Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2009, 20:41   #136
Senior - BHPian

Wowie Karl, this is stunning ! The fabrication jobs you mentioned are truly impressive. Can't wait to see her in the flesh. This warrants another spy trip to Pune I guess.
Old 4th May 2009, 22:18   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats, Herr Karl!

Your "herbie"'s turned out better than I expected!! Lovely!

You do plan to rechrome the chrome parts sometime I presume?

She looks so good even now, it is hard to notice the missing parts (lucky for you I guess!)

Promise me we'll do a Herbie with her (although not an official race, just a run-around-town) when I visit Pune next in future....IF you don't want her stolen!

Although IMHO, not putting the fenderskirts on at present would do her more justice.

And sorry I couldn't be of help to you in procuring the 2 rims you wanted, from my friend here!

If you still want them, I'll try asking him again.
Old 5th May 2009, 09:46   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
You do plan to rechrome the chrome parts sometime I presume?

Although IMHO, not putting the fenderskirts on at present would do her more justice.

And sorry I couldn't be of help to you in procuring the 2 rims you wanted, from my friend here!

If you still want them, I'll try asking him again.
Many thanks.

The bumpers have rot set in pretty deep. Local chrome will just not last, unless it is a ridiculously expensive job - then too results are not guaranteed. It is just a waste of precious resources that are already so scarce - the restoration has been on a shoe string budget. The plan is to import a good set at some point - lets see. I will chrome the hubcaps though as they are in good shape. Lets see how they turn out.

Am still undecided on the fender skirts, let her come home, then lets see. So much effort went into them Im feeling guilty to abandon them so soon.

One can never have too many rims for this car. A couple are pretty rusty anyways.
Old 6th May 2009, 00:23   #139
Senior - BHPian

Well Karl, Herbie looks very nice. You told me that she drives well.
Let the chrome be for a while, keep the paint and paint the inside too.
Let the wheel spats be for the time being. They suit, even if not 100% authentic.
Take her to work in Aurangabad and show them who is the boss, afterall VW owns Skoda!

Cheers harit
Old 6th May 2009, 10:42   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Take her to work in Aurangabad and show them who is the boss, afterall VW owns Skoda!
Am very very tempted, if only I had parking here. I have a better idea, a Beetle club drive to the new VW plant in Chakan. Not too far, joining us with your Karmann Ghia and Microbus?
Old 6th May 2009, 11:38   #141
BHPian

Karl, Herbie's definitely turned out to be a beauty. Congratulations Bro, and I can completely empathize with you regarding the step by step job to bring it to perfection. All the very best.

Karl, don't you think it would be befitting for you to post a step by step on the restoration done? It would definitely be a good reference material for many on this forum and a motivation too.
Old 6th May 2009, 11:55   #142
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Hehe, coyly I must admit right now the bumpers and wheelcaps are painted silver, till I find a long-lasting chromewalla. I haven't taken any good pictures, the car was dirty and in the wrong setting. Let her come home, let her be polished then we'll take some good pictures.

Note the taillights have been completely fabricated by hand, I was very impressed.
, Wow Karl, Congratulations in getting this restoration completed in this century.

Very well restored. Congrats again, some engine and interior pics welcome.
Old 6th May 2009, 12:00   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Karl, don't you think it would be befitting for you to post a step by step on the restoration done? It would definitely be a good reference material for many on this forum and a motivation too.
Will do so in due time. I take no credit for it, a couple of friends just said enough is enough and got it completed on their own, seeing I was going nowhere with it. Too distracted by Fiats.

EDIT - Pavan, these are all the pics I have for the moment (that too graciously shot by President). Shall get good shots in a couple of weeks after bringing to Pune and polishing.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 6th May 2009 at 12:08.
Old 6th May 2009, 13:14   #144
BHPian

Sweet, very sweet. well done, Karl.

What about the powerplant, particularly the engine and the differential? Electricals - voltage?
Old 6th May 2009, 13:30   #145
BANNED

Quote:
Will do so in due time. I take no credit for it, a couple of friends just said enough is enough and got it completed on their own, seeing I was going nowhere with it. Too distracted by Fiats.

EDIT - Pavan, these are all the pics I have for the moment (that too graciously shot by President). Shall get good shots in a couple of weeks after bringing to Pune and polishing.
Karl,

Why dont you have a dedicated thread on your Oval Bug, It reserves one space particulary on its restoration story.
Old 6th May 2009, 13:36   #146
BHPian

Karl, you better pick her up asap and disappear with it to Pune or Aurangabad before I decide to steal her and disappear.
I thought my heart beats faster when I see a tempting FIAT.
But this time my heart stopped a beat to say "VOW" when we saw it last.

Truly Amazing! Awesome! Kudos to our VW man.
Old 6th May 2009, 13:50   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
before I decide to steal her and disappear.
Rony, you and I doing something like that wouldn't be difficult to catch. People would know that with the loot in hand we will head for the closest decent eatery in town!
Old 6th May 2009, 14:10   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Sweet, very sweet. well done, Karl.

What about the powerplant, particularly the engine and the differential? Electricals - voltage?
Many thanks. Converted to 12V for practicality. Original engine was thankfully salvaged. Electronic ignition so no hassles of points, you can see the unit in the engine bay. Ugly to look at, but a practical consideration. Carb etc all original, including the rare early air filter. Maruti 800 master cylinder provides braking till I get the original.

Quote:
Rony, you and I doing something like that wouldn't be difficult to catch. People would know that with the loot in hand we will head for the closest decent eatery in town!
Hehehe, touche'
Old 6th May 2009, 20:25   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Prabal, you bet!

@Karl - After having such a lovely and rare VW in the collection, the 3 F's will now have to be changed to FFFVW.
Old 6th May 2009, 22:15   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The bumpers have rot set in pretty deep. Local chrome will just not last, unless it is a ridiculously expensive job - then too results are not guaranteed. It is just a waste of precious resources that are already so scarce
BTW, I've noticed the oval had 2 options of bumpers- one is the set with the longer/thicker guards and top bars, as on your car, and other relatively plain one with the shorter guards on others (including the junked oval I remember seeing here).....I like the former though for this model!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks