Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2007, 08:53   #16
BHPian

Ishan - Glad to see someone share a good sense of asthetics and design. Yea 11L for a project car is ridiculous - how old was the charger? Depending on the condition of a muscle car in India - I would estimate between 5 to 8Ls. I mean - you could get a fully restored Camaro SS for about $50K in the US and these cars are in hot hot demand.

If I could take time off from work - I would love to grab a SUV - Load it with supplies and drive around India looking for project cars in remote places. I know it sounds ludicrous but you can find some gems of automotive history in the most unlikely places. And for a bargain too!

I discovered a 1923 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost in Assansol once. The coach was one of 5 left in the world. It had a tree growing in the middle of the engine bay! Sad sad sight - Tried to see if the owner would sell but alas they had great sentimental value so they wouldnt budge. Last I heard was that someone offered them 25 Laks and they still refused.
Old 5th January 2007, 10:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
I discovered a 1923 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost in Assansol once.
OT:
Wow .. That's where I spent my school days. Where is this car ? I still go to Asansol at times - albeit on a tight schedule.
Old 5th January 2007, 14:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yea 11L for a project car is ridiculous - how old was the charger? Depending on the condition of a muscle car in India - I would estimate between 5 to 8Ls.
This was a 69/70 Charger in let's just a poor state even though the owner had made all attempts to make it look good. Max I was ready to pay was 4-5L because I knew for a fact that to restore her I would have to completely strip her down & start working from the Chassis upwards. It would need full rust treatment, primer, bodywork, paintjob, suspension etc. Not to mention some work on the drivetrain too. In all she needed atleat 8-10L spent on her if not more & that simply did not make any sense to do with a car bought for 10-11L

Quote:
I know it sounds ludicrous but you can find some gems of automotive history in the most unlikely places. And for a bargain too!
Infact there are a lot of cars which are discovered for pennies in this manner at small places & kabariwallahs!! Sadly I can't do it either due to work issues

Quote:
I discovered a 1923 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost in Assansol once. The coach was one of 5 left in the world. It had a tree growing in the middle of the engine bay! Sad sad sight -
Sad I know but such is the state. I have a friend who has two Silver Ghosts but does not have the money to redo them but due to sentimental value refuses to sell them either since the cars have been with their families as they were the first owners. And mind you he's a very serious enthusiast who's taught me a lot about cars but still.

BTW I heard some months back that a late 20's/early 30's Non-Blower Bentley just got sold from the original owners for 70L. The car is in very good shape & still has the original paintwork!
Old 5th January 2007, 20:38   #19
BHPian

Hey Shuvc - Honestly - it was a long time ago - About 6 or 7 years ago. I had gone for a wedding to someone's house in Assansol and started talking to one of the family members about cars - he then took me to a dilapatated garage in the back of the house and that where I found her. I cant remember the address of the house for the life of me. If I come across it - I will PM it to you.

Ishan - I would definelty tell your friend to sell one Silver Ghost - He would easily get atleast a crore plus - I beleive the last fully restored Silver Ghost sold for a couple of million dolars or something close to that? With the money he has - he should spend about 50 or 60 lakhs to restore one car and then just keep it in storage and see the value appreciate.

Good pass on the Dodge. Classics - you just have to hold out till the right one comes along at the right price. I am not superstitous at all but it is destiny when you get the right car.
Old 8th January 2007, 23:36   #20
BHPian

Hey ShuvC - I just found out that the RR was sold for a cool 50Lakhs a few years ago - I am surprised the car fetched that much considering the tree growing through the engine bay and deplorable conditon of the car. But then again I guess it's a bargain since whoever restores it will probably create a value of 10 times that amount if not more. Also found out that this was the custom estate coach worked on by a scottish coachbuilder in the 20's - making this even rarer.

On my MB 190c front - I was wondering if someone here could help me. The tires are as slick as Schumacher's 248 F1. I don't want to put radials on her as it will increase drag and difficult to manover due to the lack of power steering. Anyone know where I could find original rubber tires - White walls would be great or regulars would work as well? Can anyone in India do a custom job of putting a set of 4 together? Here are the specs:
5JKx13 tyres:7,00-13.

GTO - do you have original rubber on your Jeep?

A4_Attitude - maybe you could ask Mr. Titus - where he gets his tires for his collection?

Thanks a ton guys!
Old 9th January 2007, 13:19   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

well, a custom set would be very difficult, ive been trying myself unsuccessfully...as far as i know, crossplies are manufactured in just 3-4 sizes...fiat (5.20 14), ambassador, 118 NE (5.60 13)...first 2 are available with whitewalls....ur best bet would be importing a set, though it can prove to be an expensive affair...surf the net, there are dozens of dedicated classic style tyre manufacturers abroad.
Old 9th January 2007, 17:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Great car V cash.
I have one too, a 1967 200 which is a prize winner in the VCCI rally here. Ill post pics soon. Also had a 200S auto which i gave away to a friend in pune as a parts car. I have a source who stocks origional parts of these oldies. PM me if u need anything and ill be glad to ask him if he has or can procure it for you.
Need a 114/4 and a 108 desperately if any of u guys have info about these please puhlease call me or pm me.. Have info about one in calcutta but if u hear what he's quoting, ull fall down.
Old 10th January 2007, 23:57   #23
BHPian

Thanks a lot V-16 and Karlosdeville for the advice. I checked online to find that whitewalls would set me back about $225 a pop plus about $200 shipping for each one - end cost plus importing headaches = Rs.75000 for 4 tires - at that cost it does not make sense - I need to souce something locally. The search continues.

P.S. V-16 sent you a pm.
Old 11th January 2007, 11:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

vcash and V-16 Coker Tire has a distributor in Bangalore. You could check them out. Below are the details available from their site : Coker Tire

7.25 x 13 - Coker Tire Company :: The Whole Garage :: Tires :: B.F.Goodrich® Vintage :: B.F.Goodrich Vintage Bias-Ply :: 725-13S B.F.GOODRICH BLACKWALL TIRE

Details
SKU 51280
Weight 31.00 lbs
Construction: 4 ply polyester
Load Capacity: 1360 @ 32 psi
Tube Type: Tubeless
Overall Diameter: 25.70
Cross Section: 7.25
Tread Width: 4.25
Tread Depth: 10
Max Inflation: 32
Emark No: 0218952
Price: $125.00

Bangalore Distributor :
Rushe Tyre Pvt. Ltd
Subramanyapura P.O.
Bangalore – 560061
INDIA
Tel: (91) 80 57605990
(91) 80 57605900
Fax:(91) 80 28601900
Email: info@rushtire.com
Old 11th January 2007, 11:38   #25
Team-BHP Support

Nice car, Vcash

I subscribe to a magazine in the UK called "Mercedes Enthusiast" Have every issue except the first one. Let me know if there is any specifc info required
Old 11th January 2007, 19:51   #26
BHPian

@ Gordon - Youre a genius! Thanks a ton man. Really appreciate it - Will call them soon.

Thanks Ajmat - I'll give you a heads up if I need any specific info.
Old 10th February 2007, 01:37   #27
BHPian

i had once come across that w111 series mercedes in bangalore, the car was in great shape all through except that it had a matador diesel engine, i would have bought the car for sure but then i was leaving bangalore, i think the reg no was MET 2200. black, i have pics too if anyone needs. they were asking for only 60,000 for the car! this was 3 yrs ago though!
Old 26th March 2007, 19:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

My fren's 1964 Mercedes 190 (110 series) at B'lore..its for sale..I wanted to go for it, but due to my short of parking space at my apartment I'm forced to drop the idea from my mind..

Last edited by hanmust : 26th March 2007 at 19:40.
Old 26th March 2007, 19:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hanmust the cars got a front of the 110 and the rear of the 111?? How come? changed the rear lights? These lights came only in the 111 series o fthe heckflosse ie 220 S and 220 SE and the 230 S and SE
Ive sent u a pm tough.

Last edited by V-16 : 26th March 2007 at 19:54. Reason: addition
Old 26th March 2007, 20:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Hanmust the cars got a front of the 110 and the rear of the 111?? How come? changed the rear lights? These lights came only in the 111 series o fthe heckflosse ie 220 S and 220 SE and the 230 S and SE
Ive sent u a pm tough.
I'm not sure..let me enquire with him & revert..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks