Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2007, 09:46   #1
BHPian

My 1963 MB 190C 'Heckflosse'

Hey Guys,

Thought I would share these pics with you. Shes a 1963 190C W110 - semi restored. I would like to start rebuilding her engine soon and then get to some body work and finally spruce up the interior. Maybe this will be my project for 2007-2008. For now enjoy the pics.

Old 4th January 2007, 10:10   #2
Team-BHP Support

WOW!!!

Great car...
Old 4th January 2007, 11:53   #3
BHPian

car already seems to me in a good working condition,,, I have client of mine who has maintained a complete meuseum known as daljit titus....
let me know if i can be any help in this
would love to...
Cheers
Wadhwa Ajay
Old 4th January 2007, 13:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice Car. Like everyone said it seems to be in pretty good condition already. BTW what does heckflosse mean? Also what are those two things in front of the front doors. Are they indicators?
Old 4th January 2007, 13:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wow the car looks nice & well kept too
Old 4th January 2007, 13:40   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Nice Car. Like everyone said it seems to be in pretty good condition already. BTW what does heckflosse mean? Also what are those two things in front of the front doors. Are they indicators?
Heckflosse = fin tail. Yes those are the indicators - precursor to the mirror indicators pioneered on the w220
Old 4th January 2007, 13:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Now, that is something called "Regal". Simple yet great looks!
Old 4th January 2007, 15:20   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Holy cow, that is a fabulously maintained benz! My fathers first Mercedes was a W111 220 fintail. Unfortunately it is nowhere as well-maintained as yours, hell I dont even know if it exists as the car was scrapped for parts. If you know of any running examples around, please do PM me. I would love to gift it to my father on his next birthday.

Old 4th January 2007, 15:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Wow! What a beauty! I can't take my eyes off her! How did you manage to keep her so spotless? Or is this a recent paint job?
Old 4th January 2007, 17:16   #10
BHPian

wow!!as they say "Old certainly is gold"
Old 4th January 2007, 20:10   #11
BHPian

Thanks for the compliments guys - she sure does appreciate it. The car has been in the family for the past 20years. Her last coat of silver paint came on in 1998 so the paint is close to 9 years old. Before that it was cream and prior to that - the original color was navy blue. The next coat - I will probably go back to the original color and interior trim - the seats were mock suede beige - right now she is upholstered in gray.

I know she looks pretty well kept - but I would like to bring her to show car standards. Off the top of my head these are the things I desperatley need to do:
1. Get Rubber linings for all door wells
2. The undercarrige / parts of the body has started to rust - need to fix this.
3. Original Aircon does not work - so right now there is a retrofitted compressor and blower.
4. Brakes are getting a little dicy.
5. Speedo and other gauges are tempramental.

I guess the rebuild and cosmetic enhancements can wait a few years. I really want to get the mechanicals in top order.

Thanks ajmat for educating everyone about the fintail and blinkers. You sure know your classic benz's.

GTO - I like the 220 in the pic. Years ago when I was looking for parts - I came across a car similar to yours in Pune that I was going to use as a donor car. I really dont have any leads on that so I am afraid I can't be off much help there. If I do come across something nice - I will PM you.

a4_attitude - Thanks for the offer for hooking me up with Mr. Titus. If the need arises, I will take you up on that.

I had another unique classic but unforunatley it was lost due to complicated circumstances. I hope to be able to retrieve it some day. It was a custom pre independence Go-Kart. It was fabricated by the british in India. Picture this: a Red metal frame with 4 scooter tires (Lambretta or something derived originally) and powered by a 250cc Jawa motorcycle engine and a 4 speed shifter jerry rigged to a fabricated steering wheel. She had a registration and was road permissble!!

My next goal is to add a nice muscle car and a Landy Defender to the collection in India and a Jag XK150 in the US (These gorgeous icons are going for over a $100K so I need to find something stashed in a barn in Podunk, Alabama with a senile owner that will sell me the car for a 12 pack and bag of cow feed! )

PS. GTO - where can I post questons to owners of Defenders in India? I had it in the super cars forums but It was removed as it was deemed inappropriate. Thanks.
Old 4th January 2007, 20:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wow that's a nice car & good plans for her future too Cash!! I'm sure you really enjoy her. I too am on the lookout for a nice Dodge Charger to restore & use occasionally but have had trouble finding a good one at the right price! Do let me know if you know of any coming along.

As for your questions about Defender's I think you can post them in the Technical Stuff section.
Old 4th January 2007, 20:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well Kept Car..

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I too am on the lookout for a nice Dodge Charger to restore & use occasionally but have had trouble finding a good one at the right price!
Nice Idea..

Mugen.
Old 4th January 2007, 21:36   #14
BHPian

Thanks Ishan - The dodge is a great idea! 70's muscle design is making a huge comeback - Case in point - the Stang, Challenger, Charger, Camaro et all. From a design perspective - I still prefer the original classic lines to the modern resurrections plus there is no sweeter sound then a high reving Big Block - Ideally if I could get a 67 Mustang GT or a 69 Boss 429 in India at the right price - I would snap that up. Out of curosity - where are you seeing these cars and how much is the average price?
Old 5th January 2007, 00:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Thanks Ishan - The dodge is a great idea! 70's muscle design is making a huge comeback - Case in point - the Stang, Challenger, Charger, Camaro et all.
Yup the new Camaro is a total hottie for me!! But yes retro is making a huge comeback with the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger & now the rumoured Corvette too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
From a design perspective - I still prefer the original classic lines to the modern resurrections plus there is no sweeter sound then a high reving Big Block - Ideally if I could get a 67 Mustang GT or a 69 Boss 429 in India at the right price - I would snap that up. Out of curosity - where are you seeing these cars and how much is the average price?
I too like the originals better simply for their rawness & character. Their imperfections are what makes them so lovely! And as for the V8 well they sound glorious, I was actually planning on putting on a straight through/open pipe exhaust system as & when I get my muscle car. Then I could show all the guys with the Headers & Free-Flows what true exhausts sounds are like

I had seen a few cars including one which really appealed & was a V8 with four on the floor. But she was in poor condition & needed a grounds-up rebuild even though it was in working condition. And the guy was asking 11L for it so I walked away without even bargaining with him. Another problem is that most muscle cars in India are the lower-powered versions with V6's & autos & that for me is a total turn-off. Of course we could always transplant a small or big block but that route is too much of a hassle!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks