Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 20:41   #1
BHPian

Standard 10 restoration

My father`s standard 10 being restored, thought i`ll share few pics. Got few pics here and more to add, hope you`ll like it. Car being restored by THRUSH RACING WORKS, mangalore
Attached Thumbnails
Standard 10 restoration-image098.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image099.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image100.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image101.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image102.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image103.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image104.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image106.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image107.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image108.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th August 2009 at 20:53. Reason: Please type using proper punctuation, helps with readability. Thanks
Old 20th August 2009, 21:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ho about some pre-restoration pics so we understand where this car is comming from?
Old 20th August 2009, 22:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Cal,

Good to finally see some pics. of your Standard!

Incidentally, I don't know about the expertise of the garage with old cars, but I must say they are doing a good job of restoring this car- taking off the front and rear mudguards while tinkering- this is how it should be done on these cars!

BTW, your "10" is actually called a PENNANT, that's the correct name for it, even though it was badged as a "10" in India:

http://www.philseed.com/files/images...pennant-sv.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/133889.jpg

Standard Ten - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyways, as mole says a few "Before" and "after" pics. would be more interesting/informative. Also were you able to ifnd out the original colour of the car? In the first pics. I can see a trace of green under the maroon? Based on that I presume it originally was cream & green.

Last edited by Stanher : 20th August 2009 at 23:08.
Old 20th August 2009, 23:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

One Pennant was broken down last week in B'lore. Pics were posted in some other thread. Its number was MEL 1.
Old 20th August 2009, 23:16   #5
BHPian

pics of the car before.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard 10 restoration-send-off-178.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-send-off-180.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-send-off-183.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-send-off-257.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-send-off-258.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-send-off-259.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-send-off-260.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-send-off-261.jpg  

Old 20th August 2009, 23:22   #6
BHPian

hey thanks for the info. am not sure about the original color of the car.. but the car now will be painted green n white. but the green selected here is a little light. the car was sandblasted first to check for rust and was then taken apart. the mechanical work is kept for last. the car will also be rubber coated underneath and inside..
Old 21st August 2009, 12:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
One Pennant was broken down last week in B'lore. Pics were posted in some other thread. Its number was MEL 1.
Arun, that car was not broken. It was standing in gujiri for buyer to come and pick up. Yes, one person bought that car for 17K. When I went there, those guys told me it was indeed for scrapping, but looks like it got rescued.
Old 21st August 2009, 13:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Arun, that car was not broken. It was standing in gujiri for buyer to come and pick up. Yes, one person bought that car for 17K. When I went there, those guys told me it was indeed for scrapping, but looks like it got rescued.
Oh thank god it was saved. I was in the Gujiri that morning at 6 when the car was there. There were two more ambys to be broken. Few guys were pushing one amby(to be broken) to park it next to the Pennant and meanwhile they lost control of the amby and it went and banged the Pennant. I did not care then as i thought Pennant was to be broken. Now feeling sad for it.
Old 21st August 2009, 14:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post

that car definitely was not worth 17k ,NO WAY!
Old 21st August 2009, 14:57   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Wish you all the best for this restoration. The Standard 10 is a stylish, comfortable, practical, peppy yet economical car to use - barring the horrid steering box and hydraulic clutch that is prone to failure. You will enjoy this car once complete. We have had one since new, and I happily used it daily for a few years in the early 2000s.

You must contact the Standard Motor Club in the UK for any queries, parts etc., they are most helpful

Standard Motor Club Home Page
Old 21st August 2009, 19:26   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Oh thank god it was saved. I was in the Gujiri that morning at 6 when the car was there. There were two more ambys to be broken. Few guys were pushing one amby(to be broken) to park it next to the Pennant and meanwhile they lost control of the amby and it went and banged the Pennant. I did not care then as i thought Pennant was to be broken. Now feeling sad for it.
Horrors! That explains the dent on the rear fender...these guys are not answerable to anyone, so damage is inevitable!
Old 21st August 2009, 19:39   #12
BHPian

Nice car! As Karlos said, its a very practical car, except for the steering. I don't know why for the life of me, the car did not have a rack and pinion steering, considering that its competitors, such as the Morris Minor, had one. One way to cut the steering play is to ensure that everything is new and set to the right specifications. My MG too has lousy steering, but many MG TCs have converted to Datsun or Volkswagen steering boxes, which are said to be more precise. There are several manufacturers who make the modification kit for the conversion. In fact, this is a bone of contention on the MG TC webring, where the originality freaks and the others have a constant stand off on the steering box conversion. I wonder if something of the kind could be tried on the Standard 10.
Old 21st August 2009, 20:39   #13
BHPian

few more of the pennant..
Attached Thumbnails
Standard 10 restoration-image109.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image110.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image131.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image132.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image133.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image134.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image135.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image136.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image137.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image138.jpg  

Old 21st August 2009, 21:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Well please give some more info of this car will be interested in knowing about it.Apart from body work what else are you getting done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
Nice car! As Karlos said, its a very practical car, except for the steering. I don't know why for the life of me, the car did not have a rack and pinion steering, considering that its competitors, such as the Morris Minor, had one. One way to cut the steering play is to ensure that everything is new and set to the right specifications. My MG too has lousy steering, but many MG TCs have converted to Datsun or Volkswagen steering boxes, which are said to be more precise. There are several manufacturers who make the modification kit for the conversion. In fact, this is a bone of contention on the MG TC webring, where the originality freaks and the others have a constant stand off on the steering box conversion. I wonder if something of the kind could be tried on the Standard 10.

Off topic-Yes the MG steerings are very bad.Even the one we did but now we thinking of importing a new one for it lets see. DO upload some pics of your MG .

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 21st August 2009 at 21:04.
Old 22nd August 2009, 00:22   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Cal,
Glad to finally more pics. of your car! It seems quite complete, luckily! Pity about those side-trims being riveted on though!
Were you able to get them rectified?
Also steering wheel seems to be from a Herald, as do the indicator/dipper switch levers; but if you get the spoke trims that came on the Pennant s.wheels, you can fit those onto this s.wheel.

Quote:
As sid says, the car was not broken but saved(?)

And that was NOT a Pennant btw, but a SUPER 10, the predecessor of the pennant- the Pennant, which came later had visible bodystyle changes, like the "hooded" headlamps and tail-fins, as seen on cal's car. Plus some cosmetic changes as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
that car definitely was not worth 17k ,NO WAY!
With similar cars as restoration projects, in similar condition, going for not less than 30k nowadays, IMHO 17k is reasonable even for a parts car!
I'd have bought it for that much had it been feasible at present! Or even otherwise, I would've had I atleast known he'd give it for that much! :(

@sudharma, I thought the Pennant/10 too were rack and pinion steering?? Which is why the steering wheels are interchangeable with those of Heralds, as seen in cal's car.

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd August 2009 at 00:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks