Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2008, 17:40   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
The semaphores I guess should have come with it's own rubber beedings, etc. If not, make sure the holes are sealed properly as otherwise rainwater can enter the most problematic area (running board) through the pillar.
The Landmaster semaphores never had rubber beading on them, nor was there any on the 'cutout'.
Old 9th December 2008, 22:50   #92
SYJ
BHPian

here are some pics of jayd's landmaster before restoration
Attached Thumbnails
My '57 Hindustan Landmaster Restoration. EDIT : Project complete. PICS on pg.11-dsc-169.jpg  

My '57 Hindustan Landmaster Restoration. EDIT : Project complete. PICS on pg.11-dsc-168.jpg  

My '57 Hindustan Landmaster Restoration. EDIT : Project complete. PICS on pg.11-dsc-170.jpg  

Old 11th December 2008, 22:14   #93
BHPian

JayD,

How long have you been keeping your Landy?

If my memory is correct, remember seeing this car some time back in front of a shop near Banerjee road. The car had tinted window glasses.

Also present with this car was a KLT reg. Mark I Ambi green in colour.
Have seen some other oldies too in front of that shop.

BTW, where is the restoration process going on?
Old 12th December 2008, 07:31   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
JayD,

How long have you been keeping your Landy?

If my memory is correct, remember seeing this car some time back in front of a shop near Banerjee road. The car had tinted window glasses.

Also present with this car was a KLT reg. Mark I Ambi green in colour.
Have seen some other oldies too in front of that shop.

BTW, where is the restoration process going on?
I've had this car for over 4 months now. Yes, it has green tinted windows. When did u see the car at banerjee road?? It must've been quite some time back as the car was lying unused for a long time when i found it.

The car is getting restored at vyttila.
Old 26th December 2008, 16:39   #95
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE: The car is almost in the paint stage, the putty work is more or less over, and the primer will go on in two days(Hopefully). Meanwhile, i was confused on what to do with the interiors. had a plan to make it in two tone green n white, but the original red was also in my mind. But then, today, all my doubts were cleared. I took the seats from the garage and found a lil spec of red in there somewhere, so i removed the ghastly felt seat covers, and Voila! the original covers are still under them!!! The covers were in good condition, but had all sorts of round depressions on them due to the cover which was put on them.Also, the white thing seen in the pix is the foam from the later seat covers sticking on!! Nevertheless,I am now making an exact replica of these seats in the same colour, and the doorpads too!!!

Here are some pix of the original seats!!
Attached Thumbnails
My '57 Hindustan Landmaster Restoration. EDIT : Project complete. PICS on pg.11-26122008123.jpg  

My '57 Hindustan Landmaster Restoration. EDIT : Project complete. PICS on pg.11-26122008124.jpg  

My '57 Hindustan Landmaster Restoration. EDIT : Project complete. PICS on pg.11-26122008126.jpg  

Last edited by JayD : 26th December 2008 at 16:42.
Old 26th December 2008, 20:14   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Good news JayD the work is progressing well. The Landy's original seats are a treat to watch. The car has the Amby OHV engine fitted to it.
Old 30th December 2008, 11:48   #97
BHPian

JayD, that colour will be nice on the landmaster ..
Old 30th December 2008, 14:48   #98
Senior - BHPian

Some pic. of the car please.
Old 1st January 2009, 18:36   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
Some pic. of the car please.
Here u go!
The car had some steering rattling issues, which needed attention. The old rack was worn out too badly, so it was replaced. At the same time, the engine was taken out and painted too. The Aluminium firewall for the electricals was fabricated and fitted. A custom wiring harness is being prepared for the car and will be hooked up one the paint is done.

The car was put in the booth yesterday for putting on the primer, which is now complete. The interior is being scraped, and tomorrow, another layer of putty will go on it. I really love the effort that the guy is putting into the fine detailing bits!
My '57 Hindustan Landmaster Restoration. EDIT : Project complete. PICS on pg.11-01012009017.jpg

My '57 Hindustan Landmaster Restoration. EDIT : Project complete. PICS on pg.11-01012009015.jpg

The guy claims this is how the water channels were shaped earlier. I have no knowledge on this, but it looks good!!
My '57 Hindustan Landmaster Restoration. EDIT : Project complete. PICS on pg.11-01012009019.jpg

The last traces of the 52 original paint, waiting to be scraped off!! Sob!!
My '57 Hindustan Landmaster Restoration. EDIT : Project complete. PICS on pg.11-01012009021.jpg

Last edited by JayD : 1st January 2009 at 18:41.
JayD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2009, 19:25   #100
Senior - BHPian

It will look awesome in this 52 original colour, retro colours especially emeralds are very in on the classic car scene.
Old 1st January 2009, 19:30   #101
Senior - BHPian

Soon this car will leave the paintshop as a beauty, and the space vacated by it will be taken up by another Landmaster bearing scars of a painful destoration work done earlier.
Old 2nd January 2009, 09:57   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Soon this car will leave the paintshop as a beauty, and the space vacated by it will be taken up by another Landmaster bearing scars of a painful destoration work done earlier.
Please post the photo's as the paint job is done.
Old 2nd January 2009, 15:24   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Ive noticed something strange on your car, the edges of the boot bottom. The corners curve instead of being pointed as on most cars. Any idea why?
Attached Thumbnails
My '57 Hindustan Landmaster Restoration. EDIT : Project complete. PICS on pg.11-23.jpg  

Old 2nd January 2009, 22:54   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Karl some Ambys (Mark 4 and later) originally too have these curves.Maybe the assembly line produces a few such Ambys.
I am not sure but is this Landmaster boot cover a new one of that shape? So maybe the bodyline boot edge has been rounded off on both sides.
I think JayD will be able to tell all about it.
Old 3rd January 2009, 11:04   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Ive noticed something strange on your car, the edges of the boot bottom. The corners curve instead of being pointed as on most cars. Any idea why?
Originally the bottom corners of the Amby's were always edges, and so I presume the Landmaster too. Those folks who have used an Amby regularly will tell you how many times they have banged this edge on their head. The lock system to keep the bootlid up was a genial British invention, with two flat rods in a scissor like action which had a slot to lock. It may have been a good system if made properly but here the rivets would losen up and then these would go sideways and not lock. So you rested the lid on your shoulder and placed the bootlid holder into position. That was when the idea struck me to make this edge round and others may have had the same idea. This faulty bootlid lock could be a result of worn out tooling.
Any other explanations?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks