Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2009, 16:42   #331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
Just bought a 1971 Baywindow. Originally imported into India by Redcross - Kolkatta. It is in a decent shape with lots of Originial parts still intact. Was in storage for few years and getting the engine tuned up at the moment.

Ordered for a Birthcertificate too from the Stiftung museum in Germany and thought I will share with all of you as it makes a very interesting read and was impressed with the Accessories which came with the Type "27" which means Ambulance as per as coding of Volkswagen. Hope you folks enjoy it.
are they still charging EURO35 for the certificate or is it more?
by the way a lot of baywindow ambulances/bedford/chevrolet ambulances were scrapped in kerala because of 2 reasons,one they had become rustbundles, and two vehicles used as ambulances dont have much takers here .
there is a chevrolet hearsewagon (RHD) in Quilon which the owner is trying to sell as a sportswagon asking an atrocious price
Old 29th August 2009, 20:26   #332
Senior - BHPian

there is a very well maintained Beetle in JP Nagar 5th phase (bangalore) next to vijay wheel alignment on the ring road. He's also got a mahindra legend. I've never taken a pic but if any of you guys live around there, try to talk to him. it looks like he takes care of his cars really well.
Old 29th August 2009, 20:46   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
there is a very well maintained Beetle in JP Nagar 5th phase (bangalore) next to vijay wheel alignment on the ring road. He's also got a mahindra legend. I've never taken a pic but if any of you guys live around there, try to talk to him. it looks like he takes care of his cars really well.
i am not sure, but I think you are talking of NAREN4140, a BHPIAN
Old 29th August 2009, 20:50   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
oh is it so? I'd not spotted a pic of that car around. Or maybe I never looked in the right threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Quote:
oh is it so? I'd not spotted a pic of that car around. Or maybe I never looked in the right threads.
you're right. It is him. just saw his thread.

Last edited by GTO : 30th August 2009 at 20:42. Reason: Requested Merge
Old 29th August 2009, 22:12   #335
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
Just bought a 1971 Baywindow. Originally imported into India by Redcross - Kolkatta. It is in a decent shape with lots of Originial parts still intact. Was in storage for few years and getting the engine tuned up at the moment.

Hope you folks enjoy it.
Dude. Where are the pics man..

Nice Sid, we both share a similar garage (he he) a 1500 1967 VW Bug and a 1971 VW Baywindow.

Quote:
Yes its my buddy Narens car

He's so damn attached to the car, he says he converses with his car every time and very well maintained too, even better than my Beetle.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-img_1081.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-img_1084.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 29th August 2009 at 22:14.
Old 4th October 2009, 13:59   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a really superb example of a pre 66 Bug (64-65?). I had seen it last at a rally from Bombay and Pune simultaneously terminating at Lonavala, Amby Valley some years back. It appears to be beautifully preserved, with nothing out of place. I loved the period gravel guards (I have bought a repro set for my Bug).

Classic Volkswagens in India-bug01.jpg
Classic Volkswagens in India-bug02.jpg
Classic Volkswagens in India-bug03.jpg
Classic Volkswagens in India-bug04.jpg
Classic Volkswagens in India-bug08.jpg

I do not recall if I have posted these pictures before.
Old 4th October 2009, 19:02   #337
BHPian

Quote:
If only God grants me those rotting beauties( all of the rotting ones ) and some money, I'll put them back to its original glory
Join the queue Pavan! Apart from me, there are only about 3 million people ahead of us, waiting for God's front office to open, to submit their applications for rotting vans & cars and financial assistance for restoration.
On a happier note after seeing all these sad rotting hulks, are photos of well restored and used VWs seen during a recent trip to Europe and the UK. The cream and grey Beetle was at Le Mans, the two vans were at Beaulieu.
Hope this is not considered off topic, but for vehicles as far gone as some displayed, why not go to the other extreme and build a caravan body or something customised? Provided of course, that God agrees to be a partner in crime!
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-new_001.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-new_002.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-zzj_dsc04098.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-zzj_dsc04099.jpg  

tonrag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2009, 13:42   #338
BHPian

hey guys these are the pics of a vw show that i participated (without car)in cologne Germany may 08
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-one.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-two.jpg  

Old 7th October 2009, 00:49   #339
Senior - BHPian

This one's especially for karl!

'came across this little shocking pink surprise under restoration at a wayside garage under a flyover bridge when I was passing under it to take a U-turn onto the main road yesterday.
I couldn't believe what I saw! First time I'm seeing an oval beetle in Hyderabad in years! The last having been a junking yellow one (regn. MDB 508 or so) at another garage nearly 10 years ago.
According to Karl, this car is an early oval, dating from '53-55.

Classic Volkswagens in India-img_2566.jpg

Classic Volkswagens in India-img_2567.jpg

Classic Volkswagens in India-img_2568.jpg

Classic Volkswagens in India-img_2569.jpg

Classic Volkswagens in India-img_2570.jpg

Nothing to get shocked about the pink though, I was told that its (thankfully!) just an undercoat, the actual colour to be painted being red. Phew!

But I'm just not too impressed by the quality of the paintjob (must even the steering wheel and indicator levers be painted over?? And the guages should have been removed by all means! ) even though the bodywork seems to have turned out well.

I would give a car like this at a far better-equipped/sophisticated workshop! And Hyd. does have many to think of.

I was told that it belongs to a very wealthy guy from a posh area of the city, who is said to own 40 vintage/classic cars (competing with PB/VM?!) and left the car in charge of his mechanic to do up. The car was said to have been rotting away unused until it was picked up to be restored.

I wanted to check out the engine too but was in a hurry to deposit some amount in a friend's account, so rushed off. The guy did tell me some "alterations" were done with the engine to ge tit working though. I suspect however, that at the most it could've got a different carb, a la pavan kadam's VWs!

He told me that it would be done in a week or so, and I could check it out again if I wanted to. 'first thought I was in the press when I asked about taking pics.!

And for a rather surprising revelation- this is another car that I've always been fond of, or any pre '66 Beetle for that matter!
But even if it ever did come up for sale, I won't be surprised if the price is sky-high!

Last edited by Stanher : 7th October 2009 at 00:58.
Old 7th October 2009, 00:55   #340
Senior - BHPian

I see a white VW Caravelle in Koramangala .
I dare not try to snap it.
Old 7th October 2009, 04:12   #341
BHPian

Pink must be the in color this year,took this pic earlier this year in Prems in Goa.although not an oval. Thats great to see an oval being restored.
and only the third one i have seen in India.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-hpim0776.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-r4.jpg  

Old 7th October 2009, 04:28   #342
Senior - BHPian

check this out a vw beetle restored last year by us in pink also http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...ml#post1400501
Old 7th October 2009, 09:13   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw splitscreen View Post
Pink must be the in color this year,took this pic earlier this year in Prems in Goa.although not an oval. Thats great to see an oval being restored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
check this out a vw beetle restored last year by us in pink also http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...ml#post1400501
Nice cars! Well, pink may have been offered as an option even on ovals (karl could confirm), but this car wasn't in that colour. As the painter told me, it's only a base coat and it was originally in "German red", is to be repainted in the same.

Last edited by Stanher : 7th October 2009 at 09:16.
Old 7th October 2009, 09:56   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
This one's especially for karl!

According to Karl, this car is an early oval, dating from '53-55.
Many thanks Shyam, that is a rare find as far as Indian VWs go. Since it sports the 'batwing' steering wheel and straight gear lever, I would date it between 54 and 55. The twin exhausts came out in 56, so I assume it is a later addition on this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw splitscreen View Post
Actually it is an oval Bug - see the dash, smaller front windscreen and 'W' decklid. Like many cars in Goa, this oval seems to have been 'upgraded' with a larger rear windscreen. I should think by now there are atleast 10 Ovals known to me in India - One with me (), one with Baretto GDA, one in Baroda, one in Bombay MRD, one in South India, this pink cut up car along with another junker in Goa, (badly altered), red carbio in Bombay BMF - who am I forgetting? Oh yes the green GDA from Goa that went to Delhi.

Shyam, I doubt pink was offered (at least on Ovals) but there was a lovely bright orange colour called Coral Red.

Also, does this Hyd car have semaphores?

Last edited by karlosdeville : 7th October 2009 at 09:58.
Old 7th October 2009, 12:27   #345
Senior - BHPian

karl, which is the south INDIAN oval and where is it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks