Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2008, 21:06   #586

Ahh!! Very funny Indeed Ishaan!! My moms friend asked me why there was a backpack on me when i was driving!!
Old 3rd July 2008, 00:39   #587

BLB 1144 was giving me alot of problems in the past couple of days. It kept stopping suddenly in the morning or when it was cold. Also a couple of days ago, there was suddenly ALOT of judder as soon as I stepped on the Accelerator. I shwed it to dad and he said that i had hit the car somewhere on the underflooring and damaged the crossmember. I knew for a fact that there was no damage and thus off i went under the car to check. And as suspected, there was none. Then i decided to check the link between the transmition and the propeler shaft. And i noticed that the connecting bushing was absolutely worn out. So that was replaced!! Also the car was not getting any fuel so we decided to change the fuel pump. Luckily, call it fate or what, dad just found two brand new Fuel pumps from nashik..So plonked one of those in too!! here are a few pics i took.
Attached Thumbnails
My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc02278.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc02279.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc02280.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc02281.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc02283.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc02284.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2008, 09:37   #588
Distinguished - BHPian

This seems to be due to quality issue on the coupling (Cyrus, it is coupling, not bushing). Also need to check the propeller shaft guide at the end of the transmission output shaft. Due to a misconception, most mechanics remove the guide for some reason which I just cannot imagine. Without a guide, the rubber will give way as it is only supposed to transmit torque and not take the bending moment.

Anyways, BLB1144 gets a new clutch soon, so everything will be sorted out.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 3rd July 2008 at 09:37. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 11th July 2008, 21:33   #589

As Alot of you guys know, BLB 1144 was in bad shape body wise. So we gave it for some minor body work. The right side B Pillar was completely broken so that had to be fixed. But it was looking very bad aafter it was fixed as there was red oxide on the roof. So I decided to do this!!....
Attached Thumbnails
My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc02383.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc02384.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc02385.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc02386.jpg  

Old 11th July 2008, 21:57   #590
BHPian

Cyrus, what are the mods on the car that you just posted. Yes, the one with the matt black finish to the bonnet and part of the fenders. Interesting, just wanted to know if it is gonna be a sleeper.

Knowing Mr. Behram, there must be lots, what with his knowledge which is like an ocean....

Last edited by suren181 : 11th July 2008 at 21:59.
Old 11th July 2008, 22:20   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Also need to check the propeller shaft guide at the end of the transmission output shaft.
Do you have a picture of this guide? The propeller shaft coupling giving away, is a problem our car faces.
Old 11th July 2008, 23:02   #592

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Do you have a picture of this guide? The propeller shaft coupling giving away, is a problem our car faces.
I will try and get it tomorrow. Another trip below the car then!!

Well, After that paint Scheme, I woudnt call it a sleeper!! But here is the list of mods.

Exhaust- 4X2X1 S1 Manifold with 37 inchX 2Inch ineer diameter Free Flow Muffler with 2inch downpipe in the front and 2 inch tailpipe.

thats it And this car goes like STINK!!!

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th July 2008 at 23:17. Reason: Merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of postnig another consecutive post.
Old 11th July 2008, 23:46   #593
Senior - BHPian

She looks too cool, man !! How d'you think Delite bumpers would look on her ? Our taxiwala friend at matunga road has them.
Old 12th July 2008, 00:33   #594

No Delite Bumpers on this one Ravi!! These bumpers are going BLACK!!
Old 12th July 2008, 17:03   #595
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Anirban - regarding your query on the propeller shaft guide, the rear end of the mainshaft of the transmission carries a semi-spherical OD ground guide, the ID of which is supposed to be a light hammer fit on the OD of the shaft. In order to retain it in place, a small circlip is fitted. The front yoke of the propeller shaft has a ground ID which just slides on this semi-sphere. Therefore, concentricity is ensured. The maximum propeller shaft angle with respect to the transmission centre line is 13 degrees. The bolts then transmit torque. The coupling takes 13 degrees as there are wire ropes inside it designed to take this angle. Over a period of time, the sphere has a tendency to become a little loose and therefore there will be relative angular movement between it and the mainshaft. This causes heat buildup which jams the sphere on the shaft. For some silly reason for which I find absolutely no rationality, some mechanics tend to remove the sphere altogether. If so, it is a sure disaster because the propeller shaft's whipping at high speed will spoil something and the weakest link is the rubber coupling (whirling speed factor of safety is 1.15). Also the quality of the coupling itself seems to be suspect. Anyways, I am changing the transmission of BLB1144 shortly alongwith a new clutch so will see. You also get your car checked for this when you are back. Don't let somebody open it, it may get spoilt further. I have the shop manual. I will tell Cyrus to scan the cross section and send you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 14th July 2008, 10:29   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Anirban - regarding your query on the propeller shaft guide, the rear end of the mainshaft of the transmission carries a semi-spherical OD ground guide, the ID of which is supposed to be a light hammer fit on the OD of the shaft. In order to retain it in place, a small circlip is fitted. The front yoke of the propeller shaft has a ground ID which just slides on this semi-sphere. Therefore, concentricity is ensured. The maximum propeller shaft angle with respect to the transmission centre line is 13 degrees. The bolts then transmit torque. The coupling takes 13 degrees as there are wire ropes inside it designed to take this angle. Over a period of time, the sphere has a tendency to become a little loose and therefore there will be relative angular movement between it and the mainshaft. This causes heat buildup which jams the sphere on the shaft. For some silly reason for which I find absolutely no rationality, some mechanics tend to remove the sphere altogether. If so, it is a sure disaster because the propeller shaft's whipping at high speed will spoil something and the weakest link is the rubber coupling (whirling speed factor of safety is 1.15). Also the quality of the coupling itself seems to be suspect. Anyways, I am changing the transmission of BLB1144 shortly alongwith a new clutch so will see. You also get your car checked for this when you are back. Don't let somebody open it, it may get spoilt further. I have the shop manual. I will tell Cyrus to scan the cross section and send you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks in advance. However I guess the damage to our car is already done. I generally oversee all repair work ensuring what comes out goes in as well (Or a suitable replacement is added). My father is not able to manage time to see thru the repairs. However being in monsoon that car does not see the road now.
Old 18th July 2008, 03:08   #597

I know this thread has been dormant for a while..But there have been some improvements in the car. The bonnet was repainted as the paint had burnt for some odd reason. The car has been Re polished and Hand Waxed!! And the Engine Kill switch has been put in...(using it makes me feel like i am in an F-16 fighter!!!)

And I know most people will not like it, But...Here are the Abarth Logos...

My thanks to a very dear friend for the stickers...May you get your old car back!!!
Attached Thumbnails
My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc02446.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc02449.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc02451.jpg  

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 18th July 2008 at 03:14.
Old 18th July 2008, 09:52   #598
BHPian

Quote:
My thanks to a very dear friend for the stickers...May you get your old car back!!!
I sincerely hope the same for him.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 18th July 2008, 10:16   #599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
And I know most people will not like it, But...Here are the Abarth Logos.
You're absolutely right. I dont like it! Remove them please.
Old 18th July 2008, 11:40   #600
Senior - BHPian

Cyrus,

Put the security number plates on this car. It should go well with the modern classic look of the car.

And as Karl mentioned, the stickers are'nt doing justice to the car.

cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks