Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2009, 09:36   #721
Senior - BHPian

Thank You Mr Behram. I have traversed the entire postings on your LHD padmini and it made intersting reading. I could not find ( read perhaps I missed ) the prelude to the purchase. How you located Mr Kurian and the car. Kindly jott those also down whenever you could find time. Thasnks again.

Rajeev
Old 30th September 2009, 11:44   #722
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Rajeev - that's simple, I was on the lookout for an LHD fiat for quite some time. There was MRY9501 (President's LHD) in Mumbai but the asking price was very high so I did not buy it. There was MMF2567 (Kulkarni's LHD) in Mumbai but it was in very bad shape and the asking price was also high. Then there were MRZ3618 (Salil Phanse's 1963 LHD), MHU6620 (Sam William's 1957 LHD), Dr.Pant's 1963 LHD all in Pune and nobody was willing to sell them. Karl Bhote (Karlosdeville) knew that I was looking for an LHD. He searched far and wide (eternal thanks to him) and found Mr.Kurian in Kottayam. He sent me the photographs and the contact number. The rest is all known. He has also told me that amongst all the LHD fiats in India, mine is the only one made in PAL Kurla, exported and reimported into India. That makes it exceptionally unique.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2009, 12:36   #723
Senior - BHPian

Till last year there were two PAL Padminis to be seen regularly in Abu Dhabi. One I saw sometime back being trucked to the scrap yard.

Maybe the one that is with the scrap guys would be interesting for someone to have returned to Inidia.
Old 30th September 2009, 13:04   #724
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to get to know about the two cars or is it that the scrap guy has already crushed it. I am interested to know and get it if possible.
Old 30th September 2009, 18:11   #725
BHPian

Rajeev,

There is a LHD SS (black) in Hyderabad. However the owner is unwilling to sell it, however the owner's father quotes the price as 1.5 Lakhs
Old 30th September 2009, 19:52   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
[b][u] You will get a completely different feeling when you see a sparkling clean glass without anything on it. I know that there are sticklers for originality out there but I am not one of them. I do up my car "exactly the way I want it". Period. Thank you for appreciating the efforts. It is one hell of an assignment, doing something like this alongwith a normal job also. I have restored 4 of my cars, it is very tiring and frustrating at times but in the end, it's all worth the effort.

Dear all - the monsoon is receeding, time for BLL4919, MRF6466 and MH01YA3238 to come out of hibernation.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Dear Behram- I completely agree with you. there is nothing more satisfying than washing the car yourself and make it spanking clean. Never told before but, every sunday 4035 used to bathe with two buckets of water, one just for rinsing and a fresh turkish towel to get her absolutely dry. And yes used to carefully wipe the inner side of rear windscreen so as to not get the 13 year old Starline sticker wet and peeling.

Will they all line up Jame ... ?
Old 6th October 2009, 18:27   #727
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Kavesh - just when I thought the monsoon had receeded, it has started raining again. So I wait. Also, I really wish "they line up Jame ---". However, it is not to be due to the whims and fancies of one guy who has tormented me for the last 18 years and one month to the day today. Unfortunate but a true fact of life. I live with hope and I hope good sense will prevail one day. I have been told many times by many to forget it but my nature prevents me from forgetting.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 6th October 2009 at 18:28. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2010, 18:55   #728

Its been a LONG LONG time since this thread was active. Anyways, LHD is going to be participating in a Car show which is a PArt of the Festival of Spring Ceremonies in Dadar Parsi Colony and she is going to get the Full Rally Treatment, Decals et all!! I have already started basic Decaling, The Competetion number and the Logos will come soon.

Shall keep you all updateD!
Old 8th March 2010, 18:58   #729
Senior - BHPian

Wow Cyrus!!

Finally we can see the LHD in an Avatar that suites it best.
Old 8th March 2010, 22:48   #730

The Work has already started. Cant Disclose certain details just yet, As I plan it as a Surprise for Some people. No prises for guessing who!
Old 9th March 2010, 01:27   #731
Senior - BHPian

Dear all - just thinking loud, how about converting my left hand drive as follows - Black colour with Fiat 1100 delight trim, thin bumpers (I have a set), aluminium grille (I have it), quarter windows in the front doors (I have the doors), Fiat clip-on type wheel rims (I have the wheel rims), with fiat wheel caps (I have the wheel caps), thin steering wheel and instrument console, all painted in the classic cream colour (I think it can be painted, Amol has done it and it seems to be working) with cream coloured seats but again without the white sidewall tyres. The scoop on the bonnet will go (I have spare bonnets) and the roll cage will be covered in black leather trim. Do let me know.

Can some of you please photoshop this?

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Rajeev k - To answer your query, I like my cars to be completely devoid of any sticker except our Zoroastrian "Asho Farohar" (what others refer to as the "Flying Bawaji" or the "Winged Angel"), so I removed all stickers. Do it and then wash the car yourself. You will get a completely different feeling when you see a sparkling clean glass without anything on it. I know that there are sticklers for originality out there but I am not one of them. I do up my car "exactly the way I want it". Period. Thank you for appreciating the efforts. It is one hell of an assignment, doing something like this alongwith a normal job also. I have restored 4 of my cars, it is very tiring and frustrating at times but in the end, it's all worth the effort.

Dear all - the monsoon is receeding, time for BLL4919, MRF6466 and MH01YA3238 to come out of hibernation.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I totally agree to you sir, the car would look awesome with the above mentioned work on it. Cream colour steering and meter console WOW!! then what about the rims sir will they be two tone colour on them?
What about tail lamps then? would it be of a Delite again?

I have the similar wish which I wanted to do it on my PP 1990 model the Quarter glass, delite bumpers etc but unfortunately delite bumper were just missed but droped the idea of quarter glass due to the worry that I might spoil the car but now will stick to this thread and follow your conversion and get that done to my car.

I also agree to the point of your how painful and frustating be sometimes it can be restoring the car/bike while have a job, I neither could spend time with the vehicle or could concentrate at work, it a multi tasking where we most of the time I failed on both ends. But All the very best to you sir. Please do post the update on regular intervals, I am eager to see the pics and updates.
Old 9th March 2010, 05:29   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chanu:
I have the similar wish which I wanted to do it on my PP 1990 model the Quarter glass, delite bumpers etc but unfortunately delite bumper were just missed but droped the idea of quarter glass due to the worry that I might spoil the car but now will stick to this thread and follow your conversion and get that done to my car.

Behram Sir has got half a dozen Padminis'. So he can experiment with them.

Since you have only one, better don't Delight it.

I too wanted to Delight my Padmini and collected hell lot of parts for 6 months. In the end I decided not to convert. Instead I will now convert my second Padmini to Delight and keep my good old family Padmini to its original Economy style.
Old 9th March 2010, 10:58   #733
Senior - BHPian

[quote=arun1100;1772320]
Behram Sir has got half a dozen Padminis'. So he can experiment with them.

Since you have only one, better don't Delight it.

Valid point Arun, I have another option but not sure how far it works, either get a Delite someday (I am serious about it) or One of my uncle above 70yrs has a original 85 Padmini which he still runs it and he was willing to give it to me its just that he drives once or twice in every week and thats the only car for now at home. Either ways I will have my wish fulfilled someday. Thanks Arun once again.
Old 9th March 2010, 23:44   #734

Was waiting for Dad to comment here, but nonetheless. Expect new things on the LHD soon. Will keep everyone posted. Alot of Ideas running through my head as we speak. Of course, This is all After that car show that I was talking about!
Old 15th March 2010, 12:32   #735

I know its a low res picture, but nonetheless!!
Attached Thumbnails
My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-23686_10150157167820111_506485110_11520035_1378241_n.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-23686_10150157210895111_506485110_11520539_7481774_n.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks