard looks nice, I agree with you, now time being short, cosmetics should take a back seat and mechanicals given priority.

Hope you manage to sort out all the bugs and go for a long drive ASAP, before the southern drive

Last edited by karlosdeville : 8th October 2014 at 14:12. Reason: Fixing quote
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 14:15   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
The Ambassador to the best of my knowledge never had the pattern as shown. maybe it was an aftermarket fitment.
Thanks, I too suspected aftermarket, but they must have been common. Here is another design I have seen

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-amby.jpg

Out of curiosity what was the original unit like? Just a plain steel insert? Any lettering on it?
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 14:23   #100
BHPian

Karl,
I will try to recall, honestly I never paid attention to this in the numerous ambassadors we had.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 14:23   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Out of curiosity what was the original unit like? Just a plain steel insert? Any lettering on it?
Original was - what is in your car - without the red diamond design and the lettering.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 8th October 2014 at 14:24.
Old 8th October 2014, 22:16   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
but I remember seeing a couple of em that were plain but with "HM" lettering in the middle. Again, not sure if that indeed was original.
Best bet would be to see a few old-time movies!
Stanher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 10:32   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Everytime I see the dashboard, I really get disheartened. Please do get it changed. You have enough time and get it done by a proper woodworking shop - the cut lines are so bad - even my son in his wood working class can do a better cut that what is there. Believe me that job alone will make your resto look 100 time better, than as its i. Best Regards & Drive Safe Ram
Hi Karl, If you have the earlier template still lying around, I volunteer to make dashboard for you. You can fit it whenever you feel like doing so in future.

Raab rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 17:08   #104
BHPian

Brilliant the attention to detail is amazing! For the tyres you could check out whitewall inserts, had used them on my Beetle in the 90's. some links to give you an idea:
http://www.portawallshop.com/
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Atlas-15-Wide...-/320980248283
Also a thread on these inserts:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...utorunner.html
rmonie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 03:16   #105

Hi Stanher, could you please e-mail me your contact info on my e-mail address : khizermohiuddin@gmail.com. Thanks I need help in restoring 2 heralds in hyderabad. Thanks

Most Viewed