Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 20:21   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Quite a coincidence indeed, since we were sitting in the same car while I saw it
While both you guys are at it, please find me a beetle, Oh yes and make it cheap!!
Old 28th July 2009, 20:56   #287
Senior - BHPian

My friend had fixed up a purple blue sunroof car of the same vintage in Mumbai for the Pune owner some years ago it was LHD or RHD can't remember he had put the aftermarket old amby style tan steering cover with holes in them did this have the same?
Old 28th July 2009, 21:09   #288
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quite a coincidence indeed, since we were sitting in the same car while I saw it
Come on, you haven't had a drive in my split yet.
Old 29th July 2009, 10:42   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
My friend had fixed up a purple blue sunroof car of the same vintage in Mumbai for the Pune owner some years ago it was LHD or RHD can't remember he had put the aftermarket old amby style tan steering cover with holes in them did this have the same?
Perhaps this is the car you speak of? Haven't seen it in 10-15 years.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/916092-post14.html
Old 29th July 2009, 11:11   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps this is the car you speak of? Haven't seen it in 10-15 years.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/916092-post14.html
who are the cute little boy and girl in these pics.
Old 29th July 2009, 11:20   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
who are the cute little boy and girl in these pics.
That would be me and the sister in a holiday in Goa. The only reason I always insisted we go to Goa were the Beetles.
Old 29th July 2009, 11:40   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
While both you guys are at it, please find me a beetle, Oh yes and make it cheap!!
There was a beetle (1960) for sale about a week back in Bombay, paper intact and Bombay registration. Red in colour. Engine was OK but the body required work. Rumioured to have been sold for 1.25 lacs couple of days back. Let me validate and get back to you. Did manage to see the car at the Baand.
Old 29th July 2009, 18:22   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
There was a beetle (1960) for sale about a week back in Bombay, paper intact and Bombay registration. Red in colour. Engine was OK but the body required work. Rumioured to have been sold for 1.25 lacs couple of days back. Let me validate and get back to you. Did manage to see the car at the Baand.
I went to see this car last month with my pal who you know and lives around the area, The body was in bad shape and had started to settle down, most trims were missing, Complete interiors would have to be redone, and I know from someone who had worked on the car that the engine needed to be overhauled. In short It would have been a very very expensive restoration. And according to my math would have cost me above 4-4.5 lakhs in the end. At that price I think there are some really well restored beetles available. Why take the headache to restore one. Or that kind of money is better spent restoring a rarer car.

But If the car indeed sold for that price I would say one should invest in cars not stock! (more than 100% return) in this market by just having cars lie out in an open compound.
Old 30th July 2009, 10:45   #294
Senior - BHPian

Recently in Germany I visited the Karl Benz Museum in Ladenburg near Mannheim. Nice cozy Museum, they have other interesting cars too. One was a split Beetle, with an accessory called Vibulator. Basically it is a clear plastic device mounted on the bonnet and is supposed to deflect the wind and thus keep dirt at bay. Maybe even improve aerodynamics. Have a look. This would be nice addition to the beetle of 67Bug. If he keeps on adding accessories then he may have to uprate the engine.
And since no split bugs around, posted pics of the whole car too.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-beetle-1.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-beetle-2.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-beetle-3.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-beetle-5.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 30th July 2009, 12:43   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
And since no split bugs around, posted pics of the whole car too.
Did split bugs ever come to India? If no what could have been the possible reason?
Old 30th July 2009, 12:49   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Did split bugs ever come to India? If no what could have been the possible reason?
I hear a car or 2 may exist, but no visible confirmation.

VWs really started pushing their exports later in the 50s (the Split ceased in 53). Early VWs that came to India came from Goa, either through the authorised local dealer (Margao Motors?) or through many people returning from Africa, Portugal etc. Perhaps they were introduced to Goa only later.

More importantly, the worlwide mammoth popularity of the Beetle began only in the 50s. Production during WW2 and the late 40s was pretty negligible.

EDIT - Harit, while the Beetle above looks in great shape with the original grooved bumpers, pope's nose number plate light and shade too (agave green/dove grey?), it is let down by later and larger 'snowflake' taillights, offered from around 55 to 61. A grooved bumper Split would have had small circular tail light lenses.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 30th July 2009 at 12:53.
Old 30th July 2009, 17:19   #297
Senior - BHPian

haritji,
the period accessory you have mentioned is also called windshield deflector and is available in many colours.will cost around USD40 in US.
SINKO was a famous brand specializing in this.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 2600375.bmp (351.6 KB, 173 views)
Old 30th July 2009, 23:24   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EDIT - Harit, while the Beetle above looks in great shape with the original grooved bumpers, pope's nose number plate light and shade too (agave green/dove grey?), it is let down by later and larger 'snowflake' taillights, offered from around 55 to 61. A grooved bumper Split would have had small circular tail light lenses.
Next time I visit this place I will enquire. But why not keep focused on the subject?

Cheers harit
Old 31st July 2009, 11:26   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Next time I visit this place I will enquire. But why not keep focused on the subject?

Cheers harit
Forgive me sir, but I thought I would contribute by educating on originality for anybody restoring their early split window. We shall now get back to wind/bug deflectors
Old 31st July 2009, 11:43   #300
Senior - BHPian

Another picture of a bug, which I believe wa recently sold. Note the sunroof, no idea if that was original.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-vw-sunroof.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks