Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2014, 13:28   #766
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Left Hand Drive Fiat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordDodo View Post
Sounds good BD! While you plan to give a nice makeover, do you intend to use it too or again hibernate?! I notice most of your FIATs are always hibernated. I wonder how can you resist from using them regularly. Another fact is, we sometimes spend more money for maintaining a car under hibernation than we spend if we use them regularly.
Dear FordDodo - thanks for asking. There is a valid reason. My classic cars, in particular the LHD MH01YA3238 and the super select MRY3112 are obtained and restored for preserving them forever. As time goes by, no parts will be available and therefore these cars are not supposed to be used on a regular basis. However, I recently used my super select to take part in the recently held veterans' rally from Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar on the 29th of November. I drove very fast also, just like I used to do in my rally cars in the good old days of rallying 30 years back, but such instances are few. As soon as the LHD gets completed and gets parked safely, I will take out my 1967 model 1100D (MRF6466) out of hibernation in Nasik and use it regularly. However, before using it regularly, I will remove the original bumpers and the grille and I will put Padmini parts. This is to protect the original Italian parts from the vagaries of the numerous idiots who also use our roads. You will appreciate that "one dent and it's over". Even if the guy says sorry (which is unlikely, most of them will show-off their ego and create nuisance), the damage would have been done. Those bumpers and grille may not be precious for others, but they are very precious for me, so I do not take any chances. Further, as a discipline, I just don't take my cars out in the rainy season at all because water accelerates corrosion and the roads are full of muck. I maintain this discipline to preserve my cars forever. .

By the way, what's your take on the color? I am still confused. HELP! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 14:01   #767
BHPian

My take would be Dove Grey of Tata. Simply because MH has enough of Black Fiats as taxis and grey would be a welcome change. And currently for new cars, grey is one of the favorite colors.

Waiting for the FIAT's restoration thread. Start one asap Sir!
Old 19th December 2014, 22:06   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Choice of car color and trim color: there is so much discussion going on around the color that I am going absolutely crazy! Finally, for the full car, I have zeroed in on "Ebony Black" (Hyundai) or "Dove Grey" (Tata). I may finally consider not going in for black wheels and black top (in case of grey) this time. Within these color combinations, please let me know your comments on the car color and the matching seats / trim color. I want it to look understated but absolutely stunning! Maybe I will get the clue to the exact thing that I want.

I think that this thing will take at least a couple of months to complete. So, await the surprise guys!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Possible options -

(a) Iron Grey
(b) Ash blue
Attached Images

Old 20th December 2014, 14:07   #769
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Anirban - thanks for your recommendations but I need to choose between ebony black and dove grey only. Black with red seats will look superb but then I have to keep the wheels also black only which is not such a great idea. Black with cream seats will look classy and I can do the wheel rims cream which will look superb. Grey with existing black seats will look nice but subdued and I'll save on cost because there is nothing wrong with the seats as they are now. I don't really know if grey with red seats will look good. Irrespective of the seats color, the roll cage cover will be black only. I need to take this decision by tomorrow. I guess it will all depend on the fabric material that I will get.

1100D thin bumpers were fitted to see the alignment, holes are made in the rear side panels for the side supports, the bumpers have aligned perfectly, they are removed and stored for now. The front doors have been changed, all locks and glass winders are removed for complete overhauling. Lock operation for LHD is reverse of RHD, opening is downwards. Body sheet metal preparation is in process.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 12:01   #770
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Anirban - thanks for your recommendations but I need to choose between ebony black and dove grey only. Black with red seats will look superb but then I have to keep the wheels also black only which is not such a great idea. Black with cream seats will look classy and I can do the wheel rims cream which will look superb. Grey with existing black seats will look nice but subdued and I'll save on cost because there is nothing wrong with the seats as they are now. I don't really know if grey with red seats will look good. Irrespective of the seats color, the roll cage cover will be black only. I need to take this decision by tomorrow. I guess it will all depend on the fabric material that I will get.
Sir,
I would go with "Grey with existing black seats will look nice but subdued and I'll save on cost because there is nothing wrong with the seats".

Quote:
1100D thin bumpers were fitted to see the alignment, holes are made in the rear side panels for the side supports, the bumpers have aligned perfectly, they are removed and stored for now. The front doors have been changed, all locks and glass winders are removed for complete overhauling. Lock operation for LHD is reverse of RHD, opening is downwards. Body sheet metal preparation is in process.
Would love to see the final product.
Old 24th December 2014, 10:50   #771
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertillidie View Post
"Grey with existing black seats will look nice but subdued and I'll save on cost because there is nothing wrong with the seats". Would love to see the final product.
Dear Anirban - my thoughts on the progress. Although there was absolutely nothing wrong with the black seats and I could have saved a lot of cost, I finally splurged and bought the red seat material. I always wanted one car with red seats, so what the hell, I just went ahead and bought it. It has cost me slightly less than an atom bomb but I guess it's a one time investment as the car will be kept forever. Short of going in for genuine leather, this is the best material available in Mumbai, the shop was recommended by my dear friend who knows this business of customization inside out. I have also bought thick black carpet material, which has very good rigidity and therefore it will drape perfectly. My tailor will stitch it properly and then it will be fitted with M6*1.0 size fasteners to locate it permanently on the floor panel. I'll have to guide him all the way.

Now that the seats will be red, I have zeroed in on the car color as non-metallic "Tata Dove Grey - Detail 5" from Dupont with clear coat application on it. With all the fittings as mentioned (I still need to get the bumpers machine polished), I feel that the car will look very period and elegant. As of now, the wheel rims are of the Padmini, I will paint these also in the same grey color. As I have a lovely set of super select wheels with me, already painted in silver color, I'll fit the whitewall tires on the silver wheels and then compare both the options, will retain what looks the best.

I guess it will take a month more to complete everything. Cost has completely overshot the budget but I guess that was inevitable. My better half is keeping quiet, it's the camn before the storm I guess! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 24th December 2014, 11:42   #772
BHPian

Quote:
I have also bought thick black carpet material, which has very good rigidity and therefore it will drape perfectly. My tailor will stitch it properly and then it will be fitted with M6*1.0 size fasteners to locate it permanently on the floor panel. I'll have to guide him all the way.
Look forward to it sir.
Based on the outcome, even I might decide to follow suit.

I have been holding back due to two reasons -

(a) Every time the car goes for a wash, there is ingress of a significant amount of water & mud inside the vehicle. Ensuring cleanliness of the carpet would be a major chore.

(b) What gets passed off as "lamination" locally is actually several pieces of PU foam stitched together in a very crude manner. Frankly, I didn't like the end result.
Old 21st January 2015, 16:50   #773
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - I am a little surprised at the relative lack of response from you guys on this thread. I take it that this is not the result of lack of interest, but that you are waiting to see the end result. Well, the car has been painted and is under trimming now. I'll post the photographs soon.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 21st January 2015, 17:10   #774
BHPian

Waiting for the pictures sir! (Silent reader here.)
Divya Sharan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 18:43   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear all - I am a little surprised at the relative lack of response from you guys on this thread. I take it that this is not the result of lack of interest, but that you are waiting to see the end result. Well, the car has been painted and is under trimming now.
Not that interest is lost and the fact is that a thread also go to hibernation if regular posts are not added by bhpians.
I am also an avid reader and follower of this LHD Fiat.
Waiting for the pictures.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 22:13   #776
BHPian

Interest is always there, only thing missing are the pictures!!! Behram's FIAT posts, how can it be of no interest yaar.
FordDodo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 18:43   #777
BHPian

A funny incident happened a few days ago.
I went on a trip to buy some parts for my PP S1.
I happened to see the LHD fiat in question and hence called Behram

Soon after that i went to my scrap wala and enquired about the horn ring i had asked him to source, he says "arrey saabh, kal hi Dhabhar ji ne aake le gaye"
I strated laughing,
Behram, now you have to help me source another horn ring :P

Last edited by karlosdeville : 28th January 2015 at 10:34. Reason: On request
Old 24th January 2015, 10:14   #778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
A funny incident happened a few days ago.
I went on a trip to sion koliwada to buy some parts for my PP S1.
I happened to see the LHD fiat in question and hence called Behram

Soon after that i went to my scrap wala and enquired about the horn ring i had asked him to source, he says "arrey saabh, kal hi Dhabhar ji ne aake le gaye"
I strated laughing,
Behram, now you have to help me source another horn ring :P
Dear Shom - good one there I say! With months of continuous reminders, follow-ups and with great difficulty I managed to source one horn ring last week. It goes on the LHD. However, I will keep my eyes open, if I get another one, I'll give it to you. .

Dear all - the car is scheduled to come home tomorrow. As I am not much of a photographer, I'll try and take some photographs on my iPhone and post them.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 13:58   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
Waiting for the pictures sir! (Silent reader here.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordDodo View Post
Interest is always there, only thing missing are the pictures!!! Behram's FIAT posts, how can it be of no interest yaar.
Quote:
Dear all - the car is scheduled to come home tomorrow. As I am not much of a photographer, I'll try and take some photographs on my iPhone and post them.
Nah- I wouldn't bother with the pics. I've got 'em. ().

Ladies and gentlemen, say hi to MH01YA/3238's new avatar-

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-mh01ya-3238.jpg

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-mh-01-ya.jpg

The red () interior is very evident. But- the upholstery has been wrapped around the rollcage (!?). I'm not quite sure I like that.

That said- This one is the ultimate sleeper. And looks like an LHD 1100D- to be woefully honest. The rollcage gives it away. And the number as well. Well done- I'll say. Wheelcaps missing, but final tuning is still left, I'll guess.

More can be followed by keen eyed observers here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post3631518
FINTAIL is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 14:50   #780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Nah- I wouldn't bother with the pics. I've got 'em. ().

Ladies and gentlemen, say hi to MH01YA/3238's new avatar-

Attachment 1332787

Attachment 1332788

The red () interior is very evident. But- the upholstery has been wrapped around the rollcage (!?). I'm not quite sure I like that.

That said- This one is the ultimate sleeper. And looks like an LHD 1100D- to be woefully honest. The rollcage gives it away. And the number as well. Well done- I'll say. Wheelcaps missing, but final tuning is still left, I'll guess.

More can be followed by keen eyed observers here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post3631518

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-imageuploadedbyteambhp1422263969.245084.jpgMy Left Hand Drive Fiat.-imageuploadedbyteambhp1422263989.938526.jpgMy Left Hand Drive Fiat.-imageuploadedbyteambhp1422264010.048537.jpg
kasli is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks