Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2009, 11:58   #91
BHPian

Latest Update

OK Team,

Some more update from some work done after I voted yesterday.

The rear mudguard had been sprayed with underbody rubber spray and had dried up over the last 1 week.

The mudguard now went into the scoot and 4 stainless steel nuts and bolts were used to mount it into position which were then sealed off with black silicon to avoid any possible water intrusion through the hole surrounds.

The original Rear Mudguard Rubber buffer was also installed - its a rubber buffer between the rear mudguard and the frame - avoids vibrations of the rear mudguard. See the pics.

The tail light was mounted using the original rectangular headed bolts. Some day I will have to change the taillight housing as it is cracked in 1 place and ofcourse the tail light mounting bar is missing. So am still looking for the two items - if any one has the original s2 alloy tail light and mounting bar - help me!

The original cream colored tail light rubber beading was sourced from Italy and installed as is visible in the pics below.

Some more work is being done over the long weekend and will keep you guys posted.

Enjoy the pics.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc02846.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc02847.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc02848.jpg  

Old 8th May 2009, 20:24   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey saurabh,

As usual, great to see more updates from you on your lovely scoot!

Thanks for the info. on the mudguard buffer- I'd seen quite a few of these posted on ebay but had no clue where they fit then! So didn't buy one.

If you have a spare, well and good. Else I guess it can be cut out from a rubber block?

Reg. the tail-lamp housing, I know this sounds stupid but I'm not able to find the spare used one I have or recall where I'd last kept it!
Am still searching and will let you know once it's found, sorry!
Old 9th May 2009, 00:36   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Thanks for the info. on the mudguard buffer- I'd seen quite a few of these posted on ebay but had no clue where they fit then! So didn't buy one.

If you have a spare, well and good. Else I guess it can be cut out from a rubber block?
I'd also like to know the same. I know where to get all types of rubber pads etc. But I'm not sure which kind to pick up and cut to size. Basically, it should not melt and lose its shape. Maybe those rubber pads they put under the AC exhausts fitted on building's terraces can be modified and used as a mudguard buffer.
Old 11th May 2009, 13:27   #94
BHPian

Mudguard Buffer

Well, well, well! An original part is an original part!

If you are not going to use an original part then ofcourse you can use ANY part, material and shape that suits your budget and restoration level.

As I said my philosophy is concourse restoration. And I am sticking to that.

By the way its not a high heat area so the rubber will not melt. You can use any good quality rubber and cut it and paste it.

My advise still though is to go for the original stuff. Its these small things that make a difference in good restoration.

Cheers!
Old 11th May 2009, 14:52   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA7VA5 View Post
Well, well, well! An original part is an original part!

If you are not going to use an original part then ofcourse you can use ANY part, material and shape that suits your budget and restoration level.

My advise still though is to go for the original stuff. Its these small things that make a difference in good restoration.
Saurabh, I did mean IF and only IF you don't have a spare available at present, would I want to cut up a good piece of rubber as an ALTERNATIVE only.

As long as an original one is available, I'm a taker (and even sucker) for it! Period.
Old 11th May 2009, 18:49   #96
BHPian

Mudguard buffer

Hi stanher, just placed the order for your new mudguard buffer. Will be here in a week. So no need to cut a piece of rubber and shove it in its place!

Cheers!
Old 22nd July 2009, 15:17   #97
BHPian

Hi Latest Updates

Hi Team,

Was a little out of action for 2 reasons - one - my wife was pregnant and we had our second child a baby boy born on the 7th ofJuly therefore the resto job took a back seat and second - I had ordered some awesome parts and tools that got stuck in customs! Had a great time dealing with these guys. This was the first time that I ordered something on my own and not through my guy and here I was stuck - running from pillar to post to get the consignment cleared. So I have taken a vow NEVER ever to order my self but use the services of our friend who orders and gets the parts.

Ok so here is the update.

Engine build has been going on - slow and steady. The Layshaft and all gear plates have been replaced with genuine new SIL parts. All the bearings are either new INA Germany bearings or FAG bearings or genuine SKF bearings. The oils seals are all ROLF Germany seals that were the original supplier to Lambretta Innocenti.

The Crank has been replaced with a Genuine SIL new Crank.

I have to run for a meeting but more is coming soon. With new pics.

Cheers!
Old 22nd July 2009, 15:33   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA7VA5 View Post
we had our second child a baby boy born on the 7th ofJuly
Congratulations Saurav, to you all. Do convey it to grandpa Tutu also!
Old 22nd July 2009, 16:44   #99
BHPian

Thanks Prabal,

Will pass on your greetings! Thanks a bunch.

Ok to continue with the update.

A new stand has been installed using stainless steel bolts and nuts and also modified to have rubber bump stoppers so that the stand does not go and bang against the crossmember on the frame when the scoot is taken off the stand.

IN the front all the bearing and bearing mounts have been changed. The front fork rubber stoppers have been changed with new one and stainless steel bolts and washers have been used to mount them. New springs and spring guides are being used in the front fork. Have imported a special tool to compress the spring to mount the lower fork link.

Special imported fork bearings from UK and the front fork fits very well with these bearings and new bearing guides.

The collar has also been installed duly chromed.

The handle bar lower has been assembled off the scoot. Special high tensile bolts have been used to mount the fork to handle collar. New lock has been installed and a special lock pin disc cover has been procured.

New clutch from Surflex Italy has been ordered with mating metal discs and high spring rate springs.

A new grey colored wiring harness from Casa Lambretta is already in and will shortly go onto the machine.

A new CEV Innocenti NOS Headlamp glass and reflector is ready to go into the headlight assembly now. A new imported Tail Lamp lens is also ready to go into the machine.

The speedometer needle had faded out and that has been painted in the original shade.

A set of special Mudguard mounting lugs have been incorporated into the standardlegshield.

A full set of imported Special Tools for Lambretta are now available with me to do the rest of the engine assembly and scooter assembly job.

After my scooter is assembled I plan to loan these out to other resto enthusiasts at a minor charge to ensure that all of you will have access to these tools.

Ok here you go with the pics.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc02905.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc02906.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc02972.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc02975.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc02980.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03038.jpg  

Last edited by SA7VA5 : 22nd July 2009 at 16:50.
Old 22nd July 2009, 17:15   #100
BANNED

wonderful work
even i want to work on my lambretta like this soon
can u help me get a good garage in Bangalore experienced with Lambrettas ?

Note from Mods : Please use punctuation properly. Take a look at this thread (Expected Posting Etiquette) for details. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd July 2009 at 19:23. Reason: Please see the note that has been put at the end of your post by the Support Team.
Old 22nd July 2009, 20:43   #101
BHPian

tHE BEST WAY

Hi Sujith

The best way to get these kind of results is to do it yourself or under very very tight qauality control and supervision.

Ok here are some more pics of parts and tools that have just come in...

dont missout the ONE AND ONLY LAMBRETTA PETROL GUAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surflex Italian clutch kit, Fork Compressor Tool, Rear Hub Extractor, Tail Light Lens.....the works!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03050.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc02981.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc02982.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03036.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03039.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03044.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03053.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03051.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03046.jpg  

Old 22nd July 2009, 22:47   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Congratulations Saurav, to you all. Do convey it to grandpa Tutu also!
Congratulations for the baby. Hope its doing fine as ever!
Saw your Lambretta restoration pictures. Wonderful job being done.
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:02   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Congratulations for the baby. Hope its doing fine as ever!.
Yes, both his babies seem to be doing fine, even this one!
Old 27th July 2009, 13:22   #104
BHPian

Update

Hi

Both my babies are doing great as Stanher puts it!

This weekend saw an awesome lot of progress.

The pleasure of doing things right and doing things with your own hands is just simply superb.

Well this weekend saw the engine assembly complete and it has gone into the scoot last evening.

The best of it was that my father actually helped me mount the engine into the scoot by putting the long spindle bolt himself while I held the engine in place. The look of love in his eyes was simply amazing.

I managed to source high performance high temperature grease for engine build as specified by Lambretta Works, England.

Genune Surflex Clutch cork plates and metal driven plates along with Surflex high performance springs were installed. Genune API Clutch bell was also installed.

Rolon Chain with the imported Scooter Restorations Nylon Upper Chain guide has been installed.

The Ducati genuine 6 volt Bottle Type Ignition Coil has been wired.

High quality high temperature resistant chrome plated Silencer bend pipe was installed.

The Head cowl cover has been installed to the engine using imported Stainless Steel bolts.

A high quality Chrome Plated rear shock and chrome plated kick has gone in too.

All locks are now stainless steel.

The engine cover was installed using the original BANKO ROYALE gasket and sealed using SUZUKI BOND.

The Engine Spindle has been chrome plated and new engine mounting cones were installed.

The kick shaft bushes were renewed and an original ROLF seal was installed.

The Flywheel will now be installed after the timiing is done properly.

Am attaching some pics for your reference.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03055.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03105.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03056.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03109.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03112.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03115.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03119.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03118.jpg  

Last edited by SA7VA5 : 27th July 2009 at 13:35.
Old 27th July 2009, 13:34   #105
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful restoration progress...cant wait to see the babies all ready to ride.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks