Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 23:17   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
Hi jeepster,
Also you need to have the mark1 or mark2 tail light base to fix these lenses so check if your car has them. They are identical to the mark3 / mark4 bases except for the small clips to hold the lenses.
There is also an aluminium strip which is fixed with two screws that is a gap filler between the lenses. Its like this one here:
Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-untitled1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
Searching for the right taillight plastic lens to fit the space.
The signal indicator - upper orange one is a bit larger but can be fitted with a little adjustment. The brakelight one is available only in white and orange. One option is to use a red coloured light inside, other to paint the lens with red color on the inside.
The lenses you have procured though temporarily OK, may please be changed for the original ones as and when you get these. The orange one here looks like a straight lift from the indicators of the Yamaha RX 100.
So I would say stick to these and replace them as soon as you get the originals.
Old 14th April 2010, 07:36   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Hi jeepster,

I have a spare tail light lenses set with me so I've sent a PM to you regarding this. Also you need to have the mark1 or mark2 tail light base to fix these lenses so check if your car has them. They are identical to the mark3 / mark4 bases except for the small clips to hold the lenses.
Jay, That will be great. I have sent you a PM. Will post the photos of taillight bases too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
There is also an aluminium strip which is fixed with two screws that is a gap filler between the lenses. Its like this one here:
Attachment 328799

The lenses you have procured though temporarily OK, may please be changed for the original ones as and when you get these. The orange one here looks like a straight lift from the indicators of the Yamaha RX 100.
So I would say stick to these and replace them as soon as you get the originals.
Anjan, Thanks for highlighting this. Yes, the lens are from Yamaha / bullet indicator lights. Jay would be sending me a set of mark I taillight lens which he has with him .

Did the Mark I and Mark II models have the same - taillights lens and bases ?
Old 14th April 2010, 09:37   #48
Senior - BHPian

Jeepster congratulations on the progress you are making. Now that the rear light issue is getting resolved I am happy for you. I thought markII has the normal tail lamps with half red and orange ones, i never knew they come with these round lenses as Mark I. great going buddy now how about the front head lamp ring are they also similar to the MarkI I am sure they are wide and conical on the top for MarkIIs'. Another doubt, I've seen couple of MarkI here in Hyd there grille are quite different few are flat and few have a curve on their grille, I am sorry I will post the pictures of the difference next time are there any differences in the shape then for MarkIIs' I guess Anjan would be able to throw more light on this.
Old 14th April 2010, 18:28   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
Anjan, Thanks for highlighting this. Yes, the lens are from Yamaha / bullet indicator lights. Jay would be sending me a set of mark I taillight lens which he has with him .

Did the Mark I and Mark II models have the same - taillights lens and bases ?
Yes they had the same tail light assembly and lenses. Only the quality deteriorated with the Indianisation of the car.
Old 15th April 2010, 18:00   #50
BHPian

Further update on the work done

Chanu, Thanks for your kind comments. The headlight rings are also ordered, will post photos once I receive them.

Anjan, Thanks for the confirmation.

The rear suspension work got completed with leafsprings being removed,checked for any issues,greased and refitted with new bushings.

The garage fellow is now working on the LHS front door.

Did not carry the camera to the garage hence no photos are posted.
Old 16th April 2010, 22:32   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

jeepster09: There is a link for the manual and tech specs of the Amby OHV. Please view this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...on-manual.html
Old 1st May 2010, 14:40   #52
BHPian

More tinwork completed

Update on the tinwork done.

- Flooring,running boards are almost complete
- Both LHS doors have been done,rear one needs some work which will be
done during aligning
- Taillight housing changed
- Rear windscreen glass frame being repaired
- Zinc oxide sprayed on the completed portions

The engine is going to be removed for the repairs to the engine bay area and chassis.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-46.jpg  

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-47.jpg  

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-48.jpg  

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-49.jpg  

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-50.jpg  

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-51.jpg  

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-52.jpg  

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-53.jpg  

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-54.jpg  

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-55.jpg  

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-56.jpg  

Old 8th May 2010, 14:19   #53
BHPian

Chassis repair work done

The chassis is being repaired currently. The engine has been removed for this work and now I am searching for the engine foundation mounts on which the engine is placed. Checked in a few shops today they do not have them.

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-62.jpg Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-63.jpg

Some photos of the engine and the chasiss repair work in progress.

Name:  amby restore 57.jpg
Views: 6370
Size:  78.0 KB
Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-58.jpg
Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-59.jpg
Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-60.jpg

The rear windscreen outer frame repaired, the inside supporting frame to be repaired.

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-61.jpg
Old 8th May 2010, 14:54   #54
Senior - BHPian

Your car is Mark II but converted o Mark3 by the earleir owner. That is why the grill and front park lamps are different. Mark3 was sold only for a shorter period. The mark3 instrument cluster was same as later gen Mark II but mounted in a recess inside. The initial mark IV also had the same cluster. Then the bumper was only at the ends, the centre one was not there which later on was added.
Old 8th May 2010, 19:05   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Your car is Mark II but converted o Mark3 by the earleir owner. That is why the grill and front park lamps are different. Mark3 was sold only for a shorter period. The mark3 instrument cluster was same as later gen Mark II but mounted in a recess inside. The initial mark IV also had the same cluster. Then the bumper was only at the ends, the centre one was not there which later on was added.
Thanks for your comments, Rajeev.

Yes, the car is Mark II but the grill and front park lamps were of Mark 4 model. I have arranged for Mark II grill,head lights rings and logos and am waiting for the same to come to me.

For the mark II instrument cluster, I do not have much reference materail available except for one or two pictures. To complete the car,I am planning to have a simple cluster panel made out of metal which will hopefully suit the looks and not look out of place. In future, as and when I come across some good detailed photos of the original panel or get one, will add the same.

Regards,
Sanat
Old 8th May 2010, 19:21   #56
Senior - BHPian

Dear Sanat,
Your car has grill and parklamps of Mark III, even the grill appears to me like mark 3 with mark for type styling for the slats, perhaps could be an after market mark3 one.

Regarding the instrument cluster try to get markII type as this will retain originality.

Your car being 1970 model had that piano type four light warning combination light and speedos having green yellow and red markings indicating safe, high and dangerous speeds. The meters then were of two brands Yenkay and Autometer with two gauges, Ammeter and Fuel gauge on the side of the warning lamps.
This was introduced in 1970 where the key start instead of the pull start was also introduced.In 1970 model the instruments were mounted on a single metallic steel with hammertone style aluminium look painting. From 1971Mark II to Mark3, there was a mica laminate strips flanking the top and bottom of a corrugated aluminium strips with the meters remaining the same.

None of the photos posted by you shows the instrument cluster. If it can be posted I may be of some help please.

The head light rings are Mark 3 or IV type because in Mark II the rings were more wider.

Rajeev

Last edited by rajeev k : 8th May 2010 at 19:28. Reason: addition
Old 8th May 2010, 19:42   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Dear Sanat,
In 1970 model the instruments were mounted on a single metallic steel with hammertone style aluminium look painting. From 1971Mark II to Mark3, there was a mica laminate strips flanking the top and bottom of a corrugated aluminium strips with the meters remaining the same.

None of the photos posted by you shows the instrument cluster. If it can be posted I may be of some help please.

Rajeev
Hi Rajeev,

Thanks for your detailed notes. The below photo which I have taken from this site would be from 1971 Mark II Amby dashboard. The mica laminate would not be present in the 1970 model, right ?

Regards

Name:  mark II dashboard.bmp
Views: 7079
Size:  900.1 KB

Last edited by jeepster09 : 8th May 2010 at 19:43.
Old 8th May 2010, 23:28   #58
Senior - BHPian

Yes right it is 1971 Amby. But a doubt because the switches are on ordinary plates whereas in 1971 that also was in laminate.

Last edited by rajeev k : 8th May 2010 at 23:29. Reason: correction
Old 8th May 2010, 23:54   #59
BHPian

Good luck! grew up with a 73. miss her till date.
Old 9th May 2010, 13:13   #60
Senior - BHPian

Boy O Boy! lot of tin work this shows me your love for the car. Great job I could see the car shaping up to the original spec. I remembered you when I say a MarkII with the original tail lamp though faded very much while going to my jeep denter.

I have a question the Mark II steering wheel is slightly towards the right side which makes few drivers to tilt towards the door and drive if I am not wrong. Any light on this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks