Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2010, 18:48   #61
BHPian

Ok heres some history of the car. The vehicle was imported by the Photo Interpretation cell of the National remote Sensing Agency, Dehra Dun, in approx Oct 69, registered 22 Oct 69. Panels show original paint Grey Blue (now white). The Chassis is4211169 G and the original petrol engine was 24105605-A but was retro fitted with a LR diesel of 1968 number 90673507c in 1997. The vehicle has just been used for a British film "West is west" (a follow on to East is East, starring Om Puri. some of you may have seen it around 1997) being shot in India to recreate 1950s India.

heres some pics of the padding on the bulkhead and some putty work.
Polly
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9440.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9443.jpg  

Polly Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2010, 19:10   #62
Senior - BHPian

Hi Polly.

Its looking good, way to go.

One question,did you strip the paint of the entire car? Some parts still look like they have the old paint on them.
Old 3rd January 2010, 21:30   #63
BHPian

HI polly i too own an 61 model land rover petrol similar to yours belonged to chowglays of goa single owner yet to do restrotation very little rust on the front door frames and its red and off white when i start work will post some pics
Old 3rd January 2010, 21:51   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi Polly.

Its looking good, way to go.

One question,did you strip the paint of the entire car? Some parts still look like they have the old paint on them.
well weve stripped off as much as we could possible. Weve left the inside roof (coz we ll paint it the same colour) and tub. Do you mean the seat box?? thats yet to be stripped.
Polly
Old 3rd January 2010, 21:53   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial.s.a View Post
HI polly i too own an 61 model land rover petrol similar to yours belonged to chowglays of goa single owner yet to do restrotation very little rust on the front door frames and its red and off white when i start work will post some pics
Wow thats a rare colour, look fwd to that one, so is it a Series I or early 2A??
How many LRs are there in Bangalore ? and i mean the series vehicles not the Gaylanders
Polly
Old 3rd January 2010, 22:01   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly Singh View Post
Wow thats a rare colour, look fwd to that one, so is it a Series I or early 2A??
How many LRs are there in Bangalore ? and i mean the series vehicles not the Gaylanders
Polly
hi polly its an series 2 i will take advice on how to do the tin work and the paint what kind of patti or the meterials to paint the landy
Old 3rd January 2010, 22:27   #67
BHPian

hey just give it to a trusted body works guy, theyll know what to do, nothing really special required. Just passion and patience. By the way here are some pics of 1:35 model i built of the seriesIII 109' British Army SAS vehicle used in Malaysia also sometimes knows as the Pink Panther as they were sometimes painted pink in the desert.
Polly
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_4127.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_4128.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_4129.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_4130.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_4131.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_4132.jpg  

Old 3rd January 2010, 22:56   #68
BHPian

Hey this is good stuff, Polly! How did you make this model? It is quite impressive!

Just for everyone else's reference, attaching a pink panther's real picture- how they were painted in pink to escape detection in deserts.

Hi Imperial, we must catch up sometime, considering you are based in Bangalore as well. We do have a close network of all Land Rover owners in Bangalore- will be great to connect with you too & get to see your Landy.

Regards,
Abhishek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly Singh View Post
hey just give it to a trusted body works guy, theyll know what to do, nothing really special required. Just passion and patience. By the way here are some pics of 1:35 model i built of the seriesIII 109' British Army SAS vehicle used in Malaysia also sometimes knows as the Pink Panther as they were sometimes painted pink in the desert.
Polly
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-pp01fq.jpg  

Old 3rd January 2010, 23:05   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_d_zulu View Post
Hey this is good stuff, Polly! How did you make this model? It is quite impressive!

Just for everyone else's reference, attaching a pink panther's real picture- how they were painted in pink to escape detection in deserts.

Hi Imperial, we must catch up sometime, considering you are based in Bangalore as well. We do have a close network of all Land Rover owners in Bangalore- will be great to connect with you too & get to see your Landy.

Regards,
Abhishek
Well its a Italeri Plastic model Kit, iam mainly into aircraft and armour just did this in the break!!.
Polly
Old 5th January 2010, 07:43   #70
Senior - BHPian

Great Polly jee,

The thread is going great. i would love to come and see the LR if you allow me to do so. Letting the Son win is a Win for you itself.

Take care.
I hope one day when i get A LR or a Jeep i would be able to restore it the way you are doing it.

DesiD
Old 6th January 2010, 21:52   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Great Polly jee,

The thread is going great. i would love to come and see the LR if you allow me to do so. Letting the Son win is a Win for you itself.

Take care.
I hope one day when i get A LR or a Jeep i would be able to restore it the way you are doing it.

DesiD
thanx Desideep sure will let you know when its up and running
Polly
Old 8th January 2010, 02:07   #72

Hi Polly, great work on the land rover. I hear that the colour is ging to be a surprize,
Please don,t paint it pink like Suneri wants.

I desided on Richard Petty Blue for the Chevelle.

All the best
Old 8th January 2010, 10:58   #73
BHPian

way hey Chevell guy,
gr8 to see you here!! If Suneri wants Pink then thats what its gonna be!
Richard Petty Blue ??? Lost me there bro
any pics of the Chevell??
Polly
Old 9th January 2010, 22:55   #74
BHPian

well not much 'seeable' progress just lots of puttying and grinding and spraying surfacer and red oxide and sanding !! well visited Moga to have my seats done and lfind Chequered plate and hoses and diesel pipes and have my instruments seen to plus find tether chains for the fuel filler cap and radiator cap and other miscellaneous stuff.
Found lots of Jeep chasiss on sale with the toyota 2c engine and this mobile Mr Fixit who can fix any instrument/sensor you name
Polly
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9515.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9517.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9518.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9519.jpg  

Old 11th January 2010, 21:30   #75
BHPian

Ok so we today completely rebuilt a new tail board of sheet and used the original ribs and attachments. Then we did the rear seats which will be traditional folding bench seats. the original aluminium Birmabright sheet from the tailboard we used to make the cubby box under the centre seat and then we threw all the hinges into the fire to get the paint of, built a new bonnet locking hasp and used the original turn buckle from under the passenger side seat and trial fitted it to the radiator /grill panel (to prevent the battery from being stolen!!). Ground some of the POs botched welding in the bulkhead area as well to get it ready for painting as well. Slow but steady
Polly
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9522.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9445.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9450.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9453.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9454.jpg  

Last edited by Polly Singh : 11th January 2010 at 21:32.

Most Viewed