Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2010, 22:37   #91
BHPian

today after some basic painting, put together some bits to see how she looks. How does she look then?? Is the all green body ok or should i make the side rear window panels and tail gate top also lime stone?/ Then we did some chequered plate for the tub next will be the cab floor and wing tops.
Polly
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9687.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9688.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9689.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9692.jpg  

Polly Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2010, 23:42   #92
Team-BHP Support

I think the color combo is just perfect, no need to deviate. Great going as usual!
Old 29th January 2010, 01:03   #93
Senior - BHPian

I feel if the window panels can be coloured limestone it will look fine along with the same colour on wheels.

How about the front mesh what is the colour polly sir?
Old 29th January 2010, 10:05   #94
BHPian

I agree, the window panels would look better if they matched the roof colour. The front grille should be silver I guess. What about the bumper?
Old 29th January 2010, 21:05   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
I agree, the window panels would look better if they matched the roof colour. The front grille should be silver I guess. What about the bumper?
Oh No i was hoping you would like the present scheme, its uncommon for the series Landy but not wholly incorrect. The configuration and schemes the series Landys came in was mind boggling add to that upgrades, repairs and replacements and you have a veritable pot pouri of styles. My only grouch against your recommended scheme is that it would look too much like a Gypsy !!
iam making the headlamp surrounds matt black as opposed to the standard silver, the grill matt black, the wing chequer plate- matt black and the bumper stock silver (hammer-down silver with the pebbled effect) likewise the windshield, cappings on tub and door tops. Sounds any better??
Regards
Polly

Last edited by Polly Singh : 29th January 2010 at 21:07.
Old 30th January 2010, 01:38   #96
Senior - BHPian

Sounds absolutely fine to me. Yes the headlamp rims would look beautiful with new sealbeam and matt finished rims even my Willys has the same way.

Do put some badges like "AA" or some landrover badge with yellow colour it looks cool on the front mesh.

Have you thought about a mesh (a rectangled box) for indicators on the front with the limestone colour polly sir. If it is apt.

Once finished would this be a day to day commuting vehicle or only on special occassions polly ji?
Old 4th February 2010, 22:13   #97
BHPian

Well, hard work continues through the night, its all the small stuff now, tried out a silver on the barbecue grill and re did the steering wheel and the dash. Removed the glow plug heater indication which the PO had put into the dash leaving an ugly hole by riveting a sheet cutout and filling it with body filler.Entering the last lap now!!
Polly
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_8587.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9751.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9763.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9740.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9741.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9749.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9760.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9762.jpg  

Last edited by Polly Singh : 4th February 2010 at 22:17.
Polly Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2010, 22:43   #98
Senior - BHPian

Really a great and commendable work being carried out by you Mr Singh. It seems that working on a car having a full aluminum sheet body is very tough and time consuming as one wrong move will lead to more hard work. In metal one can repair the mistake, such as getting the wrong hole covered made in fender, by welding it but not in this case. You are doing true justice to this ancient beauty by supervising each and every rivet going on it. Hats off to you Mr Singh.
Old 5th February 2010, 11:27   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly Singh View Post
Oh No i was hoping you would like the present scheme, its uncommon for the series Landy but not wholly incorrect. The configuration and schemes the series Landys came in was mind boggling add to that upgrades, repairs and replacements and you have a veritable pot pouri of styles. My only grouch against your recommended scheme is that it would look too much like a Gypsy !!
iam making the headlamp surrounds matt black as opposed to the standard silver, the grill matt black, the wing chequer plate- matt black and the bumper stock silver (hammer-down silver with the pebbled effect) likewise the windshield, cappings on tub and door tops. Sounds any better??
Regards
Polly
Matt black headlamp surrounds would be nice. Wing-top chequer-plate also.

Not sure about the grille though, black would be a very "low-contrast" look. I guess it's hard to imagine without actually seeing it. But at the end of the day it's your car and there's no right or wrong. The only success criterion is that it should put a smile on your face every time you look at it, and going by the pics you've posted I think it's well on it's way to achieving that goal!!
Old 6th February 2010, 07:48   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Really a great and commendable work being carried out by you Mr Singh. It seems that working on a car having a full aluminum sheet body is very tough and time consuming as one wrong move will lead to more hard work. In metal one can repair the mistake, such as getting the wrong hole covered made in fender, by welding it but not in this case. You are doing true justice to this ancient beauty by supervising each and every rivet going on it. Hats off to you Mr Singh.
dear Samsag 12, thanx for your kind words, yes it is a built difficult to work with aluminium alloy Birmabright which the landy is made off, warps easily under heat, have to be careful when welding if at all, riveting is best!!
Regards
Polly
Old 6th February 2010, 07:50   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Matt black headlamp surrounds would be nice. Wing-top chequer-plate also.

Not sure about the grille though, black would be a very "low-contrast" look. I guess it's hard to imagine without actually seeing it. But at the end of the day it's your car and there's no right or wrong. The only success criterion is that it should put a smile on your face every time you look at it, and going by the pics you've posted I think it's well on it's way to achieving that goal!!
Thanx Ajit, exactly my thoughts!!! and how its probably gonna turn out.......
Polly
Old 11th February 2010, 00:58   #102
Senior - BHPian

Polly sir any new updates, hungry here.
Old 11th February 2010, 07:50   #103
BHPian

Hi Poly, I have been watching this thread very closely, Interested to get the updates. Did anybody notice that this thread has got 5*.
Good going poly, waiting for the update
Old 13th February 2010, 20:17   #104
BHPian

well guys everything is held up as wiring is on now, then we' ll do the last touch ups and cutting of the paint. Was trying to get the play out of the steering and found all the ball joints shot. could have temporarily fixed them, but that would have lasted only a few months especially in the off road scenario, so spent a few days hunting for alternatives and came up with the Ford tractors ball joints which fit well but have an extra thread on the reverse thread side of the rod ends. had to have an extra thread cut into the tie rods and we are good to go now. Took apart the indicator assembly and wondered at the simple mechanical wizadry. The lever simply puts a shaft which is under spring tension-off kilter and the rubber gromet sitting under the steering wheel hub, releases it when the driver turns the wheel the other way, the assembly even has a green flashing light in situ which flashes whenever its engaged !!! had it cleaned out, buffed and put back as new with a new rubber gromet.

Had some logo stickers made for the mud flaps as well.

Put a relay in the head light circuit to prevent the sealed gas head lamps from blowing in case of an over- voltage runaway from the original but unregulated Lucas alternator as well.

Deviated greatly from stock by putting the fuse box under the dash as against the engine bay as i dont see myself stepping out into the pouring rain of a sudden 4 :30 PM Bangalore shower to open the bonnet and fiddle with the fuse box. Still have the original fuse box and could revert to original quite easily!!

the seats also just came in !!

Heres a pic of an old man driving a "Moga" jeep on the high way near the garage , thought you photo hungry BHPians might stop panting long enough for me to make some progress on my car !!!! enzoy
Polly
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9779.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9781.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9842.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9759.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9758.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9732.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9735.jpg  

Old 14th February 2010, 01:44   #105
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!!! our family is 6 years young today!!

This thread is rated 5* a well deserved credit. Looking forward to the British beauty revealing its New Avtar,

Polly Sir any plans of a nice PHOTO SHOOT once completed?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks