Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 15:45   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Yes, the rectangular one on the red car you posted is wrong as well, seems to be a mk1 or fiat sidelight.

With the roof missing, you'd be left with no choice but to make it a convertible!

But I can help you with pics./diagrams, apart from that of the jaipur car, so you will have the right idea.
If you could do that it would be really of great help.Thanks. i m waiting for the pics and diagrams!
Old 24th March 2010, 17:21   #17
BHPian

Here are few new pics of the car. I have tried to photograph as much as possible. Sorry I had no time to get it washed till now. But will do so soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard Herald 1967-img_2138.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2139.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2140.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2141.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2142.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2143.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2145.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2146.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2147.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2148.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2149.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2150.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2151.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2152.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2153.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2154.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2155.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2156.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 24th March 2010, 18:35   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasthebiker View Post
Here are few new pics of the car. I have tried to photograph as much as possible. Sorry I had no time to get it washed till now. But will do so soon.
No probs, they are very much in accordance to the "as bought" status of the car!

Anyways, the car seems pretty much complete, needing only few things to resurrect it. The engine bay seems to have everything intact, including the original air-filter.
The dashboard too, luckily for you, is thankfully still "unmolested" with everything intact, barring the ashtray at the centre. Usually on Heralds in India, this is the main thing that changes! It is supposed to have wood veneer on top though, and the glovebox never came with a door (see pic. for reference)

Standard Herald 1967-dsc00731.jpg

The inner door handles are not original, outer ones are though.

And yes, now that you showed the pics., I can see the trim on the driver's door missing too.

Your car still has the base for mounting the sidelights on, so only the lights have to be found.
Old 24th March 2010, 18:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
No probs, they are very much in accordance to the "as bought" status of the car!

Your car still has the base for mounting the sidelights on, so only the lights have to be found.
Shyam, I still fail to understand how on earth do you know all such minor details? Any secrets in the bag that are undisclosed
Old 24th March 2010, 18:53   #20
BHPian

So where do I start the search for the missing parts? Do you know anyone around Delhi who might have the required parts?
Old 24th March 2010, 23:15   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So where do I start the search for the missing parts? Do you know anyone around Delhi who might have the required parts?
I'm afraid that off-hand I dont! Delhi is too remote for me when it comes to Standards. These cars are as rare over there.
But I know of another guy who's restoring a Herald there- he is "kahai" on this forum. You could try getting in touch with him.
But even otherwise, the parts in general are quite scarce. Even I resort to importing some really dodgy ones but mostly cosmetic.
Mechanically we are still thankfully not yet starved atleast down south.

Also VERY IMPORTANT: Did you check for the chassis no./ID plate on your car?? It should be present on the inner front mudguard, either left or right hand side, usually the left, right under the place where the battery sits, just before the front door hinges. You can see it with the bonnet open. Here is what an ORIGINAL one looks like:

Standard Herald 1967-mk2cplate.jpg

Standard Herald 1967-cplatearea.jpg

It would be either in this or black in colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
Shyam, I still fail to understand how on earth do you know all such minor details? Any secrets in the bag that are undisclosed
The secret is plain experience, shisya!

I've been studying these cars in detail ever since I was like 15-16. But I still wish I were a bit older so I couldve got to study more of them!

Last edited by Stanher : 24th March 2010 at 23:20.
Old 25th March 2010, 08:02   #22
Senior - BHPian

Its great to see the car being saved from the chisels of scrapper. Kudos to damasthebiker for saving it after a lot of ups and downs. BTW i am a frequent visitor of scrapyard, and if i find any herald i can get some parts off it. So please list the things you require.
Old 25th March 2010, 09:30   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
BTW i am a frequent visitor of scrapyard, and if i find any herald i can get some parts off it. So please list the things you require.
Even better you get the Herald, if it is as good as this!!

If not for yourself, surely for someone else who's crazy about these cars!
Old 25th March 2010, 09:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

damasthebiker and Shyam,

If any one has access to the Auto parts stores in Raipur & Bhilai/Durg (Part of Chattisgarh State), one would definitely find a lot of Standard parts in old shops. The problem is I have very little time to go to these places and help any one.
Old 25th March 2010, 13:51   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Its great to see the car being saved from the chisels of scrapper. Kudos to damasthebiker for saving it after a lot of ups and downs. BTW i am a frequent visitor of scrapyard, and if i find any herald i can get some parts off it. So please list the things you require.
Hi Samsag12, thanks I wish and hope i can save more of our heritage on wheels ,
this is all I can think of right now:

all the Lights,
Horn switch(for the steering),
Combination switch(Steering-see picture)
rear boot hinge(see picture),
Badges,Mark II
a spare wheel(only rim would do)
brake master cylinders
beedings/trims for both front doors.
beedings for Bonnet
Inner door handles(both side)
Attached Thumbnails
Standard Herald 1967-img_2149.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-cs.jpg  

Old 25th March 2010, 15:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Samsag12, thanks I wish and hope i can save more of our heritage on wheels ,
this is all I can think of right now:

all the Lights,
Badges,Mark II
brake master cylinders
beedings for Bonnet
Will surely get them if i find here.
Old 25th March 2010, 22:07   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
all the Lights,
Badges,Mark II
brake master cylinders
beedings for Bonnet
Lights: Headlights and even the side-indicators (larger round ones) can be had, although not original Lucas ones. Tail-light covers are very difficult to get now. Madras or Bangalore may be your best bet.
Horn switch- you mean horn button? I may have a couple of local ones to spare.
Badges, I have a 'Standard' badge for the rear, "Mark II" badge you can get from an Amby mark 2, they are the same.

I do have a rim to spare.

Are you sure you you need the m.cylinders? They both seem intact, just the kits would do. You can get lucas-TVS kits in Madras.

Boot hinge I have one, taken from a mk3 but its the same and the chrome is in quite good shape.

I may have an aluminium centre trim for the bonnet lying around at home.

Inner door handles very difficult to source here too- they are also known to break easily around the place where they are pinned in place. Importing good used ones would be better.

Last edited by Stanher : 25th March 2010 at 22:17.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Lights: Headlights and even the side-indicators (larger round ones) can be had, although not original Lucas ones.Please send pics as I could not get them here niether the small ones nor the big ones.Tail-light covers are very difficult to get now. Madras or Bangalore may be your best bet. I got one pair see pics
Horn switch- you mean horn button? I may have a couple of local ones to spare. I got one from see pic, though I think its not the right one.
Badges, I have a 'Standard' badge for the rear, "Mark II" badge you can get from an Amby mark 2, they are the same. I need the one badge for the front(bonnet - where there is "Playboy" written) and one for the boot("Standard") I will try to find the "mark II "badge locally, can you please send photos of what you have?

I do have a rim to spare. Wow Great can I get it? You have my email address just let me know the details.

Are you sure you you need the m.cylinders? They both seem intact, just the kits would do. You can get lucas-TVS kits in Madras. I think so, thats what my mech said.

Boot hinge I have one, taken from a mk3 but its the same and the chrome is in quite good shape.I got one pair see the pics

I may have an aluminium centre trim for the bonnet lying around at home. I have the bonnet centre trim intact. What I need is the door side trims and the bonnet side trims.

Inner door handles very difficult to source here too- they are also known to break easily around the place where they are pinned in place. Importing good used ones would be better.
I think I will stick with the ones whic are in place right now till the time i get the original ones.

I also get the indicator switch assembly, see pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard Herald 1967-img_2187.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2186.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2183.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2184.jpg  

Old 30th March 2010, 21:24   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think I will stick with the ones whic are in place right now till the time i get the original ones.

I also get the indicator switch assembly, see pic.
Good to see you've got some of the parts already! I'm flabbergasted at the new tail-lamps still available there!

The horn-button you got is not a Standard one, seems to be something made for multiple makes, maybe to fit Matador steering wheels. But it would be a right fit.
Reg. the rim, I will need to know your address to send it to.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:00   #30
BHPian

Hi Stanher,
Do you think the indicator switch assembly which I got is the right one? Can you tell me which switches are meant for what on the dashboard?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks