Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2014, 14:01   #76
BHPian

Re: 1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The cream wheels are the original combination for these cars, and I like the look, they will stay. Someday maybe I'll add whitewall tyres when possible.

The roof fits on bolts, so can be removed without too much fuss. I don't intend to though!
So I assume it sits on a beading of sorts to prevent water seeping in? I'd love to swing by and check out the car over the wkend if its OK with you?
Old 27th September 2014, 11:47   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
So I assume it sits on a beading of sorts to prevent water seeping in? I'd love to swing by and check out the car over the wkend if its OK with you?
Yes, there are rubber seals - its a proper hardtop.

I should get the car next week, you are most welcome to have a look.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 12:25   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Dear Howler - oh, you are in Bombay? Let's catch up, it will be my pleasure to meet you and discuss pleasant things (besides you know what - HaHaHa)! . Do send me your contact number by PM.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 27th September 2014, 13:09   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

26th September 2014

Final fitting continues, here we see the grille and bumper guards fitted.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-01.jpg

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-02.jpg

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-03.jpg

A small trial was taken for the first time, initial reports are positive.
karlosdeville is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 14:39   #80
BANNED

Quote:
I suppose the final finish would have been anodised, not sure.
The aluminum surrounds had 2 mn black horizontal and vertical lines across it which were 0.5 cm apart both vertically and horizontally. The end result were 0.5 cms squares created with 2mm black lines.

The Stampro logo wasn't there on the Mk II.

A major cause of rattle in the herald were the chassis bolts which were tightened with rubber bushes. These rubber bushes would wear out easily giving rise to rattles. One of the solutions to eliminate this rattle was to fix canvas strips in place of the rubber bushes.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 28th September 2014 at 14:44.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 20:47   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
The aluminum surrounds had 2 mn black horizontal and vertical lines across it which were 0.5 cm apart both vertically and horizontally. The end result were 0.5 cms squares created with 2mm black lines.

The Stampro logo wasn't there on the Mk II.

A major cause of rattle in the herald were the chassis bolts which were tightened with rubber bushes. These rubber bushes would wear out easily giving rise to rattles. One of the solutions to eliminate this rattle was to fix canvas strips in place of the rubber bushes.
Thanks - I've never seen this chequered pattern you mention, plus theres no trace of it on my car too. Do you have any images?

The shield logo was definitely offered on Mark IIs, its there on my car plus many other original ones.
Old 29th September 2014, 07:11   #82
BANNED

Just went over more of the thread - some points:

1. The thimble shaped park light was similar to the thimble shaped headlight main beam indicator light on the dashboard of the Fiat 1100 D (was by the side of the ignition key). It should be easy to find this light if you ask for the Fiat main beam indicator light rather than asking for a Herald Mark II park light. You should be able to source this in Mumbai.

2. The dimpled hub caps were present only from Mark III (4 door) onwards. The original for the Mark II was the round one's that came with the Amby (should be easy to source new ones).

3. There is no doubt that the Mark II did not have the logo. Standard Motors India only had the logo on the bar between the grille of the Mark I and never after that. The logo on any Mark II is an aftermarket job. If you would like to bring it to its original look, it would be better not to fix the logo.

4. Can't seem to find pics of the surrounds as it was an India - only design as were other parts such as removal of the depression in the boot lid - something that Triumph never did all through their production run of the Triumph Herald - this was more of a cost cutting exercise by Standard Motors India (as were the head light cluster) etc. Will see if I can locate some pics of the headlight surrounds.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 09:45   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Just went over more of the thread - some points:

1. The thimble shaped park light was similar to the thimble shaped headlight main beam indicator light on the dashboard of the Fiat 1100 D (was by the side of the ignition key). It should be easy to find this light if you ask for the Fiat main beam indicator light rather than asking for a Herald Mark II park light. You should be able to source this in Mumbai.

2. The dimpled hub caps were present only from Mark III (4 door) onwards. The original for the Mark II was the round one's that came with the Amby (should be easy to source new ones).

3. There is no doubt that the Mark II did not have the logo. Standard Motors India only had the logo on the bar between the grille of the Mark I and never after that. The logo on any Mark II is an aftermarket job. If you would like to bring it to its original look, it would be better not to fix the logo.

4. Can't seem to find pics of the surrounds as it was an India - only design as were other parts such as removal of the depression in the boot lid - something that Triumph never did all through their production run of the Triumph Herald - this was more of a cost cutting exercise by Standard Motors India (as were the head light cluster) etc. Will see if I can locate some pics of the headlight surrounds.
1. I've heard many theories on the park lights for the Mark II, most of them plausible but in this case I really doubt that the Fiat dashboard jewel light would double up as a park light - they are really tiny, I doubt they would be the parts. However I do have another theory - the shape of which does tally a bit more with your suggestion.

Here is the indicator/park light cluster from the Triumph TR4A/TR5

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-214491_cropped.jpg

Possibly the park light at the tip is what may have been fitted? Considering it is a Triumph part, that debuted in 1965... the plot thickens. Ram?

2. While I agree the earliest Mark IIs with the recessed boot lid had Amby type wheel caps, it is more likely that the later ones like mine had dimpled hubcaps. I cannot say 100% for sure, just going by some other cars I have seen. Since my car too had them, I'm keeping them for now.

3. I am pretty positive that the Mark IIs did have the shield logo mounted over the script logo. You can see them on most cars, plus the manual. The grey car with no badge was (probably) in original paint, and you can see the mounting holes.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-000.jpg
1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-001.jpg

However since you say it so confidentally perhaps some models had them and some didn't, depending possibly on supply.

Thanks for your input
Old 29th September 2014, 10:55   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

27th September 2014

More fitting continues. New rubber boots for the master cylinders were fitted.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-001.jpg

The front seats went in

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-002.jpg

A 5km trial was taken (unfortunately I wasn't there), smooth sailing for now.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-003.jpg

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-004.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 10:56   #85
BHPian

Phenomenal! Just phenomenal!

Respect for pulling off such a meticulous and marvellous restoration. The very first car my father bought was also a much-used green-hued Standard Herald, when I was still a toddler. I remember how my father (being an engineer) had figured out how to fix almost every mechanical part of that car on his own, so frequently did it breakdown!

Fantastic thread, thanks for sharing this journey with us all. Keep up the great work!

Last edited by TNAWAYAJ : 29th September 2014 at 10:57. Reason: Typos
Old 29th September 2014, 11:37   #86
BHPian

I don't have words to express . I just remembered the "Overhauling" program on Discovery Turbo & such other overhauling programs which in the west they do with so much of Efforts & technology.
Your efforts are at par with them , with local technology & resources.

Thanks a lot for sharing in such detail. My college mate had a Herald , which all loved from outside , as he never allowed us to even sit when it was running..!

Keep this thread up all the time by posting more pictures & updates.

Thought of writing about Paint job, but each task is amazing & superlative quality. One of the Best restorations on this forum.

Ananth.
Old 29th September 2014, 11:44   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I've heard many theories on the park lights for the Mark II, most of them plausible but in this case I really doubt that the Fiat dashboard jewel light would double up as a park light - they are really tiny, I doubt they would be the parts. However I do have another theory - the shape of which does tally a bit more with your suggestion.

Here is the indicator/park light cluster from the Triumph TR4A/TR5

Possibly the park light at the tip is what may have been fitted? Considering it is a Triumph part, that debuted in 1965... the plot thickens. Ram?

2. While I agree the earliest Mark IIs with the recessed boot lid had Amby type wheel caps, it is more likely that the later ones like mine had dimpled hubcaps. I cannot say 100% for sure, just going by some other cars I have seen. Since my car too had them, I'm keeping them for now.

3. I am pretty positive that the Mark IIs did have the shield logo mounted over the script logo. You can see them on most cars, plus the manual. The grey car with no badge was (probably) in original paint, and you can see the mounting holes.

However since you say it so confidentally perhaps some models had them and some didn't, depending possibly on supply.

Thanks for your input
1. Park Light - I fully agree with you that the Fiat's dash board light can in anyway become a substitute for Heralds PL. They are totally wrong size. Whilst the Herald PL was about 1-1.5" dia the fiat dash lamp was about 1/2-3/4" dia.

The possibility of TRA 4's part being used is very plausible

2. The MK II without recessed boot lid was supplied with Amby type Hub Caps, as well. Our 1968 model had that type.

3. Our car was grey colour and that may be the reason it didn't have the logo on the bonnet. I am pretty certain that it didn't have a logo.

The car is coming along quiet well. Karl to me the wheel rim's colour look too bright - any way you can tone it down or make it lighter, I feel it will look better.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 29th September 2014 at 11:46.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 16:08   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
2. The MK II without recessed boot lid was supplied with Amby type Hub Caps, as well. Our 1968 model had that type.
IIRC you had mentioned that your mk2 was the last model with the "fat" C-pillars. Those did seem to come with the rounded type. But I've seen quite a few of the 'intermediate' mk2s which had the dimpled hubcaps, inlcuding this one (below.)
But again, there's a possibility these were fitted later on, maybe to 'upgrade' the car, like Fiat 1100s being fitted with padmini hubcaps!

Quote:
3. Our car was grey colour and that may be the reason it didn't have the logo on the bonnet. I am pretty certain that it didn't have a logo.
And I'm pretty certain it did! Considering every other mk2 I've seen has had it fitted.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-mea.jpg

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-img_3155.jpg
Stanher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 10:47   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

30th September 2014

The headliner has gone in. We were missing rear side glasses, they are being fabricated, should be ready soon for fitment. The windscreens as you can see are old and hopefully will polish out nicely. Not much else we can do.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-04.jpg

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-05.jpg

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-06.jpg

The trims on the roof went on, as did the corner roof badges (shouldn't be there on my car, but they look nice and I don't have the original roof - very similar, just the corner pressings differ). So for now they stay.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-07.jpg

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-08.jpg

I was lucky to get my hands on NOS wiper blades, still in box marked 'Standard Herald'. Curiously they are made for Goodyear by Tex - the latter is well known for wipers, never heard the Goodyear name associated with it.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-01.jpg

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-02.jpg

And spoilt for choice, I also got a pair of genuine Lucas units.

1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration-03.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 11:11   #90
Senior - BHPian

All photo framing shops use a white powder (cannot recall its name now). I borrowed a packet of same from one of my known framing shop and did soft buffing using the powder on both sides of Brownie's windshields (In & Out). The result is more than satisfactory.
CAUTION: use mask, I didn't and had allegic cold for one full day.

You are one lucky alec. The wiper accesory boxes themselves can be kept as vintage memorabilia. :-)

Raab rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 1st October 2014 at 11:13.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed