Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2008, 13:00   #481
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello JayD - you are absolutely 100% correct. I wanted the LHD to look subtle. Why ? because I have learnt from my past 2 restorations (BLL4919 and MRY3112) that it became almost impossible for me to park these red/black and cream coloured cars anywhere. I take out MRY3112 in Nasik only after 9PM. They both look absolutely awesome but then I have restored the LHD with the express intention of using it regularly as my personal car (barring the rainy season of course) which was not my intention with the previous cars. The paint shades are not allowing me to use both my other cars. I believe that the character of this car will emerge after all things are in place and polishing is done. I have the light mounting bracket in place and if good lights are fitted, they will bring in a contrast v/s the bonnet, then the car will look better poised. However, you will agree that it is impossible to keep lights fitted on all the time due to possibility of theft. Therefore, I am now scouting around in Nasik for cheap lights which will serve my "appearance" purpose. The Hellas will come on only for fiat classic club of India events, photosessions etc.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 23rd May 2008, 14:02   #482

im in pune and im typing from my phone. jayd, i agree with you but as dad said, we wanted a subtle car this time!!! lets hope rhe polishing comes out well. also,we are planning to paint the side and roof trims black too..
Old 23rd May 2008, 14:08   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
also,we are planning to paint the side and roof trims black too..
Thats a bit excessive if you ask me. If the sole concern is anonymity, spray the whole thing black. With a yellow top
Old 23rd May 2008, 15:03   #484
Senior - BHPian

IMO a single color either Jet black polised to a mirror finish, or the metallic blue color on the car, will showcase the car the best.. esp, if you intend to use it as a daily drive.
Old 23rd May 2008, 16:55   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

My my my - so many people thinking the same thing. I wanted the car to be black - BUT - white side wall tyres are not available and normal tyres will not make the car to look balanced, hence black was out. Because normal tyres, hence black wheel rims, hence subtle colour and then matt bonnet to get the rally theme. Don't worry, the car will look good. I am NOT doing the side patties and the garnish mouldings in black because my powder coating guy is not in location now.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 23rd May 2008, 19:34   #486
BHPian

@BEHRAM: Even if you found "CEAT white walls" and plan to fit them at this stage, having prepared the car on the basis of a rally theme, they would look out of place.

sorry for my two bits here.

Best rgds,
mr original.
Old 23rd May 2008, 20:06   #487
BHPian

A small query:
Does "Sunax" (PAL's OE Supplier) still produce Padmini taillights?

The taillamps on the LHD before the restoration were Sunax units.

IMHO,they look better than the "Sweet Trade" ones (the ones which are currently on the restored LHD).

(P.S. I hope the company names are correct)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To add some contrast...

1) Can you paint the tyre brand name on the car?
2) Chromeplate the wheel nuts?
3) Don't powdercoat the side pattis in black, please!!!
4) A small and subtle FIAT sticker on the lower part of the rear door.

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 23rd May 2008 at 20:13.
Old 23rd May 2008, 23:14   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Just my personal opinion here, the car dosen't look too good. It looks too dull, with the dark paintjob, matte black hood, and black wheels. Imho, there should be some contrast so that the car looks brighter. Now it looks like just another fiat on the road!
I guess it isnt really fair to judge this car considering the poor quality pictures taken. Im sure if someone were to take nice high resolution pictures, the Fiat would have looked a lot better. IMO if the car didnt have a black bonnet, a white roof and white alloys would have looked pretty nice,
Old 24th May 2008, 16:13   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
My my my - so many people thinking the same thing. I wanted the car to be black - BUT - white side wall tyres are not available and normal tyres will not make the car to look balanced, hence black was out. Because normal tyres, hence black wheel rims, hence subtle colour and then matt bonnet to get the rally theme. Don't worry, the car will look good. I am NOT doing the side patties and the garnish mouldings in black because my powder coating guy is not in location now.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Should be interesting to see how it shapes up. For an all black car, silver wheel rims with black tyres and the original hub caps with PAL logo would do the balancing act. There should be tyres with white strip instead of ful l white sidewalls, that also will look good.

Side patti rakho. will give the car the 'original' character, along with the chrome / aluminium beadings on the windows and qtr glass.

cheers!
Srini
Old 24th May 2008, 16:38   #490

guys guys guys !!! tge car is already painted!! We cant change the color now...anyways, there might be another addition in the stable soon.
Old 27th May 2008, 11:07   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
guys guys guys !!! tge car is already painted!! We cant change the color now...anyways, there might be another addition in the stable soon.

Hmmm..getting me curious now.
Let me know once your back in town.
Old 3rd June 2008, 23:33   #492

UPDATE TIME!!!
Seats are all in. Trims are all in. Carpets and mattings are in with all custom Sound Deadening. Only thing left in the interiors are the seatbelts (4-point) and the Roll Cage cover. Electricals will be dome on thursday. And the Polishing will be done on friday
After that, car oes to nasik for the rainy season!!
Old 4th June 2008, 17:41   #493
Senior - BHPian

OT: Cyrus / Mr Dhabhar / Rony - what happens to the cars when they are not taken out during rainy season? i mean the cars are not started / moved during the time - any precautions?

@ cyrus - do post the pics of the car
Old 4th June 2008, 17:47   #494

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
OT: Cyrus / Mr Dhabhar / Rony - what happens to the cars when they are not taken out during rainy season? i mean the cars are not started / moved during the time - any precautions?

@ cyrus - do post the pics of the car
Remove the Battery. That is most important. there is not much else that one should do. Keep it well covered and dry. If it rains, and it it out on inb the open, Dont put a cover on it. It will ruin your paint.
Old 4th June 2008, 17:54   #495
Senior - BHPian

i have hired a covered parking for my padmini and i wanted to know if anything goes wrong if the car is not started for a few days.

@ cyrus / others - thanks! any other points, tyre pressure, etc?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks