Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2008, 12:30   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaygurav View Post
What's more info about this 50cc Jawa moped?? did ideal jawa produce these small machines?? Friends please provide some more info on this..............

I remember the Jawa moped but Karradi is a strange moniker to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Suvega? Brings me fond memories indeed!
But I also recollect Vicky and Hitodi---rivals to Suvega. Anybody remembers 'em?
I borrowed my grand-uncle's dilapidated Hitodi in Vizag when i landed up with my first job there. Damn thing needed to be pedalled half way, and had a habit of stopping right in front of the ladies' hostel.
Got rid of it soon, and bougt a brand new Lamby a year later, when I could afford it.
I first rode a Suvega what seems like a 100 years ago. Strange FROG machines, but an ancient Doc in Bangalore used his for ages- and it was totally reliable.

Hitodi was rarer. Dunno who made it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
I see this moped everyday at my Office scooter parking. A Sportif if i'm right? Please do correct me if I am wrong.

Not a Sportif, Sir. Sportif was made by Peugeot and my fly had one till we got our Honda Activa- it's now lingering at our mechanic's for 'sale'!

This looks like a Kinetic to me, but I can't get the model name. 3-speed and went pretty well. Someone in the thread mentioned Vicky: I used one that my Dad's office had circa 1978 and she was a wonderful ride though an ungainly, undignified looker. I serviced her myself too and getting the carb off from within the accomodating frame was a chore.

Anyone know/rode the Pearl Yamaha? In my opinion, it was a class leader...chaps raced them at Madras and they had quite an evocative exhaust byte.
Old 14th August 2008, 12:36   #62
Senior - BHPian

Suren..this is indeed the French marvel Peugeot Sportif...I would like to restore it Suren..please check if this is available for Sale?
Old 14th August 2008, 12:38   #63
Senior - BHPian

@ Suren181:

Wheels resemble like sportif. Few things like rear carrier/grip & chain cover seems to be from other vehicles (mostly Bajaj M80). Can you click photos from other angle as well.

@ netchef: Me too thinks it to be Kinetic, were you referring to Kinetic Safari or V2.
Old 14th August 2008, 13:08   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Not a Sportif, Sir.
How very true netchef, my bad. Here is the link to the sportif's advertisement posted elsewhere on this forum.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post932918

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Suren..this is indeed the French marvel Peugeot Sportif...I would like to restore it Suren..please check if this is available for Sale?
Ram, since it turns out that it is not a Sportif, you still want me to check? Will do so anyhow.

Last edited by suren181 : 14th August 2008 at 13:09.
Old 14th August 2008, 14:33   #65
BHPian

Here is my contribution to this thread. I shot these at a Vintage/Classic Rally held recently in Bangalore. The Suvega seems to be original except for those turn-signals. The last picture is of a Yezdi Colt 60 belonging to one of the spectators in the event.
Attached Thumbnails
The Suvega moped!-dsc03858_resized.jpg  

The Suvega moped!-dsc03871_resized.jpg  

The Suvega moped!-dsc03852_resized.jpg  

The Suvega moped!-dsc03873_resized.jpg  

Old 14th August 2008, 14:49   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Anyone know/rode the Pearl Yamaha? In my opinion, it was a class leader...chaps raced them at Madras and they had quite an evocative exhaust byte.
I suppose this is one of them? I spotted it at a garage in Pune.
Attached Thumbnails
The Suvega moped!-yamaha01.jpg  

The Suvega moped!-yamaha02.jpg  

Old 14th August 2008, 15:07   #67
BHPian

the little fella seems to be holding his ground with all those heavier bikes. He defenitely stands out amongst the newer bikes with an air of majesty.
Old 14th August 2008, 18:07   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see this moped everyday at my Office scooter parking. A Sportif if i'm right? Please do correct me if I am wrong.
That's a Kinetic Safari, the first motorised two wheeler that i rode on public roads illegally It's an automatic and quite peppy for it's size.
Old 14th August 2008, 21:03   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
That's a Kinetic Safari, the first motorised two wheeler that i rode on public roads illegally It's an automatic and quite peppy for it's size.
Sankar, you know what? You can still buy one brand new. The "Safari" moniker is out and it's just the V2 now. Check the link below.

Kinetic Showroom : Utility Vehicles : Luna

Hmmm... they call it an Utility Vehicle. The V2 80 seems good, but how I wish they (Kinetic) had their A.S.S. in place

Last edited by suren181 : 14th August 2008 at 21:04.
Old 14th August 2008, 21:17   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I suppose this is one of them? I spotted it at a garage in Pune.
Seeing a Pearl ymaha after a long long time- nice work karl
Old 14th August 2008, 21:52   #71
Senior - BHPian

Pearl Yamaha? Can anyone please give specs of this bike? Never heard of/ seen this bike before; want to know more!
Old 14th August 2008, 22:49   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Here is my contribution to this thread. I shot these at a Vintage/Classic Rally held recently in Bangalore. The Suvega seems to be original except for those turn-signals. The last picture is of a Yezdi Colt 60 belonging to one of the spectators in the event.
Also great to see a Suvega moped after a long long time - it reigned supreme in the moped world till the Luna was introduced by Kinetic Engineering.The Suvega moped was built under licence from MotoBecane of France.
The Yezdi Colt was mainly seen in advertisements and not many came on the roads.The Jawa Jet from this company - a 65 cc moped was popular in the 1960's.
Old 14th August 2008, 22:56   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero View Post
Pearl Yamaha? Can anyone please give specs of this bike? Never heard of/ seen this bike before; want to know more!
This was a 65cc geared moped sold in India from 1965 till I guess 1970-71 or so. Manufactured in Tamil Nadu with technology from Yamaha it was very contemporary for its times. The selling price was I believe Rs 3200=00, roughly the cost of a Lambretta Li150 or a Vespa (Bajaj 150) in those days.It came in a two tone colour- green and cream/light brown or black and cream.green was its signature colour.
Old 14th August 2008, 23:33   #74
BHPian

I have a faint idea of my grandpa owning Suvega, will try to get some info from him
Old 15th August 2008, 09:36   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sankar, you know what? You can still buy one brand new. The "Safari" moniker is out and it's just the V2 now. Check the link below.

Kinetic Showroom : Utility Vehicles : Luna

Hmmm... they call it an Utility Vehicle. The V2 80 seems good, but how I wish they (Kinetic) had their A.S.S. in place
The vehicle is still in production, I didn't know that!!

I see from the link that V2 is available in 50cc, 60cc and 80cc configurations; the Safari was a 60cc model.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks