Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2008, 12:26   #481
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Actually you could have got yourself a brand new Grand Petrol with the best trim level onroad for the price.
That was not the idea anyway.
Quote:
In any case, I still think this car can be fixed and made fantastic, if in the right hands, and you'll be better off putting in the new dashnoard from the Grand or the Avigo.
Sure, it can be done. Any project like these go through lot of issues.

And I don't think he's looking for a new dash.
Old 28th July 2008, 12:27   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
In any case, I still think this car can be fixed and made fantastic, if in the right hands.
You said it - IF in the right hands.

For a long time, I kept quiet - hoping the issues were minor (despite my head telling me that there are major issues with the vehicle) and trying to convince myself that it will just take a 'little work' here and there.

I had resolved to put the past behind me and move on, but yesterday it was just a bit too much to take. Till then I though this was just one of the few mistakes of judgement that one makes in life and that it was a lesson, albeit a very costly one. However, what use is the forum if one cannot share your experiences with others and help them avoid making the same mistakes you made?

I finally had time to myself this morning since I'm back in Cochin alone, and I was running through the time spent, the emails and the SMSs sent and received and suddenly it occured to me that whatever happened may be past, but is definitely not pardonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Any project like these go through lot of issues.
Perhaps, but that was not the idea when I started my project. The deliverable was not just a polished body but a full working car with perfect mechanicals. In fact I was told that the wait I had to endure was for 'perfection'. Bah!

This was a project where money was never a constraint. Timelines were stretched and stretched. If money is not a constraint, time was not considered a constraint (even though it was, for me) what is the point of giving a turnkey job????

This was meant to be a restoration project, not a body job where you plonk in some engine and hope that it all works.

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th July 2008 at 06:02. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button. Thanks.
Old 28th July 2008, 12:37   #483
BANNED

Steer!
What's past is past. No use making a hue and cry about it. I've been thru this experience earlier but in a very small scale when compared to yours. Let's just count it as a small bad patch in our otherwise very beautiful life.

What is left in the car are some mechanical jobs which can be taken care of locally in your hometown by the LAND owner workshop guy.

Your father will soon be a happy person man! The car gives out lots of nostalgic satisfaction when driven around for some time. I sincerely hope he'll be satisfied too.
Old 28th July 2008, 12:42   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I had resolved to put the past behind me and move on, but yesterday it was just a bit too much to take. Till then I though this was just one of the few mistakes of judgement that one makes in life and that it was a lesson, albeit a very costly one. However, what use is the forum if one cannot share your experiences with others and help them avoid making the same mistakes you made?
Thanks for sharing the experience - it will definitely help others especially while making decisions where the heart rules over the brain. There would be issues while taking the road less travelled, but we can minimize it by sharing our experiences.

You have done whatever you can even being so far away. It is easy to say do not lose heart. I understand what you are going through.

All the best friend!!
Old 28th July 2008, 12:49   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
What is left in the car are some mechanical jobs which can be taken care of locally in your hometown by the LAND owner workshop guy.

Your father will soon be a happy person man! The car gives out lots of nostalgic satisfaction when driven around for some time. I sincerely hope he'll be satisfied too.
Guys

I do not need consolation.

I do know that these issues can be sorted out by taking it to 1 or more garages who know their stuff. As you know, we've already found a garage near my dad's home where the owner has rebuilt his own Landmaster.

The point is - we are at this stage today after having spent money liberally and after having given the garage a free hand and practically a blank cheque!

I did not have the time to run from garage to garage to build this car bit by bit. I also did not have the patience to do that. This is why I sacrificed the budget and gave them a free hand to do what was required. THIS WAS A TURNKEY JOB!

If I have to spend close to 5 lakhs and still run around from the a/c shop to the power steering expert to the engine guy to the chap who fixes the window channels, something is seriously wrong.

And people should be aware and beware. Not get carried away by the glossy paintjob - they should know that the beauty is (barely) skin deep.

Last edited by Steeroid : 28th July 2008 at 12:53.
Old 28th July 2008, 13:16   #486
BHPian

I completely agree with steer, but please keep one ting in mind, the moment the garage guys understand that the moment they undertand that you want the vehicle in perfection thay extarxt the maximum money where lot many things we have to get it done by personally standing in the garage. The people in the garage most of the times are non cooperative.
Old 28th July 2008, 14:48   #487
BANNED

Shocking. No consolation , but still no pardon for guys behind the whole fiasco.

I also agree with you steer that Beauty is not the glossy paint job, but has to be inside out.Will keep this in mind for my new restoration project.

Best of Luck for the next process Steer, Wish your Landie comes out with flying colours.
Old 28th July 2008, 18:57   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Shocking. No consolation , but still no pardon for guys behind the whole fiasco.

I also agree with you steer that Beauty is not the glossy paint job, but has to be inside out.Will keep this in mind for my new restoration project.

Best of Luck for the next process Steer, Wish your Landie comes out with flying colours.
I was watching this thread for sometime, and am sad to know what a shoddy job has been done, despite Steer pouring heart and soul (not to mention cash) into this project. I pray that the second garage you have found will do a better job, and not give you headaches. Steer, I found your enthusiasm and ideas really inspiring. Thanks for sharing your experiences, it was an eye-opener.
Old 28th July 2008, 20:49   #489
BHPian

Considering this is an early amby, a car that India knows so well I cannot understand why there can be so many problems with it. Haven't we all heard of conti, matadors and so many other engines that have been plonked into an amby. I feel really sad that the experience turned out sour. I think I would be pulling my hair out too. Lets hope she gets fixed ASAP so we can forget whatz happened.
Old 28th July 2008, 21:54   #490
Senior - BHPian

If we can have the name of the dealer when we report a bad TD vehicle or a bad service/delivery experience highlighted in other threads then why can we not have the name of the dealer who cheated Steer of his hard earned money on his beloved project??

Why this discrimination? Let others know who did it & let them take their own decisions.
Old 28th July 2008, 22:18   #491
Senior - BHPian

I have to agree with Ishaan. Even i had high hopes for this project and am not feeling happy about the way the project turned out to be. 5 lakhs is a huge amount and that kind of perfection is not visible in the mechanicals. More than money it's someone's expectations, hope and happiness that has been flushed down the drain.
Old 28th July 2008, 22:52   #492
Team-BHP Support

Well guys, Name of the garage or the person is not going to be here. There were problems and Steer has mentioned that. Anybody is interested to know the details, please contact Steer.
Old 28th July 2008, 23:02   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
If we can have the name of the dealer when we report a bad TD vehicle or a bad service/delivery experience highlighted in other threads then why can we not have the name of the dealer who cheated Steer of his hard earned money on his beloved project??

Why this discrimination? Let others know who did it & let them take their own decisions.
Exactly. Why is there different strokes for different folks? Because the workshop is owned by Desert Fox a- t-BHP-ian, as indicated in the first post?

I love t-BHP, but this sort of moderation irks me.
Old 28th July 2008, 23:07   #494
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Well guys, Name of the garage or the person is not going to be here. There were problems and Steer has mentioned that. Anybody is interested to know the details, please contact Steer.
Shankar,iraghava,bluestraveller, Sid and kuttapan

Well its obvious, anyone seriously goes through the whole thread will have a fair idea, But since the seniors wants to keep it under wraps its ok, i think we need to keep it that way.

Not deviating from the topic and keeping with the spirits of this passionate thread, Steer bhai lets know whats up with your Landie as of now.cheers:

"Picture abhi baaki hain mere dost"

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 28th July 2008 at 23:09.
Old 28th July 2008, 23:08   #495
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
I love t-BHP, but this sort of moderation irks me.
Preciously the reason why we don't allow mud slinging.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks