Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2008, 21:45   #571
Senior - BHPian

Speaking of tyres, my car is due for changing all 4 of them. I am looking forward to fit MRF 155/80 R 14, but my car has been fitted with a smaller diameter steering wheel , so a little bit sceptic about how heavy it will be once i fit those chunky radials. Please advise
Old 21st June 2008, 23:51   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Speaking of tyres, my car is due for changing all 4 of them. I am looking forward to fit MRF 155/80 R 14, but my car has been fitted with a smaller diameter steering wheel , so a little bit sceptic about how heavy it will be once i fit those chunky radials. Please advise
Just to the wheel and tyre section below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Thank you Mr.President (oh ree jee null). Your points are well taken but as I pointed out, there is a practical difficulty in putting fiat side pattis.

Dear Jaggu - I was meaning to reply to your query on cross plies v/s radials but got caught up in 100 other things. Here goes - this front suspension setup does not have ball joints. It has threaded spider assemblies. During jounce (tyre goes up) and rebound (tyre goes down) movement, the threads in the spider assemblies provide angular movement. Due to this, the friction in this suspension setup is very high (it is inevitable), which is not conducive to radial tyres due to their inherent construction of having relatively supple sidewalls. That's why this suspension runs relatively less caster @ 2 degrees with 330 kg payload. This suspension needs strong sidewalls which bias tyres offer. In any case speeds are not very high so it's OK from safety point of view also. Now which bias tyre ? I have tried all of them. I find that the Ceat Safety Drive is the only tyre which suits this suspension setup perfectly. It has good sidewall strength and a nice tread pattern having 7 grooves as compared to all other tyres which have 5 grooves, besides giving a good life. The shortcoming of MRF legend is it's outer diameter which is more and compound which is hard, the shortcoming of Goodyear Power Star is that the second and the fourth grooves wear out more than the other grooves, the shortcoming of MRF twin tread is that it's outer diameter is maximum so the tyre touches the wheelarch and it's tread pattern is not conducive to wet road driving and cornering, the shortcoming of Ceat C800 is that it's sidewall end breaks away. Also this car has 3.5J*14 wheelrims which are not meant to take 155/80R14 radials available in India for which actually 4.5J*14 wheel rims are required but the system can "tolerate" 4J*14 wheelrims but not 3.5J*14 wheelrims (this is as per the technical specifications manual). The wheelrim PCD is 98 mm (not 100 mm, but people fit and then suffer) and it's offset is +31 mm which is impossible to find in any aftermarket wheelrim (the 118NE is 37 mm). Besides I will never ever trust quality of aftermarket product in a critical item like the wheelrim. So deviating from OE specifications does not arise. Hope this clarifies.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 22nd June 2008, 13:01   #573

Hey Ashish, Where have you been buddy?? You have missed all the Fiat Club Meets. Come down to five gardens whenever you want. You have my number i presume.
Old 23rd June 2008, 21:57   #574
Senior - BHPian

Is the Vacuum Advance hose not connected? Or is the vacuum advance mechanism not calibrated for Mikuni.
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:24   #575
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Might also be because of improper alignment as well as the 3.5J rims as mentioned.

On our car there hasn't almost been anywear. Although, one might argue, that it doesn't see much road. Only tyres needed to be changed because of tyre age. On the 137D I wont comment because it had a different engine (with different weight) and not sure how the suspension design/calibration was updated to accomodate it. But still, most of the cases of premature tyre-wear that I have heard/seen was mostly inadequate care shown towards the car. However not suggesting that you did not take care. I dont know enough to be able to comment on the 137D.

However radials do take away the period look that many aspire for.
One can rule out alignment issue since the car was well maintained and even went to the hoffman equipment for alignment, and also the wear was even (read as flat). Yes the heavier engine and suspension setting might have contributed.
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:40   #576

We just installed 130 Watt Lights and The "piece de reistance"...the four point harness!!
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:57   #577
Senior - BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper english in posts, for the benefit of other forum users. Do take the effort of typing your posts out clearly.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 24th June 2008 at 11:19.
silverado is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th June 2008, 17:31   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Anirban - Your query on vacuum advance, I am trying the car without the vacuum advance, it is not giving good results (runs slightly rich, the tailpipe has started blackening). I will connect it back shortly. Then I will change the distributor which I have set for intermediate centrifugal advance characteristics. You will also observe that I have disconnected the delay valve in the primary circuit of the Mikuni carburettor as it was revving the engine unnecessarily at signals and not serving it's intended purpose. I have rerouted the fuel lines below the air cleaner in order to eliminate overhang. It is working fine. My main work is still pending. I have to fit the 4.3. It is running beautifully on 3.9.

Nasik has once again proved to be a treasure trove of Fiat parts. Last week I bought myself a brand new Ucal Facet electronic fuel pump, 2 brand new Autolec water pumps and 6 brand new front small light lenses in white colour. No sweat, just asked for them across the counter and purchased them.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 27th June 2008, 01:45   #579

Some pics i would like to share with everyone. The Silver looks dull in the pictures. Sprayed it on. Took about 4-5 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-0624_173037.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-0626_181854.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-0626_181902.jpg  

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 27th June 2008 at 01:46.
Old 27th June 2008, 01:53   #580
Senior - BHPian

What? MRF Legend?!!!
Old 27th June 2008, 01:56   #581

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
What? MRF Legend?!!!
Those are on BLB 1144. Those are old tyres. you got good eyes!!!

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 27th June 2008 at 01:57.
Old 27th June 2008, 11:58   #582
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Anirban - even BLL4919 had MRF legends. It came with 2 brand new MRF legends in the front and resoled tyres at the back. I could not throw out 2 so I bought 2 more when I restored it in 2005. As BLL4919 gets to be used only once a year, I transferred the tyres to the LHD (the LHD came with bad tyres) before restoration. My regular guy wanted them for his taxi so I gave them to him, got a decent price too, then changed over to Ceat Safety Drives on the LHD. Just for your information.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 27th June 2008, 13:22   #583

Remember that we are supposed to get a set of Tires and Wheels put on 4919 before the next rally !!
Old 27th June 2008, 16:12   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Some pics i would like to share with everyone. The Silver looks dull in the pictures. Sprayed it on. Took about 4-5 hours.
I love the first pic!! The full-on hardcore look that Cyrus is trying to give is totally spoilt by the oversized suspenders that he's wearing! Way to go Dikra!
Old 27th June 2008, 17:35   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I love the first pic!! The full-on hardcore look that Cyrus is trying to give is totally spoilt by the oversized suspenders that he's wearing! Way to go Dikra!

Hilarious! This requires five smilies! Too good Ishan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks