Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2008, 18:15   #391

That is the support mount for the Hella setup. Did you notice the Headlight brackets in the front? And the support mounts behing the grille housing?
Old 26th April 2008, 19:53   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA View Post
That is the support mount for the Hella setup. Did you notice the Headlight brackets in the front? And the support mounts behing the grille housing?
Wasn't the Hella setup supposed to be fitted on the Scorpio?
Old 26th April 2008, 23:53   #393

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Wasn't the Hella setup supposed to be fitted on the Scorpio?
The lights will never be fitted baba..It is only for "if and when needed purposes" if you know what i mean (Fiat rallies).

The Rollcage will be fitted tomorrow.(hopefully)
Old 28th April 2008, 01:31   #394

Here is the first step of the roll cage. The sides are done. The top supports and the supports behind the seats are left
Attached Thumbnails
My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc01673.jpg  

Old 28th April 2008, 02:41   #395

This is a quick paint representation of what the rollcage will look like.
Attached Thumbnails
My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-copy-dsc01673.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 28th April 2008 at 02:44.
Old 28th April 2008, 10:56   #396
Senior - BHPian

Whats the logic behind the kink in the Roll cage in the areas marked by the circles. Couldn't those bars followed vertical, beside the B-pillar. Or is there another vertical member beside the B-pillar that you forgot to highlight.
Attached Thumbnails
My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-copy20of20dsc01673.jpg  

Old 30th April 2008, 11:47   #397
BHPian

GTA, I really liked your idea of completely concealed driving lights. Why dont you use something similar to (and not) the cdrom tray mechanism so that the lights pop out when you want them to be functional and be concealed besides the radiator at other times.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 2nd May 2008, 13:51   #398

Ahh finally my computer works again and i can log on to Team Bhp.. (mom is fuming right behind me)

@Adheesh-Wat exactly are you talking about?????
Old 2nd May 2008, 14:54   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA View Post
Ahh finally my computer works again and i can log on to Team Bhp.. (mom is fuming right behind me)

@Adheesh-Wat exactly are you talking about?????

there is difference between a computer & retro look car.
Old 2nd May 2008, 14:55   #400

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
there is difference between a computer & retro look car.
No..I am addicted to both you see.
Old 2nd May 2008, 21:05   #401
BHPian

This is a priceless piece of art. Look at the detailing... the engine, the endcan, the sexy rims. I am speechless.

On a serious note, will the reverse lamps be dumped?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA
Old 2nd May 2008, 23:28   #402

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
This is a priceless piece of art. Look at the detailing... the engine, the endcan, the sexy rims. I am speechless.

On a serious note, will the reverse lamps be dumped?
HAHA very Phunny my friend. I can now proudly say, "My car has a Blower" but only in MS paint...

And yes, the reverse lights are gone already.
Old 5th May 2008, 12:59   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello to all once again, following work is completed on the car:
1 - "Computer generated" (whatever that means) paint is purchased, it cost me a bomb, don't ask how much but it looks very good in the can, hopefully it will look wow on the car. So it is finally "swift ka grey" with matt black bonnet and half fenders.
2 - Roll cage fitting is finished. I had to use the bevel protractor and bubble guage of my Mitutoyo combination square + a lot of patience and perseverence to get the angles right. It was an absolute ordeal but it is done with once and for all. No time during the day so had to do this work at night. I don't even know how many welding rods are used. All 4 base mountings are box gussetted.
3 - The chassis has been retorqued after aligning the rear legs by shims so as to align with the floor panel.
4 - The entire suspension was removed, cleaned, painted and reassembled without disturbing the spiders (obviously). The lower control arm mounting channels have been replaced (the car came with "value engineering" parts for which I was only responsible long years back, had to undo some of the wrongs done then). Handling will now improve drastically. The front suspension jounce arrestor buffers and their brackets had developed rust so they are changed. New shock absorbers are fitted in the front, rear will be changed next week as they were not immediately available.
5 - Complete brake system is now new. New wheel cylinders, new liners and all new hoses have been fitted. Bundy tubes and master cylinder were already fitted previously.
6 - New original handbrake cable is fitted. Ratchet mechanism is overhauled as it had jammed up over a period of time.
7 - All wheel bearings have been serviced, found good, so same wheel bearings are refitted. All brake drums have been painted.
8 - New Valeo clutch assembly is fitted onto the flywheel.
9 - Engine intake and exhaust manifolds have been replaced. The intake manifold is the one which saw a small production run of only about 200 cars. It takes the Mikuni carburettor directly, so volumetric efficiency is good. Manifold pot heating is eliminated to increase charge efficiency (thank God I am out of the Solex misery at least in my two cars, whatever I did, they would just leak off).
10 - Clyinder head to manifold heater adaptor is removed and blocked with M8*1.0 adaptor. I can use it to obtain double inlets to the degassing tank or to fit a second temperature guage (I have an adaptor in the radiator).
11 - New Autolec make original equipment water pump is fitted (obtained by fluke from a derelict autoparts shop in Pune some months back, I just went and asked, he just sold it to me across the counter). Mechanically operated 4 bladed fan fitted with smaller diameter S1 equipped water pump pulley (to obtain 57 lpm mass flow).
12 - New timing chain, sprockets and oil seal fitted. Camshaft is set at 10 degrees static crank advance. The car will run @ 7 degrees BTDC to original AVL specification (the old chain was out of specification by one tooth (a mistake which many unknowingly make and which users do not notice as they would have never felt the power of the correct setting).
13 - Crankshaft pulley is replaced. S1 non-AC car pulley is obtained and fitted.
14 - Cylinder block is painted and engine is assembled in the engine compartment with new mountings as the old ones just disintegrated into 2 pieces.
15 - Complete new exhaust system fitted. 2" diameter adaptor pipe, expansion type 27" long muffler and 2" diameter tail pipe fitted, welded and reinforced.
16 - Mikuni carburettor with idle compensator fitted.
17 - Radiator and degassing tank fitted and connected temporarily.
18 - Starter motor fitted to the bell housing.
17 - Lynch pin type bonnet lock pins fitted. Cannot fit the stainless steel top plates as it's hole diameter does not match this application.
18 - Seats and trim work is in progress with my seatwallah. He shook his head in disbelief when I told him to prepare the roll cage cover and "handstitch" it, one stitch at a time with perfectly pitched threads. He must be thinking that I am absolutely crazy.

THE ENGINE WAS CRANKED. IT FIRED INSTANTLY. IDLING QUALITY IS EXCELLENT. THE EXHAUST NOTE IS JUST WHAT I ALWAYS WANTED ("SMOOTH - SILENT - SURGE OF POWER") (Gogibhai will want an audio now). A LOT OF WATER CAME OUT OF THE TAILPIPE.

Work remaining - adaptation of Maruti Van accelerator cable for this ratio application. Need to obtain an old Bajaj Pulsar clutch cable adjuster for this, to set the free travel.

Next steps - now, finally my painter breathes a little easily. I have finally given him the go-ahead to start the final painting process, which he says should take around 20 days from yesterday. Let's see.

Whew !

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 5th May 2008, 13:13   #404
Senior - BHPian

wow! looks like the final product will be mouth watering - awesome restoration work Mr. Dhabhar. waiting for the detailed pics.

why did you paint the suspension parts?
Old 6th May 2008, 01:10   #405

All suspension components have been painted in Red Oxide. The Engine Block has also been painted in Red oxide. The car will be Preped tommorrow. The Lambi got burnt again when we put the Bonnet pins so my paintwallah must me abusing us Full On. Anyways will post pics of the car only when the car is fully completed. (Naah just kidding)!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks