Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2007, 03:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk View Post
hey ya.. got the front right brake hose blocked temp... to shift the car to my garage.. but.. the car was parked at my place for a day ,and the wheel now got completely jammed!!!
Sorry I did not get to browse thru this today.

Now even with a dry wheel cylinder if your fron right wheel was initially free and later got jammed, could indicate that the liner is dislodged of the metal caliper. Causing the wheel cylinder buckets to fail eventually.

With the front right hose blocked, did you get some pressure back on your brakes.

In that case, a temporary solution will be to get the liner pasted, and then procure the wheel cylinder bucket kit. Wouldn't be costly. But longevity of the solution is always questionable.
Old 18th October 2007, 10:16   #32
BHPian

hey 1100 d thanks.. well i guess i'll change the assembly at once and drive.. contemplating the overalll change to tvs girling.. lets see..
no more temporary work to the brakes.. makes the car very unreliable!
Old 18th October 2007, 10:21   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
no more temporary work to the brakes.. makes the car very unreliable!
So you see the light!

Its a very practical step to take, and in the long term the expense is certainly justified.
Old 18th October 2007, 11:20   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

One more thing could have happened. The liners are bonded to the shoes. Long time of non-use makes the bond brittle and the liner could have completely slipped off the shoe. Jack up the wheel and try to rotate it. If it does not turn AT ALL, then that's it.

Ronk - PLEASE DO NOT DO ANY HALF WORK ON BRAKES. JUST INSTALL A NEW BRAKES INDIA SYSTEM. NOW THE WHEEL CYLINDER IDs ARE ANACHROMED TO GIVE GOOD LIFE AND PERFORMANCE.

Remember - nothing else will work. Believe me, I know. Both my restored cars BLL4919 and MRY3112 have COMPLETELY NEW brakes.

Khatam !

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 19th October 2007, 00:48   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
One more thing could have happened. The liners are bonded to the shoes. Long time of non-use makes the bond brittle and the liner could have completely slipped off the shoe.
But wouldnt this be so only in case of the newer TVS shoes? The older liners would have been riveted to the shoes...
Old 19th October 2007, 12:03   #36
BHPian

thank you behram sir.. it's an honor to receive a reply from you..
yes.. i guess thats the most important issue.. hence the other work i guess will be postponed.. only brakes and a radiator service now because the car is over heating and the radiator water is whitish!
can someone tell me what range the temp gauge should be in for normal city use..? mine was reaching 90 recently..
Old 19th October 2007, 17:03   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

No problem on cooling system. Just replace the complete water. Open the bonnet and stand as you face the engine. You will see the distributor on YOUR right side (the car's left side if you are sitting in the driver's seat. Below this distributor on the cylinder block you will find the coolant drain plug. IF IT IS VERY TIGHT, DO NOT OPEN IT, IF IT BREAKS, YOU WILL HAVE A PROBLEM ON YOUR HANDS. Just remove the bottom hose, the radiator water will fall off, reconnect the hose with a new one with new clips and refill with fresh water only. Don't spend any money on coolant, it is not required. Only when the cooling system works perfectly, then I will guide you when to put coolant and what coolant to put. I AM NOT GUIDING YOU ON THE RADIATOR CAP BUT IT IS AN IMPORTANT PART OF THE CAR. DO SEND SOME PICTURES THOUGH.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 20th October 2007, 02:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Temp needle on our car stays between 60 to 70 (75 on a hot day) after intial warming up. Infact car pulls completely differently after reaching 60. However I do not know, how effectively the gauge is calibrated, I just use it as a means of monitoring if something is going amiss. So all you would need to observe is whether this stays stable at this level for your car over an extended period or the temperature rises as you drive further.
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:38   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Anirban (1100D) - between the two of us, we can start something called a CONSULTANCY FIRM FOR FIAT CARS.

Ronk - just go ahead and maintain your car. You just see how your car flies by the time we are through with it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 23rd October 2007, 15:36   #40
BHPian

haha thank you behram sir.. btw, would you know any good person to contact to get my car done in bangalore?? sometimes, i won't be able to oversee the repair work since i work 6 days a week .
the mechanic i take it too is closed on sundays, and is quite reluctant to let me do much on the car(he thinks people in the 'low income group' like me should not spend too much on old cars.!!), besides he doesn't seem to be able to source parts easily.. also, he's mainly into electricals.
only good bit is that he seems like a nice chap.. and reluctant to fleece..
Old 23rd October 2007, 16:00   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the mechanic i take it too is closed on sundays, and is quite reluctant to let me do much on the car(he thinks people in the 'low income group' like me should not spend too much on old cars.!!),
what? its your car and you gotto decide whether spending on such an old car is good or bad. - trust me you will not regret after spending - just make sure you use original parts and that the mechanic knows what he is doing.

Quote:
besides he doesn't seem to be able to source parts easily.. also, he's mainly into electricals.
only good bit is that he seems like a nice chap.. and reluctant to fleece..
he is into electricals - is he good with the mechanical part like brake job, etc.
Old 23rd October 2007, 16:01   #42
BHPian

Mechanic in Bangy

If you live in South Bangy, I can offer services of my mechanic..
Old 23rd October 2007, 16:36   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

First rule - as you do not know (you are not expected to know, so it is OK), the first rule is - don't do anything that is not required. Second rule - sit down on the computer and write down whatever you think is wrong and send it to me. I will guide you as if I am sitting next to you. Surprised ? No need to be. I know. I have helped scores of people like this, 1100D and planet rocker being recent examples.

For Bangalore contact, you can call on Mr.Sanathkumar, he used to work for Vijay Auto as their works manager (M&M dealer) but has recently left. Get his contact, tell him I told you and let him talk to me. I know very few people in Bangalore, he knows what he does. As far as others are concerned, ------ !

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 24th October 2007, 03:06   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and is quite reluctant to let me do much on the car(he thinks people in the 'low income group' like me should not spend too much on old cars.!!),
Sort of Deja Vu. I can relate to every word you said. To be honest the real story is different. It has nothing to do with an old car or its associated maintenance. A well/correctly maintained old car does not need more attention than any of the new ones.

Ever since I got my Ikon, you would be surprised at the kind of money that was involved, even in the warranty period. But then the car has been put thru a substantial use.

The real story is, that most mechanics earn by a way of commisions for parts purchased and they usually do a quick customer profiling based on the car thats brought in and charge them differently for labour. Infact, I thought this was plain crap, but my Dad told me. So we verified it.

Dad Took the Fiat to a garage to get an estimate on oil-change and Tuning. A few days later I went to the same guy with the Ikon for estimates for oil-change and "tuning" (he he , what Tuning there is to do on a Computer controlled MPFI car?). I was surprised how much more my estimates were. That too there isn't any more complexity involved in the Ikon for doing the oil-change job.

So dont get disheartened. However, try making friends with the spanners screwdrivers and the feeler gauges.
Old 24th October 2007, 11:23   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Well said Anirban - the best work is done when you do it yourself. So Ronk, be ready ----- and send me that wishlist !

By the way Anirban - the monsoon is out of Nasik, so yesterday on a cool and very pleasant evening, I took out MRY3112 for filling petrol, air and then for a short spin (it was put inside a closed garage on 01 June this year). At least 50 people in Nasik admired the car and one guy asked - "bechneka hai kya" ? My answer was the same - NOT FOR SALE AT ANY PRICE TO ANYBODY AT ANY TIME. My day was made. Which modern car gives you this feel ?

NONE. QED.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks