Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2008, 21:21   #496

you have hired a parking?? Ohh how i wish i could od the same. Nothing will go wrong. Tire pressure wont amke a difference. Its only a couple of months. Make sure it doesnt flood at the place you have hired.
Old 4th June 2008, 21:30   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
OT: Cyrus / Mr Dhabhar / Rony - what happens to the cars when they are not taken out during rainy season? i mean the cars are not started / moved during the time - any precautions?

Its best to cover the car with a soft cover even if it is stowed away indoors for the rains. Disconnect the +ve terminal of the battery if you do not have the Italian L-end type switch which automatically disconnects the battery when operated. I would start the car once in fifteen days or sometimes even once a month (depending how good the battery is). Before starting check the water and lube levels.

1. NEVER accelerate/rev the cold engine harshly from idle, during these starts.
Let the settled oil circulate all over first and warm up the engine gradually. Keep it running at low revs for 15-20 mins, to circulate oil, as well as to let the battery charge.
2. During this period keep pumping the clutch and brakes to re-juvinate the mechanicals and hydraulics therein.
3. Once engine is warmed up try taking the car forward and backwards a couple of times in the parking area, operating the clutch, gears and brakes.
4. Once back in position IDLE the engine again for 2-3 mins and just cut off.

I am not a mechanical engineer and am neither technically professional on vehicle engines like pros over here, but the LITTLE knowledge and experience, combined with TREMENDOUS love for the car makes me do the above, in order to give it an EXTENDED life.
Old 4th June 2008, 22:17   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
UPDATE TIME!!!
Seats are all in. Trims are all in. Carpets and mattings are in with all custom Sound Deadening. Only thing left in the interiors are the seatbelts (4-point) and the Roll Cage cover. Electricals will be dome on thursday. And the Polishing will be done on friday
After that, car oes to nasik for the rainy season!!
Guys, I have seen her in the flesh, and I'll assure you she's an absolute beauty. Behram Sir please bring her for sunday's meet !!!
Old 6th June 2008, 13:11   #499
Senior - BHPian

Off-topic again

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Its best to cover the car with a soft cover even if it is stowed away indoors for the rains. Disconnect the +ve terminal of the battery if you do not have the Italian L-end type switch which automatically disconnects the battery when operated. I would start the car once in fifteen days or sometimes even once a month (depending how good the battery is). Before starting check the water and lube levels.
I will have to get hold of one of those covers. i dont think my car has the L-type end switch you are talking about - i will prefer disconnecting the battery. i do check the water and lube levels everytime - only thing is the radiator has a leak - i am yet to buy a new/used one.

Quote:
1. NEVER accelerate/rev the cold engine harshly from idle, during these starts.
Let the settled oil circulate all over first and warm up the engine gradually. Keep it running at low revs for 15-20 mins, to circulate oil, as well as to let the battery charge.
2. During this period keep pumping the clutch and brakes to re-juvinate the mechanicals and hydraulics therein.
3. Once engine is warmed up try taking the car forward and backwards a couple of times in the parking area, operating the clutch, gears and brakes.
4. Once back in position IDLE the engine again for 2-3 mins and just cut off.
i usually follow these points religiously - thanks Rony!

Quote:
TREMENDOUS love for the car makes me do the above, in order to give it an EXTENDED life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
you have hired a parking?? Ohh how i wish i could do the same. Nothing will go wrong. Tire pressure wont amke a difference. Its only a couple of months. Make sure it doesnt flood at the place you have hired.
thanks cyrus - yes i have hired parking for all 3 cars. the GTX and m800 donot have covered parkings. the Padmini only has a covered parking and the rent burns a hole in my pocket every month. check out my gallery - there is a pic of the garage.
Old 7th June 2008, 01:48   #500

So today FINALLY the wiring harness went it. A writeup will follow tomorrow. With some little surprises.

Below are pics of the newly taped and modified as per our spec Wiring Harness. Which took around 6 hours just to Tape!!!

The car is not at dadar at this moment. It is in a shop at kandivali. It barely fit.
Attached Thumbnails
My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc02049.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc02050.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc02051.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc02052.jpg  

My Left Hand Drive Fiat.-dsc02053.jpg  

Old 9th June 2008, 08:51   #501

Update on the car. The cars Guages are in and the electricals are all working perfectly. Yesterday the car wasnt running properly. The fuel filter was absolutely choked. The amount of muck that came out of the filter is astonishing. I will post pictures of the completed interiors and the Guages today.
Old 9th June 2008, 13:04   #502
Distinguished - BHPian

HELP HELP - can someone please please give me some wild and whacky answers to the following questions which people keep on asking me whenever I am in the LHD. I enjoy it nevertheless.

Yeh PHIYAAT hi hai naa ? PHIYAAT ke jaisa gaadi nahin. Patra kya majboot hai, maaloom ? (Amitabh Bachchan ishtyle)
Ulta steering banake liya kya ? Kaayku banaya ?
Gas pe hai kya ?
Diesel hai ?
Average kya hai ?
MAA ROOTI ka KARBORATOR daala ! Average 18 ke oopar milega.
Double radiator kayku hai ? (looking at the degassing tank)
Yeh andar pipe kayku lagaya ? (looking at the roll cage)
Paint karke liya ke body naya daala ?
Yeh bonnet kaala kyon hai ? Bonnet pe tengul kayku hai ?
Bonnet ko taala marega ? (looking at the lynch pin stoppers)
Number plate aisa kyon banaya ? Acrylic mein bananeka, ekdum jhakaas.
YEM ARR EFF ka tyre daalo saab, main bolta hai, ekdum mast hai !

Upto now I have resisted giving whacky answers. However, the whackiest answer that I could think of would go something like this - "mein mechanic ko bola ki beech mein steering mangta hai lekin usne left side mein bithaya. Thoda gadbad hai. Abhi kya bolega, uska chhokre log ne sab raada kiya. Tumara gaadi bhi leke aao, tumko bhi banake dega. Khali 2 din lagta hai" Aapun hai naa !" I am just itching to give this reply. I guess one of these days somebody will break my bones and only I will be responsible.

Obviously, I get numerous genuine compliments at traffic signals etc, for which I am always thankful. It makes the whole effort worthwhile.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 9th June 2008, 13:59   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
HELP HELP - can someone please please give me some wild and whacky answers to the following questions which people keep on asking me whenever I am in the LHD. I enjoy it nevertheless.

Yeh PHIYAAT hi hai naa ? PHIYAAT ke jaisa gaadi nahin. Patra kya majboot hai, maaloom ? (Amitabh Bachchan ishtyle)
Ulta steering banake liya kya ? Kaayku banaya ?
Gas pe hai kya ?
Diesel hai ?
Average kya hai ?
MAA ROOTI ka KARBORATOR daala ! Average 18 ke oopar milega.
Double radiator kayku hai ? (looking at the degassing tank)
Yeh andar pipe kayku lagaya ? (looking at the roll cage)
Paint karke liya ke body naya daala ?
Yeh bonnet kaala kyon hai ? Bonnet pe tengul kayku hai ?
Bonnet ko taala marega ? (looking at the lynch pin stoppers)
Number plate aisa kyon banaya ? Acrylic mein bananeka, ekdum jhakaas.
YEM ARR EFF ka tyre daalo saab, main bolta hai, ekdum mast hai !
Dear Behram,

these comments are common and faced it too, when used to take my car to places in Mumbai Central to get odd jobs like brake setting,etc, where taxi guys also frequent.
Infact remember in the hay days of 4035, one taxi felllow thought he had the soul of DC & was giving me tips how I should modify my car & it would look DINCHAK.
But line that instills confidence & pride is 'Poore Duniya Ne nikaal Diya tumne rakha'.

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th June 2008 at 21:14. Reason: Fixed end quote
Old 9th June 2008, 14:05   #504
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Kavesh - you are soooooo correct. I put it a little differently. Others say "mere paas FIAT thi" we say "mere paas FIAT hai aur hamesha rahegi".

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 9th June 2008, 14:42   #505
BANNED

Cyrus Bhai,

My brothers, petrol padmini is up for sale, mangta kya.

Engine makhan mafiq smooth. Brakes great, upholstery great, Hand gear, RHD.
Old 9th June 2008, 23:03   #506
Senior - BHPian

A few repiles Behram Sir -
Ye Phiyaat hai ? - "Nahin, ye impportid gaadi hai. Custom waale picchhu pade the iske liye phiyaat ka body lagaaya"
Andar pipe kaiku lagaaya ? - "Usme paani hai. Gaadi mein bathroom banane wala hoon "
Bonnet pe tengul kaiku hai ? - "Usme khaana garam rehta hai"
Ulta steering banake liya kya ? - "Nahi re.. steering seedha hich hai. Gaadi ka alignment jabarjast maar khaa gayaa hai !!"
Cheers !
Old 9th June 2008, 23:19   #507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Andar pipe kaiku lagaaya ? - "Usme paani hai. Gaadi mein bathroom banane wala hoon "
Arre waahhh!!! Hahahaha.......HI-LARIOUS!!!

Suuuper! This one would sure take the cake!
Old 9th June 2008, 23:28   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Kavesh - you are soooooo correct. I put it a little differently. Others say "mere paas FIAT thi" we say "mere paas FIAT hai aur hamesha rahegi".

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
You should put it as "mere paas FIATS hai aur hamesha rahengi".

You can also use it as a label on the rear wind screen.

PS: Nice to see that you have started posting on team-bhp again. I was eagarly waiting for your posts and getting restless.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 9th June 2008 at 23:29.
Old 9th June 2008, 23:51   #509

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
A few repiles Behram Sir -
Ye Phiyaat hai ? - "Nahin, ye impportid gaadi hai. Custom waale picchhu pade the iske liye phiyaat ka body lagaaya"
Bonnet pe tengul kaiku hai ? - "Usme khaana garam rehta hai"
Ulta steering banake liya kya ? - "Nahi re.. steering seedha hich hai. Gaadi ka alignment jabarjast maar khaa gayaa hai !!"
Cheers !

HAHAHAHAHA..Damn Ravi. You made me fall off my chair laughing. I started coughing from all the laughter and now the cough is not going!!

Also, another answer to the "Left pe steering" wallah question- Woh learning school ka gaddi rahte hai na..Dono baju control wala..Woh hai.

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 9th June 2008 at 23:53.
Old 10th June 2008, 00:28   #510
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, this could be a whole new thread !!!
"Snappy answers to (stupid) questions asked on the road by other drivers"
MAD magazine ishtyle .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks