Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2008, 21:14   #406
Distinguished - BHPian

Those Jalwa horns (if they indeed are) were a knock off of the Japanese Mitsubas, which were in turn a knowck off of a Claxon model. They sound simply superb, and very period. They were available new in the 70s for a princely sum of 74 rupees. I paid around 500 I think for my set 5 years back. Get the red tops powdercoated, they will look stunning.
Attached Thumbnails
My Landmaster Project-jalwa01.jpg  

Old 14th July 2008, 21:43   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Why the petrol smell in the car? I too have this problem at times on my Amby Avigo.
I think it is a feature that we mistake for a bug.

Seriously, that Jalwa horn (thanks Quicksilver!) can make you jump out of your skin. JayD gave me the Jalwa treatment while I was directing the car into the parking lot at my apartment, and I was shocked.

Engine is running at a notch higher than 80 after the a/c fitment. Is this natural, or do I need to worry?
Old 14th July 2008, 21:48   #408
BANNED

A notch higher than 80? You mean temperature?

I think we should redirect a bit of cold air to the engine from the AC then. What say?
Old 14th July 2008, 22:09   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Those Jalwa horns (if they indeed are) were a knock off of the Japanese Mitsubas, which were in turn a knowck off of a Claxon model. They sound simply superb, and very period. They were available new in the 70s for a princely sum of 74 rupees. I paid around 500 I think for my set 5 years back. Get the red tops powdercoated, they will look stunning.
Am I glad I have 3 sets of them! :greedy:

500, whoa! I paid like 300 for the last one I bought at madras, first 2 I bought in bulk alongwith many other spares from the same cars, sneaked them away before he could chance to look at them and quote a price.....hehehe!
Old 14th July 2008, 22:12   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Engine is running at a notch higher than 80 after the a/c fitment. Is this natural, or do I need to worry?
My Avigo too gets above 80, on hot days, so your are not alone.
Old 15th July 2008, 10:44   #411
Senior - BHPian

Was great to drive around town in igloo last night! Looks real menacing when seen with the lights on,and one almost expects two machine gun holding gangsters sticking out of the windows!

The Horn was freakin loud and was fun scaring most of the people on the road, even though we dont have a vid of it, the effect was kinda the same as this one

Last edited by aah78 : 17th July 2008 at 03:32. Reason: Expletive removed.
Old 15th July 2008, 12:52   #412
BHPian

Man somebody should upload a video of what this baby can do on the road. And Who has the formula for the paint that is currently on the car , what make and what clear coat went into this beauty ?

Last edited by muneemmk : 15th July 2008 at 12:55.
Old 15th July 2008, 22:45   #413
Senior - BHPian

Update: The car is now in the workshop to get some issues fixed, stuff like, the rear right leaf, which needs a lil work, the Window winders all need to be reset, and a lil rattle there a little squeak here etc. The work will hopefully be done in two days.

Also, when the Ac is used, the car's temp goes up very fast to the danger level, what can be done to solve it?? The Radiator is the largest one possible, tho Nikki suggests we get a 4 core radiator fixed. Need to check that option out, any other suggestions??
Old 15th July 2008, 22:55   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Also, when the Ac is used, the car's temp goes up very fast to the danger level, what can be done to solve it?? The Radiator is the largest one possible, tho Nikki suggests we get a 4 core radiator fixed. Need to check that option out, any other suggestions??
Is she running a single fan or a dual fan setup? Are the fan(s) working properly? If it's a single fan setup is it a dual speed fan or a single speed one?
Old 15th July 2008, 22:56   #415
BANNED

Quote:
Update: The car is now in the workshop to get some issues fixed, stuff like, the rear right leaf, which needs a lil work, the Window winders all need to be reset, and a lil rattle there a little squeak here etc. The work will hopefully be done in two days.

Hey guys,

If the engine is done up recently, doesnt it require some more of a run-in, i think once it settles down later the temperature rising would not be of an issue.

The usual practice would be the condensor is fitted in front of the radiator, which anyways blocks direct air to the radiator.

I've seen a landy get an additional fan for the radiator as well as the condensor. Both fitted seperately and cooled seperately.

Sorry if i have quoted this wrongly, havent been able to peek into the engine room of Steers Landy.
Old 15th July 2008, 23:02   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Is she running a single fan or a dual fan setup? Are the fan(s) working properly? If it's a single fan setup is it a dual speed fan or a single speed one?
She has a single Fan, and its working fine, IIRC, its a single speed one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Hey guys,

If the engine is done up recently, doesnt it require some more of a run-in, i think once it settles down later the temperature rising would not be of an issue.

The usual practice would be the condensor is fitted in front of the radiator, which anyways blocks direct air to the radiator.

I've seen a landy get an additional fan for the radiator as well as the condensor. Both fitted seperately and cooled seperately.

Sorry if i have quoted this wrongly, havent been able to peek into the engine room of Steers Landy.
Pavan, The engine is not new, so i dont think it needs to be run in. The eng is real smooth and powerful too.

Before the A/C was fitted, the temp was 80+/- 5, but now, after 5 mins of A/C use, it starts climbing to 120!!

The condensor is in front of the radiator, and yes it blocks the air to the radiator, we need to do something about the additional fan ASAP.
Old 15th July 2008, 23:35   #417
BHPian

it would also make sense to see if the temperature gauge is working properly. I'm not sure if its a new one.
Old 15th July 2008, 23:59   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
it would also make sense to see if the temperature gauge is working properly. I'm not sure if its a new one.
Its a brand new one alright, and it works correctly too.
Old 16th July 2008, 00:12   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
She has a single Fan, and its working fine, IIRC, its a single speed one.
That's the problem JD. The single speed fan is not enough to handle the temperature with the additional load of the A/C. She needs to either be fitted with dual fans or a dual-speed fan (if that can handle the load). Dual fans however, are much more effective & recommended.
Old 16th July 2008, 00:23   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
That's the problem JD. The single speed fan is not enough to handle the temperature with the additional load of the A/C. She needs to either be fitted with dual fans or a dual-speed fan (if that can handle the load). Dual fans however, are much more effective & recommended.
Dual fans?? 'havent heard of these before! 'am curious to know what they look like- pics. anyone?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks