Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2010, 22:50   #106
Senior - BHPian

This is excellent progress. Do the folk over there work full time on your restoration or attend others too? Looks like they are dedicated to your car which feels good.

Yes, its good to finish troubleshooting fully before the head is removed.
Old 18th May 2010, 11:13   #107
BHPian

[quote=funkykar;1888778]This is excellent progress. Do the folk over there work full time on your restoration or attend others too? Looks like they are dedicated to your car which feels good.

There is only one mech who is working on my car that too as and when he gets time.These kind of restorations can take a lot of time as the parts are generally not available off the shelf that was the reason I didnt push the mech to work for me exclusively.

I managed to get a set of Engine packings including gaskit plus a set of size 10 piston rings. The shopkeeper says its better to put size 10 rings as the bore might already be bigger in the middle so the rings will fit well.Is it true? or should I go in for standard size rings?
Old 18th May 2010, 13:56   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasthebiker View Post

I managed to get a set of Engine packings including gaskit plus a set of size 10 piston rings. The shopkeeper says its better to put size 10 rings as the bore might already be bigger in the middle so the rings will fit well.Is it true? or should I go in for standard size rings?
I think if the engine need to be done you either get oversize 0.10 pistons and rings or you keep to standard size.Now you need to open up the egnine and take the pistons and get them checked at the local machine shop wheather they can be reused or not. If they can be and you need to bore your engine then you go for new rings and just ask him to reseleave the block to standard size.But then you need to get a new set of rings for that.
Old 18th May 2010, 16:03   #109
BHPian

thanks for the advice Indrojit Ji. I have finally decided what you have suggested - I will go in for a change of rings - my mech checked and informed me that the pistons are in good shape and can be reused without any problem he said only new standard size rings will do the trick to get back the engine in shape and in the worst case we can resleeve the block.
Old 18th May 2010, 16:27   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks for the advice Indrojit Ji. I have finally decided what you have suggested - I will go in for a change of rings - my mech checked and informed me that the pistons are in good shape and can be reused without any problem he said only new standard size rings will do the trick to get back the engine in shape and in the worst case we can resleeve the block.

My advice to you would be get the pistons checked by a speialist and then if they can be used then i think you should go ahead with the resleeving of the block, this would last for a longer period then just changing the rings. What is the condition of the bearings and the valves ? You could consider changing the valves and the valve guides as well. At the end you would get a roaring engine .
Old 19th May 2010, 00:03   #111
Senior - BHPian

You can check for valve sealing on the seat, if the valves seem to be in good condition.

on bigger engine's (50Liters) with individual head, we supply compressed air from the inlet / exhaust manifold hole and then immerse the whole head in water to observe any leaks in valve seating.

If leaks are present there, we nead to lap the seat by the paste, bigger engines we have seat inserts to male our job easy .
Old 19th May 2010, 22:49   #112
Senior - BHPian

Any progress on the engine work yet? Do post pictures of the pistons and rings.
Old 23rd May 2010, 01:44   #113
Senior - BHPian

So did you get the standard size rings ? What is the status of the work on the engine and the other mechanicals ?
Old 23rd May 2010, 18:03   #114
BHPian

In the last couple of days we could manage to fix the brake pipelines and get the head fixed(valve setting and grinding) its just today that we have completely opened the engine. The Head of the pistons were cleaned and thus we found that the piston read "030" so I assume that the pistons are 30 oversize. The matching 30 size rings are not available at places I know so I have ordered them with local ring maker in Agra(Agra is one of the biggest place in India where they produce Pistons and rings - for almost all the cars these guys even export them to various western countries). I am hopefull that by tomorrow I should get the rings.

I shall uploads pics early tomorrow morning.
Old 25th May 2010, 09:08   #115
BHPian

Here are the pics as promised. Head has been done up. Brake pipelines are fixed.
Still on a lookout for rings of size 030(though I have ordered them) If someone has size 030 rings to spare it would be really great.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard Herald 1967-img_2880.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2882.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2884.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2885.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2886.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2887.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2888.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2890.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2893.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2894.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2899.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2901.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2903.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2906.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2907.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2909.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2914.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2917.jpg  

Attached Images

damasthebiker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2010, 00:03   #116
Senior - BHPian

Now that looks like some good work done. Just waiting to see the engine started up.
Old 26th May 2010, 00:37   #117
Senior - BHPian

Lightning Fast

The best part of this car resto/thread is the way thing are done (clean and neat) and apart from that everytime you check there is something new and better happening on the car. I am glued to this thread and last but not the least my signature dialouge " all the very best of good luck".
Old 26th May 2010, 09:56   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
The best part of this car resto/thread is the way thing are done (clean and neat) and apart from that everytime you check there is something new and better happening on the car.
Sorry for the silence on my side, been busy with my exams.
BTW, wouldnt it be good to get the engine block also painted, especially now that it's out? A red like you've used on the front srpings will look good, considering the car too is a red one.
Old 26th May 2010, 10:14   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Sorry for the silence on my side, been busy with my exams.
BTW, wouldnt it be good to get the engine block also painted, especially now that it's out? A red like you've used on the front srpings will look good, considering the car too is a red one.
Definately, it will be done I was not considering red for the engine colour but since you have suggested it I find it quite a good idea - lets paint the engine red.
What about tappet cover and head - Black or Silver?

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th May 2010 at 19:55. Reason: Please avoid posting the entire text in bold, thanks
Old 26th May 2010, 11:21   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What about tappet cover and head - Black or Silver?
Definitely black is a better choice!
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks