Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2009, 12:35   #106
Senior - BHPian

My Suvega Deluxe 1981 is now road fit. Here is a pic of my last weekend drive.
The Suvega moped!-image205.jpg
Guys, I have known few suvegas (in full but as dismantled state) around 2.5 - 3K budget. Sorry this is not a sale thread however treat it as FYI.

The Suvega frame below is the first model produced by India Moped Ltd. The major difference could be seen from the rear mod guard which is distinctively covering the wheel like scooter.
The Suvega moped!-image182.jpg

Out of Topic:
Here is the original user manual cover of JAWA JET (Picture taken from one of my Orkut friend)
The Suvega moped!-jawajet.jpg
Old 22nd January 2009, 22:52   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mituadas View Post
In 1974 my father was having a Vicky 50cc/2 seater/how many gear i do not remembered but i am sure that it was having gears because kick start was there. I got similar type photo from net but not same one. Any body is having any other info pls let me know.
The Vicky 50 cc moped was made between 1965 and 1973 perhaps. its demand was more in smaller cities and towns where traffic moved at a slow pace. It was made with German collaboration and the plant was located just near Gwalior. One could see the factory while travelling by train on the Gwalior-Delhi route.The moped had three gears on the handlebar like scooters.
Its carburettor could be accessed from the slot (could be opened by a loosening a screw) just below the driver's seat. In the lower end it competed with the Suvega and Pearl Yamaha.The Lambretta 48 was discontinued in the very early 1960's.
mituadas-the picture you have posted is awesome with white wall tyres.In the late 1960's the white wall tyres gave way to normal tyres.
Old 31st January 2009, 00:56   #108
BHPian

i have finaly managed to source out a suvega left un used for many years will how much can i source this for !!!

please advice.

cheers

pradeep

Mod's Note: What is this "pls advs", again? Please start typing in full, complete words. We are pretty allergic to SMSey short cuts.

Post edited and spellings corrected.
Attached Thumbnails
The Suvega moped!-cimg0030.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2009, 08:50   #109
Senior - BHPian

[quote=bsa1955;1151897]i have finaly managed to source out a suvega left un used for many years will how much can i source this for !!!

please advice.

cheers

pradeep

Hi Pradeep,
I think you should be able to get it for less than 3 K.
Let me know of the outcome !
Any more of these from where this baby came from ?
Old 3rd February 2009, 23:37   #110
BHPian

@Trammway: Nice to see the effort that has gone into getting the Suvega to run. Well Done!!

Here are pictures of my latest acquisition. Yes, a Suvega!!!

This is a single owner 1979 Suvega 'Deluxe' that I picked up last week. This vehicle was used occassionally and starts in a single pedal even now. I rode it back home 18 km after taking delivery and had no issues apart from having to pedal once in a while. The engine and electricals seem to be in good shape. My Suvega has a lot of original stuff like Original Seat, Original Tail Lamp, Original Fuel Cap and the Petrol Tank amongst others that I am yet to find out. All these parts have 'M' badging/logo on them. 'M' stands for a French manufacturer, Motobecane under whose license, the Suvega was manufactured by Tirupathy based Mopeds India Limited in Inda. My Suvega also has the data plate rivetted to the engine head (oval plate seen in first picture).

I would like to thank PAVAN_KADAM (Raghavendra) without whose help I would not have been able to find this lovely classic. I would also like to thank Guderian for starting this thread and also all the team-bhpians for sharing some nostaligic memories and information of these now rare two-wheelers.

Apologies for the poor quality pics, will post better pictures when I get a chance.
Attached Thumbnails
The Suvega moped!-image224.jpg  

The Suvega moped!-image226.jpg  

Old 4th February 2009, 13:32   #111
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
will post better pictures when I get a chance.
Here you go

A 1976 Suvega with My 1983 Kinetic Luna

The last Suvega belongs to Brat 001, which will be on road soon after extensive restoration
Attached Thumbnails
The Suvega moped!-dsc07500.jpg  

The Suvega moped!-dsc07502.jpg  

The Suvega moped!-dsc07507.jpg  

The Suvega moped!-dsc07525.jpg  

The Suvega moped!-dsc07530.jpg  

The Suvega moped!-dsc07513.jpg  

The Suvega moped!-dsc07627.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 4th February 2009 at 13:40.
Old 6th February 2009, 10:22   #112
BANNED

Nice pick mate but tell me is she was able to pull you?
Shed some weight or handover this beauti to me LOL.
On serious note apart from cosmatic restoration, do a proper ignition upgrade as these old bikes mostly suffer from poor ignition system.

Last edited by Ajaybiz : 6th February 2009 at 10:23.
Old 6th February 2009, 16:42   #113
BHPian

@Pavan Kadam: Thanks for posting pictures of my Suvega. Slight correction in your post, it is a 1979 model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Nice pick mate but tell me is she was able to pull you?
Thanks Ajay, she is able to pull my weight except in some very steep inclines where I need to pedal to keep going.

Quote:
Shed some weight or handover this beauti to me LOL.
I know you have your eyes on my Suvega ever since I sent you the initial pictures before buying :-). When I get it to office someday, I'll warn our security guard about you.

Quote:
On serious note apart from cosmatic restoration, do a proper ignition upgrade as these old bikes mostly suffer from poor ignition system.
I will not start restoration of the Suvega as is atleast for another year as I need to complete the Willys first. Also, I like the way it looks - old and faded, yet presentable. The engine along with all its electricals seem to be in good shape, I am not sure though. I need to ride another Suvega and also show her to some old time mechanic before I know if my engine\electricals needs any work.

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 6th February 2009 at 16:44.
Old 6th February 2009, 23:33   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Guys, I have known few suvegas (in full but as dismantled state) around 2.5 - 3K budget.
Sorry for the late response, 'just noticed this post- any of these in reasonably restorable state? With papers? If so, I'd be interested in one.
Old 18th February 2009, 06:08   #115
Senior - BHPian

Guys, give me few more weeks to come up with the Suvega pictures that are dumped in my garage back in hometown. As I live in Chennai I go there once in a while, I'm sure all of the suvegas I got are restorable. Only thing they are in dismantled condition due to parking space.

Now coming to the Suvega thread, I got the old paper advertisement for Suvega. This image was sent by one of my Orkut friend. Enjoy.

Name:  suvega_ad.jpg
Views: 7787
Size:  75.2 KB
Old 18th February 2009, 12:24   #116
BHPian

Thanks Trammway for that advertisement, it cleared up a misconception that I had. I had earlier assumed and hence mentioned that 'M' stands for Motobecane. Your post has now cleared that, it stands for 'Mopeds India Limited' as seen in the advertisement.

Quote:
My Suvega has a lot of original stuff like Original Seat, Original Tail Lamp, Original Fuel Cap and the Petrol Tank amongst others that I am yet to find out. All these parts have 'M' badging/logo on them. 'M' stands for a French manufacturer, Motobecane under whose license, the Suvega was manufactured by Tirupathy based Mopeds India Limited in India.
Also, I see that some models do not have rear shock absorbers, but the Deluxe versions have them. So, could you also please post the differences between the various models of Suvega.
Old 4th March 2009, 14:02   #117
Senior - BHPian

I was searching for Mopeds India Limited and came across this thread(in tbhp) on wikipedia as an external link to suvega mopeds today:

Mopeds India Limited - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 4th March 2009, 20:36   #118
Senior - BHPian

While we discussing about Suvega, some interesting bit of information found in the internet.

The suvega dealer commisions during its days was Rs.110 - Rs. 165, Wow... There was legal case and the details of the case as mentioned in the link here.

MOPED INDIA LTD. versus THE ASSTT. COLLECTOR OF CENTRAL EXCISE, NELLORE & ORS
Old 5th March 2009, 20:51   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Trammway for that advertisement, it cleared up a misconception that I had. I had earlier assumed and hence mentioned that 'M' stands for Motobecane. Your post has now cleared that, it stands for 'Mopeds India Limited' as seen in the advertisement.

Also, I see that some models do not have rear shock absorbers, but the Deluxe versions have them. So, could you also please post the differences between the various models of Suvega.
:-) You are half way right !!!
Yes,before setting out all infrastructres at their unit, Mopeds India,imported ckd kits from their collabrator m/s MOTOBECANE of France and assembled it here ( Tirupathi........AP)
On such machine is what you see in here , yes its mine.
I got it from a Ex- Mopeds India management staff in bits & peices and restored it ( I was told that this was one amoung the moped swhich came from France.
"In these batches, you can a dees ( step) in the fuel tank to accomodate the tank mono gram, ( MONO GRAM with Motobecane logo not the " MI") and doesnt have screw hole to fix the badge as in the machines manufacterd in INDIA,instead it had adhesives in the alumium badge.
( if not under stood............will post some pics, some time next week, coz she's busy playing a role in a Tamil Movie " POkkisam"
& and fuel lid was also alloy, " with some thing engraved regarding Gas / oil mixture in FRENCH & engine badge was oval instead of round in " MI" product, that to details in french

Note from Mods : Please try to use punctuation properly and don't type in all bold. Take a look at this thread before continuing. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
The Suvega moped!-mymotobecane.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th March 2009 at 11:37. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 7th March 2009, 17:51   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
:-) You are half way right !!!
Yes,before setting out all infrastructres at their unit, Mopeds India,imported ckd kits from their collabrator m/s MOTOBECANE of France and assembled it here ( Tirupathi........AP)
On such machine is what you see in here , yes its mine.
I got it from a Ex- Mopeds India management staff in bits & peices and restored it ( I was told that this was one amoung the moped swhich came from France.
"In these batches, you can a dees ( step) in the fuel tank to accomodate the tank mono gram, ( MONO GRAM with Motobecane logo not the " MI") and doesnt have screw hole to fix the badge as in the machines manufacterd in INDIA,instead it had adhesives in the alumium badge.
( if not under stood............will post some pics, some time next week, coz she's busy playing a role in a Tamil Movie " POkkisam"
& and fuel lid was also alloy, " with some thing engraved regarding Gas / oil mixture in FRENCH & engine badge was oval instead of round in " MI" product, that to details in french

Note from Mods : Please try to use punctuation properly and don't type in all bold. Take a look at this thread before continuing. Thanks.
Really beautiful Suvega, brings back old memories.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks