Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2007, 11:41   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
(it was put inside a closed garage on 01 June this year). At least 50 people in Nasik admired the car and one guy asked - "bechneka hai kya" ? My answer was the same - NOT FOR SALE AT ANY PRICE TO ANYBODY AT ANY TIME. My day was made. Which modern car gives you this feel ?
a bit off-topic:

AFAIK - Anirban's fiat was rarely used since April 07 and it stays inside a closed garage aswell. Mr. Dhabhar - whenevr you come to Kolkata check out his fiat - she looks gorgeous (IMO one of the most beautiful fiats in India - since i have seen and felt her in person). *touchwood*

My grandfather's ecu is not working properly - i need to get hold of his 87 fiat (the car has not crossed the 40K mark on the odo) - Because there is no point in selling the car / keeping the car with someone who doesnt even care about the car & doesnt understand the value of owning a fiat. talking about my fiat - she stays with me all through my life.

IMO it will not be fair to compare a fiat (read: 1100d / PPs) with any of the modern cars. a Fiat and a Baleno (since i like both) stands apart with different values attached with each of them

Last edited by planet_rocker : 24th October 2007 at 11:42.
Old 24th October 2007, 13:20   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear planet rocker - I know Anirban's car and your car in Kolkata. Do send me your grandfather's 87 model car's photographs on my E mail ID. You know what my E mail ID is.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 24th October 2007, 13:57   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post

My grandfather's ecu is not working properly - i need to get hold of his 87 fiat

What happened to your grandfathers ecu??, and would taking away his fiat help??
Old 24th October 2007, 15:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
What happened to your grandfathers ecu??
My grandfather is almost 88+ years old and his "ECU" is malfunctioning (read: old age is taking toll) in the sense like - sometimes he cant recognise me that i am his grandson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
and would taking away his fiat help??
definitely - atleast the Fiat will be taken care of properly and hopefully used more regularly than before. Plus he will not have to worry about his car (which he rarely used) and that in turn will put less stress on his ECU.

i am going way too - i think i will stop now - PERIOD.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 24th October 2007 at 15:42.
Old 24th October 2007, 21:25   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(IMO one of the most beautiful fiats in India - since i have seen and felt her in person).
Please, please refrain from making such comments. My intent of putting my car up on the forum was to attract like minded Fiat/1100d/padmini lovers. So that there is a common forum to discuss the car down to every nut. Thats where people like Mr Dhabar and Karl come in with their tremendous knowledge. I want all Fiats in India to be equally good/best, showcasing the beauty and charm of this little lovely car. Not to start a battle of who's is better. Even this car on the thread will one day be the best. As far as our car goes (its "our" car rather than mine, as I did not earn it, only inherited it), it could use some help from the King Dhabar (Infact his take on other aspects of life is equally value adding and thought provoking, but depends on whether one would like to work up the mind).

Quote:
a Fiat and a Baleno (since i like both) stands apart with different values attached with each of them
Now where does a Baleno come in this. Why specifically a Baleno for that matter? Why not an Octavia, a Lancer, a Magnum or a Santro.They appeal to an entirely different sensibility.

Quote:
My grandfather is almost 88+ years old and his "ECU" is malfunctioning (read: old age is taking toll) in the sense like - sometimes he cant recognise me that i am his grandson.
"Arre yeh to kuchch bhi nahi!" My Granddads ecu is so messed up he cant even recall his name!!

Last time I heard him talk sense, he said "phlee phlo"!

No matter these are going OT, its enjoyable in every right.

Last edited by 1100D : 24th October 2007 at 21:31.
Old 27th October 2007, 13:42   #51
BHPian

hi guys.. well i think my mechanic is over charging me.. gave the car for brake repair.. he's saying brakes india - 450 per wheel cylinder, and the master is some 1500 or something.. that would make the entire chageover cost reach 4k.. somethin i just can't afford now.
besides, he's changing the fuel tank float assembly(rs 250), and radiator service - acid wash, hose change with clamps (rs. 400)..
well can someone please confirm whether these rates are fine?
thanks

Last edited by ronk : 27th October 2007 at 13:50.
Old 27th October 2007, 13:49   #52
BHPian

behram sir, i have sent you a pm
Old 27th October 2007, 14:37   #53
Senior - BHPian

wheel cylinders cost around 375/- in kolkata, the master cylinder costs around 1000/-, 2 pairs of brake shoes (2 oversized for front & 2 standard for the rear) will cost 500/-. try changing the front two cylinders first and then the rear. go step by step - thats what i did and am still doing the same.

the price should be a bit less in mumbai if i am not wrong. do check out few shops in mumbai that stocks fiat spare parts. or get in touch with either Mr. Dhabhar / Karl - i am sure they will be able to help you out.

try to be present at the time of purchasing the spare parts.

@ 1100D - Ravi Auto (Distrubutor of PAL), Kolkata still has OE parts of Padminis (thats what Mr. S.K.Changia, Exec. Director, Ravi Auto told my dad) - once you are back - we can go check out the spares (if at all the news is true)

Last edited by planet_rocker : 27th October 2007 at 14:43.
Old 27th October 2007, 19:06   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Ronk - I have replied to you. If you do not recieve 9I am not very good at using team BHP yet), please do get in touch on private message again.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 28th October 2007, 20:28   #55
BHPian

hey rocker.. yup thanks.. im in bangalore and guess its more expensive here.. mumbai would def have been better!!
as far as getting back to cal.. well i guess that wouldn't be very soon.. around feb or simethin i gues.. but i would love to go part hunting with you.. will get in touch.
got 350 buck brake cylinder fit, actually 175 pls brake oil etc.. had given radiator for service..
well, the cooling problem is fixed.
but the car still pulls to the right while braking.
the same burnt oil smell too keeps coming from the right front wheel.. which is gettin more heated than others, but marginally.. it was way worse before the failure.

car seems lil sluggush.. slight delayed throttle response.
There is a distinct petrol smell from the exhaust.
mechanic suggested tuning. well i need to look for a good tuner.

Will get my engine oil changed next as per Sir behram's instructions.

Oh one more thing, somehow feel my front wheels are lil too close to arch.. have taken coupla of pics of the car, will update soon..this week.

Plan to take it on the teambhp drive to nandi hills next sunday. . till the base ofcourse. lets see..
falling in love slowly but surely!! ofcourse it's lil bit of a pain to drive in the city. but um sure it'll become better with time.. and it's beautifull on empty stretches... plus the experience with the car is just amazing.. it's like a relationship.. its not like a deal!!!
Old 29th October 2007, 00:06   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk View Post
got 350 buck brake cylinder fit, actually 175 pls brake oil etc..
did you just changed the front right wheel cylinder? did the mechanic clean the present brake shoes & drums with the sandpaper thingy?

Quote:
had given radiator for service..
well, the cooling problem is fixed.
thats a good news. But my radiator went kaput today - its leaking - the hose pipes seem OK.

Quote:
but the car still pulls to the right while braking.
the same burnt oil smell too keeps coming from the right front wheel.. which is gettin more heated than others, but marginally.. it was way worse before the failure.
now that you have new cylinders do a simple test:

...jack up the front wheels and see if the wheels are rolling uniformly....without stopping abruptly...then give each wheel a roll apply brake to make it slow down but not come to a stop.....then check if the wheel is rolling freely to a stop on account of bearing friction only.

Doing this yourself is going to be difficult for the left wheel, but a gentle tug on the brakes is what Iis required - and whatever you do on the right wheel note the amount of pressure needed for the job....then apply the same pressure for the left wheel. However you will need another person as the wheel movement is better for you to watch rather than anyone else

Quote:
car seems lil sluggush.. slight delayed throttle response.
There is a distinct petrol smell from the exhaust.
mechanic suggested tuning. well i need to look for a good tuner.
if you need a tuner - either go to the person whom Mr Dhabhar suggested or get help from the Bangy Fiat owners/lovers - SEE THIS (Orkut)

Quote:
Oh one more thing, somehow feel my front wheels are lil too close to arch.. have taken coupla of pics of the car, will update soon..this week.
please upload the pics - how old are the suspension kits?

Quote:
falling in love slowly but surely!! ofcourse it's lil bit of a pain to drive in the city. but um sure it'll become better with time.. and it's beautifull on empty stretches... plus the experience with the car is just amazing.. it's like a relationship.. its not like a deal!!!
you will fall in love madly - dont worry
Old 29th October 2007, 20:14   #57
BHPian

hi.. well, getting my oil changed now.. really black..
as per mechanic.. i need 4.5 ltr oil, new filter.. he's asking me to get an engine flush too..
according to him.. oil~rs 800, (suggestin castrol GTX, but i guess i'll put ELF SPORTI as suggested by behram sir.) filter Rs. 110.. and flushing oil 350.
as before i need a confirmation on whether the rates quoted are fine? anyways, i'll be going with him to purchase most probably.. also can i do this myself?
btw, got my self a set of spanners 12-19, screw driver set, and a wrench small.. all for 100!! what else would be needing as i start gettin my hands dirty?
Old 29th October 2007, 20:34   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Ronk - you are doing great - the tools you must have are - open ended spanners in metric size - 6/7, 8/9, 10/11, 12/13, 14/15, 16/17, 18/19, 20,22. Ring spanners - same sizes as open ended spanners. Screw driver - must be TAPARIA make only, capable of using + or - ends (green handle, reversible blade), Pliers - must be TAPARIA make only - 6 inches size with rad insulator coating on the handles. Make a working light out of a 12V bulb and a socket. Use an old torch as a handle. Remove the torch's original bulb, throw it out and assemble the wires in it. Use the battery to power your working light.

This much is OK to start. Keep some band-aid in your wallet. You will hurt yourself and it will come handy. Now start getting your hands dirty, see how much money you will save.

Keep a piece of cloth to wipe your hands and then keep it below the driver seat. It is a very comfortable place to keep and handy to get when you want it.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2007, 22:11   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Ronk - you are doing great - the tools you must have are - open ended spanners in metric size - 6/7, 8/9, 10/11, 12/13, 14/15, 16/17, 18/19, 20,22. Ring spanners - same sizes as open ended spanners. Screw driver - must be TAPARIA make only, capable of using + or - ends (green handle, reversible blade), Pliers - must be TAPARIA make only - 6 inches size with rad insulator coating on the handles. Make a working light out of a 12V bulb and a socket. Use an old torch as a handle. Remove the torch's original bulb, throw it out and assemble the wires in it. Use the battery to power your working light.

This much is OK to start. Keep some band-aid in your wallet. You will hurt yourself and it will come handy. Now start getting your hands dirty, see how much money you will save.

Keep a piece of cloth to wipe your hands and then keep it below the driver seat. It is a very comfortable place to keep and handy to get when you want it.

May I ask why Taparia only?! I use stanley, it works!!
Old 29th October 2007, 22:17   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

the car still pulls to the right while braking.....

the same burnt oil smell too keeps coming from the right front wheel.. which is gettin more heated than others, but marginally..
All of these are connected. The Shoe to Drum clearance on the front axle is not equal. Infact your right wheel shoe is still making contact with the drum.

Might not be when the hub is cool, however with usage the pad may be expanding due to heat to jam the wheel.

You did not mention the repair work that was done on this wheel.

Quote:
it was way worse before the failure.
You are on your way to another!

Last edited by 1100D : 29th October 2007 at 22:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks