Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2015, 16:23   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Restoration of MRF6466 - my 1967 Fiat 1100D

Dear all - well, here I am, updating this thread exactly after 1 year and 4 months!

After safely parking MRF6466 inside the closed garage at Nasik on 13 October 2013 (refer details some posts back), I went to Nasik on Sunday 05 April 2015 to get the car to Mumbai. As the battery was removed, I carried a battery and my full set of tools.

Started from Dadar, enjoyed the wonderful Nasik highway, reached the start of the long Nasik bridge at 0830 hrs, took the lower road, crossed Garware Naka and headed towards Pathardi Phata on my way to Ashwin Sector CIDCO, where the car was parked. Then, on a last minute impulse, just when I was outside the Jitendra Motors showroom (the good old M&M dealer and my daily evening haunt of some years back), I decided to have a sumptuous and leisurely breakfast, so turned into the Gateway Hotel which is at Pathardi Phata. The breakfast was excellent @ 1200 rupees for two persons. The reason for having breakfast here was to "just once have a very leisurely breakfast in a 5 star hotel without bothering with false smiles and irrelevant small talk as you eat your fried eggs, also trying to look busy to get into the conference thingy"! So today was an opportunity presented to me on a platter, not to be missed! So, gorged upto 1000 hrs! I also saw a group of corporate types in the restaurant trying to do exactly the same thing that I have mentioned, poor fellows! There was a board at the reception, "A Presentation by Dr.ABC on XYZ". Perfect!

From the Gateway, went to meet our very good senior citizen friends in their equally cute bungalow and spent an hour or so with them. It was a delight, sitting "aram-se" and talking to extremely simple and very decent people!

Then, went to where the car was parked and gingerly opened the rolling shutter after almost one and a half years as I did not want any mis-alignment issues. There was MRF6466, standing beneath the huge Bolero car cover. I brushed the dry dust off the cover and removed it, smiled quietly to myself how the hell I had managed to park it with just 2 mm clearance between the left taillight and the side wall (the car cover just slid in), 5 mm clearance between the right headlight ring and the sidewall and 5 mm clearance between the left headlight ring and the inner wall of the shutter! .

Connected the battery, switched on the electronic fuel pump and waited quietly for a full 5 minutes, allowing all the fuel lines and the carburettor to fill up completely with petrol, purging all the air bubbles out. Then cranked the starter, the engine started instantly and settled down to its trademark muted growl due to the S1 exhaust system. It took me around 5 minutes to take it out of that extremely tight spot without touching anything anywhere. Once it was outside, I gave it a healthy wash with a water pipe.

Started from Ashwin Sector CIDCO, drove to the Pathardi Phata petrol pump, filled fuel and pumped up the tires, started from Pathardi Phata exactly at 1245 hrs and drove to Parsi Colony Dadar, Mumbai, reached exactly at 1515 hrs, that's 172 kms in 2 hours and 30 minutes at an average speed of 69 kmph with a couple of minutes halt on the Bhiwandi bypass for a PUC. That's not bad, not bad at all for an engine which has never been opened!

I intend to use the car regularly in Mumbai and also take it for the Sunday morning classic car drives at the Starbucks at Fort (if I can get up in the mornings) .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 10th April 2015 at 16:26.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 18:56   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I intend to use the car regularly in Mumbai and also take it for the Sunday morning classic car drives at the Starbucks at Fort (if I can get up in the mornings) .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behrambhai: Very nice write-up. This proves that if the engine is set with the CORRECT parameters, it has to start at the first ignition. The same phenomenon is with my 118NE. Even after 15-20 days of rest, it starts at the first turn of the key.
People will not tune ALL the parameters CORRECTLY and then will complain it takes long to start and engine is rubbish and it has gone old and blah blah..
But tune it as recommended by the factory and you will be delighted by how these engines perform.

Last edited by KkVaidya : 10th April 2015 at 18:57.
Old 10th April 2015, 19:21   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Behrambhai: Very nice write-up. This proves that if the engine is set with the CORRECT parameters, it has to start at the first ignition. The same phenomenon is with my 118NE. Even after 15-20 days of rest, it starts at the first turn of the key. People will not tune all the parameters correctly and then will complain it takes long to start and engine is rubbish and it has gone old and blah blah. But tune it as recommended by the factory and you will be delighted by how these engines perform.
Dear Vaidyaji - you are absolutely correct. As Anil Patel has permanently ingrained into my brain "there is only one way to do a perfect job and that is the only correct way"! The first owner's son used to work with me. Both the son and the father had told me in 2008, "Behram, be careful, the car just used to stop, so we have stopped using it". Well, the carburettor was leaking, the intake manifold breather was choked, the ignition coil was weak, the spark plug gap was incorrect, all 8 tappets were jammed, the points were pitted, the muffler was completely choked, the air cleaner was dirty, the list was quite long, but the base engine was, and is, healthy!

An i10 could not overtake for 50 kms! As we say in Gujarati "jena kaam te kare, bija kare to gota khaay"!

ENJOY! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks